Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 6, 2019 2:40 PM

Feb 2017
GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT, AMURO!
eski514Mar 6, 2019 2:43 PM
Aug 23, 2020 2:29 PM
Sep 7, 2020 4:31 PM

Aug 2017
Very good development of Amuro as character. I really enjoyed how realistic he is. On the other hand, Garma almost died and since I already watch The Origin I know why Char is doing that lol.
NurguburuSep 7, 2020 4:39 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 3, 2020 7:38 AM

Jun 2016
This episode really leaned into the burden of being a child soldier, or more generally being a soldier. Amuro has been exhausted, scared for his life, unable to sleep because all he sees is combat. And when he returns from combat, what does he see? The refugees he's trying to protect are demanding for more, or stealing food from the children. In other words, ungratefulness for all of his struggle. Last but not least, he views himself as nothing more than a decoy for the greater Federation.

That is how you push a character into the corner. Feeling underappreciated, exhausted, and used. Therefore, it's a great time to zone in on the motivation for fighting. Two lines that stuck out to me were specifically one where Amuro stated, "What about me? I'm tired of being scared!", and the explicit, "What are you fighting for, Mr. Bright?!".

Bright's answer was very hands on, and along with Fraw Bow, it was one of shame. Literally beating the boy and calling him a disappointment that will put everyone else in danger. Shame can be a strong motivator but it felt very harsh and I wasn't sure if it would work. Following shame however, a personal vendetta was brought up, Char the Red Comet. It was Char's name which struck Amuro especially hard and I think it reminded him of a personal reason to fight. Combining the two, Amuro wants to best his rival, and he probably wants to help his peers, but only one of those motivations may not be enough. It ended up being a good combo to get him moving, in my opinion.

Last but not least in this train of thought, Amuro was thanked by a Federation representative, as if to say, no, you are not just a tool to be used and discarded by us. It helps that it was the first time Amuro felt womanly charms, hahahahahahahaha.

I liked the episode for Amuro focus, but also for the Zeon focus. I've gotten more and more interested in Garma and Char. When the two were first introduced, I had questions about the foundation of their relationship. If it was a friendly rivalry, or if there was true animosity under the seems. As we have continued to proceed, it appears that Garma is a superior to Char which adds to the competitiveness or envy. A feeling that the captain should be superior to his subordinate, and from Char, a feeling that he should be where Garma is. To continue to fuel the sense of unfairness or animosity, there is the constant reference of the elder sister and Garma's spoiled upbringing. As if to say, Char worked to get here and Garma was handed his superior position. Perhaps the two were friends in their youth but they have grown apart and now, in my eyes, I am certain to view their niceties as nothing more than niceties, a mask to greet an old friend, even if they aren't a friend anymore.

I don't know if this reading is correct, but Char willingly allowing Garma to go into danger is very fascinating and it has me curious to see his reaction if Garma is to die. If there is any form of fondness underneath, that is the moment we will see it away from niceties for appearances sake.
Feb 12, 2021 11:49 AM
Sep 2016
I sympathise with Amuro a lot here; someone who's never experienced "the scent of a woman" shouldn't be in the front lines. But I don't think that was the intent of the creators. I think that intent is a lot closer to the hate that Shinji of Neon Genesis Evangelion infamy gets in some quarters of the internet. We're supposed to agree with Bright. That's...interesting.
Jul 26, 2021 7:54 PM

Oct 2012
Some really strong Shinji-vibes from Amuro in this episode... And I mean that in a very positive way. It's probably way more realistic for a child to not just act like a badass and constantly fight without complaining or getting exhausted mentally.

The jumping action from the Gundam was pretty cool too. Amuro really landed every shot in this episode, he seems to get better and better.

Matilda also seemed interesting. And Char is pretty obviously trying to get rid of Garma. Pretty low of him tbh, but that makes a good villain, I suppose.

And damn, the preview for the next episode seemed spoilerific af.
Jan 24, 2022 10:54 AM

Aug 2008
You're 15, your home city is attacked, your parents are MIA, you've been in a continuous state of combat readiness and in and out of combat without any proper military training, you're the only pilot of the Earth Federation's greatest weapon and showing potential signs of PTSD. But we'll just smack you around and tell you to man up and get out there. Ridiculous.
Jun 13, 2022 3:45 AM

Nov 2018
Ikari Shinji moment
I hate everyone equally
Oct 28, 2022 12:38 AM

May 2019
Amuro really feeling the pressure is so sad. Char sure has something sneaky up his sleeve for Garma.
Mar 26, 2023 9:03 PM
Feb 2021
Amuro's a pretty goated protag, even if he doesnt want to get in the robot.
May 2, 2023 10:53 AM

Sep 2017
damn char is fucking playing garma very well.

and we get the amuro slap

hate to admit but amuro has got a point

even tho he is sexist, he has some valid points

lol the woman seducing amuro from frau bow

halo needs more love.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 2, 2023 11:07 AM

Sep 2017
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
This episode really leaned into the burden of being a child soldier, or more generally being a soldier. Amuro has been exhausted, scared for his life, unable to sleep because all he sees is combat. And when he returns from combat, what does he see? The refugees he's trying to protect are demanding for more, or stealing food from the children. In other words, ungratefulness for all of his struggle. Last but not least, he views himself as nothing more than a decoy for the greater Federation.

That is how you push a character into the corner. Feeling underappreciated, exhausted, and used. Therefore, it's a great time to zone in on the motivation for fighting. Two lines that stuck out to me were specifically one where Amuro stated, "What about me? I'm tired of being scared!", and the explicit, "What are you fighting for, Mr. Bright?!".

Bright's answer was very hands on, and along with Fraw Bow, it was one of shame. Literally beating the boy and calling him a disappointment that will put everyone else in danger. Shame can be a strong motivator but it felt very harsh and I wasn't sure if it would work. Following shame however, a personal vendetta was brought up, Char the Red Comet. It was Char's name which struck Amuro especially hard and I think it reminded him of a personal reason to fight. Combining the two, Amuro wants to best his rival, and he probably wants to help his peers, but only one of those motivations may not be enough. It ended up being a good combo to get him moving, in my opinion.

Last but not least in this train of thought, Amuro was thanked by a Federation representative, as if to say, no, you are not just a tool to be used and discarded by us. It helps that it was the first time Amuro felt womanly charms, hahahahahahahaha.

I liked the episode for Amuro focus, but also for the Zeon focus. I've gotten more and more interested in Garma and Char. When the two were first introduced, I had questions about the foundation of their relationship. If it was a friendly rivalry, or if there was true animosity under the seems. As we have continued to proceed, it appears that Garma is a superior to Char which adds to the competitiveness or envy. A feeling that the captain should be superior to his subordinate, and from Char, a feeling that he should be where Garma is. To continue to fuel the sense of unfairness or animosity, there is the constant reference of the elder sister and Garma's spoiled upbringing. As if to say, Char worked to get here and Garma was handed his superior position. Perhaps the two were friends in their youth but they have grown apart and now, in my eyes, I am certain to view their niceties as nothing more than niceties, a mask to greet an old friend, even if they aren't a friend anymore.

I don't know if this reading is correct, but Char willingly allowing Garma to go into danger is very fascinating and it has me curious to see his reaction if Garma is to die. If there is any form of fondness underneath, that is the moment we will see it away from niceties for appearances sake.

very excellent post. couldnt have said it better.

It is sad that Amuro's father who created the gundam to stop child soldiers ends up being the instrument that forces amuro in same gundam as a child soldier.

Even for me, seeing the refugees steal from their own was too shitty tbh.

had it not been for bright saying char's name, it is pretty doubtful amuro would have blinked an eye at seeing frau bow pilot his gundam and risk her life.

and i dont blame amuro. even tho he is sexist, he is still a teen who doesnt know much better and only entered the gundam to save his friends. but now, seeing how the military constantly exploits him for each and every fight, the ptsd of which is too much even for amuro, i highly sympathise with him. And even though Sayla is a medical officer who can function as a counselor of sorts to make him feel better, i doubt any guy in his situation will be willing to admit they want to talk the problem through. Amuro had been focusing his hate outside towards the same military and it is doubtful Sayla as a fellow military personel could make things better,

about bright's slap, though it may have worked in this situation, it is not proper way to do so especially in a dire situation. rather than be authoritative, bright could have been more friendly and understood what amuro was going through rather than go always harsh.

shouting and mistreating your soldiers when they make mistakes like a sargeant is not constructive. Especially as a teen who is addled with emotions, it can backfire really badly. (Like in fullmetaljacket)

I am more interested in seeing how matilda will help amuro from here on out or whether her words ring hollow. too soon to tell.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jul 17, 2023 9:38 PM

Jan 2011
so Gundam was doing the Evangelion thing decades before Evangelion was even a thing, NGL Amuro was spitting some truths 
as for the sexism, Amuro is just a kid an as far we know he doesnt even know his own mother, he deserves some breathing room here
Jul 27, 2023 6:26 AM

Jul 2017
this episode made me like amuro very much, he showed his human side, he is only a 15 years old boy
i see a lot of amuro inside of the character of Shinji ikari
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Oct 20, 2023 11:57 AM
Oct 2023
Oooh, support from General Revil. Very interested to see how he factors into this. Char's more ruthless side finally on display here. Dude is playing the long game.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Today, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Yesterday, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Apr 6, 2008

59 by KitsuFrost »»
Feb 22, 11:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.