Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2012 7:27 AM
Jan 2012
Mao is cool, I wonder how he really looks like.
Nov 20, 2012 11:12 PM

May 2011
That detective is a BRO. I really enjoyed this arc overall as I can always love the "investigation" theme.

Mao had his moments and Hei's role in all of this was great too.

I really hope that detective and his flamboyant semi-loli assistant show up again in the future!
Dec 23, 2012 4:25 AM
Dec 2012
hmmm, interesting, seemed to be two different peices of story going on, one with the guy collecting bottled samples concerning hell's gate which the syndicate wanted and another concerning the widow and the strange case with the smell-man
This anime just gets stranger and stranger....
But at least the OP stays the epic same ~
Jan 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Jan 2012
Well, I have to say I didn't enjoy this story, it had to much talk and little action. Glad it's over. I wonder what story is coming next.

Mar 27, 2013 2:09 PM

May 2012
So far for this case wasn't all to bad I like the detective his assistant! Lets see what's next!
May 29, 2013 5:12 PM

Jun 2012
this where funny episodes and good on a different way but less action but in this case not bad.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jun 13, 2013 10:48 AM
Mar 2013
This was a great, refreshing change of pace from the incredibly repetitive and draining 1st three mini-arcs.
I really enjoyed it (though the 'mystery' was very odd to say the least!)
Jul 3, 2013 2:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow took me this long to realize "Mao" is cat in Mandarin...I kept reading and it hearing it as Ma-o, the Japanese pronunciation, but then the few times Hei said Mao's name, I could hear it as Mandarin. Should've realized since Hei, Yin, and Huang are also also Mandarin.

This mini arc was okay, the best part was learning about Mao and how he can possess animals. LOL when he hit the bridge. Great job. And I also came to the conclusion that Yuzuki was the guy who can possess other bodies, mostly because the sniffing the sock part isn't actually his obeisance.
Jul 29, 2013 5:23 PM

Sep 2011
I'm just going to pretend this was a filler. Glad its over, looking forward to the next arc.
Aug 3, 2013 12:25 PM

Feb 2013
I liked the detective guy. He was so close in solving the case.

I also think that the contractor Hei killed was Yuzuki though it was only hinted.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Sep 28, 2013 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, funny episode. And it seems we are going back to the gloomy episodes from next episode.
Jan 12, 2014 7:09 PM

Dec 2012
I want a talking cat as a pet :(
Jan 22, 2014 2:30 AM

Jul 2013
can't believe you can sue people just by calling you flat-chested...

damn this arc was all about....scent... even that guy's obeisance was to smell a smelly used sock...or not...

hahaha that creepy maid have the hots for him.

well it was entertaining though
Jul 5, 2014 2:11 PM

Oct 2013
Lmao that maid at the end
was a decent ep i guess dont really see was great about this anime so far hope it picks up I kind of feel disapointed by this anime so far
[/quote]
Jul 6, 2014 7:35 AM

Aug 2013
Sukotsutsu said:
A rather slow episode, didn't see too much action. At least we got to know more about Mao... Also did anyone else notice the Pizza Hut? It seems Pizza Hut has been showing up in a lot of anime these days like Code Geass

I know for at least Code Geass that Pizza Hut sponsored them in Japan.
My Candies:
Aug 24, 2014 6:46 PM

Jul 2014
Thought the widow was going to be more involved in the story, she ended up being unimportant.
I liked this arc, very funny.
Sep 12, 2014 12:00 AM

Apr 2014
Mao this ep LOL. His wink at the end was super cute. I was never a fan of cats, but I'm a fan of Mao.
Oct 29, 2014 3:33 AM

Oct 2013
so cat guy meow has lost his body
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jan 8, 2015 2:05 PM

Mar 2013
Not as good as the previous arcs but still enjoyable
Aug 9, 2015 9:32 PM

Apr 2009
Ya'll are boring, this episode arc was hilarious.
Sep 23, 2015 10:43 AM
Dec 2011
i love this episode .. i got a good insight to what happen to mao and his power what happen to him they explained almost 75% of his story and i love the directive duo i love them and so happy that nothing happen to the directive kurawasa and pinky :3
Nov 15, 2015 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
lol the cat

Nov 28, 2015 1:13 AM
May 2012
So she really loved him, huh.
Mar 3, 2016 11:36 AM

Aug 2014
Unlike many here, I thought this arc was rather good.

I wouldn't mind seeing the detective (and his partner) make another appearance in the series.
Mar 4, 2016 11:42 PM

Jul 2008
If only all cats could talk.
May 6, 2016 5:36 AM

Oct 2012
Lol Mao, he's trying to be funny but Hei didn't laugh xD
"Signature removed"
May 19, 2016 9:59 PM

Feb 2016
the side story with the detective came to an end with this and the main plot is probably going to progress further now.
Jun 19, 2016 9:30 AM

Mar 2015
I absolutely love the way body snatches are portrayed. Their regrets and fruitless attempts to hold onto their pasts and what they used to be is really fascinating. Sniffing a piece of cloth to remind yourself of the person you were and still trying to hold onto that even in the very last moments of your life is heartbreaking. They're almost like a embodiment of the other contractors' identity crisis.
Jun 23, 2016 4:06 PM

Nov 2015

That start of the episode was to laugh xD jajaja
That an anime this dark and serious has scenes and moments than can make you laugh and smile is a very good thing. Very good indeed.
Jul 21, 2016 7:17 PM

Dec 2013
The old dude and his smelling feitsh was just weird.

Didn't realise the cat used to be human...
Aug 13, 2016 3:44 PM

Sep 2013
didn't enjoy this storyline much

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 2, 2017 3:04 AM

Jun 2016
feels like a filler, lets move on!
Jul 7, 2017 5:19 PM

May 2010
This went into some weeeird direction right at the end @_@ The private detective was surprisingly interesting though, and this was probably my favourite mini-arc yet (maybe because it was so messed up). Sure, I wish there was something more about main characters, but for what we got, it was decent.

And Mao is just pure awesomness, cute cat with a cool voice, I want moar! :3 Wonder what kind of remuneration he has to do after using his power?
May 3, 2018 3:41 AM
Dec 2017
I liked this arc, just because it was had a lot of cat-and-mouse interplay between the sock guy, and Hei, and the detective... I do kinda wish it made more sense, as I didn't really understand what was going on behind the scenes.

(She's right about Hei, tho... whew)
Nov 30, 2018 7:26 PM

Feb 2015
Not my favorite arc - sad story tho. It was interesting learning more about Mao and how body-snatching works for contractors.

Jun 18, 2019 9:35 AM

Sep 2012
u did it urself, u got balls, at least their big 😂😂😂

mao told him to be more careful just sec before he hits the wall in crows body oh that irony 😂😂😂, that almost killed me
Sugram22Jun 18, 2019 9:43 AM
Jan 30, 2020 2:01 PM

Apr 2015
I think the show is getting better and better and am a little surprised to see how many people are disappointed with this arc (though, I can see how that might have been the case back when this was airing weekly).

I really think it's the most interesting one yet. Honestly, most of the action in this show falls pretty flat, which is especially scathing given it's a BONES production. So having a focus moreso on themes and the unique depiction of them is cool. What I realized watching this arc is that I really like how the insertion of the main protagonist Hei is always in relation to something else. He's often not really portrayed as a big part in any singular event, and even when he is made out to be a savior or incredibly important his introduction is still as a second party (the first arc and the third one stand out as times where Hei was given a bit more importance but still began as an outsider). It's way more intriguing watching other people figure stuff out only for the protagonist to step in, rather than watching the MC act like a fairly generic detective MC (he certainly does do detective work, but the framing always puts more emphasis on other people's perspectives figuring things out). This is another reason why the often used Batman comparison feels a little out of place to me. It's not like Hei is directing the story as a detective crime fighter...

The way in which concepts connect feels very original and, while I can see how something like a fear or phobia of cats might seem a bit too on the nose in hindsight, I like how the detective knowing superstitious methods of keeping cats away makes total sense without the show having to explain it to you. He hates cats! Of course he'd know what kind of methods a lady with a garbage aroma-giving house would use to keep cats away! The show doesn't even explain that connection, which to be fair they make it pretty overt that he hates cat, but letting the viewer connect the dots as to how the detective knows such things is great! Such a simple thing but it was such a great moment at the time. (I also loved realizing right before the show explained it that they were trying to capture Mao in the last episode).

In general, the way that simple things like cats or aroma connected to thoughtful narrative or thematic moments was nice. I'm not sure I've seen a show focus on aroma so much before, but it's fascinating and hilarious all at the same time. Not in a laugh-out-loud kind of way, but just the thought of a show centering it's drama around an Ex-Wife's smell is so ridiculous, but as a creative parallel to more standard jealousy narratives it's great. Aroma is obviously just a metaphor for any special thing that connects human beings to each other, and that makes others who can't connect on that same level jealous. Also great to see how smell is used in yet another thoughtful way, with a body-switching contractor who's lost his body using a smelly old sock to remind him of who he used to be!

Darker Than Black just seems to prefer using weird narrative devices to make up for often bare-bones stories. Instead of satellite images being used to track characters, detectives look to fake stars in the sky with astronomers to understand what is going on with contractors in the world??? Instead of having clear-cut super powers, most characters have very basic and limited strengths that are actually extremely lame most of the time (partially a failing on the show's direction to be fair), with consequences for the contracts being both slightly-edgy but also not particularly bothersome??? Smell is just the best executed of these weird examples.
observing a woman's body
May 26, 2020 11:46 AM

Jul 2016
I hope we see more of that detective haha he is mad funny, he playing a dangerous game though :p
Dec 28, 2020 12:15 AM

Jul 2017
This episode fell flat for me, and really the arc too although I enjoyed the previous episode more for the banter really. Here mostly everything felt a bit stale and the mystery wasn't really that captivating for me with a meh payoff too. Don't even find Mao that interesting either to be honest. Only thing I liked about this episode, was the music and the dub like the previous episodes.
Jan 10, 2021 6:42 AM

Sep 2017
Thus far only thing I am able to see is that darker than black is really slow in setting up the premise. Like LOADS SLOW. Snails have finished marathons faster.

I have seen many instances in other shows such as in Stein's gate, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu but the slowness in those examples eventually do build up to something. Here, there is no episode to get attached towards. There is no end goal in sight and no greater plot this series follows. Until now, all I have been seeing is a bunch of fillers and nothing else.

Does anyone remember the scientist woman in the first 2 episodes who was researching the gate?
Does anyone remember the daughter of the botanist?
Cause I sure won't. So far they have been completely irrelevant to what may come later.

And so will the detective. This is another filler disguised as relevant plot. Nobody will care about the detective. He is just some one off character.

Well, there is no plot thus far, so what about characters? Is there something that appeals us to the MC or his team?

NO

To start with, we know nothing about the girl except she can divine water.
We only see that the cat is a bodysnatcher this episode and only a passing comment of how they miss their older bodies.

We see another old guy working with them but no reason is given as to why is he working with them.

And to speak of Li/whatever the MC is called, he is just searching after his sister and nothing more has been given to his character.

And did I forget about Kirihara? You bet your cojones I did cause she does nothing as the police lady except to advance the plot.

Nothing really happens this episode that should have involved contractors. Yeah the contractor was stealing company secrets but who really gives a shit? This was more about a forgettable plot of searching for the cat that ended up in some kind of murder mystery that ended up in just some exposition about jealous trophy wife that nobody is gonna care about.

There is no proper world building even. I am not invested in the world of darker than black.

I am just watching this to determine what the fuck is the hype about darker than black right now.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Feb 9, 2021 11:06 AM
Oct 2019
the cat named mao. meow haha. crazy that his body is lost and he can only reside in animals now, whoa

huang is an ass. and i feel like hei is going to have to fight/kill him at some point?

no police lady these last 2 episodes...

the perfume vials were related to the gate? how in the what? i guess we'll find out later
Feb 15, 2021 10:27 AM

May 2020
Kinda boring episode but I get the joke. That milf tho. In the end case closed with no suspect
Jun 28, 2021 5:59 AM

Jan 2020
A woman enjoy having sex with an old geezer, guess someone like that existed huh...? Well for the money, I guess....
Jul 19, 2021 3:03 PM

Mar 2019
Still confused with some things but seems like this arc is over. I liked the detective guy a lot, glad he's alive. Now I really hope the action comes soon.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 26, 2021 9:32 PM

Aug 2018
hopefully we can see the detective again. ..

Mar 2, 2023 4:27 PM

Dec 2022
The plot of this arc being nothing more than a smell fetish is funny, but not really as captivating as the previous subplots. I am surprised that DtB still seems to have a episodic plot for the moment, but it hasn't hindered the enjoyment factor.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 12, 2023 9:21 PM
May 2017
Blayze said:
thatguy said:

Revisiting this episode after so much time made me remember that I had a similar thought when I first saw it. Was the dead CEO really the contractor seeking revenge for some plot against his employees and board trustees? After all he was obsessed with smell and that sock may have belonged to his old body....or even his first wife's. After all it would explain why Hei was undercover at the Widow's house just in case said contractor went to see her or something (although Contractors are said to be without the emotional part of the brain and that wouldn't be a very rational move)

Yes, I'm not alone! Lol, I was talking to my brother about this after we watched it and he was acting like I was crazy :s The hints were admittedly subtle, but my reasoning's pretty much the same:

1) The body-thief had strong connections to the perfume company, and at the beginning of episode 7 mentions that he remembers his victim him killing him, and there is a potential the old guy was murdered by the people in his company (I can't really remember at the moment if they say the cause of death explicitly though).
2) The body-thief takes those perfumes from each of the victims- the old guy was a collector of them, and these would have been especially rare since they're supposed to have components from beyond the gate. It's also very likely the old guy's remuneration/obeisance was either smelling things (The wife's description sounded as if the old dude was pretty obsessive over it, much like the contractors are with their obeisances) or simply the collecting of the perfumes.
3) Sniffing the sock- it's stated it wasn't his remuneration, so it'd be a very strange thing to do, unless you're a crazy dude obsessed with smells. Now, who's sock it is could be debatable, personally I think it's the first wife's since he loved her scent and what not, but unfortunately I couldn't find any direct hints toward that, like if the body was missing one of the socks or some such.
4) There would have to have been a significant connection between that mansion and the body-thief for Hei to have been working there- I'm very doubtful it was just coincidence.
5) Kind of ties into 4, but from a directing standpoint it'd be very strange to have two nearly completely unrelated events with the slightest of interaction between one another (The jacket mix-up) in the same arc.

Anyways, I think there was a lot more to this case than was shown on-screen, and I personally found this arc to be one of my favorites because of it. It left only a few hints and left it up to the viewers to put it all together, but then again, I could be just over-analyzing the non-existent, lol.

Is this a problematic necro? I hope not.
Anyway, I don't think the sniffer and old man are the same guy. The sniffer according to the episode is supposed to be a guy name Amitabh from India and the body being that of his supposed partner. The old man seems... well too old to be the partner of this guy. His involvement in the perfume could simply be about money since those vials are very valuable. In the episode itself, sniffer say something about wanting to 'leave this wretched country as soon as the job is over', probably going back to his homeland. Doesn't seem like the old man who supposedly lived in Japan.

Anyway, really enjoyed this arc. Even though it may not have been as great as the previous ones.
Jul 30, 2023 7:52 AM

Apr 2013
Hm the conclusion was not as good as last episode unfortunately. Hopefully we'll see that detective again though.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.