Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 8, 2016 5:34 AM

Oct 2012
Itsa mastapiece. Another recap after the 30 minute recap 3 episodes ago is just the cherry on top.

I know the story behind this episode, and while it was still quite fun and certainly creative, I just hope that the rest of the series isn't this thrown together as it has been 10/10 up until now.
Aug 22, 2016 1:32 AM

Oct 2012
RIP Budget
The author and director left from Gainax I think?

I think this is where the original story died
Also, I know where Gintama pull the idea for some of their episodes xD
"Signature removed"
Jan 29, 2017 5:09 AM

Aug 2013
Guess who ran out of budget lol
May 6, 2017 6:26 PM

Nov 2012
Skipped the recap,animation and budget constraints this episode slightly bugged me but it's not that bad.

Wouldn't care too much if the plot atleast stayed consistent but it seems this school festival stuff is going to be uninteresting and a waste of episodes.
VanishingKiraMay 6, 2017 6:31 PM
Jun 20, 2017 4:55 PM

Apr 2017
The romance in this episode hardly progresses, but moving on to other things isn't so bad either. And I really don't get the hate on the animation. I will always prefer expressive animation over standardised and polished, but stiff animation. The facial expressions were also some of the best drawn so far, and the fight with that kouhei guy with a real face was hilarious, but also well done. Seeing paper cutouts interact with the real world like that was amazing.

Also rika has the cutest face and voice
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Aug 9, 2017 5:52 PM
Jul 2015
This was a great episode
Aug 14, 2017 3:33 AM

Jun 2016
I fucking loved the animation, y'all are plebs
THE SMITHS ARE THE BEST BAND
Sep 7, 2017 11:13 AM
Nov 2015
KYAAAAAAAAAA I guess I'm just the right audience intended for thissss!!!!!! YASSSSSSSS haven't laughed this much since the Mahou-Tsubasa episodes.

Heard enough bad things about the 2nd cour to stay away from it. For 2 years. BUT MAN THIS ROCKS!!!!!

I never been that focused on the animation side of Kare Kano, I mean, the way they draw, the way they make them move. The direction is everything. How it can change from bright and loud and noisy to suddenly quiet, introspective, silent... and effortlessly.

And the music!!! The voice-acting. I actually like this much much more than the manga (cuz the Tonami's chapters are a bore)

And the sceneries. So damn much steel, metal structures, objects... ( want to draw them all) that are cool in themselves but also create so much atmosphere and mood (living in a city, or transitioning btw the noisy sequence and the quiet sequence)

And the way they just are completely free and good-humored. This is nothing like a badly directed episode where due to lack of money, the director would draw badly and make even staler, more cliche, normal stories. Although the staff couldn't get enough money, they did try to make every moment count, every one funny.

Love the recap sequence with the serious (sarcastic) male voice and Tsubasa's seiyuu voice, and how she pronounced the end of each sentence!!!

Love how they change Miyazawa n Arima into paper board and carry them out to roads, and Miyazawa's burned when she thought about having sex.

Love how in a real life photo, there's a badly scribbled school standing right at the middle.

Love how Miyazawa and Class F's president, and appropriately, because they're paper boards, burst forth and smashed the school building, and changed into giant tokusatsu monsters fighting. Haven't laughed this much about a school being destroyed since Urusei Yatsura. Just completely random.

Ohhhh there're so many more I forgot but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE animate till the end of the 14 days Arc, animate the play, please please don't fuk this up, just keep on doing like this!!!!!!!!!

LOVE YEEEEE GAINAX BOYS!!!
Jan 24, 2018 11:30 PM

Apr 2016
visioncreation said:
I fucking loved the animation, y'all are plebs
This tbh

Also I'm assuming the last episode was the last episode Anno directed? I've been hearing the show falls apart in the last 8 episodes because Anno left
Mar 8, 2018 4:49 PM

Apr 2015
Did the budget get reduced to 500 yen or does Gainax just really like playing with Crayola markers?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 30, 2018 3:31 PM
Mar 2017
I think the animation was a nice change of pace. they really knew how to use the technique, particularly in the window-breaking and in the so-shy-i'm-literally-burning scenes.
I don't know to what point this has to do with budget or other production
related management issues, but I think it fit the show.
think about it, kare kano's animation has never been constant or fluid. actually, most of it are still cells. there isn't even an "official" art style either, characters are always switching between chibi, regular colored anime look, sketchy b&w look...
May 23, 2019 7:11 PM

Aug 2016
Bullsh*t! This is why Gainax is so overrated. They do cool and unique stuff but manage to f*ck it up somehow.

What a way to ruin a good anime. Not only the animation but everything else. Hope it doesnt get worse.
MichaelJacksonMay 23, 2019 7:40 PM
:v
Jun 27, 2019 7:45 AM

Jul 2016
Did Gainax run out of money again? Ugh..... This was horrendous to watch.
Nov 5, 2019 3:19 PM

Aug 2017
Sean_Nessman said:
KYAAAAAAAAAA I guess I'm just the right audience intended for thissss!!!!!! YASSSSSSSS haven't laughed this much since the Mahou-Tsubasa episodes.

Heard enough bad things about the 2nd cour to stay away from it. For 2 years. BUT MAN THIS ROCKS!!!!!

I never been that focused on the animation side of Kare Kano, I mean, the way they draw, the way they make them move. The direction is everything. How it can change from bright and loud and noisy to suddenly quiet, introspective, silent... and effortlessly.

And the music!!! The voice-acting. I actually like this much much more than the manga (cuz the Tonami's chapters are a bore)

And the sceneries. So damn much steel, metal structures, objects... ( want to draw them all) that are cool in themselves but also create so much atmosphere and mood (living in a city, or transitioning btw the noisy sequence and the quiet sequence)

And the way they just are completely free and good-humored. This is nothing like a badly directed episode where due to lack of money, the director would draw badly and make even staler, more cliche, normal stories. Although the staff couldn't get enough money, they did try to make every moment count, every one funny.

Love the recap sequence with the serious (sarcastic) male voice and Tsubasa's seiyuu voice, and how she pronounced the end of each sentence!!!

Love how they change Miyazawa n Arima into paper board and carry them out to roads, and Miyazawa's burned when she thought about having sex.

Love how in a real life photo, there's a badly scribbled school standing right at the middle.

Love how Miyazawa and Class F's president, and appropriately, because they're paper boards, burst forth and smashed the school building, and changed into giant tokusatsu monsters fighting. Haven't laughed this much about a school being destroyed since Urusei Yatsura. Just completely random.

Ohhhh there're so many more I forgot but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE animate till the end of the 14 days Arc, animate the play, please please don't fuk this up, just keep on doing like this!!!!!!!!!

I second this. Most people seem to hate Gainax for stuff like this, but I absolutely adore it. I love how creative these guys can get even with no resources whatsoever. I'm not surprised that this episode turned out great given that it was storyboarded, scripted and so on by Hiroyuki Imaishi.
The recap part was not long and normal, I liked how the images actually symbolically suited the narrative, like Tsubasa talking about Yukino and Arima vowing to live for their own true happiness with a tunnel in the background, etc. The short recap that was just a camrip was also funny (and short!), and I agree with everything you said about other details.
What I want to know though is whose face was used for the Class F president :D Looked really familiar. That tokusatsu reference was HILARIOUS. According to the Kare Kano page on animenewsnetwork, Hideaki Anno even did some work on this episode. It's interesting because he supposedly left the entire production...
May 4, 2020 9:22 AM
Jul 2019
I honestly was expecting a lot worse, after hearing that Anno left the production team for the last eight episodes. Definitely has a different feel, but still charming and creative. I'm interested to see what the next seven episodes look like. The first 18 were an easy 10/10.

Criticism is cheap. There are flaws in everything. No work of art will be loved by everyone. Now can everyone just chill?
Jun 1, 2020 11:24 AM

Dec 2012
im....shocked..is this episode even anime anymore lol,,or are they accidentally mixing the real world video and animation folder hha
Oct 18, 2020 2:26 PM
Jul 2013
St0rmblade said:
Sean_Nessman said:

I second this. Most people seem to hate Gainax for stuff like this, but I absolutely adore it. I love how creative these guys can get even with no resources whatsoever. I'm not surprised that this episode turned out great given that it was storyboarded, scripted and so on by Hiroyuki Imaishi.
The recap part was not long and normal, I liked how the images actually symbolically suited the narrative, like Tsubasa talking about Yukino and Arima vowing to live for their own true happiness with a tunnel in the background, etc. The short recap that was just a camrip was also funny (and short!), and I agree with everything you said about other details.
What I want to know though is whose face was used for the Class F president :D Looked really familiar. That tokusatsu reference was HILARIOUS. According to the Kare Kano page on animenewsnetwork, Hideaki Anno even did some work on this episode. It's interesting because he supposedly left the entire production...

+1
Everything worked nicely together.
Absolute comedy gold this episode, yet they managed to fit in a moment of Arima's darkness. I feel it still brewing inside of him.
Jan 24, 2021 2:20 AM
Apr 2019
The infamous Kare Kano ending. Today one animator talked about it and said he was be like "what are you showing me?!"
Imaishi said "The moment I was burning it was a blissful time" Lmao
May 29, 2021 10:59 AM

Jan 2021
OMG. Five minutes in, most of it a recap, followed by more recap, in 320p.
GAINAX. Freaking GAINAX.
It's easy to shit on this episode. Paper cutouts? Really? But GAINAX is GAINAX. They have a reputation. Gainax Bounce. Gainax Ending. Time and Money mismanagement. And experimentation. See: FLCL. And you do see a lot of FLCL in KKNJ. I don't like FLCL.
Who is the evil producer from Class F? It looks like I could be a pre-beard 80s Anno, and has Imaishi's hair style, but it's key animator Kazuhiro Takamura (also appears in FLCL). (also, he may have guest directed this episode).
The dead Class F producer sure looks like a Dead Eva, huh?
ED video (DVD): new footage of climbing up to the roof (of Gainax?)
ED video (original): BURN IT! BURN IT ALL!
CalmTeaTimeJul 9, 2023 8:35 PM
Aug 9, 2021 10:13 AM

Jul 2019
what a boring episode
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Dec 29, 2021 7:04 PM

Mar 2016
I don't know what the heck are you complaining about guys, I think the power point slide-show was on point. So... Are we getting another Tsubasa arc?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jun 29, 2022 9:31 PM

Feb 2021
What tf was that? The signs of a low budget were noticeable before, but now this show is really becoming another victim of Gainax's development hell, and there's still 7 left
Feb 1, 2023 2:45 PM
Original Denjin
Nov 2008
bystrouska said:
Just watched this episode today... I was really shocked with the sudden change and found the paper cutout/drawing on sticks stuff really irritating! I almost decided against watching the rest of the series... it was a relief to see ep.20 was back on the normal side.
But in general I must say I'm a bit thrown off by the way the animation style changes and stuff are handled. Experimenting with the medium is fine, but there are times when Kare Kano looks way cheap... and it's a pity, as it kinds of disturbs the attention from what is otherwise a touching, finely written story.
Ah, it's frustrating. I feel like I could love these series so much more, were the production different! Still, I'm going to finish it. :)

Yeah, you got that right! I mean, considering that the preview for episode 20 things go back to normal, why they even bother with all of this stupid bullshit in the first place? in terms of experimenting, they could just do like a focus group, or some thing with a little bit of that animation, so that way they wouldn’t produce a whole episode like this! or even just amongst themselves. Because yeah, trying out new things is good and all, but you have to reign it in, especially with how great the series has been so far!

But as you said, at least, things will go back to normal next episode, thank God for that!
Apr 16, 2023 9:49 AM
May 2015
An infamous episode. They definitely could have done more with actual frame animation in this one, because what's in here is great. I think what's a bit more annoying is the stuff with Yukino getting all angry cuz she spent the whole series cultivating an aloof persona. Are we meant to take the confrontation with the Class F rep as literal? Was this whole thing just a proto Kill la Kill?

If you're interested as to why Imaishi went for the pencil style, this interview talks about it. Basically Nobutaka Ito challenged him to do an episode in the style of the manga "Cat Eyed Boy", a horror manga from the 1970s. He decided to take the spirit of that, doing something off-model and unusual, to go the pencil style of this episode. I think this shows, more than anything, that Imaishi is never one to turn down a challenge. He seems like Anno to be a very creatively-receptive guy.
May 4, 2023 6:42 AM

Jun 2021
 at this point the real interest of mine isn't even the plot (even if i expected this episode to be worse honestly, the cultural festival can bring some more interesting twists) is about how far they'll go to shrink the animation budget into oblivion, and once again, i wasn't disappointed. Paper cutout / drawing on sticks pasted on a live action screenshot... so funny.
Jun 27, 2023 9:44 PM
Feb 2021
I guess they ran out of animation cels.

Other than that, the episode was a banger, but like wtf.
Oct 12, 2023 6:05 PM
Oct 2017
Aside from the colors and in between frames, this is fine, it still has the energy and humor of the anime, you can feel the characters and motion of the anime and I appreciate they continued it pushing as hard as they could even without the full means, there are some interesting parts like using a real photo for a student's head and some interesting bits, with enough effort you can think its an episode directed by Shaft.

I think I am comfy so far, and I will keep watching the rest.
PhixiatelyOct 12, 2023 6:12 PM
Oct 14, 2023 10:41 PM
May 2020
FailureDude said:
you guys are morons. the animation in this episode is awesome and original.

^^this mf spittin. this episode was so fun and I really enjoyed the different style.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.