Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2012 2:38 PM

Jun 2009
Whew, talk about heavy. Anyway, this series has been really well directed so far and how that rape scene was handled was probably some of the "best" stuff so far. It's amazing how disturbing that was without even showing anything.

But, you know what really bothered me? How Nabuca and Boo just tossed Sara in the room without any hesitation at all, which makes me wonder "how many times have they done something of this nature for them to show no remorse at all?"
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 19, 2013 4:48 AM

May 2012
Dat ending! Poor Sara... great episode and what power but really fuck that king...
Mar 31, 2013 7:09 PM

Apr 2010
Kayro said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was good!
The part where that guy grabs Sara and brings her into that room, sure creeped me out.

Hell yea. That was a little much for me too.

May 20, 2013 11:45 AM
Aug 2011
That old creepy fuck just raped Sara. RAGEEEEEEEEEE.

TuzoAnime said:
When sara enters that creepy dude's room a flower comes off representing her innocence taken away, very well directed.

I caught that too and despite what was happening that scene was done well.
May 26, 2013 3:01 PM

Mar 2012
Even more disturbing is the title of this episode: "A Feast in the Dark".
Jun 8, 2013 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
that was dark i loved it
Jun 21, 2013 12:15 AM

Jul 2011
Nabuca and seemingly innocent Boo... they... didn't even hesitate... Now it will be hard to see them as good guys, ever...

Sara...I'm so sad... yet at the same time I'M SO MAD. BLOODY HELL I WANT TO KILL ALL THESE CHARACTERS.

I hate this anime. It shows the sickness in humanity. Makes me disgusted.

5/5
Jun 22, 2013 10:17 PM

Nov 2012
Disgusting.
I can't say it was badly handled because it was actually handled quite well.
Grrr I'm so conflicted.....I hate it yet it's so good.
Jun 25, 2013 12:11 PM

Dec 2008
King Hamdo...Jeez! Every face he makes is a rape face.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 7, 2013 6:04 AM

Dec 2012
Torture, rape, and the horrors of war. As gruesome as it is, anime like this needs to exist precisely because of how awful those things are. It's definitely becoming more interesting and drawing me in.
Jul 12, 2013 2:53 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Brutal, cruel yet brilliant. I cannot believe how good this series is.

The way they handled what happened to Sara was a masterstroke of writing/direction. We didn't see anything except her being locked in the cell with that brute and the broken buttons/tears afterwards, but it hits you like a sledgehammer in the gut anyway. And after Shu had said to her "everything is going to be allright, everythins is going to be..." OMG. This is is some hard stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 20, 2013 2:05 PM

Jan 2011
disturbing stuff
Aug 22, 2013 10:11 PM

Jun 2013
Wow! This was a great episode! I wonder what happened to Sara. It creeped me out when she was thrown into that room.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Nov 24, 2013 10:11 PM

Nov 2009
MudRune said:
Kipcha said:
TuzoAnime said:
When sara enters that creepy dude's room a flower comes off representing her innocence taken away, very well directed.

Same thing I thought. I thought that was quite a well thought touch, since it all tied in together.

That scene where he pulled her into the room... Talk about creepy as Hell...

I missed it the first time around but going back it is very well done, the rape is a little much though :

Not one for symbolism . . . Or rather interpreting it, though I thought the flower represented hope. Because not only did Sarah's position get infantly worse, but so did Shu's.

Though, either way, that sucks! And feel bad for Sarah, I can totally see her committing suicide in the next episode.
Feb 4, 2014 9:08 PM

Jan 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
MudRune said:
Kipcha said:
TuzoAnime said:

Same thing I thought. I thought that was quite a well thought touch, since it all tied in together.

That scene where he pulled her into the room... Talk about creepy as Hell...

I missed it the first time around but going back it is very well done, the rape is a little much though :

Not one for symbolism . . . Or rather interpreting it, though I thought the flower represented hope. Because not only did Sarah's position get infantly worse, but so did Shu's.

Though, either way, that sucks! And feel bad for Sarah, I can totally see her committing suicide in the next episode.

Yeah it could probably be interpreted a couple of different ways, but I interpreted it as Sara being "deflowered." The flower was white to show what was once her purity.

Anyways good episode; on to the next!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2014 6:04 PM

Jan 2013
This was a very difficult episode to watch, it was well directed but a gut wrenching experience. Watching the pain Sara and Shu were going threw and the lack of empathy from Nabuca and Boo. I just had no idea the series would be this heavy, I suppose I should brace myself for worse to come.
Mar 20, 2014 6:25 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Well.. dat episode made me really depressed.. I guess Sara got violated.. from the look of her eyes, flowers and tears.. T________T .
Mar 24, 2014 2:56 PM

Jan 2014
sad... but nice series
Nov 14, 2014 1:13 PM
Mar 2009
I'm with you all on the 'poor Sara' front, but it does explain some things about Hellywood - how the fuck (aside from Abelia being very competent and personally loyal to him) Hamdo has not been assassinated yet, for one. If he is *that* willing to pander to his subjects' worst instincts, and combines it with excellent (and historically probable) rhetoric and brainwashing from a very young age... Yup. This series is so very, very good.

Brilliantly done interrogation scenes, and I think that the way Shu was hung would mean he would not have died too soon of respiratory failure? You just have to worry about serious heatstroke. And blood loss. It's the little details.

The main issue in this episode was not the rape (although it was brilliantly directed), it was the MASSIVE BLOODY AMOUNTS OF FRIENDLY FIRE to which Hamdo subjected his soldiers. A decision Abelia disagreed with, clearly, but carried out anyway.

And the pendant being lost might be for the best, huh? Well, yes, make the population desperate enough and Hamdo's plans of conquest start looking not only feasible, but *necessary*...
Jun 7, 2015 11:06 PM

Aug 2012
I wonder what episode they will break the MC's soul. I think it's only a matter of time.
Oct 3, 2015 11:43 PM

May 2012
wait... did sara get raped?...
Dec 6, 2015 10:26 AM

Mar 2010
Damn poor sara..
Dec 2, 2016 12:24 PM

Nov 2009
Rage inducing episode. If those adults don't all die in a fire by the end of this anime.....
Aug 6, 2017 1:11 AM
Jul 2015
This episode was quite disturbing. I need answers - who was that random guy Sara was taken to? Seriously, who was he? He didn't look like an officer or anyone important. Is he just some hobo they keep around to rape the prisoners?

Lack of clarity aside, the scene was one of the best executed so far. It was really chilling.
Oct 20, 2017 12:31 PM
Nov 2015
Oh how I will relish the moment when that damn king is killed and lacerated.
Dec 2, 2017 7:41 PM

Dec 2016
Man I really hoped those invaders somehow saved Shu, but they got one-shoted so I don't know if anything like that is going to happen anytime soon. Also, what's super fucked up, is I think that Sara was raped by that old weird that pulled her into that room. This show is definitely darker than I think I expected
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 4, 2018 1:13 AM

Aug 2015
damn, i wish shu, and abelia, could go for five minutes without being a moron
lala ru has blue hair, sara has blonde, how can anyone make this kind of a mistake? blue hair is not that common...

well, when you've been watching anime and reading manga for a long time, you know rape is not a matter of if, but when. At least this was pretty tastefully done. So we've already got hanging by the ribs and rape for the protagonists in episode 3... hoo boy
Jan 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Oct 2013
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the tone/atmosphere along with mad king Hamdo's demeanor builds into something reminiscent of Final Fantasy VI for me... along with faint touches of 1984's.

This series is getting progressively darker at insane rates. The rape, the interrogation, the post-apocalyptic, war-torn landscape. Rough shit.

TravSavage said:

Good catch... that hurts.
ZadionJan 17, 2019 5:40 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 27, 2019 12:27 AM

Jan 2015
Ah my heart, poor sara

Oct 17, 2019 3:13 AM

Dec 2013
@LlamaLopez Not to mention the hundreds of child soldiers who presumedly died to friendly fire.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 6, 2019 7:49 PM

Jun 2019
Holy shit... this only gets more twisted with each episode.

That king really is a creep, and a paedo because why not. I really hope he gets what's coming to him.

Shuu gets tortured some more... fun. And as soon as they threw Sara to that ugly bastard my jaw dropped. I didn't think they'd actually go there.

On the bright side, that mushroom cloud was a nice touch. Really adds to the post-apocalyptic theme.
Wicker_Senpai93Nov 7, 2019 8:30 AM
Jan 6, 2020 5:02 PM

Oct 2012
Kind of wish this show was pacing itself a bit better? We just went from pg gritty isekai to full of horrific in a matter of minutes. These characters still feel pretty one dimensional so I don't really think this episode achieved the level of impact it was trying to. I'll keep watching though.
Mar 17, 2020 8:20 AM
Jan 2017
I dont know if I wanna continue w/ this show, its not just because its dark but this was a bit too dark fro what I thought I as getting into. and I really dont see much progession per episode This moves at a pretty slow snail-like pace w/ the story showing only characters who are pretty bland and half of which dont even say or do anything
Mar 31, 2020 8:18 PM

Dec 2013
Not gonna lie, it was hard to watch.
Jun 24, 2020 4:36 PM
Nov 2019
I really like this episode, just 1 question. How the hell can Sara speak perfect Japanese with Shu, as an American I don't know 1 person who can speak even passable Japanese including myself, I found that super unrealistic but also understand why they had to do that.
Aug 14, 2020 1:05 PM

Aug 2017
Was Lala Ru's vision "blurred" during the interrogation?

That offscreen rape...why? What did they want from Sara? Poor girl. Who was that dude who raped her anyway? And poor Shu, he got to experience torture twice already. Though I wonder what has Sara experienced before, and how many times...

The battle at night really showed how scary it is for the people involved. The most cocky one actually panicked. I wonder why they didn't use the big cannon from the start. Maybe it was too resourseful, or untested. And probably many people got killed during the shot from both sides.

Also Hamdo is quickly becoming the most interesting character in the show. His seiyuu is doing an excellent job.

Why is shot composition so good in this show? I can't get enough of it.

P.S. I just realized that the shot after Sara being taken inside that room showed a flower flying away...Talk about symbolism. So it was the first time she experienced this stuff? Chilling. But it says that she hasn't spent that much time in prison yet (because she'd have gone through many more instances of this over a longer period of time).
St0rmbladeAug 16, 2020 11:29 AM
Jun 11, 2021 6:09 AM

Jun 2015
As subtle as the villain being a one-note psychopathic bastard that wants world domination.
Oct 16, 2021 3:25 PM
Aug 2020
that was so messed up..... ;__;
Mar 6, 2022 6:39 PM

Mar 2020
the show just took the wildest left turn ever lmao we went from 90s isekai to child rape in like 2 episodes the fuck is going on

TravSavage said:

jesus
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jan 9, 2023 3:51 AM

Jul 2017
This anime is so good, i wonder why nobody talks about it
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Jan 25, 2023 5:01 AM

May 2018
Now this is a real dark episode, didn't expect what they did to Sara and hanging Shu at the top.

Mar 30, 2023 6:43 PM

Dec 2022
Did that ugly ogre scumbag do to Sara what I think he did? Are Nabuca and Boo going to be played off as "innocent, but in a bad situation" after throwing her in with him?

Why would anyone serve Hamdo anyway? You'd think an insurrection would've had him killed long ago, with the way he treats everyone.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 20, 2023 8:00 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Me last episode: Violence was kind of tame.
Me this episode: OKAY DAMN.

This series just keeps getting better with the visuals. I felt real disgust and vile during Hamado scene with Lala-Ru and the entirety of the torture is so well executed to show the weight of the actions. Also I hadn't spoken about it but the music, its so so good. The industrial and melodic mixing during long scenes with little dialogue. I'll need to see if the OST is out there afterwards.

I wasn't sure on Sara at first but then when they shoved her in that cell, I gasped and my stomach drop. That along with the nuclear laser which wiped out those troops and that speech Hamado delivers, felt sickening, the dictatorship keeps ramping up and I'm actually scared for these kids.

Also just realized that Shuu voice actor is Bakura in English and Dan Green be in here too but he's really good as Nabuca. No wonder I was getting nostalgia hits.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.