Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2008 4:24 PM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Most people seem to think this episode, with JA, is the weakest and least important of all 26 episodes of the series. I think I disagree; it develops the intrigue with NERV and helps build Misato's character (basically showing how awesome she is!).

What did you all think? :)
Apr 27, 2008 1:50 AM
Oct 2007
I thought it was a good episode
Jun 10, 2008 8:16 PM
Oct 2007
Yeah, agreed..
Jun 10, 2008 8:32 PM

Sep 2007
this episode had me confused. what was the point of gendo setting up that potential disaster with JA?
Aug 5, 2008 1:38 PM

Jun 2007
Kiefferdenn said:
Yeah, agreed..
Oct 8, 2008 4:12 AM

Jan 2008
Good episode, Misato rocks.
Jun 30, 2009 8:14 AM

Mar 2009
Wonder about the next episode preview...
Sorry for my English. ^^
Jul 4, 2009 9:00 PM

Jul 2009
Pretty good, though it dragged quite a bit. Was refreshing to see a different kind of threat for once, and the hints of conspiracy, however.
Aug 22, 2009 2:15 AM

Jun 2009
CitizenGeek said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Most people seem to think this episode, with JA, is the weakest and least important of all 26 episodes of the series. I think I disagree; it develops the intrigue with NERV and helps build Misato's character (basically showing how awesome she is!).

You know, you're right. It's interesting that they didn't let Misato in on the plan. Now, where the hell is Asuka? I've heard so much about and she still hasn't appeared.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 18, 2009 3:24 PM

Jan 2008
Good episode, nice to see Misato as the Hero who (at least seemingly) saves the day :>
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Nov 8, 2009 2:36 PM

Feb 2009
Haha, sure it was a "weaker" episode, but the comic relief this time was great
Nov 28, 2009 10:27 PM

Oct 2009
lolwut, this episodes was excellent. Nerv is sappin' their rivals mecha because they need to convince the UN that they are humanity's only hope for salvation. I'm guessing they have some nefarious agenda of their own (wtf is the Human Complement project?)

Agreed that Misato is a badass as well as a sexy beast, but I also wonder why she's not in on the conspiracy.
Dec 3, 2009 8:45 AM

Apr 2009
This the first episode I actually somewhat enjoyed. It's still a little slow but the character development was great, especially for Shinji. He's becoming less of a little bitch and starting to stand up for himself...maybe.

I also agree with the comic relief in this one. The breakfast with the penguin was hilarious each time it showed.
Dec 21, 2009 1:22 PM
Jun 2008

Quite good episode!
We got to know the heroic side of Misato and more about Nerv and its plans =)
Dec 28, 2009 8:48 PM
May 2008
Kind of slow in certain sections, but overall another good episode. The humor in this episode was great, LMAO at the penguin breakfast scenes.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 28, 2010 4:51 AM

Jan 2010
That JA was sure pathetic...
May 14, 2010 11:38 PM

Aug 2008
That system would be so easy to crack into. "Hope" Yeah...

Mecha looked like a total fruit basket.
Jun 6, 2010 9:47 AM

Feb 2008
What, I loved this episode. More Misato screen time is always a good thing. There was some good character development between her and Shinji in this episode.

Comic relief was awesome too. That penguin is amazing.

Asuke next episode? OH YES.
Jun 16, 2010 7:53 AM

May 2008
Really good episode.
Jul 23, 2010 4:07 PM

May 2008
I loved the breakfast scenes, the second was hilarious~
Misato sure can be kickass sometimes, but that's why we love her~
Jul 29, 2010 2:35 AM

Jan 2010
I'm in awe at how awesome Misato is.
Aug 22, 2010 8:57 PM

Aug 2009
It was a good episode. I loved how they shoved me all these informations all at once. So basically NERV is being funded by the United Nations, the Antartica explosion is caused by the first Angel that appeared, the preparation of the next Evangelion is being processed, some organization was trying to copy NERV but failed to do so, and Misato is a one hot badass woman. Okay I think I'm still following the story.

I basically fell in love with Misato. Those two friends of Shinji were right. Misato is just showing the side she doesn't want others to see/true side to Shinji. I'm glad Misato treats Shinji as a family member.
Aug 31, 2010 9:35 AM
Aug 2010
there was great character development of misato and shinji as well. I thought the whole episode was interesting, and it really ddmonstrated the type of relationship that misato and shinji share.

misato is one brave woman
Sep 11, 2010 1:27 AM

Mar 2010
Misato finally got to some action.
Oct 6, 2010 1:05 PM
Jul 2010
Moonfrost said:
It was a good episode. I loved how they shoved me all these informations all at once. So basically NERV is being funded by the United Nations, the Antartica explosion is caused by the first Angel that appeared, the preparation of the next Evangelion is being processed, some organization was trying to copy NERV but failed to do so, and Misato is a one hot badass woman. Okay I think I'm still following the story.

I basically fell in love with Misato. Those two friends of Shinji were right. Misato is just showing the side she doesn't want others to see/true side to Shinji. I'm glad Misato treats Shinji as a family member.

Yeah, you pretty much summed up the info revealed until now. However, I do have a question after this episode. The designation "Second Impact" implies that there was a first, right? But if the appearance of the first Angel originated the "Second Impact", what was the first one?

And also, I absolutely love the opening. (Why am I only saying this now?)
The ending however, is meh. Not this episode's version nor the other ones. (Are they different? Didn't quite realize that xD)
Nov 11, 2010 6:43 PM

Jul 2010
The plot thickens with a hint of conspiracy, Misato show's she's an awesome badass character, and some great development between her and Shinji. They really are like a family now, huh? So overall, decent episode.
Nov 21, 2010 5:48 PM

Jan 2010
What kills me about this series so far (despite my evident delay into watching it) is the "Oh dear God! We only have a 0.00002%!", "There can be only ONE WAY we can stop this!"

I obviously don't watch enough action.

Otherwise it was enjoyable. Too bad we don't all have Misatos in the morning to have a can of beer with.
Dec 25, 2010 12:27 PM

Jul 2010
Dusk252 said:

Yeah, you pretty much summed up the info revealed until now. However, I do have a question after this episode. The designation "Second Impact" implies that there was a first, right? But if the appearance of the first Angel originated the "Second Impact", what was the first one?

The ending however, is meh. Not this episode's version nor the other ones. (Are they different? Didn't quite realize that xD)

I thought it was only called the Second Impact to cover it up (because the cover up was that it was a meteor strike, which would be the Earth's second).

I agree with you about the opening, it's fantastic.
Jan 25, 2011 4:17 AM
Jan 2011
IMO gives some well-timed relief compared to the drama of the previous episodes, definitely, definitely not the weakest episode.
Feb 9, 2011 5:52 PM

Aug 2010
2Deeh said:
I'm in awe at how awesome Misato is.
Feb 17, 2011 10:01 PM

Sep 2009
Dusk252 said:
Moonfrost said:

First Impact is what killed the dinosaurs and caused the ice age.

blockhead said:
this episode had me confused. what was the point of gendo setting up that potential disaster with JA?

Blow the shit out of the potential competition.
Show the people giving money that the competition is useless.
Thus the money that would go to the competition all goes to NERV.

Probably one of the BEST episodes.
Shinji's growing, we see the human side of the world, second impact is explained.

And that damn Penguin was in it again.
Apr 6, 2011 1:29 AM
Mar 2011
"One of the weaker episodes"?

Pfft!
May 8, 2011 4:18 AM

Oct 2008
Good job Misato. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 1, 2011 10:41 PM

Feb 2010
I want Misato to be my Guardian for life...
She is my favourite character till now,hope Asuka steals that place soon.

Is there any Anime that is as good as EVA with superb character development???
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2011 5:20 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah, this episode was mostly about Misato's character development. Weaker than previous ones, but still watchable.
Nov 21, 2011 6:47 PM

Mar 2010
I think they tried to add interest to something that most people watching aren't really looking at. Which is good in a sense, but it wasn't captivating. Most people (and most likely myself included) will dismiss this episode and forget about it very soon. The next episode has Asuka! Looking forward to the next!
Mar 7, 2012 1:07 PM

Jan 2012
On first watch the episode seems pointless...but when now that I'm rewatching I can see that this episode brings up many things that come to a head later...
May 1, 2012 4:36 PM

Feb 2012
What gets me is that it actually is a good idea to make the Evas nuclear powered. That five minute time limit is deadly and if an Eva is damaged to the point where the nuclear reactor gets hit then that unit is already down.
Jul 9, 2012 10:05 PM

Oct 2011
If this was the weakest episode, then I'm glad to look forward to even better ones in the future. It wasn't that bad in my opinion.
Aug 1, 2012 7:05 AM

Nov 2011
I loved it! 'Cause that big robot just walking stright forward really scared me :D Misaki is so brave.

Dec 9, 2012 10:49 AM

May 2012
Quite nice episode with a good strong story in it, ending was nice also and it was just nice to see an episode concerning Misato!
Jan 6, 2013 8:46 PM

Apr 2012
This just goes to show that if you build a giant nuclear powered robot and then act like a smug bastard, it will (almost) blow up in your face.
Feb 18, 2013 3:44 PM

Feb 2012
Wow we got critical info in this episode :d

Thoughts from episode 07.

So Gendo is still planning his own project this "Human Project" and other half of the NERV seems to be in it too.

Breakfast scenes with Misato drinking bear and changing to her childish form was hilarious It really reminded me of Mouri Kogoro in DC drinking bear they have same emotions when drinking bear haha.

We also get a critical info considering event: "Second Impact" that it happened 15 years ago and meteor wasn't thing that caused it it was actually Angels and when one of them exploded Second Impact was result. And that's why NERV and EVA's were built to protect earth from "Third Impact" Main plot?

New pilot for EVA-Unit 02 is been going on and seems NERV really haven't located it yet. Also when there is New-Tokyo there is too Old Tokyo pretty interesting.

JA wasn't so good test experiment like some bad test results can happen if they cause errors or something like that. I wonder why didn't that password didn't not work until Misato pushed those pipes. But who was behind that miracle when she got it working quickly.

In some points Misato can be really childish and then serious like she was she is also very good leader and has always some kind of backup plan nice character development from her. Misato is also very strong. :d
Feb 24, 2013 10:26 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode
Apr 5, 2013 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
JohnGalt89 said:
This just goes to show that if you build a giant nuclear powered robot and then act like a smug bastard, it will (almost) blow up in your face.

Especially when the competition is Gendo Ikari and Nerv, who obviously have no problem at all with using underhanded tactics.

It really strikes me how different Misato is from everyone else, I love how she says that she would rather try to stop Jet Alone instead of regretting it later. Some words of wisdom Shinji would do well to listen to.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 29, 2013 6:49 AM
Jul 2018

Thumbs up for Captain Misato!
Gendo Ikari being the culprit of everything in this epsisode.
Jun 15, 2013 6:52 PM
Oct 2011
Mixxu said:
Wow we got critical info in this episode :d

Thoughts from episode 07.

So Gendo is still planning his own project this "Human Project" and other half of the NERV seems to be in it too.

Breakfast scenes with Misato drinking bear and changing to her childish form was hilarious It really reminded me of Mouri Kogoro in DC drinking bear they have same emotions when drinking bear haha.

We also get a critical info considering event: "Second Impact" that it happened 15 years ago and meteor wasn't thing that caused it it was actually Angels and when one of them exploded Second Impact was result. And that's why NERV and EVA's were built to protect earth from "Third Impact" Main plot?

New pilot for EVA-Unit 02 is been going on and seems NERV really haven't located it yet. Also when there is New-Tokyo there is too Old Tokyo pretty interesting.

JA wasn't so good test experiment like some bad test results can happen if they cause errors or something like that. I wonder why didn't that password didn't not work until Misato pushed those pipes. But who was behind that miracle when she got it working quickly.

In some points Misato can be really childish and then serious like she was she is also very good leader and has always some kind of backup plan nice character development from her. Misato is also very strong. :d
My guess is that NERV planned a near disaster instead of an actual disaster. An near disaster would still make the JA look bad, but should the conspiracy with it get discovered there would not be an outrage at NERV for causing thousands of civilian deaths just to get rid of the competition.
Jul 21, 2013 3:30 AM
Apr 2011
So if my understanding is correct, the JA actually is functional but the head of NERV messed with it to make it seem extremely unstable and dangerous up to the last second where it miraculously shut off thus ending further development with it (or at least causing a lot of controversy and major budget cuts) even though it is safer and doesn't put strain on children?

I don't know what to think of the NERV head really at this point, he seems to have many flaws but good points too. Hes human I guess but I cant tell if he is supposed to be almost villainous. The fact that Misato wasn't included in the plan is cause to think he is involved in some level of corruption.
Sep 6, 2013 6:18 AM

Sep 2011
Holy shit I thought she was going to die and this was going to be the turning point of awesomeness! Though still a fairly good episode overall, I cant believe this was considered one of the "weakest" and "least important" episodes out of the whole series. The rest must be pretty damn good if that's the case.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

264 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 21, 7:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.