Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 23, 2010 4:14 PM
Sep 2009
Bittersweet. I feel really bad for Misuzu and her aunt. The wheelchair scene really tugged at my heart, it was so powerful.

I loved this series, it was wonderful.
May 23, 2010 10:52 PM

Oct 2008
Misuzu calling out "Mama" on the beach hit me hard. What a powerful scene.. D': I couldn't help but tear up. *sniffles*

Why did Yukito have to go.. D: *sighs* Damn YOU KYOANI!!!

Jun 19, 2010 7:10 AM

Aug 2009
Uh
I don't really think this ep is sad... Is something wrong with me? wtf O.o
Jun 19, 2010 9:10 AM

Dec 2007
Nah, nothing wrong with you. Probably just didn't follow the series all that well.
Jul 12, 2010 5:33 PM

May 2009
Wasn't a bad series, but after watching Kanon and Clannad earlier, I am a bit disappointed. It was still worth the watch, but Kanon and Clannad are far superior imo.

8/10 for the overall series.
Jul 29, 2010 10:27 AM

Apr 2010
tear jerking.... like clannad....
Jul 31, 2010 7:41 PM

Jul 2010
nicoliolipoli said:
I'm confused and I wanted Misuzu and Yukito to live forever together.

That is all.

This.

I knew in the back of my mind Misuzu was going to die because I could remember some stupid spoiler YouTube comment saying so... >_>

Thankfully, after reading some of the posts on here the ending seems a bit more clear, too. I really did miss Yukito in those last episodes, though. I guess I was wanting a classic romance where they lived happily ever after, so I can't fully appreciate the ending for what it was. It was touching, though, and I did like it.
Aug 25, 2010 5:36 PM

Feb 2010
Yes, that was indeed awesome and, as far as I got it, the story is real awesome too.
Aug 31, 2010 5:02 PM

Apr 2010
good series. i think that it would have done better with more episodes and would explain alot of untold parts of the story. overall 10/10 for the series. not going to bother with Air in the Summer.
Sep 2, 2010 4:25 AM
Jul 2010
Meddigo said:
nicoliolipoli said:
I'm confused and I wanted Misuzu and Yukito to live forever together.

That is all.

You're just focused on a single point of time instead of looking at the whole breadth of what happened. Think about it. "1000 summers" have gone by, and the curse has finally been broken. If Misuzu and Yukito were together then Misuzu would have had to die anyway

Thanks a lot for that spoiler, I was just about to watch the Air The Motion Picture after finishing this series. (I edited in the spoiler tags in there myself, so as to not spoil for anyone else, there were none in the original post.)
Sep 2, 2010 8:39 AM

Dec 2007
You're absolutely welcome :)

Thanks a lot for not offering any bit of insight or discussion about this wonderful series. The only reason you could be mad about such "spoiler" is that you didn't even understand the series nor Misuzu's plight.

Also, I find it hilarious that you didn't even spoiler tag the actual spoiler itself. ^^
Sep 4, 2010 2:12 PM
Jul 2010
Meddigo said:
You're absolutely welcome :)

Thanks a lot for not offering any bit of insight or discussion about this wonderful series. The only reason you could be mad about such "spoiler" is that you didn't even understand the series nor Misuzu's plight.

Also, I find it hilarious that you didn't even spoiler tag the actual spoiler itself. ^^
I think you misunderstand.

My post's intention was clearly to encourage proper use of spoiler tags in the future (by you, as well as others), so as to avoid other innocents from suffering the same fate I did (or worse!). Not to discuss this indeed wonderful series. I think chinaboat and Roketsu covered everything pretty much already. Speech is silver, silence is gold.
JvW4Sep 4, 2010 2:26 PM
Sep 11, 2010 3:13 AM

Jun 2010
I think patient_sense made this show a bit more sensible for me.

Hey, come to think of it, wasn't it Yukito who became the crow, not Ryuya? I thought he formed into the crow after he poured his soul into his puppet.

Maybe that's just me. Idk.

This show confused me - I may have to watch it again to try to pick up on what I missed.

On another note, I wish they had done something more with Yukito's telekinetic powers and the magic users. They were just like "oh yeah, he can use telekinesis, a girl has wings, and her mom can use magic to completely obliterate a fleet of soldiers, no biggy, w/e"
That bugged me. Why were the characters so completely un-interested in such things? Ughh. It just got ignored.

p.s. Misuzu ftw!

:eof
TheRetroSpectrumSep 11, 2010 3:19 AM
Sep 13, 2010 8:54 AM

Dec 2007
I don't think anyone was ever shocked over Yukito's ability because the only one who ever really got to see it was Misuzu: when he used magic to oust the vengeful mother that had possessed Kano.

Sure, the little kids saw him move the doll around, but they were completely incredulous the whole time, asking where the string was, etc. I believe he also performed for Haruko who was just as incredulous.

But really, the only time he used magic in some exuberant way in the presence of others was the exorcism of Kano. Every other time was in a tawdry way to entertain others (and who really pays all that much mind to street performers anyway).
Sep 16, 2010 10:25 PM

Jan 2010
I really loved the ending of this series, its so sad :(
Oct 7, 2010 5:14 PM
Aug 2010
I just finished and here is my speculation:

Where to start... Ok, the crow, I didn't get, but a few things I can piece together (yes I know Clannad was after Air, but bear with me), In Clannad, ~After stories~ it turns out Tomoya was the robot, but he couldn't build or do anything but spectate this girl, and Yukito was eventually reincarnated as the crow with a somewhat similar role.

The "looping" as I saw it referred to as, made me pissed to, but it makes sense when at the beginning and end the lady says the story will continue forever without end, until the last child. A.D.D. MOMENT: And how all the winged girls wanted to just do something fun like go to the beach and how all Yukito had to do was make Misuzu smile and stay by her side; anyway, all the memories will be passed down from child to child, to the very last UNTIL THE LAST MEMORY IS FULL OF NOTHING BUT HAPPINESS.. <---- That I believe is THE BIGGEST POINT, especially in other Key films, like Clannad with the Hikari and Angel Beats!

The two children at the end, I had a theory, and it was Yukitos mom, since she promised to return, but thinking about it, I saw another post, and it was Yukito and Misuzu, interesting thought, and may as well be true.

It was sad/funny when Misuzu kept falling over, even more sad so when you figure out why.
Oct 19, 2010 9:46 PM

Nov 2007
meh I didn't like the ending or get most of this. our main character became the crow ? and misuzu just dies from the curse of her ancestor?

I just don't know. It stopped being too interesting when he vanished or turned into a crow. I enjoyed Clannad and Kanon a lot more.... the story was just too out there and the 2 other girls weren't very relevant at all.
Oct 21, 2010 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this series alot, Key's works are just my favorite among all writers.

The ending was very bittersweet, but moreso on the sweet side. Haruko's arc at the end was very well done and emotional. She easily became my favorite character.

9/10 and really wish there were more Key works in anime form.
Oct 25, 2010 6:16 PM
May 2009
The curse isn't broken ..??

"tragic times lay ahead for those two, but for us it's only just begun" as quoted by the boy on the beach

but, atleast Misuzu new what it was to be happy!!
Nov 4, 2010 11:48 AM

Aug 2010
This anime is all over the place. Out of Key's big three, Air is surely to be the weakest.

And if the cycle is broken ( which I honestly think it's not ) then why did Misuzu died anyway?
SkyNov 4, 2010 1:37 PM
Nov 4, 2010 2:04 PM

Dec 2007
Because it was her (and Haruko's) sacrifice that caused the curse to be broken.

By her achieving her goal of being with a friend and seeing the ocean together, she broke the binds on Kanna.

And if you want the proof that it's broken, then you should tell those kids are the next reincarnations of Kanna and Ryuuya respectively, and they're seen holding hands with neither of them being sick or weak.

After 1000 summers, Kanna was freed.
Nov 6, 2010 4:34 PM

Dec 2009
Well, what can I say... this last arc was marvelous. Very touching indeed.
But as for the show itself, it was really lacking. The arcs about the other girls felt really unnecessary. The only reason they were there, was probably because that this show was based on a visual novel. I might be wrong, of course, but that is what I believe.
It was not until this last arc the show actually became very good. The "flashback arc" was so so, but at least it told us what the heck was happening. And thanks to that, this last arc became very good. We all knew what was coming: "Goal". It makes me sad, really sad.

But as a show, Air didn't make it. 6/10, even if it sounds harsh. But even so, the journey was worth it. Without a single doubt.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 30, 2010 12:44 PM

Jun 2010
NOOO Where is the Happy end! Why can't it be like Clannad! Hell but just at the last moment heaven! God dam i cried to much! Can't cry any more!!!!

Jan 23, 2011 2:22 PM

Jul 2010
those 2 big posts at the first page really helped alot. now to watch the recap and the summer episodes, i'll watch the movie later.

Feb 4, 2011 9:21 PM

Apr 2009
Air is the weakest among the Key's anime..But it's my most favorite.

10/10 a masterpiece.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2011 7:48 AM

Apr 2010
i guess it's just a lil confusing but the story is really brilliant..

the only factors I dont like about the series is how it was presented and the way MOST of the voice actresses act.

Though it is convincing, I havent really cried at all. Really. Though I am a crybaby..though at some point at ep. 11 I almost cried, I guess the emotions put by the seiyuus are not enough unlike CLANNAD which even you like it or not you will cry..

in the presentation, I didnt like that the arcs of the 2 other supporting characters are so short .You havent even grasped the situation and then one moment later its already the revelation time.
Mar 5, 2011 2:39 AM

Sep 2010
Roketsu said:
Huge post, so click the spoiler tag at your own risk :P

After some fleshing out of the story and putting it together...I do give the series a lot more credit since it was all there and there werent really any holes in the story. However, I feel that the way it presented itself wasnt up to snuff compared to the story it was telling. It felt at times the story jumped all over the place and jumbled over itself...when the crow was introduced and we are suppose to realize it was always there in the first place reminds me of when a film uses fancy cuts to show that something was there all along but we just didnt pay attention...then we were suppose to swallow that the crows spirit was either Yukitos or I believe ryuuya. The problem with that is that if the crow was yukitos soul...whos the meat bag thats controlling him? And even if it was his ancestor ryuuya, it takes away from the main characters significance in my opinion because when you are reincarnated...you take over someones spirit or soul which is now yours...so how is there still an original floating around right next to you in the form of a bird? I think it was a solid series nonetheless but it has a lot of things in the way to be considered great.
Mar 24, 2011 8:26 AM

Aug 2010
7/10 having the 2 episode story from the past kinda set me off, and with this size of only 12 episodes it just didn't fit right, ESPECIALLY being in the middle of the anime. nonetheless it was still a good anime just not something i would praise as being amazing.
Mar 25, 2011 4:39 AM

Dec 2007
That's too bad. The story of Kanna, Ryuuya, and Uraha (the "Summer" Arc) is the centerpiece of Air. It is the storytelling behind the events of 1000 years ahead (with Misuzu, Yukito, Kano, Minagi, etc). It's like saying the Illusionary World doesn't fit right in Clannad. That's just silly, cause without the Illusionary World there'd be no foreshadowing or backstory to the events that are occurring to Nagisa, Tomoya, and Ushio.

I'd say give it a rewatch in a few years or so, particularly if you liked the other Key works. Air is probably the hardest to understand in regards to symbolism and story progression of the 3, but once the connections are made most people see how brilliant the story is.
Mar 25, 2011 5:17 PM

Jul 2010
I think Air is such a beautiful anime and it's a real shame that it seems to go under the radar and not many people have heard of it. The storyline is confusing but other people's thoughts on it have given me such a clearer understanding... Now I just want to watch it again and again!

I knew it would be but I hate how incredibly sad the ending is. I cried so hard at this! But I'd recommend it to anyone.
"Don't call me small! I'll break down your feet and stick 'em on your head!"
Mar 27, 2011 6:56 PM

Sep 2010
Such a bittersweet ending
My only complaint is that Kano and Minagi's arcs seemed to have little relations to the main arc. They're there as filler characters.
Since many people have already commented on the logic behind this story, I'm not going to say anything further.
Out of the 3 key works, I find Air to be very mystical, while Kanon and Clannad focuses on (slightly) more mundane subjects. It is also the only one where viewers are not thrown the cheesy "saved by a wish" ending. Thus Air's meaningful plot is far more superior to Kanon and Clannad's (more) linear storyline. That in itself deserves recognition.
(However, death is always sad. And again Misuzu's departure will leave me saddened for days)
This story has very good potential and rewatch value, too bad that it had to be crammed into one mere season. Even so, I don't really see why this show is so under-appreciated. Well, besides the fact that it's so difficult to understand. (Going to watch it again some time after I feel better)
Overall very enjoyable. A great work by KEY.

Mar 27, 2011 7:17 PM

Dec 2007
Kano and Minagi's arcs were to purport how Kanna's sorrow didn't only affect her reincarnations, but rather her influence can be seen with anyone who touched the feathers of the Kannabi no Mikoto.
Jun 5, 2011 3:21 AM

Mar 2010
I watched the series in an odd order, started with Kanon, then Clannad (then Angel Beats), and now Air. I must say that Air is the most difficult to understand from them, but I got through it anyways. :) Kanon had a good solid going overall, and with Clannad I didn't find the first season all that impressive, that is, up until After story. It's hard to put them in any ranking though...

So i finished this episode, and all i have to say is what? So, are the kids supposed to be a reincarnation of yukito and misuzu? Yukito was also the crow, himself, and that kid. Was this arc supposed to be a retelling with the crow added because i'm pretty sure that i didn't see a crow in the first episode.

The crow was there in the first episode you know, it stole the puppet. Even those kids were there on the beach.

Both the crow and the kids weren't important back in the beginning of the story, so I can understand that several people missed it.

Do think that the series would have deserved to have a longer run, these 12 episodes make for a fairly crammed in story, especially with it not being chronological.

Nothing much to say except for I'm going to go and die in the corner of my room now <.>

No, go out and act like nothing happened and then die like Misuzu....
Jun 19, 2011 9:28 AM

Feb 2011
That was so fucking sad...
Jul 25, 2011 8:36 AM

Jul 2010
Not going to lie. I laughed a bit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2011 4:27 PM

Jan 2011
Perfect ending, it is a great way to wrap up a sad anime series. Once in a while i keep remembering the ending scene of two children holding hand and walking on the beach. For me, it is an anime i will remember for a long time b/c it is the one of the very first ten anime i watched.
Aug 1, 2011 4:44 AM
Jul 2010
gregory003 said:
Not going to lie. I laughed a bit.
I'm not trying to offend you or anything but... what are you? I was bawling for the whole second half of the episode...
Aug 5, 2011 1:21 AM

Aug 2010
Sheer disappointment for me. Felt like leaving a lot of unexplained things hanging in the air (no pun intended) and killing off Misuzu for the sake of adding drama and to depress the viewer. Well, the latter certainly happened. I didn't cry per se, but maybe the magical sickness of a cute innocent girl got too repetitive. 3/5, I was expecting some grand finale like in Clannad AS. Gave the series a 7/10, it was good, but certainly bundled with flaws.
Aug 5, 2011 1:38 AM

Dec 2007
You were expecting some bullshit Deus Ex Machina ending and instead got a true bittersweet one and you complain?

Not everything in life ends up sunshine and rainbows. There aren't always Dragonballs you can use to wish back the dead. And considering that Misuzu was actually able to reach her 'goal' I think she was happy with her choice. Would you rather her live out her life in perpetual solitude with nobody around her at all, like all Kanna's reincarnations had lived beforehand?

Killing off Misuzu was not for "added drama". You just completely missed the entire point of the show.
Aug 28, 2011 2:11 PM

Feb 2009
A very flawed anime which left me quite sad for a couple days after this episode. "Goal" followed by Aozora is thoroughly depressing, I don't think there's been one anime which compares to the sadness I felt when watching that. The song is certainly a big part of it.
Sep 3, 2011 10:24 PM

Oct 2010
I didn't care for the underlying background stories with all the themes, reincarnations, prophecy, and so on. I just didn't buy it. The story is full of "triggers" that cause something to happen for no physical or logical reason, but rather for magical reasons. I couldn't help but feel that it was contrived, convenient, pointless. It's like the specific background story elements were put in afterwards as a way to get the results and character behaviors that they wanted.

I got the feeling that it was just trying to be deep and profound, but instead it just made me shake my head and say "um, ok..." I felt like I was in a high school literature class being asked to write an essay the themes and symbolism found in some old classic novel. I never cared about that kind of stuff then, and I still don't now.

But besides that, the rest of the series was very good. I liked the characters, the atmosphere, music, the humor. The beginning was the best, before the strange background story elements took control of everything. I had it rated an 8 after the first few episodes and thought that it could become a 9 as things developed, but it went in that nonsensical fantasy direction and became quite random, so I score the whole thing as a 6.5 or a 7.
Sep 11, 2011 7:24 AM

Dec 2010
Here's a slightly controversial theory...

Yukito is not the crow. Yukito did exactly what he told Misuzu he was going to do, and left the town. Misuzu dreamed about Yukito appearing in her room and comforting her that night (She tells the crow the following morning "Last night I dreamed about someone I loved") and so many people assumed that, because this is a Key work and magic is often used in confusing yet heart-warming ways, Yukito had somehow died and transferred his spirit to the crow so that he could be by Misuzu's side forever. Yukito is still alive somewhere, and probably still broke. The crow is most likely the spirit of Ryuuya, continuing his thousand-year quest to find Kanna after Misuzu's death.

As for the kids on the beach...I have no idea. Until I look further into it, I'm just going to put it down to 'LOL, editors'.
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Sep 14, 2011 7:32 PM
Sep 2011
@teasaveslives

you need to rewatch Air TV bro. Yukito is 100% the crow. I dont even understand how you missed that.

He turned into the crow so he can stay by her side. Also turning into the crow allowed her to live longer and achieve happiness which broke the curse.

Think of it as a paralles universe. Yukito is both the crow AND the guy who actually left. But his spirit was 100% definently in the crow.
Oct 2, 2011 11:16 AM
Dec 2010
I think this was a great series. I loved the characters and the emotion. I just got a little confused at the ending but it still was very sad. It felt like this story tried to explain something very important to the viewers, and even if I can't explain it in words, I think I understood.
10/10!
Oct 24, 2011 7:17 AM

Oct 2011
Well, I watched this 'cause I'd finished Clannad and it left me not happy with the other stuff on my to-watch list.

I kept through all the episodes 'cause they were gorgeously drawn, just like Clannad was, but the story was too obtuse to really appreciate for me. It wasn't until episode 10 I found myself even caring much about what happened. A bit misty-eyed in episode 11, but compared to the tears rolling down my cheeks at a half dozen different points in Clannad... Air was a bit of a disappointment.

Still, it scores a solid 7 from me due to the wonderful art if nothing else.
<a href="">;;RykOakwine.png</a>
Nov 2, 2011 3:30 AM

Jun 2011
Oh come on peoples, it wasn't THAT depressing
Dec 9, 2011 3:04 PM

Nov 2011
for me...a great seriese and a great ending even if is very confusing, but the explanations on the first page are helping little bit.
I love the characters and the emotion,
so...I think Yukito and Misuzu are together, this is all what I want

10/10
qazx3Dec 10, 2011 1:29 AM
Dec 11, 2011 2:11 AM
Nov 2011
Odd that I can't get to the last page of this thread.

Anyways. This Anime ended on such a sad note. I knew Mizusu was lying to Hiroku. I knew it, and yet I understood it was a lie out of compassion for her mother. That's twice I've seen a character in a series they built up a character that I disliked )The other was ....

Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 11, 2012 7:53 PM
Apr 2011
Wow! I cried in this episode too.
Apr 11, 2012 10:39 AM

Feb 2011
I guess i shoud have posted here long ago..but anyway Great anime made me share a tear.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Air Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

hznu - Aug 20, 2008

62 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jan 11, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Piroko - Nov 12, 2007

100 by KingYoshi »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:37 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Genix - Oct 16, 2008

58 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yukia-Kontan - May 30, 2008

74 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Genix - Oct 9, 2008

58 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.