Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2008 5:57 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
OH COME ON. Damn you Asano you useless bastard! His character is getting even more worthless, and it's not because of his wreckless acts but because I just dont like how his character arc is both lacking in depth and also a bit of a rehash of Sugimoto.

Poor girl who's name I cant pronounce. Hopefully you have spured Youko to wreck vengeance.

I do like how the two other girls (ex spoilt princess and ex slave servent) paths have interwined, its been done very well. I would love to see this adapted to live action one day, though I only trust myself to adapt it properly...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 27, 2008 6:11 PM

Nov 2007
Go for it Director Cihan. :D

Asano is anime-only, so...maybe that's why he's not so interesting.
Mar 27, 2008 6:14 PM

Jan 2008
kasumisama said:

Oh man, I'm so glad to learn this. Not only does it validate my critiquing skills but it means the source material remains awesome. :D
BeatnikMar 28, 2008 12:34 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 29, 2008 8:25 AM

Sep 2007
Really. I just want Asano to find out who Youko really is and thus stop playing the paranoia card.
Mar 29, 2008 8:37 AM

Jun 2007
I really hated how Asano's story turned out.
But yay for the live-action 12K idea.
Jul 11, 2009 1:21 AM

Sep 2008
Asano = Ass-sano
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 17, 2009 4:40 PM

Jun 2008
I can't believe that he actually killed that kid!
Oct 8, 2010 10:38 AM

Jun 2009
I think it is perfectly valid for him to go crazy personally, though I can't say he has the depth that Youko and the others have.

kie_ said:

Actually, the kid isn't dead. When Youko is talking to Keiki his eyes are twitching. Plus, Youko says she'll save him.

Also, I find it interesting how Youko will react if she finds out Asano shot the kid. Part of me wants her to just butcher the shit out of them, I'll be honest.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 11, 2011 5:38 PM

May 2010
koreye said:
Asano = Ass-sano

Lol

Asano is a broken man
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 25, 2011 5:09 AM

Aug 2010
If asano is anime-only, is it really necessary to create such a character?

Youko's fight at the beginning of the episode was awesome! and i love how Youko's path have intertwined with the other 2 girls, hope they'll finally meet again and destroy those evil ones
Aug 30, 2011 7:32 PM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
I think it is perfectly valid for him to go crazy personally, though I can't say he has the depth that Youko and the others have.

kie_ said:

Actually, the kid isn't dead. When Youko is talking to Keiki his eyes are twitching. Plus, Youko says she'll save him.

Also, I find it interesting how Youko will react if she finds out Asano shot the kid. Part of me wants her to just butcher the shit out of them, I'll be honest.

I'll agree that it's not surprising or all that unexpected for Asano to go crazy, since he is, after all, stuck in a world that he doesn't understand and that doesn't understand him back. Until he met Suzu, he was probably feeling preeeetty lonely and sorry for himself. In any case, that's no excuse for his [attempt] to kill Keikei.

And speaking of which (and why I quoted insan3soldiern completely), I'm surprised Keikei didn't die. It looked like Asano shot him right where his heart would be (left side of the chest), or close to it. I guess Keikei's rather lucky...
Mar 15, 2014 1:43 AM

Jul 2008
I've been saying this for awhile, Youko will you finally do something instead of wandering?!
Mar 26, 2014 10:33 AM

Aug 2013
Asano wins worst character by a landslide.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 27, 2014 4:41 AM

Nov 2011
kasumisama said:

You fuckin serious mate?

Wtf
Dec 25, 2014 12:45 PM

Nov 2013
The opening fight scene was pretty impressive... I was surprised.

Asano was about to learn that Youko was the queen, but of course he had to be interrupted.
Jan 30, 2015 5:35 AM

Jan 2012
what a beast that guy.killing children's.

May 1, 2015 12:27 PM
Aug 2008
Very nice episode. Hoping for more. I'm keeping watching while writing my post !
Nov 10, 2015 10:06 AM

Dec 2013
blue-y said:
If asano is anime-only, is it really necessary to create such a character?

Youko's fight at the beginning of the episode was awesome! and i love how Youko's path have intertwined with the other 2 girls, hope they'll finally meet again and destroy those evil ones

It wasn't necessary. As you'll see by the end of this arc, his actions don't carry any real weight, or impact the story or characters in any significant way. The animation team seem to have gone to great lengths to try to shoehorn him into the series (especially this arc). but despite that, his character is only glanced over at best. This is also why there never any real effort on Youko's part to find him after sending Sugimoto back to Japan.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Nov 10, 2015 10:17 AM

Aug 2014
Asano was created to juxtapose with Youko. According to the localization team, who I assume relayed the message from the production, Sugimoto (while she isn't original, she's practically non-existent in the novel) and Asano served as foils to externalize Youko's inner struggles. The idea was good, but the execution was pure shit.
QuattroVaginasNov 10, 2015 10:21 AM
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 20, 2015 8:06 PM

Feb 2013
As others have mentioned, Asano has no value. He could be removed completely and the rest of the story remains intact.

Youko's gettin mad. She should just bring her army and be done with it.
Jun 20, 2017 8:34 AM

Oct 2012
*sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Asano please go away
Why did they even kill her? What for? :(

Because Youko.......... you never listened to Keiki, you nagged then tell him to leave

I feel someone is going to die again after Youko said it
Rayl1ghtJun 20, 2017 8:50 AM
"Signature removed"
May 9, 2019 1:17 AM

Jul 2015
A brilliant episode. Sick moves there at the beginning Youko, and it turns out Shoukei is quite a babe as expected. All in all you shouldn't let such certain deplorable characters like Asano sway the opinion of what otherwise is a great episode that effortlessly combines 3 plots at once and takes more pretty ballsy risks
Nov 21, 2019 3:44 AM

May 2015
You mad Youko angry. You shoudn't do that.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 16, 2020 6:22 PM

Mar 2016
I would liked to see Asano dead since he fell off to the river at the beginning of the series.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Mar 16, 2020 6:22 PM

Mar 2016
I would liked to see Asano dead since he fell off to the river at the beginning of the series.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 13, 2020 4:10 PM

Jul 2009
Youko will do something now, I am sure.
Asano shouldn't even be alive...what a dumbass
Aug 27, 2021 2:21 PM

Nov 2016
Asano fucked up big time.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 31, 2022 12:49 PM
Nov 2020
Can't wait to see their reaction when they learn that the empress is on their side the whole time.
Dec 28, 2023 3:14 PM

Apr 2017
For once, I agree with the majority of the comments here. Asano is dragging this arc down. This anime is good, but it's not great. Mostly because the 2nd arc just wasn't good. I didn't give AF about Taiki, and I'm sure most people didn't care about him either. Especially since his only interactions in his world are with Sugimoto, and I don't give AF about her either. The first arc had a very slow start. This arc is very good, but Asano just drags it down. It feels like the good arcs have something dragging it down, like a heavy anchor in water. To find out that he's an anime original, is even worse. Like, they drug this arc down just to bring him up. It would've been better to just say he was dead or something. Or that he settled down in En (if they wanted a happy ending for him).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.