Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 30, 2008 1:30 AM

Feb 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sayonara, Watanuki, for now. Well, only for a few days. xD

Even though this was a backstory episode, I still liked it a lot. Yuuko's sudden appearance afterwards surprised me. Same old situation, different day I suppose.

Overall; xxxHOLIC was amazing. It didn't get REALLY good until Episode 8 (with 14, 15 and 18 the other standout episodes), but I still enjoyed every episode and they were fun to watch. The characters were all quite likable, plus the OP and ED's were quite awesome. This anime gets my 5th "10" score.
Mar 30, 2008 1:50 AM

Nov 2007
Good timing to wrap it up before Kei ends. ^^ Also good to see more fans. Holic is probably my #1 favourite series (both anime and manga.)

Have you watched the movie yet, though? It doesn't really need to be seen after 24, but it's best to watch later on in the series due to chars and all.
Mar 30, 2008 5:18 AM

Feb 2007
Asako said:
Good timing to wrap it up before Kei ends. ^^ Also good to see more fans. Holic is probably my #1 favourite series (both anime and manga.)

Have you watched the movie yet, though? It doesn't really need to be seen after 24, but it's best to watch later on in the series due to chars and all.

I've got a torrent for the movie, but I probably won't watch the movie until the end of April.
May 3, 2008 7:12 PM

Feb 2008
Pretty good backstory. But the way the other boy was looking at Watanuki it looked like he wanted to slip him an entirely different kind of bone. Pretty good series overall.
May 28, 2008 9:29 AM

Mar 2008
Trojun said:
Pretty good backstory.

i knew it would be sad, but ahh *sigh* still cried. brilliant backstory. it had a bittersweet taste. and i love the music at the end XD. LOVED THIS ANIME!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2008 1:06 PM

Apr 2008
a really touching episode....almost made me cry...haha!(a sucker for touching stories>.<)
really loved it...

now on to watching the movie and the second season

^^
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter!
Jun 16, 2008 1:29 PM

May 2008
I loved the series, and the end was proper too!!!
It is simply amazing the references to japanese mitology and some superstitions!

Now, time for xxxHolic Kei!
Jun 29, 2008 9:26 PM

Feb 2008
AWESOME, I CAN'T WAIT TIL SEASON 2

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Aug 9, 2008 6:12 PM

Jun 2008
Awwwww how sweet!!!! BBQ... *sniff* o_o.... I want soome T_T.... this show always makes me hungry >.<

*claps some more* Well... that's the end... of the first season at least..... I nida wish they told us what Himawari was.... maybe they do that in Kei >.>

I want moooar T~T

Sig WILL change soon~
Oct 11, 2008 11:24 AM

May 2008
xxxHolic rocks,I'm definitely watching the second season as well. And the movie that some people above me mentioned. I wish more anime series had side stories like this one in the end ^^
PS: Having a hand follow you around is uber-creepy,that's,like,my worst nightmare! ><
Oct 23, 2008 3:10 PM
Sep 2008
it had a great ending!that follow threw from start to finish! the bonus esp. was done well to!
Oct 27, 2008 10:45 PM

Jun 2008
DarkShines said:

PS: Having a hand follow you around is uber-creepy,that's,like,my worst nightmare! ><

I know! This episode actually scared me
Oct 30, 2008 6:24 AM

Jan 2008
I found the wondering ghost to be more scary...
A very nice episode, too bad Watanuki doesn't have the boy's bone any more.

Overall, I loved this series. Loved everything about it, well maybe apart from the noodle figure the characters had which is CLAMP's style. But I don't mind it too much, as everything else eclipses that minor niggle. 10/10.
Nov 2, 2008 1:29 AM
Sep 2008
Overall, I liked that series very much. Some of the stories were altered not to their best, but Production IG did a good job on this anime. The animation was not that great with these gray figures (but I must admit that it is an interesting approach to set apart the main characters), but I liked the music, expecially the OP. 8/10.
Nov 8, 2008 11:37 AM

Feb 2008
I liked xxxHolic a lot and am looking forward to watching season 2.

Also the stalking hand was incredibly creepy.
Forum signatures are annoying.
Nov 9, 2008 6:37 PM

Aug 2007
And its over. T_T

Oh well, on to season 2 now. :D

As a whole, I really liked this series.

Gets a 9/10 from me.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Dec 19, 2008 6:30 PM

Aug 2008
Incredible! Wonderful! To finish in the anniversary of Watanuki was perfect and still it had a lunch with the friends! Simply wonderful! Anime excellent!!!! :)
Dec 26, 2008 10:04 PM

May 2007
I think I am going to give the series a 9, I really enjoyed it and it had some great moments, no real flaw, just not a 10 series for me.

This episode is nice, we got to see Watanuki before he was bitter and he seemed nice, and the bit at the end with Yuuko, Himawari, Mokana, and Domeki was good and just calm.
My anime list
Apr 22, 2009 8:11 AM

Mar 2009
Great anime! I'm still debating whether its a 9/10 or a 10/10 for me.
I really want to know what Himawari's "role" is. I hope Kei brings back the vestal sprite, too.
All in all, I'm really glad I picked this up!
May 19, 2009 4:41 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
Is it me? or is the characters from xxxHolic in Tsubasa Chronicles?
- Justin T. Poindexter
Sep 29, 2009 11:35 PM
May 2008
That ending seemed to come from no where? it was odd. i enjoyed the series as a whole though.
May 18, 2010 6:48 PM

Feb 2010
I'm giving it a 9 our of 10. It was a great story, the art was different but intrigueing, and it was really psychological, which I loved. The only annoyance was Watanuki constantly yelling at Doumeki (granted, Doumeki was kinda a D-Bag sometimes). I'm sooo looking forward to the second season and Tsubasa.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

May 28, 2010 9:38 PM

Nov 2008
Good show, good show.

I wasn't crazy about the Watanuki-Doumeki-Himawari comedy scenes, which were often and not that great to me. Just happy spazzing when Himawari showed up to then angry spazzing to every little thing Doumeki did. Got pretty old for me.

To me the selling point was the thoughtfulness of the show. The episodes make you think about the different feelings and motivations of ordinary people. But it gives that stylish magical flair to zazz it up anyway.

The magical things in the show aren't flashy though, and I like that. It's always smoke or a moving picture or a vase filled with water that becomes wondrous and yet tangible, something you could imagine reaching out and touching.

I'll give it a solid 8. Even without being sold on the comedy, the rest of the show I think did its purpose very well. Good stuff.
May 29, 2010 8:28 AM

Apr 2010
I might have wanted to see some more episodes from when Watanuki was a child, but still if i have to settle to this i'm happy to even see this much. Those hands appearing like that were pretty creepy, sure am glad that i don't see spirits like that hehe. The ending in this episode was nice too, even though Yuko keeps Watanuki as a slave in her shop she still cares about Watanuki deep down. Nice that they putted the 1st ending song to the end.
Jun 9, 2010 5:36 AM

Feb 2010
aw this was good episode.... episode 23 reminded me of titanic lol... this was a sweet episdoe.

9/10 Overall <3
Jun 27, 2010 3:34 PM

May 2010
Awesome finale! 10/10
Jun 28, 2010 11:05 AM

Oct 2008
This is easily one of the best anime shows ever .
Jul 28, 2010 2:18 AM

Sep 2009
Really enjoyed this series and because of my much i've enjoyed it it'll get a 10 for me :)
this last episode was really good i liked at how The kid who was taken saved Watanuki in the last moment :3

Aug 4, 2010 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
'M gettin hooked to this thing . I guess its my next "To be hooked to" anime :)
Aug 19, 2010 4:44 PM

Mar 2010
Great anime overall.

The weird animation set me off a bit, and postponed watching it, but I'm glad I've watched this through. Will definitely look for the other xxxholic eps/series.
Aug 23, 2010 9:34 PM

May 2008
This series took a while to grab me, but slowly I felt attached to the main character. I'm definitely downloading the next season.
7/10 Not the best episodic series I've seen, but It's wasn't mediocre. By the way, both ending songs were fantastic.
ClosedCXAug 23, 2010 9:38 PM
Sep 12, 2010 11:51 AM
Sep 2009
Goodbye Watanuki, thank you for making my life more joyful. Sometimes you made me laugh, sometimes — cry, you scared and taught. The best series, ever. I wonder, whether ther is something alike among all other anime. Thank you. So sorry to say "goodbye".
Oct 13, 2010 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
Not bad ^^
real facts and stories woven with great scripts and more imagination.
ezakariaJun 18, 2013 2:47 PM
Jan 1, 2011 10:00 AM

May 2009
Just one of the best series ever 10/10
The episode was good i guess, just as all the other episodes
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jan 24, 2011 7:55 AM

Dec 2008
I flew through this series in like, 24 hours. Or maybe 26 hours. Finishing a series at that speed is an extreme rarity for me, but I was sincerely hooked and loved every moment of it.

I had also seen some episodes before on the FUNimation channel, so it was nice to rewatch them, and heck, I even rewatched a couple of the episodes *while* I was in the midst of watching this series from start to finish. And I loved the dub and the sub, but mainly watched the dub this time around. It was very nice.

I, for one, loved the comedy between Domeki and Watanuki. Classic, awesome CLAMP. I was a bit disappointed that a certain scene I wanted to see animated wasn't in this but I realized it shows up for the first few episodes in Kei, so I'm giving it a break. I loved how each episode made you think about the karma and creepiness that goes around in all people. I liked that it was one of those series that had a person-of-the-day thing be introduced to our little group, but it wasn't typically boring and it's not like the people were easily forgettable, either. They each had a quirk and problem they needed resolved, and several were left ambiguous to leave you thinking. Loved it. Loved the art, despite how many people found it distracting - it was *different* and nice to see.

I like how it ended with the characters coming together with their latest problem, namely Watanuki's. And this side story episode with Watanuki was so sweet and sad. I teared up a little.

I'm sad that it's over but I have more to see with Kei and the OVAs. Solid 9/10, hard to give it anything lower. I could see myself bumping it up on a random rewatch since I find this series instantly rewatchable since I liked it so much.
Jan 26, 2011 7:38 PM

Jan 2010
Started off not really liking the show and at first i thought the animation was kinda weird. But the show really grew on me kept me interested throughout the series Watanuki worked my never a little but Domeki was the prefect match to balance the series out 8/10.
Mar 22, 2011 4:32 AM

Sep 2008
Yeah... I figured that kid would turn out to be a spirit. What was his name, too? Did Watanuki only give his? I don't recall hearing the other kid's name, hm...

Anyway, nice episode. The ending was nice too. :) (I would say "Poor Watanuki!" for being made to do everything on his birthday... but hey, he did say he likes cooking, which is exactly what he got to do! So hopefully he was actually enjoying it, aside from everyone keeping him company?)
May 26, 2011 2:28 AM

Oct 2008
For this I gave an 8/10.
I really like Yuuko's character design and Watanuki's personality. He's a nutcase and I love that xD
I liked all the mini-arcs but the story that interested me the most if the one from episode 20 and the photograph.
This anime has some great visuals. I really like the excellent combination of comedy and mystery.
I also love the opening "19sai" which is the reason I started this show and the second ending "Kagerou". The background music gave the mystery feel.
Jul 3, 2011 12:11 PM

Jun 2011
Very nice ending. It was a good thing to learn more about Watanuki's past.

Time to watch the second season and the movies.
Aug 26, 2011 1:28 AM

Sep 2010
It was good to know a little bit more about Watanuki's past. Time to watch the next season.
Aug 27, 2011 4:25 PM
Oct 2010
After 3 years, I finally managed to complete the series. = w =
Dec 23, 2011 3:51 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
unclesnapple said:
I wasn't crazy about the Watanuki-Doumeki-Himawari comedy scenes, which were often and not that great to me. Just happy spazzing when Himawari showed up to then angry spazzing to every little thing Doumeki did. Got pretty old for me.

I found it so difficult to tolerate this part of the show that I couldn't finish the series for nearly a year. Had that part been toned down just a little I would have loved this show. Absent that aspect and I would have given this show a solid 9 - otherwise, I'm struggling to give it more than a 7.

unclesnapple said:
To me the selling point was the thoughtfulness of the show. The episodes make you think about the different feelings and motivations of ordinary people. But it gives that stylish magical flair to zazz it up anyway.

Agreed. In the end, that's why I decided to come back and finish it. That, and I really like Yuuko's character.
Sep 2, 2012 6:29 AM
Aug 2012
Awesome!
Lemons are citrus fruits.
Oct 23, 2012 7:28 AM

May 2012
Well this was a side story and it ended more or less in the previous episode still it wasn't an all to bad Anime, it had an original character design and the story wasn't all to bad in general though sometimes wasn't really all to good and couldn't keep my attention span for to long!

Well wasn't a bad first season I do wonder what the second season will give us! 7/10
Nov 16, 2012 10:26 AM

May 2009
YukuZetsuji said:
After 3 years, I finally managed to complete the series. = w =

it took me two years :>

i enjoyed it a lot i'll give it a 9 (10 is only for the best of the best flawless stuff tbh)
Nov 16, 2012 11:07 AM

Sep 2011
Why did it take some of you so long to finish the series?

I would watch about 4 episodes of this series a day. It was a fun watch. Great to see the character's relationships develop. I'm considering even rewatching it soon. :O
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Jan 27, 2013 10:15 AM
Nov 2010
so what is the lady really?
Hi
Aug 18, 2013 11:20 PM
Jul 2013
I really enjoyed this show. Even though it dealt with spirits and the good and bad sides of them it wasn't overpowerful on one another. And overall the main character learned life lessons and the value of friendships.

I really enjoy a anime where the main character learns and lives on. it's amazing the relationship between him and his boss.

Can't wait to check out the 2nd Season Kei i believe it's called.
Dec 9, 2013 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
* sniff *
My note is to xxxHolic 10.
Simply fantastic anime.
Mar 16, 2014 4:56 AM

Feb 2013
Really great. Gave it an 8.

hehe...that rhymed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 1 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 9, 2008

46 by jessica_eumsm »»
Apr 8, 9:02 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 5 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 14, 2008

40 by Dywei »»
Jan 31, 7:54 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 20 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Mar 28, 2008

32 by StateofOhayo »»
Jan 28, 4:12 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 19 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Mar 12, 2008

37 by StateofOhayo »»
Jan 28, 3:49 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 18 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Mar 11, 2008

34 by StateofOhayo »»
Jan 28, 2:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.