Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 20, 2020 8:01 AM

Mar 2017
Well, at least now I know why the show isn't more popular or rated higher. I though this was a hidden gem, and for the most part it really way, but it couldn't stick the landing in the end. I will still remember parts of it fondly though. Maybe I'll read the manga one day to continue the story, but the constant recaps kind of made me fed up with the story for now...
Nov 25, 2020 3:14 PM
Sep 2019
Aduh... Animenya udah bagus tapi kenapa banyak recap? Seharusnya dibikin alur cerita aja percuma terus bikin recap tapi cerita gak maju maju, apalagi pas ending parah gak jelas kirain bakalan ditutup dengan Festival Sekolah dan happy ending, tapi ujungnya malah nyeritain gak jelas kecewa dah, padahal mau direkomendasi ke yg lain tapi kalo ending kek gitu jadi mikir 2 kali.
May 29, 2021 5:35 PM

Jan 2021
This is a Gainax episode we are watching. The lack of color should not surprise me. And why worry about fitting all the lose plot ends into one animated series, when you can simply read the script and fit 2 episodes worth of stuff? Or did they just stop caring about the animation, who knows. Other than having to read very fast, it did not bother me much.
Both Arima’s and Takefumi’s plot move forward, yet we do not get a full resolution. Regarding Arima, he discovers and worries about the depths of his own possessiveness regarding Yukino. Yukino is still mostly unaware, while Asapin knows what is up. Arima’s inner worry that Yukino changed and does not need him anymore mirrors Yukino’s thoughts two episodes ago, except that he makes the argument one-sided, but two ways.
Takefumi gets most screen time. He notices that his own mental image of Arima is off. That is not surprising, given that Arima dropped his act after getting together with Yukino. More importantly, Takefumi’s revenge plan takes a weird turn when he kisses Sakura. Who is as unimpressed by that as she was by his earlier statement that he hates her. Calling her unmoved by the outside world is an understatement; her character is channeling a veritable rock. The obvious way to bring together his widely conflicting behavior towards Sakura lies in Takefumi changing one train of thought. He is focused on her because he likes her, not because he hates her. Yet, the revenge plot is still on, for some reason.
In the end, the Takefumi-Sakura plot ends only half-resolved. We are crucially missing how Sakura feels about the whole situation, or whether she is simply uninterested in everything.
Arima’s situation might look unresolved as well, but only insofar as it denies us a happy ever afterending. Which would not be all that fitting for a series as dedicated to realistic characterization as Kare Kano. He is together with Yukino and they must find a way to deal with his jealousy. Given the strength of their relationship so far, I would not rate it an insurmountable problem.
Regarding the plot, I would even hesitate to call this a “true” Gainax ending. Just like most real relationships, the series started with a bang, and the highest highs. Over time, it got a bit more mundane, as did the relationship between Arima and Yukino. So a rather open end is fine with me.
CalmTeaTimeJul 9, 2023 8:46 PM
Jun 9, 2021 5:10 AM
Mar 2015
I feel like it ended abruptly, did funding run out? And the production was not fitting for a last episode. I think the play would have been a nice note to end of on.
Jul 24, 2021 12:12 PM
Feb 2021
The first half of this anime was really good! But then, around episode 15 or so, they abruptly seemed to totally lose focus. They randomly did completely needless repetitive recaps over AND OVER again! I've never seen anything so pointless in an anime before. It felt like the animators faced some crisis and were unable to put out a product, so they just stuffed recap filler in, just to meet a deadline. Also, the animation style shifted radically sideways and downwards. It felt like they suddenly lost half their funding and half their staff. The artwork suddenly became more like a newbie artist had drawn it, or like someone was forced to do it in 1/3 to 1/2 the normal time. And the last episode proved that they had plenty of great story to tell, but they spent less than half the time telling it until the last episode, and then it felt like they tried to cram 4-5 episodes of storyline all into the last one. I'd have to give the first part of this anime a 9/10 and the last half a 3/10. the story itself is so well done (when they did it anyway), that I have to assume the manga or light novel is really good and something went terribly wrong halfway through the production of the anime.
Mar 12, 2022 12:55 PM

Jul 2013
you know, I've been told many times before how the ending is awful and how the anime fucked up the story...

I expected: them splitting apart and/or miyazawa cheating on arima and/or one of them dying

I got: none of that. just an incomplete ending. rather, no ending at all lol

personally, I think that's less bad than what I was expecting. I'll just pretend this anime ended at episode 18

Mar 27, 2022 6:04 AM

Feb 2022
Just finished and wow, that was a disappointing ending - infact the last 5-6 were not that good with the animation going downhill, plots and storylines all over the place as well as recaps

Jul 1, 2022 12:43 AM

Feb 2021
I thought this final part was fine. Probably would've given the series like a 9 or 10 if it weren't for the restrained animation that ruined a few of the episodes for me, but that's pretty much it, I really did enjoy it all besides that, probably up near my favorites. Definitely would rewatch
Aug 9, 2022 2:21 AM

Feb 2021
Good job anno, you really had to dip and ruin this adaptation before it was finished, thanks! This had potential to be a romance anime to be remembered for its gripping story, but just as stuff gets interesting in episode 18, anno decided "lol I'm too good for this" and left, giving us 8 episodes of nothing but nonsense, EIGHT! That's 1/3 of the season, ruined, and in turn the adaptation. I have not read the manga yet as I have way too much stuff on my reading list, and I almost don't want to as it would make me even more mad that it didn't get adapted properly
Sep 5, 2022 2:59 PM
May 2018
got pretty abstract. i don't think the manga was completed by that point so they had to just vaguely hint at things to come. cool imagery though
Sep 30, 2022 12:56 PM
Aug 2008
i guess the monologue about the japanese economical crisis in the beginning was sort of a disclaimer about the lack of funding of this project lol. time to read the manga now
Oct 22, 2022 7:05 AM

Dec 2014
this anime planted the seeds of "the end of century" well ahead of its ending.

Jan 10, 2023 2:51 AM
Jan 2015
I loved the direction choice this episode, when the manga portrays tension so well you don't need animation squandering it. I assume they ran out of material to adapt so I much prefer the read the manga ending apart from a sub part original ending.
Feb 1, 2023 8:49 PM
Original Denjin
Nov 2008
I really did not like this ending, as a lot of you have said already. And yeah, it was definitely cliffhanger, and there were plenty of times where instead of doing another needless recap episode or section, they could’ve use that time doing more of the story, so we could’ve actually gotten a better ending! And not the cliffhanger ending like we got. I love the series don’t get me wrong, and I still recommend that for those who haven’t seen it to see it. But I would also tell them to keep in mind for the directional changes that’ll happen, without spoiling the ending, of course.
Feb 4, 2023 3:04 AM
Mar 2019
للاسف كنت متوقع نهاية جميله وجيدة لكن الانمي توجّه توجه سيء من ناحية الاخراج في الحلقات الاخيرة. الانمي ممتع وجميل وصنع لي اجواء جميلة وقصته مب سيئة والاوستات رائعة والرسم جدن مفتون فيه خصوصًا لما يكون فيه لقطات رسم ثابت لكن عيبه هي الحلقات اللي توجهها غريب بالاخراج، وكأن يبون يقللون مصاريف انتاج الحلقات، للاسف كنت متوقع لما اخلص الانمي واتذكره بعدين بيرجع لي الحنين له، لكنه بدء بداية رهيبه وانتهى بنهاية سيئة يستحق ان اعطيه 7/10 علشان بدايته وبعض الشغلات الجميلة اللي بالانمي.
Takumi_A86Oct 25, 2023 7:20 AM
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY…
Mar 17, 2023 10:22 PM
Nov 2019
No way T-T what happened to this episode? 
This series was so freaking good, what did they do to it :/
May 9, 2023 2:43 PM

Jun 2021
Not even Type O Negative songs end this abruptly, and "continues..." seem a pretty petty thing to tell. The cheaper and cheaper animation didn't bother me too much, but starting with the second half of the series i was seriously more interested in how the show could find more and more creative ways to save money rather than in the actual plot, and it's not like the characters were bad to begin with. Even if, aware of the behind the scenes issues and the fact that only 1/3 of the manga was covered at this point, i don't feel the need at all costs to see how everything actually finishes for them.

It's a shame, there was a lot of potential but after a really good start the execution became... clumsy. At least, i'm glad that i watched it in 2023 instead of 2002 from italian MTV, i would have probably dropped it earlier back then and unconsciously missed some pretty funny moments. A generous 7/10, nothing more.
Jun 8, 2023 8:15 AM
Jan 2021
The series was so good at first but later on it changed to paper cut-outs talking to each other and then to straight up slightly animated manga panels. Maybe they ran out of budget?

Either way, the show would have been so much better if they didn’t spend so much time recapping and also gave us a proper ending.

I still loved the series but I’m sad about how this ended :(
Jun 8, 2023 8:16 AM
Jan 2021
_untitled said:
Not even Type O Negative songs end this abruptly, and "continues..." seem a pretty petty thing to tell. The cheaper and cheaper animation didn't bother me too much, but starting with the second half of the series i was seriously more interested in how the show could find more and more creative ways to save money rather than in the actual plot, and it's not like the characters were bad to begin with. Even if, aware of the behind the scenes issues and the fact that only 1/3 of the manga was covered at this point, i don't feel the need at all costs to see how everything actually finishes for them.

It's a shame, there was a lot of potential but after a really good start the execution became... clumsy. At least, i'm glad that i watched it in 2023 instead of 2002 from italian MTV, i would have probably dropped it earlier back then and unconsciously missed some pretty funny moments. A generous 7/10, nothing more.

I agree with this. It definitely got clumsy and I personally feel like it became a little hard to follow as well.
Jun 22, 2023 7:00 PM

Aug 2019
Bruh, Sakura and that guy were the couple I was the least invested in in this series and this episode was basically about them... Why would you not center the last episode on the main couple? And what about the play?

EDIT: Not that I care that much about the play, but if the series is going to spend time on it might as well see the results.
bucciestJun 22, 2023 7:24 PM
Jun 30, 2023 7:16 PM
Feb 2021
It's a goddamn crime that this was never completed. Pretty sad that Anno left the show apparently too.

This really felt like Kaguya-sama if the dramatic parts were more thought out, which is really impressive.

The characters are so fucking good too, like goddamn it's crazy just how much foreshadowing there was for Arima's true nature, and how that point more or less completely came to fruition in the show.

Hella sad that this got Gainaxed so damn hard.
Oct 24, 2023 5:50 PM
Oct 2017
Well, I had been told by someone else that the show was a trouble production due to creative differences and schedule problems, I was also told that the anime just ends and to continue you have to go on with the manga, so I am not disappointed considering I already had very low expectations.

To be honest with y'all, I thought it was a bit weird how I felt the protagonists resolved their main conflicts about their relationship in the first episodes, I thought you could finish the episode 7th and have some closure, but then it went on and introduced other character I also liked, I think you could also finish it after episode 17th when they "cross the line" and have some closure as well with the other characters introduced.

After this there was a whole new arc with a new character, that new transfer guy, and expanding the character of one of the protagonist friends, this arc was also a lot slower so you could say it as an additional arc to the main anime, the first 17 episodes before the 14 days arc, and you can always continue with the manga, or at least that's how I saw it since I was told the anime is cut short due to schedule and licensing reasons.

For those who didn't, well, I understand being upset, it is something that does not happen in anime because even if they are incomplete adaptations of manga, they always try to give you a sense of closure, but I guess that's Gainax for you after all.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.