Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Feb 11, 2015 1:17 PM

Aug 2014
Milky_way1886 said:
This series is fucked up

No shit

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 16, 2015 2:17 PM

Nov 2012
Kaji is one cool motherfucker. He's just chilling by his garden and watering his watermelons while everyone panics and scrams for their lives as an Angel comes and wrecks havoc.
Feb 26, 2015 7:40 PM

Oct 2013
Just as I thought last episode was the best of the season we get this amazing episode.

Mar 3, 2015 4:25 PM
Oct 2014
rei ):
Mar 25, 2015 2:56 PM

Feb 2015
It just keeps better and better. The theory about Eva unit 01 is somehow connected to Shinji's mother seems right. In the first episode of the series, unit 01 saved Shinji although its cockpit was empty. Now unit 01 accepts no one except Shinji. She is finally awakened.
Apr 5, 2015 10:30 PM

Apr 2014
my god... watching this episode for the second time really makes me realize how fucking terrifying evas are.
Apr 25, 2015 6:15 AM

Feb 2015
Kaji is coolest gardener i have seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2015 4:00 AM
Nov 2014
Best episode yet, too awesome for me to describe. That EVA just went berserk and eat that angel alive, what will they do now ? Exciting times ahead.
May 24, 2015 4:32 PM

Aug 2014
That was brutal.
May 31, 2015 7:55 AM

Jan 2013
existentialist-j said:
It just keeps better and better. The theory about Eva unit 01 is somehow connected to Shinji's mother seems right. In the first episode of the series, unit 01 saved Shinji although its cockpit was empty. Now unit 01 accepts no one except Shinji. She is finally awakened.

Exactly, same with the thoughts of his mother at the final scene when he was inside the alternate universe of "Seliel" ... the 12th Angel - breaking free after it.
His mother is definitely connected in some way to Unit 01.

Suprised how easily Shinji came back after saying he wouldnt pilot again (for the second time)

I have to say, I really really enjoyed the "beast mode" scene where Unit 01 awakens and just consumes the Angel.
Jun 13, 2015 9:14 AM

Apr 2012
That was a fantastic episode. Best one yet.
Jun 26, 2015 3:11 PM

Sep 2014
Nom Nom Nom. Ep 19. Delicious and funny.

Plot: SHinji is understandably PO'd after what happened with Toji. So he's fired. But then a wild Angel appears (friggin convenient. Like they were watching thinking: the AngelSlayer is gone! Bumrush the humans!) and then it all went crazy!

CHaracter: THis ep was primary a SHinji one but consequences for the other pilots are felt. Many have criticized Shinji's actions and labeled them as whiny" or "Daddy issues" but that is just the outsider looking in perspective and while his anger is understandable, remember that anger makes people do crazy things. Plus if you had to work under the jerk that could hijack your ride and make it kill your friends with no remorse, and you're told to just suck it up...just think about that.

But Shinji does return. It may have taken a talking to but really that's something that's needed for some. Just going back while angry/confused is not possible for some. THey need that extra encouragement.

Asuka suffered the worf effect and after what happened with Toji, this is not good for her psyche. Especially the way Zeruel just walked past her after...disarming her. SNirk.

Rei shows suicidal tendencies with her words of being replaced.

PS: I just had a laugh at some scenes.

Like Shinji being all deadpan and "I'm out, bit$#hes. Peace."

And then the Angel shows up: "Shoo its fine. Asuka's awesome. She'll kick its butt."

Unit 2 disarmed: "Awww, s$%t."

5/5. This was radical and a plot swerve on what goes next. What it means for Shinji and the rest remains to be seen.

PS: the Eva's true enemy: D batteries.

PSS: The Eva's awakening was terrifying. Just look at the way it moved. The way it blinked after eating. That was prime-time animation.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 4, 2015 10:29 PM

Dec 2011
"That's not armor. Those are bindings to restrict the Eva's true power."

Hohohoho. So much awesome. I love how they animated the awakened Eva's movements. It's the little details that really make it hit home that Eva's aren't machines. They're beasts. Living creatures bound and used for human purposes.

And way to go Kaji. Always talking about melons.
Jul 10, 2015 4:02 PM

Dec 2009
Ummmm.... I guess Shinji is somehow still cooperating with Eva?
Such junk...
Jul 12, 2015 8:07 AM

Jan 2014
omg, this was so radically exceptional.
Just WOW. I feel sorry for the Evas now O__O
Aug 3, 2015 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
Omgggggggggg
Sep 11, 2015 10:02 PM
Apr 2015
Why are people talking as if it wasn't already completely obvious that the eva wasn't a machine?
Oct 21, 2015 10:59 PM

May 2014
Holy shit, that sure was something. Shinji has gone through major development, I wonder what his state is now. As I've observed previously, Unit 01 is very animalistic in nature. It's even more apparent now.
Nov 4, 2015 10:20 PM

Apr 2014
Ooh Shinji is so confident and adamant. "Running away again?" "Yes fuck you." He didn't mope and had to think hard. He was set on his decision. It was unfortunate that he still chose to flee from challenges however, but of course fate brought him back.

Rei said "If i die, I can be replaced". Still ever lacking the sense of self :( But, she was willing to sacrifice herself for the sake of everyone else. What is her true role in all of this? Just what is she?

Finally, the show reveals the true nature of the Evas. Not only are they self-aware (as has been hinted since the second episode), but they were actually bound by those suits in order to be utilized by humans. Interesting how it only accepted Shinji and rejected Rei. The vision that Shinji saw of his mother is no coincidence. She is somehow related to his Eva. All of the instances of his Eva going berserk were all instances of the creature temporarily regaining its autonomy, and each time it correlates with Shinji's ultimate desperation for survival. The Evas are the salvation of humanity, but are the pilots in turn the salvation of the Evas since they are the catalyst for unlocking the Evas' abilities (and possibly true power).

The Angel's fights with each pilot were incredibly suspenseful. Desperation, weakness, hopelessness, on the verge of death. The severing of Unit 02's arms and head, Unit 00's suicide attack, Unit 01's near defeat.
Nov 22, 2015 6:23 AM

Feb 2013
Amazing episode, best one of the series so far.

Shinji really manned up this episode, I actually thought he might leave for a second there, glad he didn't. I also found it pretty ironic how is father was scolding him for running away lol..

But now the Eva has turned into some psychotic monster. I knew it was alive, but I wasn't expecting anything like this. I wonder what's gonna happen now? How will they deal with this thing? And what's gonna happen to Shinji? I mean, hes still inside that crazy thing @_@.
Dec 6, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2012
Never going to pilot the Eva again,lol that didn't last long.

Liked that Shinji manned up though.

Unit 01 going berserk again and eating Zeruel's S² Engine and releasing it's bindings.
Dec 31, 2015 6:53 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

AH ha hahahahhahahah ahahah ahahaha and you thought the last episode was intense! This episode is awesome! 10/5 it broke the rating system.

This is THE episode I most look forward to when watching this anime. It brings out what has been hinted at since the beginning... "WTF IS EVA?!", that's no robot... and does it in a way that... just wow. Eva01's arm gets blown off and Gendou is just standing there, calm as always.

Asuka nearly died there, had they not cut the connection... plus both arms cut off Unit02.

I figured I'd see a lot of "WTF"s and "OMG"s in this thread. Can't blame anyone. It's a perfectly reasonable reaction to the episode.
Jan 7, 2016 5:14 PM

Jun 2013
Just rewatched this. That scene of Eva 01 going primal...holy mother. They perfectly captured the mannerisms of a carnivorous predator guarding its prey. I especially love the part where she's chewing and you can see her real eyes.

Meanwhile, Kaji's watering his fucking plants.
Jan 28, 2016 4:23 PM

Jul 2013
Yesssssss, that's more fucking like it. First time since the first 3 episodes that I've been 100% into what's going on.
Such a good episode. How are they going to get Shinji out of the Eva and back in ?
Feb 7, 2016 1:52 PM

Aug 2014
Even though it was predictable that the Eva will awaken , this episode was intense .
Great Episode .
Feb 9, 2016 9:58 AM

Jun 2015
finally it was about time for a full berserker
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 14, 2016 5:19 PM

Jul 2015
I'm in love with this show because of the emotions the protagonist portrays. He has internal conflict and is always thinking, "Am I doing the right thing?" Shinji is basically the polar opposite of Eren (SNK) who jumps into battle without regret and doesn't care who his enemy is.
May 6, 2016 9:50 PM
Apr 2016
okay, by this point, i hate commander ikari with the utmost passion.
Jul 18, 2016 5:33 PM

Feb 2016
One of the most intense episodes I have ever seen so far o_O. Im wondering how they gonna top that in terms of violence and gore lol. I hope that Rei and Asuka are doing well. Brilliant episode.
SilentSword114Jul 18, 2016 5:51 PM
Aug 4, 2016 10:28 PM

Jul 2015
Damn... this episode and episode 18. Evangelion is so intense.
Poor Shinji. He pilots to please everybody else; making others proud of him is his motivation.
He's scared of piloting because he's hurt his friends that way, but he's more frightened of being a disappointment by not using unit 1. I'm ready to delve into the other screwed up backstories.

I'll never forget when Shinji's Eva goes berserk and starts eating the angel. One of the most horrific and shocking things I've seen in an anime.
Aug 15, 2016 9:35 AM

Aug 2016
Woah since the recap episode, every episode was amazing i'm starting to really love this anime.
Nov 1, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2016
"If I die, I can be replaced." Rei, you sure are an interesting
Character.

Wow, what happened to Shinji? :/ I never saw him this assertiveamd sure of his actions.

I wish I hadn't been eating anything while watching this episode, it kinda made me sick watching Eva01 eating the Angel.
Nov 17, 2016 2:18 PM

Aug 2014
The scene with Kaji just was so surreal. Like you're telling he's out chilling, watering some plants while all of this crazy shit is going down? lol

Great episode though.
Jan 3, 2017 11:20 PM

Feb 2013
What a fucking episode.

Touji seems to have lost a arm(?) and a leg. That sucks. Better than being dead I guess. Also we find out all of Shinji's classmates have the potential to pilot an Eva.

Asuka gets fucked. Unit 02 loses both its arms and then it's head! Asuka seems to be fine I think.

Then it's Rei's turn and she tries to sacrifice herself. She tries to blow herself up to no avail.

"Even if I die, there are substitutes."

What? What do you actually mean Rei? Substitutes!?

I kinda knew Evas were of Angel origin but I never made the connection that they would have a core! Also that's not armor! There're binders that suppress the Angel's innate power! That's fucking cool! Really fucking cool. Which makes me wonder how Evas are built.

Unit 01 eating that other angel was scary. The look on everyone's face. Wow.

What's gonna happen to Shinji? I don't know how they're gonna get him out. With the base heavily damaged too and two units out of commission.

Fantastic episode.
Jan 12, 2017 2:42 PM

Sep 2015
Dam looks like a chaotic rampage is gonna happen with Eva Unit 01
Jan 30, 2017 3:05 PM
Mar 2016
This show continues to get better and better. Like, I have school work I need to do but Neon Genesis exists....
Mar 29, 2017 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
Commander Ikari actually showed a little emotion for once when Rei sacrificed herself, I didn't realize that she was some sort of replaceable replica generic pilot, until this thread. Makes sense after all of her weird scenes depicting her thoughts, and at one point showed a whole line of her. I just thought it was trippy art. Interesting.

How did I miss Kaji's sneaking around getting exposed? I loved that he was just chillin, watering his melons. hahaha

Seems like we were all in shock at the eva awakening and acting monkey-like hahaha

I wonder what Commander Ikari has planned and what he has up his sleeve...
Apr 19, 2017 4:25 PM
Sep 2016
Shinji already left the NERV twice and he is still piloting eva xD
Aug 17, 2017 5:36 PM

Jul 2009
I applauded when Shinji said he wasn't gonna pilot again.

and I applauded when he told Misato "What for? get rid of them, i'm not piloting again"

Good. stand your ground kid. These ppl been walking all over you. Pilot cuz you want to! Pilot because you now truly realize you're all they have. They should bow before you!!!
Sep 16, 2017 2:56 PM

Nov 2016
One really good episode after the other^^ well it definitely picked up since the second half has begun.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 19, 2017 7:12 AM

Jan 2016
The Eva in this episode reminded me of the titans in shingeki no kyojin
Oct 7, 2017 12:00 PM

May 2016
I was breathtaking I couldn't even think about it It was like I was in there myself
These episodes deserve more than 10/5
Nov 19, 2017 1:59 PM

Jul 2013
Holy sh** that was insane! O.O
Dec 11, 2017 3:44 PM
Oct 2017
man did my opinion on this show take a total 180 or what.. was bored only a few episodes ago and now i can't stop watching

who would have thought that giant robots could be rather terrifying.. or well, it's not a robot at all im pretty certain
Jan 8, 2018 12:29 PM
Jul 2017
Another intense episode... eva unit 01 goes berserk!

I hope rei is okay :/
Jan 26, 2018 5:38 PM

Apr 2015
Oh shit. Unit 01 is alive! And it's hungry.

Does trapping an Angel inside such tight restraints violate animal cruelty laws? And what is Shinji thinking inside that thing, it suddenly becoming sentient?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 29, 2018 9:11 AM

Dec 2015
@CatSoul Don't you think it was already sentient when it tried to protect Shinji in the very first episode? (and on several later occasions)

May17th, 2019
2ego said:
400% synchronization...hopefully it doesn't go berserk.

Wait, it DID turn berserk this episode. We even get the usual "uterin" bluish light picture.
@2ego I see. (In Evangelion, they call "berserk" any time the "EVA" / its "soul" takes over, like in ep.1 or during the shadow's freeing, etc)

June 4, 2019
tuanguyen said:

Now I want to know why the pilot must be a 14-year-old person.
Now we can finally confirm that the EVA must have a soul or something. Can't wait to see how all of these stuff be explained.

The reason for the pilots choice is the fact the EVA have each a particular soul.

March 31, 2020
@NostalgiaDrive94 Didn't you get the Gehirn/NERV history episode? You can see old EVA failed prototypes in it. Moreover, the actual nature of the EVAs is hinted at since the flashback of the first battle (Unknown Ceilings) and the burned hand of the 2nd fight.
The Unit-01 has awoken, the "fluo plastic looking" parts are not really an protective armor but rather, like Ritsuko said, something made to contain and conceal EVA's body. I'll let you connect the dots (it's part of the fun, isn't it? ;) ), since most needed informations were either given throughpictures, dialogues or action or even direction and you seemed to be receptive enough earlier. ^^

Sorry for the disturbance.
Rei_IIIMar 31, 2020 10:28 AM
Feb 18, 2018 2:09 PM

Mar 2016
HOLY SHIT!!! Let me just say this episode is EPIC!!! Not just because of the Brutal and intense destruction to both the advanced Tokyo 3 city + fortress and to the other EVAs but also the change in Shinji's attitude too! He seems to be more matured.

Asuka and Rei almost died, so did Shinji but he has awakened 'her'... And with a 400% sync ratio, it's no surprise that he's fused with the awakened EVA.

I believe that there will be a plot changing revelation about EVAs and stuff later! Such an amazing change to the plot!
Mar 8, 2018 6:18 AM

Sep 2017
The new angel is actually like Kiriha from Tsugumomo. Good Angel.

Rei proves time and time again that she is best girl. Seriously, I never thought she would be the heroic one. And, I am calling it. Rei is the one true hero of Neon Genesis Evangelion, not Shinji.

I hate Shinji even more. At least he realized now that EVA is not a choice, but a responsibility. At least Rei appeared in his dreams to make him realize that.

And, I am never gonna like Shinji again. This episode made me hate Shinji as much as I hate Asuka.

And I knew that EVA was Shinji's mom. It is no spoiler now. And, the EVA has some abilities now.

Wait. I had a f**king revelation just now.

If Adam was the first angel, doesn't that mean Eva(Unit 01) is the second angel? EVA? EVE "ANGEL" ION?
Get it?

But then again, I may not be the first to get it. I may be dense as Rei after all.
I know Eve comes after Adam, but its name must have been changed so that no one is the wiser.(Naming your mecha after the second angel directly is not a wise idea, so they went for a pun)

Maybe it was foreshadowed in the OP.

And, as usual, my tribute to Rei.
JeremiahOrangeMar 8, 2018 6:47 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 17, 2018 8:45 AM

Feb 2018
Another one in a streak of amazing episodes, it's starting to get real serious.

So Eva has awakened, and we learn that what is surrounding the units is not an armor, but a cage of sorts. Just what are the Evas?

The drama in this show is so intense, hard to stop watching.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
3 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Today, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.