Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2008 1:13 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Poor kitty T_T
Man, that Hamdo guy sure is lunatic. I wonder why nobody thought about just killing him (I doubt anyone actually likes the guy).
Jul 28, 2008 9:56 PM

Dec 2007
The kids fighting each other reminded me of Lord of the Flys and yes Hamdo is freaking crazy and whoever is playing him is great.

#NBHNC
Jul 30, 2008 7:40 PM

Apr 2008
All I gotta say is,

WHY THE CAT, MAN!!?! WHAT DID IT EVER DO TO YOU!?!?
(animal abuse ranting over)

So far it's an ok anime. Not totally crazy over it but it's ok.

Feb 1, 2009 10:39 AM

Jan 2008
She said, "I'll never betray you.", and I thought, "Yea.. The cat said that too. and look where it got him."
Feb 5, 2010 9:11 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, poor kitty. That guy is one of the most mentally unstable character I've seen.
Dec 7, 2010 3:30 AM

Apr 2010
Hamdo certainly has some issues going on and i believe we have seen just a scratch of his madness. But that figures, because we're just at ep nro. 2. Poor kitty from me too, he seems like a person that would get another one just to kick the guts of it again, when he loses his nerve. Animation style reminds me of Fantastic Children a bit.
Dec 22, 2010 9:11 PM

Feb 2009
Poor little kitty T.T

Man, that guy is an absoloute nutcase. I'm watching the dub and he's doing a pretty good job so far. I really hope this dude dies... Soon. How does this guy even get followers?
Feb 27, 2011 10:25 PM

Jul 2007
Hamdo is a ruthless man, making all these kids slave laborers.

Aug 30, 2011 12:57 AM

Aug 2010
Another sadistic villain giving speeches. Sigh...

I'm sure Abelia will share the fate of that cat. 4/5.
Dec 15, 2011 4:44 AM

Oct 2009
The fuck man? He wants water ... he can access different worlds (or time) and get water from elsewhere? Idiot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2012 1:52 PM

Jun 2009
Yanoflies said:
The fuck man? He wants water ... he can access different worlds (or time) and get water from elsewhere? Idiot.

It's only logical to assume it isn't quite that easy. My guess is that it requires quite few important resources or something.

Anyway, a pretty interesting episode. The cutting to the dead cat throughout the scene between Abelia and Hamdo makes me think either she'll suffer the same fate or, and this is what I think will happen, she'll end up betraying him.

That older kid with Nabuca is trouble, I just get a bad feeling about him.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 28, 2012 4:32 AM

Apr 2010
datsunvic said:
She said, "I'll never betray you.", and I thought, "Yea.. The cat said that too. and look where it got him."

Jan 19, 2013 4:26 AM

May 2012
Great episode, the pace is amazing and the story is compact and great with developing, lets see what's next!
May 20, 2013 11:28 AM
Aug 2011
That bastard made me sick.
Doing that to a cat like that and then he treats kids like shit.

I hope that crazy mofo dies an agonizing death.
Jul 11, 2013 2:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This series is really well directed. The scenes are well put together, the dialogue is tight (well Hamdo is insane so he can ramble all he wants) and the background sound and effects compensate for the funny character designs.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 22, 2013 9:28 PM

Jun 2013
Hamdo sure is one unstable and depressed guy.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Sep 8, 2013 9:13 PM

Sep 2012
>Guy kills a cat
>Kid gets mercilessly tortured for information he doesn't have

"OMG, that poooor catt!"

Fuck all y'all.

This show is kind of weird. I hope it's as good as everybody says it is.
Nov 24, 2013 9:48 PM

Nov 2009
0_0 . . . How can you sleep with all that screaming going on . . . Honestly, inconsistent loud noises makes falling asleep pretty difficult.
Dec 19, 2013 12:45 PM

Feb 2012
I can't help but wonder why Abelia is even serving that lunatic.

And Red_Keys has a point. Why has nobody mentioned the kid getting tortured?
Mar 24, 2014 1:31 PM

Jan 2014
It's OK. Hamdo's insane and
even his name is kinda funny.
Sep 3, 2017 8:54 PM

Apr 2016
Hamdo reminds me Nobuyuki Sugou from SAO.
Both are totalitarian and overly insane.

He killed a kitten! What a jerk!
Oct 20, 2017 4:56 AM
Apr 2014
The fact that those ragged screams of utter mindless agony came from the mouth of a little kid will forever haunt my nightmares.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Dec 2, 2017 2:56 AM

Dec 2016
King Hamdo is one crazy, creepy, fucked up individual! His character design and personality remind me a lot of Betelgeuse from Re:Zero and I wonder if the creator of Re:Zero based Betelgeuse off of Hamdo!?
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 4, 2018 1:06 AM

Aug 2015
Abelia: I'll never betray you
now i definitely expect her to betray him

gonna need an explanation why they don't use their magic teleporter to plunder water from somewhere else, they obviously don't care about damaging the places they go
Oct 19, 2018 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
This really is fucked up and weird so far and I really like the tone overall and where the story is leading.

But so far, Shu made it hard for me to believe him to be this good / righteous. You would a tortured kid expect to give in and letting go of a knife in a self defense-situation etc. is kinda unbelievable, even for the kindest of human beings. xD

Tho, I think, this going to be great.
And wtf, what a psychopath, this guy. Kitty. :(
Jan 17, 2019 4:27 PM

Oct 2013
What the fuck, man. This episode was three varieties of yikes. Fuck you, sci-fi Hitler.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 24, 2019 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
This anime is really a piece art so far for the first two episodes.. What they call it when a movies can hypnotize and bring you to their world with scenes and atmosphere alone ? Hypnotizing ? This anime is like that, and the plot is quite interesting too ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 6, 2019 7:10 PM

Jun 2019
Poor kitty... that reminded me of the puppy scene in Elfen Lied. Hard to watch.

Well this episode took a dark turn. The contrast between the fun and colorful Japan and the brutal desert planet is quite striking. And that mad king... damn. He really put Shuu through the ringer, luckily that kid must be made out of titanium or something.
Aug 13, 2020 12:22 PM

Aug 2017
That interrogation scene...wow. Incredible shot composition. The main antagonist is some psychopath.
Another notable detail: Nobuca had a gun all along, but did not shoot...probably wanted to capture Shu alive. Or maybe he's actually not psychologically mature enough to fire a gun.

Anyway, very good episode on every level. Especially the shot composition. And the dark atmosphere. And that offscreen cat murder. And that offscreen torture. Wow.

P.S. I just noticed that the ED song has only 2 spoken lines...

Rei_III said:
5/5
Have a good watch, even though I'm not sure I want to see your final opinion on this series. XD Also, don't expect a "masterpiece".
I would have love to send you all my material, sadly it's only french written on JPG captures from my DVDs "bonuses" (texts from interviews, etc)
PS: all my excuses in advance if I left some stupid excuses I wrote to the series in episodic threads. (It's not my fault, the others made me do it by being so mean with the series.)

Yeah I don't know French so that's a shame. Though maybe some OCR translation could work.
I actually got interested because of your comments on this show in Gundam threads, so I expect something good :D Also was expecting to see your comments here and got surprised when there were none xD

I know you watched the announcements in Gundam shows, but here's a reminder to do it as well with Ima soku ^^ (also, there are no spoiler delivered in them)

I watch them everywhere, actually...I never skip things in anime (including OPs and EDs and post-credit stuff).

Rei_III said:
(not saying my comments are must-read of course XD)

They are, actually.

By the way, I hope the announcements are fine without subtitles (they seem to be untranslated).
St0rmbladeAug 13, 2020 5:20 PM
Aug 13, 2020 3:33 PM

Dec 2015
5/5

@St0rmblade I know you watched the announcements in Gundam shows, but here's a reminder to do it as well with Ima soku ^^ (also, there are no spoiler delivered in them)

Have a good watch, even though I'm not sure I want to see your final opinion on this series. XD Also, don't expect a "masterpiece".
I would have love to send you all my material, sadly it's only french written on JPG captures from my DVDs "bonuses" (texts from interviews, etc)

PS: all my excuses in advance if I left some stupid excuses I wrote to the series in episodic threads. (It's not my fault, the others made me do it by being so mean with the series.)

St0rmblade said:
I was expecting to see your comments here and got surprised when there were none xD

The early 2000s VHS were expensive but as soon as it was rereleased as a plain DVD boxset right after we got a DVD player at home, I bought them : https://www.manga-news.com/index.php/volume_dvd/Lautre-Monde-Now-and-Then-Here-and-There-lIntegrale-VOSTFR/ So, I watched them (and rewatched, rerewatched and it goes on...) probably way before this site was born. ^^" When this is the case for a series I particularly like to read reactions about, I put the last episode on watch and write to people there. ;) (not saying my comments are must-read of course XD)

(zut, I made someone else watch this series ! Oh wait, it's great !)
Rei_IIIAug 13, 2020 4:35 PM
Dec 5, 2022 7:25 PM

Nov 2021
The king is beyond fucked up. So far, based off the clues given to us, it's easy to tell this is a time travel "Isekai". Awesome stuff thus far... Who says thus? : /
Dec 7, 2022 1:03 AM
Oct 2022
it was pretty cool
Mar 30, 2023 1:36 AM

Dec 2022
Ah, so Hamdo is the crazy manchild type of villain, a classic. Seeing that cat's corpse just get beaten up is some of the rawest brutality I've seen. Follow it up with some torture for good measure, and the contrast from the first episode is readily apparent.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 20, 2023 7:26 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Damn the second episode zipped right through. It felt full from scene to scene but not too bloated. I'm starting to get this series as more of a cautionary tale of following some random girl to another world mentality. Shuu scene with Nabuca was impressive. The green tones from the vats below and the glorious save. It felt crisp.

Hamdo is absolutely insane. I kind of expected more violence, between him and the torture off screen. Maybe it's just a taste for later.

Also the reveal of the girl in the cell was really smooth. Actually there was a lot of slow moments that I caught. It was very subtle, almost felt like it hung on some frames for so long but at the same time it really resonated with the mentality of the three characters it's done with. I don't catch many series using still frames in such unique manner, most the time it feels unintentional for cost and clumsy with how it works with the scenes around it.

I'm hooked so far though. I'll probably get through this before bed hehe.

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.