Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2008 11:22 PM

Jan 2008
Ok, we've had lots of talk and debate about series that aren't currently spotlighted in the comments section of the page. So in hopes to alleviate the clutter that massive comment based discussions create I present to you the "Open Discussion" thread. This thread is for anything you could possibly want to discuss with your fellow club members, whether it be Anime, Manga, or RL. So have at it guys!
santetjanSep 11, 2011 9:39 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 26, 2008 9:28 AM

Apr 2007
Not sure what this open discussion is to contain. Random rants or reflections? Opinions and arguments?

If it's down to opinions and discussions, then I'll admit that I'm curious as to how such a lowly, pointless fanservice fest like Goldenboy makes it onto a list that contains such higher classed titles as Air, X TV, and Evangelion.
Mar 26, 2008 9:38 AM

Sep 2007
RanKizama said:
Not sure what this open discussion is to contain. Random rants or reflections? Opinions and arguments?

If it's down to opinions and discussions, then I'll admit that I'm curious as to how such a lowly, pointless fanservice fest like Goldenboy makes it onto a list that contains such higher classed titles as Air, X TV, and Evangelion.

That's funny, because I've heard Golden Boy was better than all of those, from fairly intelligent anime fans.
Mar 26, 2008 10:19 AM

Jan 2008
I have never seen Golden Boy or X tv, but I have never thought very highly of Air or NGE.

As for what this thread is for, it's pretty much something to contain the overflowing conversation that is taking place in the "comments" section on the front page.

Mar 26, 2008 3:18 PM

Dec 2007
I guess if you don't think to highly of any anime with fanservice its understandable but Golden Boy also has amazing characters and story layout despite it having only 6 episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2008 5:19 PM

Jun 2007
I haven't seen Golden Boy but i don't really think highly of Evangelion =__=; (mother of overrated anime >_>)
Anyway, I have also heard from very good anime critics (in my opinion) that the characters in Golden Boy are pretty amazing. So I have no argument untill I watch it.

Mar 26, 2008 5:27 PM

Sep 2007
People have been telling me to watch Golden Boy but I just never got around to seeing it =/ And I don't think very highly of NGE or Air either. I've heard what was good about NGE but now that I think about it, I don't know what people thought was good about Air... Anyone care to explain?
Mar 26, 2008 5:50 PM

Jan 2008
Iriya said:
Anyone care to explain?

People love them some melodrama mixed with a bit of harem. I thought it was all right, I think I gave it a seven, a masterpiece I am afraid it is not. But, I disagree with this unhighly (definitely not a real word) thinking of NGE. While it is not amazing, it was a good watch with an interesting plot and characters. I think people (because of the hype) tend to expect more, having been a novice anime fan at the time I first watched it, I came in with no expectations.
maxcherry715Mar 26, 2008 6:11 PM
Mar 26, 2008 6:11 PM

Jul 2007
Air, though it had it's faults (I can admit that though I loved the series), was a good show if not only for the underlying drama found in the show. True, it's just another one of those multiple Harem shows based off a popular Visual Novel but you just need to get past that. The story itself is rather interesting and I like both Misuzu and Yukito's personalities, so conflicting but work perfectly together.

Then again thats just my thoughts on it. No I'm not a KyoAni fanboy, I just loved it because of the drama and those two characters.

NGE on the other hand was a disappointment. I won't say I didn't enjoy it when I first saw it, because I certainly did, but the story just wasn't that great and the characters were extremely lacking. Plus the fact that Gainax and American distributors just don't want this title to phase out by re-releasing the series, making new movies, turning it into a live action, and rewriting the original end of the series isn't helping the fact any (seriously the series was good back in the day, now let it rest in the annuals of anime history). I liked in when I first saw it, 8 years ago. Now I cringe every time I hear the name.

I can't seriously comment on Golden Boy as I have yet to have the pleasure of seeing it but from what I've heard it's supposed to be better then both NGE and Air TV. Again I won't put any thoughts on it though since I really can't.
UnhallowedDeceitMar 26, 2008 6:31 PM
Mar 26, 2008 6:21 PM

Jan 2008
UnhallowedDeceit said:
Gonzo

Do you mean Gainax?
Mar 26, 2008 6:30 PM

Jul 2007
Yea, there you go. Sorry did not catch that. Thanks for correcting me.
Mar 26, 2008 6:32 PM

Jan 2008
Your very welcome.
Mar 26, 2008 7:58 PM

Jul 2007
Iriya said:
I don't know what people thought was good about Air... Anyone care to explain?

Oh, gladly. Though it's sunk a few spaces on my personal favorites list, it's stil in the top 10 three years later.

Air is one of those really rare series that comes along every once in a while that doesn't need magical girls or giant robots or 10-episode-long one-on-one fights to make it good. It does it with pure child-like fantasy and raw human emotion.

The first thing that really caught my eye was the absolutely stunning animation. Lush backgrounds, an enormous color palette, a good lack of reuse in cels and the characters all move so fluidly. There's very little CG animation either which is very impressive in this day and age. The only real complaint is the eyes, but I chalk that up to Kyoto Animation experimenting with the style, from which they have greatly improved from nowadays.

I also have to give a nod to one of the best OSTs I've heard all year. The OP and the ED were brilliant and the song at Ep. 12 always gets me a little teary whenever I hear it. The BGM was perfect for every scene it was used in.

Like most slice-of-life dramatic anime, I didn't expect an overreaching story. Actually, I thought it was strange for Yukito to meet Misuzu right from the start and seemed like they were going to rush it. The Kano and Minagi arcs, though nothing of much value, chipped away the surface of the underlying plot while giving Yukito and Misuzu time to get better acquainted with one another. Then came the Summer arc, which did a great job of explaining the amazing but seriously tragic backstory behind Misuzu's dreams and why Yukito was always supposed to meet Misuzu. Not only that, but it adds multiple layers to the story itself, answering litlte hints left behind in episodes before. Of course, everyone who has seen the series most likely has the final arc embossed in their memory. This is where the series loses all possible links to the word "cliche" and becomes a powerful portrait of family, specifically that of a parent and their child.

Still, I believe it was the characters that really set this anime apart from the others of its shared genre. They all feel very original and have great support as to why they act the way they do, especially Haruko, who I thought was a horrible character in the beginning for distancing herself from Misuzu. But after Ep. 11, I saw her in a totally different light. Actually, the characterization behind all the characters is amazing.

Overall, I wouldn't mind saying this was my favorite anime of 2005. It's short so there's no serious commitment and the characters themselves spark a lot of real emotion. And for those bogged down by bad animation and music, this will be a bright pick-me-up to see that the harmony between sight and sound in anime is still alive.

Final word? If you haven't seen it, get it. I know what you'll probably think at first glance, but it's not a harem and there's no fanservice. This is just good old-fashioned storytelling and characterization at it's best in many many years.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 26, 2008 9:11 PM

Nov 2007
I'm going to have to agree with Splitter on most of the points made above, although I will state that the family theme is actually very prevalent throughout the entire series, especially in the case of Yukito. His ancestors wanted to save Kanna no matter what, and that duty was passed down through the generations to Yukito.

What I enjoyed most about the show was the way it ended. All too often with animes of this type, the creators feel the need to make light of all the drama and tragedy by giving the audience an undeserved "happy" ending. Thankfully they stuck to their guns with Air.

I agree with Splitter on the final point as well. Air is most definitely not a harem anime, and thank the heavens that they didn't put any fanservice in there.

As for the other animes mentioned so far:

X TV - disappointing at best. The story was far too melodramatic and the characters too 1-dimensional.

NGE - I watched it when it was first released. I wasn't impressed then, and I'm still not impressed now. Too much hype, not enough substance, virtually no character development for anyone except that whining maggot Ikari Shinji (just the name makes my fists itch). I'll make it very clear - Top wo Nerae is better.

Golden Boy - Yes it has fanservice, but don't let that fool you. Golden Boy has some of the best characters in anime - ever. The story's not bad either :)

What a day! What a lovely Day!
Mar 27, 2008 5:07 AM
Aug 2007
I personally found Air too bland, formulaic and mind-numbingly silly to watch, let alone thoroughly enjoy. The animation certainly was very pretty, with a huge amount of detail in the cel work, as well as really fluid movement. But I thought the character designs were quite ugly, which sort of pulled the aesthetics of the series down a notch for me. The story felt, to me, to just be trite dating sim nonsense. All the fleshed-out drama you could pack into it couldn't mask the backbone of its premise, which is scarcely more believable than Love Hina's. I realise it isn't harem, but it stinks of the bishoujo game format. I found half the characters grated on my nerves, and the way they were developed seemed immature. By the time potato came along, the stupid looking dog that ran around making absurd noises and basically wasting half an episode in a sorry excuse for a plot point, my disenchantment with Air was almost complete. I didn't end up watching that much, and I'm sure it gets better and all that, but I couldn't stand what I saw of it, which seemed like it was just beautified cliche. There are plenty of other anime out there without mecha or magical girls that manage to tell poignant dramatic and romantic stories a lot better than this, so I really don't understand why Air (and Kanon and CLANNAD for that matter) get the attention they do.

I see Evangelion hate continues to increase in popularity. Personally, I respect the series for its pioneering story and style, as well as enjoying it on the basis of entertainment value. It's not perfect by any measure, but I found that it was suspenseful, emotive and it was one of the first times I came across an entertainment medium that felt so confrontational and intense. Back when I first saw it, the series left quite a big impact. Shinji is fun to detest, but he's a pinnacle example of the anti-hero mold breaking through cliche and conformity. When Evangelion was released it was something that hadn't been done before, something challenging and ambitious that, alongside a few other key titles like SE:Lain vitalised the anime industry for the late 90s and into 2000+. In short, although it may not be the most polished or intelligent anime out there, but at the very least it deserves its clout and some recognition.
Mar 27, 2008 9:47 AM

Oct 2007
For me, AIR was like a breath of fresh air. I had never watched a harem series, and i didnt even realize AIR was a harem series until after i started watching it. I downloaded it because it was on a site wher ei get my anime and since it was 13 episodes i watched it, with no prior knowledge about it. Either way i was so surprised at how much this story moved me. After watching so many shoujo romance stories this one was so different and i fell in love. I thought the story was so sad, and so funny, and even though misuzu's voice annoyed me so much i loved her and how yukito took care of her and stuff. the side characters were also really entertaining and loveable. It's been a while since i've watched the show so i can't say more but i think i liked it so much because it was much different than stuff i had been watching or had watched at the time. oh, and it made me cry like a baby. and shows that can make me do that get more points on my list :P
Mar 27, 2008 9:59 AM

Nov 2007
Air...isn't a harem series.

However, I found the characters to be dull at best and unlikeable at worst, and thought the story was sloppily handled. It looks great and sounds great but ultimately left me empty. Washi already said most of what I think about Air (and Eva too!) so no need to repeat things.

X TV I dropped after 1 DVD worth because I got tired of watching fake-feeling drama and endless feather storms.

Golden Boy is one of the best ecchi comedy out there (alongside Ebichu) so I have to give it a higher rating just for doing what it's supposed to do well. Not going to nominate it though.
Mar 27, 2008 11:36 AM

Nov 2007
I'm going to quote form you directly if you don't mind Washi :)

Washi said:
I see Evangelion hate continues to increase in popularity. Personally, I respect the series for its pioneering story and style, as well as enjoying it on the basis of entertainment value. It's not perfect by any measure, but I found that it was suspenseful, emotive and it was one of the first times I came across an entertainment medium that felt so confrontational and intense. Back when I first saw it, the series left quite a big impact. Shinji is fun to detest, but he's a pinnacle example of the anti-hero mold breaking through cliche and conformity. When Evangelion was released it was something that hadn't been done before, something challenging and ambitious that, alongside a few other key titles like SE:Lain vitalised the anime industry for the late 90s and into 2000+. In short, although it may not be the most polished or intelligent anime out there, but at the very least it deserves its clout and some recognition.

I'm not going to argue that NGE is popular, or that it deserves classic status. I'm also not going to argue that it helped to revive anime as a medium in other countries. I will however, point out the fact that NGE is not pioneering in story. Style-wise it doeslook different to many mecha anime, but the story is an old one at best, and unfortunately, it was done better in one of Hideaki Anno's earlier works - Top wo Nerae (a.k.a. Gunbuster), and the characterisations in Top wo Nerae beat NGE hands down.

I should also point out that anime as a medium, at least in the UK, had steadily been on the rise since the release of Akira, and the release of NGE did little to spur this steady growth on to greater heights.

You mention that Ikari Shinji is "the pinnacle example of the anti-hero mould breaking through cliche and conformity", but I put it to you that Takaya Noriko from Top wo Nerae actually supercedes this claim by a good seven years. Shinji is always treated as special, whereas Noriko has to work for everything - and she works damn hard for it too. Both characters go through the whole journey of self discovery, and both come out with different views of the world, and different ideas on how to achieve their respective goals. If I had to choose who has thetoughest time though, I would have to go with Noriko (you'll understand if you watch the show).

I said in my previous post that Top wo Nerae is better than NGE. If you watch it then you'll understand why I make this statement. Both are works by Hideaki Anno, but one of the main differences between the two is the use of a deus ex machina plot device in NGE. I refer to the whole mysticism (i.e. kaballah), aspect of the show, which is used partly as a driver for the plot, and partly to justify certain actions being taken. It is, in effect, a get-out clause. Top wo Nerae doesn't rely on any "divine intervention" so the story is actually driven by the characters themselves.

In addition to this, Hideaki Anno challenged the stereotypical view of anime at the time by making the entire last episode of Top wo Nerae in black and white. This gave the finale much more impact and depth of emotion than the previous episodes, and is something he used at times in later works as well because of it's effectiveness in Top wo Nerae. Hideaki Anno took a big risk in making the finale this way, but it paid off in the eyes of many critics, and even received high praise in various Sci-Fi magazines of the day (I remember reading about it at the time it was released).

I'm not meaning to be disrespectful to all the fans of NGE out there. I just believe that all the hype over NGE has removed the focus from Hideaki Anno's truly groundbreaking project - Top wo Nerae.

I think it's a shame that many of the fans of NGE I have spoken to thus far on MAL have either not seen Top wo Nerae, or believe it was released after NGE and is thus the inferior work. This is a shame for a work that many people believe to be solid, character driven Sci-Fi anime at it's best.
Mar 27, 2008 12:28 PM

Sep 2007
I'm not saying NGE was completely horrible - I respect a lot of where it was coming from. It reminds me of the FFVII rage and how there are people who think it's overrated and others who love it a lot. But it was the first FF to not be in 2-D format so of course it was going to cause a 'revolution.' I enjoyed NGE a lot as it was one of the first couple shows I'd seen. I just don't think it's as great as others do.

And Air, Washi said a lot of what I was going to say. I found it pretty bland too. I couldn't connect easily with a lot of the characters (the main one included) and I wasn't too fond of the animation either =/ I'd have to say that the only real thing I enjoyed while watching Air was Haruko and Misuzu's relationship. That one scene at the beach in the end is still engraved in my mind.
Mar 27, 2008 2:25 PM
Nov 2007
I will start out by saying I openly, fervently, detest Air. Tons of Air spoilers ahead.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

Golden Boy on the other hand , is the only fanservice focused anime to enter my top 100. It has a surprisingly atypical male lead (think the anti-Keitaro from Love Hina) who is a skilled, intelligent, well traveled, and openly perverted individual. It isn't deep but its a whole lot of fun.

*not so stealth edit*

Evangelion was good, but I liked it better when it was called Ideon. :p
RofelosMar 27, 2008 3:10 PM
Mar 27, 2008 3:37 PM
Aug 2007
Archeon:

I never contended your statement that Gunbuster was better than Evangelion at all. To be perfectly honest, I don’t even see why you’re so determined to compare them. Other than the fact that they’re both sort of mecha and both GAINAX, there’s little similarity between them. Gunbuster is an OVA, Evangelion is a television series. They have different tones and themes, and a completely different approach to the style with which they’re directed (Although they were both Anno).

Noriko isn’t an anti-hero. Shinji superseded the predictable and the cliché by simultaneously being the protagonist in the story and yet not achieving the expectations placed upon him, even in the end. In all of these kinds of story where you have a young boy placed in extraordinary circumstances, you’re in for a shounen coming-of-age story. I cannot think of any other anime with no distinct hero protagonist. To the very end, Shinji is not able to overcome his weaknesses and that makes him a unique stereotype defiance. His foil is essentially himself, and this kind of recursive introversion is what makes the series so fascinating. I wouldn’t say there was any dues ex machine in Evangelion at all. The mythological elements may have been an excuse for sloppy a plot, but there was no external ray of hope that came out of nowhere to force a happy ending. Did you even watch Evangelion at all? Evaneglion defies convention at the very core of its storytelling, more than simply adding an aesthetic effect like black & white. Because Evangelion is possibly the only series I’ve seen with a conclusion neither happy nor sad-but-bittersweet - it is a raw testament to the failings of the human psyche.

I’m not saying it’s better than Gunbuster. What I’m trying to say is that people are quick to hate it and pass it off as meaningless drivel, as if only because that’s the fashionable stance to have, when it deserves a certain amount of recognition. It’s not as if, excluding the last few episodes, it had bad production qualities either. Conversely, for a tv series at its time it was exceptionally well animated, and the music, for those that really care about music, is one of the more memorable score works to come out of anime.

Also I’m not talking about the anime industry outside of Japan at all.
Mar 27, 2008 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
I think you may have missed my meaning somewhere Washi. My comparison with Top wo Nerae is very valid, regardless of the fact that one is an OVA and the other a TV series, and until you actually watch the original (which I note that as yet you haven't), you probably don't see where my points are coming from. Noriko may not be the standard "anti" hero (or heroine in this case), but she is most definitely a tragic one for a good portion of the OVA.

I watched NGE when it was originally released in the UK, and once again a few years later in subtitled format (which I prefer). I'm not simply "jumping on the bandwagon" of popular hate, or arguing the point because it's fashionable to do so. My point is simply that I've compared NGE to quite a few other works from before the time it came out, and Top wo Nerae, for me, beats it in every sense.

In actuality, I think the roles are quite the reverse of what you say. NGE is continually force fed to anime viewers through re-runs and re-releases, and through various forms of peer pressure. I put it to you - the average person will, if told a certain "fact" by everyone, continue to believe it is true regardless of any evidence to the contrary. The "fact" in this case is that NGE is the greatest anime of all time (which is something I have had numerous messages about since joining MAL - all with no backup to this claim). Consider this possibility - if everyone around you is saying "NGE is amazing", "NGE is the best anime of all time", "NGE has the best characters and story", then isn't it at all possible that this may colour your perspective of the show when you view it? Isn't it possible that, because of all the force fed reviews, articles, peer pressure, re-runs, etc, that a person could lose some objectivity and fail to be completely critical about it?

I will also point out that if you're going to talk about anti-hero then there are some who came before - Golgo 13, Bean Bandit, Cobra - to name a few. If, however, you're referring to tragic heroes, who for one reason or another are unable to overcome their weaknesses, then may I suggest Hinomura Yo (Crying Freeman), who is kidnapped and forced into a world he didn't choose, and Fukamachi Sho (Original Guyver 12 episode series), who struggles to save those close to him, but ends up killing his own father (which is obviously traumatic to his character). I know the Guyver series continued (and was remade), but the comparison still stands. Ikari Shinji wasn't the first character who failed to overcome his weaknesses.

If you're talking about a tragic hero from a purely psychological aspect, then I would suggest that Mima Kirigoe (Perfect Blue) is a much better example of a person crumbling under extreme pressure than Ikari Shinji.

Being completely critical, I should mention that. at least for me, what spoiled the show were two things - the character of Ikari Shinji, and the mysticism aspect (which didn't fit the story in several ways - hence the sloppy plot).

In the first instance, Ikari Shinji's character flaws actually manage to overshadow the plot in many ways, and very little development throughout the series is given to any of the other characters in comparison to Shinji. In the second instance, my point about the use of deus ex machina is actually quite valid, as a common misconception of it's usage is that it can only lead to a good outcome (it's a plot device used in many greek tragedies for example). The mysticism aspect, together with Shinji's "overwhelming" personality, actually caused quite a few people to miss the point entiirely (including the creators). The irony is that this action of a person focusing on one thing and missing the main point is highlighted in the 4th episode of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei :)

Oh, and one final point. You mentioned that NGE "defies convention at the very core of it's storytelling". I will retort to this claim by pointing out that 1988 (when Top wo Nerae was released), was a time when sexism was still rife throughout the world. Almost all the heroes (action, anti, tragic, etc), of the time were men, especially in anime, where women and girls were mainly side characters. Into this time Hideaki Anno took a bold step, defying popular convention and anime stereotypes, by making his "hero" for Top wo Nerae, a Sci-Fi anime about protecting the earth from invasion by a superior alien enemy, a young girl. This wasn't simply a gimmick but a central part of the plot. Certain actions, thoughts, feelings, etc, could only come from a girl. If a boy was the main character then Top wo Nerae would have been a different show altogether.

Additionally, the usage of black and white in the final episode was also against popular convention, and if I remember rightly he had to fight Gainax to get it done in this way.

I should point out that I don't hate NGE at all. I'm a huge fan of Hideaki Anno's work (including NGE). My point is simply that too many people are force fed the need to like NGE. I'm not saying you can't like the show. I will reiterate that NGE is a fine example of animation, style, and music (which I agree were remarkable), and is thoroughly deserving of it's classic status. I'm actually looking forward to the remake as I am hopeful that it is an improvement onthe original.
Mar 27, 2008 9:46 PM

Feb 2008
Ouch better marked this open discussion as a heavy spoiler, as I never watched Evangelion (well at first I don't like mecha so much) and Top wo nerae, and guyver re-release series...

Currently downloading NGE, and search for TwN, and watching Guyver series ...

Once my friend said to me that don't ever called yourself an anime-lover if u didn't watch NGE, cause the series is one of the best, well after i read the opinions before me i think the comment from my friend was exaggerrated
Mar 28, 2008 5:25 AM
Aug 2007
Well I don't think I ever said that Evangelion was the very first series to ever have an anti-hero persona, or to defy convention. Drawing out little examples from your palette of anime knowledge about where things have been done before or better does not diminsh Evaneglion's unconventional triumphs, nor does it justify people completely ignoring these kinds of factors in dismissing the show as aggrandised drivel. Sure, your comparisons are valid, but they're also basically meaningless and superflous when you're disagreeing with someone who is simply trying to argue a case for Evangelion to not be mindlessly slanted.

Basically everything has been done before to some extent; if you liked you could trace back the thematic components of Evangelion or any anime into theatre hundreds and hundreds of years ago to try and deconstruct any claims of originality. Personally, I don't see the need to get into that kind of trivial perspective. When I'm talking about Evangelion I don't CARE that the last episode of Gunbuster was in black and white. It has no sensical bearing in our conversation. Evangelion did unconventional things, Gunbuster did unconventional things, that's absoloutely lovely but it's irrelevant to my initial point.

>>Isn't it possible that, because of all the force fed reviews, articles, peer pressure, re-runs, etc, that a person could lose some objectivity and fail to be completely critical about it?

Yes it's possible. But I find it very hard to find new anime fans who are at all receptive to Evangelion, and I usually consider this to be because they've latched onto this hardcore subcultural inclination to detest that which is widely acclaimed or hugely popular. I'd like to see this apparently widespread saturation campaign of Evangelion propaganda you alude to, because all I see is people running around saying it's "over-hyped rubbish" without even thinking about the reasons as to why it was so recognised. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.
Mar 28, 2008 6:50 AM

Sep 2007
I don't think Archaeon is trying to disparage NGE merely on the basis that it is borrowing themes from hundreds and hundreds of years ago as you yourself even say this is meaningless. But you seem to have argued that at least within the realm of anime, Eva blazed trails.

Washi said:
Back when I first saw it, the series left quite a big impact. Shinji is fun to detest, but he's a pinnacle example of the anti-hero mold breaking through cliche and conformity. When Evangelion was released it was something that hadn't been done before, something challenging and ambitious that, alongside a few other key titles like SE:Lain vitalised the anime industry for the late 90s and into 2000+.

This is where you mentioned that the anti-hero hadn't been used before, in case you have forgotten.

I do agree with you that there is an anti-NGE subculture out there. This is to be expected and is seen with many shows that gain mainstream promotion like Death Note, Naruto, etc. But these negative subcultures are overwhelmingly reactionary to what is believed to be overzealous hype around a particular show.

The pro-NGE campaign stems from the fact that most people have a special spot in their hearts for some of the first animes they watch since they haven't had the time or experience to develop a usable standard. For a large amount of people who began watching anime in the past decade, NGE was one of the first shows they saw. This sort of starts a positive feedback loop and gains Eva more popularity which then makes it even more likely first comers to the anime scene will happen upon it. An example of this would be my university library's anime selection. Very limited, but not only is Eva found there, the box set is actually on display on top of the shelf.
Mar 28, 2008 9:29 AM

Nov 2007
Hooray! BlackMagic has arrived!

Welcome to the dicussion my friend. Thanks for understanding that I'm not trying to knock the achievements of NGE, but rather the "positive feedback loop" as you so wonderfully put it.

Oh, and Washi. This wide spread saturation campaign is prominent, even here on MAL. Simply read the reviews of NGE and see for yourself. My review (and I will apologise for any insults made in the review right here and now), was the first MEDIOCRE review made for NGE (amazingly enough there were no bad or mediocre reviews prior to mine - a situation that isn't really a fair and accurate depiction of the show, wouldn't you say?). I'm still surprised, even now, that the so-called "hatemongers" that you refer to Washi, would not take the opportunity to give NGE a bad review here on MAL. What is even more surprising is that, given this apparent "hatred" of NGE, out of the 8 reviews written for the show here on MAL between Feb 2007 and Feb 2008, mine was the only one (written 7 months after the first review), that dared to criticise NGE. So during a 1 year period on MAL there was only one poor review of the show?!?! It makes me wonder how anyone can justify that it is "fashionable" to hate NGE when the evidence is clearly to the contrary. Since writing the review I've received numerous (think a couple every other day), messages pleading with me to change my review, or threatening to beat me up (I kid you not). I've yet to hear that someone who disliked NGE has acted in this fashion...

I never wrote a bad review for NGE. That came months afterwards. Even now I find it appaliing that I am still receiving messages about changing my review. I find it apalling that you're not supposed to criticise NGE in any way, shape, or form because your going against popular belief, and the simple fact that someone does can make them an outcast - I've talked to at least two people here on MAL who were dumped by their so-called "friends", simply because they didn't like NGE. I would call that a "hardcore subcultural inclination" - wouldn't you?

One final point I feel I should make to you Washi. I agree that borrowing themes from hundreds of years ago is meaningless (I take it you're referring to my example of deus ex amchina), however writing off all comparisons with any other show is a mistake I feel, especially if that show was also created by the same person. NGE is not a stand alone event in anime history, which is why I feel that comparisons need to be drawn between it and Top wo Nerae as they are both similar in many respects. The fact that they are both works by Hideaki Anno, both Sci-Fi, both involve mechas, both invole protecting the world, both involve a young teenager who undergoes rigourous training, both have the main character feeling alone/abandoned/without hope - at some point, and that one came 7 years before the other, are definite grounds I feel, for a comparison to be made.

Oh, and av03

I would recommend watching NGE as it is an anime that everyone should watch at least once. I just think you should watch it on your own terms (i.e. because you decided to watch it, and not because people kept telling you to), and keep an open mind whilst doing so. Don't automatically decide that you should love it just because everyone is telling you that you should.

ArchaeonMar 28, 2008 10:39 AM
Mar 28, 2008 11:00 AM

Sep 2007
@av03

If your friend said that to be an anime-lover, not only must you see NGE but love it, then I would say he crossed the line lol.

But I will agree that there are certain anime that are considered part of an anime-lover's common knowledge. Even if person A mostly watches disturbing gory violent shows and person B watches mostly slice of life romantic comedies, odds are they still have a few shows in common. NGE is, more often than not, one of those shows. Among anime watchers, there is an expectation that you have seen a decent number of mainstream anime series.

By mainstream, I mean anime series that not only were one of the chosen few to cross to the American market, but have been popularly received. Opinions of it aside, the fact of the matter is that NGE is so mainstream that most people have seen at least a part of it. A similar comparison would be Naruto. Even if you dislike the series, odds are you have at least seen a few episodes of it.

Mar 28, 2008 2:12 PM

Oct 2007
kasumisama said:
Air...isn't a harem series..

really? I always thought it was since it was based of a Hentai dating game/visual novel. Goes to show how much i know about harem shows :P

as for NGE I didn't care for it but I think it's the kind of show that is worth watching. It is pretty interesting and some people really really like it. If the characters were more likeable I might have enjoyed it more.
Mar 28, 2008 3:11 PM

Feb 2008
BlackMagic said:
@av03

If your friend said that to be an anime-lover, not only must you see NGE but love it, then I would say he crossed the line lol.

But I will agree that there are certain anime that are considered part of an anime-lover's common knowledge. Even if person A mostly watches disturbing gory violent shows and person B watches mostly slice of life romantic comedies, odds are they still have a few shows in common. NGE is, more often than not, one of those shows. Among anime watchers, there is an expectation that you have seen a decent number of mainstream anime series.

By mainstream, I mean anime series that not only were one of the chosen few to cross to the American market, but have been popularly received. Opinions of it aside, the fact of the matter is that NGE is so mainstream that most people have seen at least a part of it. A similar comparison would be Naruto. Even if you dislike the series, odds are you have at least seen a few episodes of it.

Yeah kinda understand that. Well I missed NGE cos I recently like mecha show, since i've watched rahxephon and eureka 7, and i really became very excited to show mecha genre (well before i prefer fantasy, action and comedy genre). At eureka 7, i really suprised how deep emotion and the plot really interesting to follow.

Nope i never watched the show just cause someone say so, but i don't deny that sometimes I look at the rating of the titles in the rating system site like MAL or anidb.info and the reviews for consideration.
Mar 28, 2008 4:59 PM

Sep 2007
It is pretty hard to catch up with things once you fall behind. I've been on a dark anime kick for awhile and neglected most other areas. Now I've got a Plan to Watch list longer than a crack addict's arrest record ^_^
Mar 28, 2008 5:23 PM

Jan 2008

But seriously I love the level of conversation and debate that is going on here guys, I makes me so proud of the club ^_^.

Mar 28, 2008 5:51 PM

Nov 2007
That's why we joined 8Gauge :)
Mar 28, 2008 6:12 PM

Jan 2008
Archaeon said:
That's why we joined 8Gauge :)

Word.
Mar 28, 2008 6:29 PM

Sep 2007
Yeah it's good, but for me it's a lot of tl;dr on stuff that I don't really have an opinion on. Still, nice to see.

I'm surprised at the amount of nominations and recognition that a series like One Piece gets. I've seen some of the anime, and absolutely did not like it. I have more than a few fairly intelligent friends who believe One Piece is a genuinely great ani-manga series. If there are any fans here, could someone perhaps explain the overall appeal of the series?
Mar 28, 2008 6:42 PM

Sep 2007
Seishi said:
If there are any fans here, could someone perhaps explain the overall appeal of the series?

I'm just generally not a big fan of shows that have 200+ episodes. Makes me wonder about the quality of each episode =/ But though I probably won't ever be picking up One Piece, I'm still curious to see what the appeal is :)
Mar 28, 2008 6:51 PM

Sep 2007
I've seen the first 200 or so episodes of the anime...haven't read any of the manga. At first the animation style kinda turned me off, but the plot made up for it enough to keep me interested. I just kinda stuck with it and found it enjoyable since I was in the mood for it at the time. I was kind of in the mood for a pirate storyline and there wasn't anything else out there.

For those who dislike shounen styles, I regret to inform you that One Piece suffers from "will not kill a main character" syndrome which is one of my pet peeves. I don't think I can really come up with anything to really recommend from it lol. I only watched it since I was in the mood and then since I had watched so much I kept going out of habit until I made it up to the most current fansubbed episode. I haven't watched it since, but I imagine I'll get in the mood to continue it sooner or later.

While I can't really say anything spectacularly awesome about it, there aren't really that many bad things I saw either other than the typical shounen disorders. A plus though is that all episodes maintained a set quality standard. I always hate when a long series tries to save money by subcontracting an episode or 10 out to some Taiwanese company to slop it all up.
Mar 28, 2008 7:15 PM

Jan 2008
I don't think I'll ever be a fan of One Piece's anime adaptation, however the Manga is definitely a good read. I don't know how it can repeat the same formulaic plot over and over and still manages to always come off fresh and entertaining but it does. Also almost every single character is both unique and likable. Heck even the bad guys, who do some deplorable thing, are likable (well as much as one can like a villian).

It's coming close to 500 chapters in length and still has so much more to go, but I don't think I'll ever regret picking up this monster of a manga series. But then again I do read Hajime no Ippo and that over 800 chapters now, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.
8GaugeBrettMar 28, 2008 9:10 PM

Mar 28, 2008 7:20 PM

Jan 2008
8GaugeBrett said:
still manga to

Lol, Freudian slip, eh?
Mar 28, 2008 7:25 PM

Sep 2007
Hajime no Ippo is one of my favorite animes. If the manga keeps going (and it sounds like it does) then I'm going to have to start reading it :P

//omg baka-updates says the anime ended at about the volume 31 mark...and that there are currently 80+ volumes out!!! Maybe I'll be caught up by next year ^_^
BlackMagicMar 28, 2008 7:28 PM
Mar 28, 2008 7:28 PM

Jan 2008
Hajime no Ippo (movie/ova included) finish off around chapter 300 if I'm not mistaken. So you've got a LOT to catch up on if you decide to read the manga.

Mar 28, 2008 7:57 PM

Sep 2007
Now that I'm starting to read more manga I think I'm obligated to read it. Not only because the anime is one of my all time favorites, but I also need to establish some standards early. Since the only mangas I read previously were Berserk, Gantz, and Koroshiya 1, I was shocked when I saw how terrible the artwork was in parts of Hunter x Hunter. I had just gone on all this time thinking I should hold all mangaka to Miura's standards. I guess I can be somewhat more forgiving of Miura's erratic schedule lol.
Mar 28, 2008 8:08 PM

Jan 2008
Beginning with the eclipse chapters and everything that comes after them I decided to put Miura into his own catogory. There is simply nothing I've ever scene that can hope to touch his level of artwork in post eclipse Berserk, NOTHING.

An honorable mention goes to Vagabond though for at least getting onto the same ballpark.

Mar 28, 2008 9:11 PM

Jan 2008
maxcherry715 said:
8GaugeBrett said:
still manga to

Lol, Freudian slip, eh?

fixed ;)

Mar 28, 2008 9:25 PM

Sep 2007
Ironically enough, it gets spotlighted this week. Thanks for the insight. I might give the manga a few volumes.
Mar 28, 2008 9:28 PM

Jan 2008
Seishi said:
Ironically enough, it gets spotlighted this week. Thanks for the insight. I might give the manga a few volumes.

Yes, that is quite the coincidence.
Mar 29, 2008 12:53 AM

Jan 2008
to be honest I close the nomination threads at 10, so by about 10:15 i know all of the spotlights. It had already been chosen before the conversation about it here ever began lol. It is purely coincidental, and not like one of Sousuke's "Just a Coincidence".

Mar 29, 2008 7:23 AM

Feb 2008
Sometimes a manga title I read, I'll never bother to search for its animation. Really I found annoying when the anime ended and being modified from the manga, well it's like there's 2 dimension of the titles that have their own realm, and to me it's unacceptable, like Flame of Recca or Samurai Deeper Kyo, including Naruto with their fillers. Or sometimes it finished so soon like Hajime no Ippo, or BECK.

Does anyone else find this annoying too?or just me here?

And I think really hard to tell the difference between obscure and popular titles, personally for Haruhi this week ... I think I'll delete my comment on the comment board
Mar 29, 2008 1:28 PM

Jan 2008
Well I've never read Samurai Deeper Kyo, but i probably should since I really didn't care much for the anime and you say it's totally different.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Naruto I think the anime adaptation does a decent job, they were at least kind enough to make the fillers into a block section so when I decided to watch the anime I just stopped around episode 120 something and went strait to Shippouden.

Now Shippouden is a complete disappointment because they take one chapter of manga and stretch it out into 1 whole episode of anime. The constant flashbacks to stuff you just watched 5 minutes ago and the never ending tree jumping scenes are annoying as all holy hell.

But if we just want to focus on the Naruto manga for a minute I'm rather pissed with it as well. Naruto spends two years with Jiraiya and comes back with new clothes... thats it. He later develops a "new" Jutsu which just combines wind elemental chakra with his old Rasengen, but overall its still pretty much useless since he can't ever hit anyone with the damn thing.

To be honest the only one who has done much "growing" at all has been Sasuke and he just killed Itachi in one of the most pitiful fights ever (huge let down). This leads me to believe that maybe they shouldn't have called the manga "Naruto" and just called it "Sasuke" because we all know he is the real main character.

-----------------------------------------------

Hajime no Ippo was 72 episodes long and not a short anime series by any means. It remains faithful to the manga all the way through and is easily left open for a second season sometime in the future. I personally don't see a reason why they should have forced a continuation which ultimately would have landed us in the land of fillers, they did the right thing to end it when they did.

Mar 29, 2008 3:41 PM

Aug 2007
8GaugeBrett said:

As for Naruto I think the anime adaptation does a decent job, they were at least kind enough to make the fillers into a block section so when I decided to watch the anime I just stopped around episode 120 something and went strait to Shippouden.

Now Shippouden is a complete disappointment because they take one chapter of manga and stretch it out into 1 whole episode of anime. The constant flashbacks to stuff you just watched 5 minutes ago and the never ending tree jumping scenes are annoying as all holy hell.

But if we just want to focus on the Naruto manga for a minute I'm rather pissed with it as well. Naruto spends two years with Jiraiya and comes back with new clothes... thats it. He later develops a "new" Jutsu which just combines wind elemental chakra with his old Rasengen, but overall its still pretty much useless since he can't ever hit anyone with the damn thing.

To be honest the only one who has done much "growing" at all has been Sasuke and he just killed Itachi in one of the most pitiful fights ever (huge let down). This leads me to believe that maybe they shouldn't have called the manga "Naruto" and just called it "Sasuke" because we all know he is the real main character.

Which is exactly why One Piece is better than Naruto.

I just had to say it since OP keeps getting compared to crappy Naruto.
Mar 29, 2008 4:53 PM

Feb 2008
I know one piece first from the anime cause it's aired in TV in here (which rarely an obscure title get chance aired here) and then found out OP manga...and except for the weird characters it's a great story and sometimes heartwarming, and their great jokes. Oh and one of good example aniime based on manga that acceptable to me.

Well, I rate low on shippuuden cause the same reason, the animation good, and they have a great fight scene with a big BUT it's pretty annoying with the stretching like staring each other too long and camera angle played, at first maybe looked great but when it repeated again and again i went wtf with this series...yet still download it cause my friend hooked on naruto.

Anyone watched Bleach?I only read the manga...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.