Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Nov 25, 2010 1:54 AM

Apr 2010
One of those animes you just can't stop watching.
I must say it was one of the best animes I've seen recently. I'm watching season 2 for sure and hope it will be even better.
9/10
Jan 5, 2011 12:16 PM

Sep 2010
Loved it 10/10, can't wait to start season2
Jan 22, 2011 6:34 PM

May 2010
I marathoned the dub in one day and this was pretty good. I'm probably gonna wait to watch season 2 though.
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Feb 19, 2011 2:33 AM

Oct 2010
Way surpassed my expectations
Hoping to see MUCH more Noea and Chole in season 2!
9/10!
Feb 21, 2011 11:05 AM
Nov 2009
The last part made me giggle [: Gladly, there is a season 2 ^^
The opening and ending seem to have grewed on me even though I finished this series in less than a day. Definitely a good ending. Like the part when he was gonna shout Horo's name when the bell ringed xD Hope Nora will be in season 2<333 9/10 for this!
Feb 21, 2011 10:31 PM

Oct 2010
I gotta give it a 10. Great characters, great intelligent dialogue, great setting, and I really liked the detail given to trade and economics. This will go on my favorites 5 anime list.

I heard that the dub of season 2 is supposed to be out sometime in the Spring. Since I watched season 1 dubbed and really liked the voice acting, I guess I should wait for the dub of season 2.
Apr 3, 2011 1:45 AM

Sep 2010
Really good overall. I liked how this was ended.
Apr 23, 2011 11:19 AM
Jul 2010
I loved the ending. And this anime had the best character interactions I've ever seen coupled with an original setting and engaging story. I enjoyed every second I spent watching this. I so which MAL's rating system had decimals... Can't decide between a 9/10 and a 10/10.
May 11, 2011 8:43 AM

Dec 2009
Nice.Overall:7/10

May 17, 2011 7:33 AM

Feb 2011
How cute of holo, she's expecting a confession. :D

OP 4 + Holo 4 =

8/10
May 22, 2011 12:29 AM

Dec 2008
I hated this ending, simply because it was too quick. I just watched all of Spice and Wolf on netflix dubbed, and the VA quality was actually really good.

Loved it, want more. It was way to short for me! I literally just spent 5 or some odd hours watching it straight through, so i guess i'm just sad its over so soon. :(

I know there is a season 2, which i plan to watch soon. Too bad its not in english yet. It feels wrong to pick up an anime in a certain language and then change it after you get used to it...

Well, my 2cents.
May 22, 2011 11:14 AM

Oct 2010
Akura said:
I know there is a season 2, which i plan to watch soon. Too bad its not in english yet. It feels wrong to pick up an anime in a certain language and then change it after you get used to it...

Last I heard, Funimation was supposed to released an English dub of season 2 in spring of 2011, but I don't see anything yet... I don't think there's an official date, so it may just be speculation.

I'm going to wait for the dub even though I really want to watch season 2.
Jun 7, 2011 11:05 AM
Oct 2007
I stopped watching at episode 8 due to exams back then but pick this show up yesterday.

I recalled and enjoy the unique story plot in this short amount of time. <3 Horo!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2011 10:01 AM
Jan 2010
Well, it took me over a year to finish this show, but now I finally have. On to the second season.
Jul 8, 2011 7:50 PM

Jan 2011
Great ending featuring their relationship. :)
Jul 18, 2011 4:13 PM
Jul 2011
I.
Love.
This.
Show.

The ending to the first season was done very well. I can't wait to see what sort of drama will get stirred up in the second season.

On to S2 E1 for me ;)
Aug 3, 2011 4:38 PM

May 2011
I feel warm inside now.

winfragment said:

I.
Love.
This.
Show.

That's my line, too.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Sep 27, 2011 11:49 PM
Apr 2011
Cant wait to see second season=) luv Horo!!!
Sep 28, 2011 5:12 PM
Jul 2009
Good series, but the end went pretty quickly. ^^ Luckily there is a second season. =)
Oct 30, 2011 1:20 PM

Feb 2009
The ending was pretty satisfying taking into account it clearly leaves itself open for the next season. It's more an arc ending.

Honestly, very enjoyable and surprising anime. For a romance, it's very witty and the story is incredibly engaging. It has this fantasy and adventurous feeling, but it never distracts from the plot and great dialogues.
Nov 7, 2011 4:04 AM

Jun 2011
"Because.. Because.. your name is shorter.." LOL
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 23, 2011 2:28 AM

Dec 2010
I felt little disappointed that there wasn't fight between Holo and the youngster deity. This episode actually didn't feel much of an ending at all - it's so open, that I just can't believe it. It's like the next season will feel like it isn't next season, but just the another 13 series that we're missing. I liked very much how Lawrence screamed the name while the bell where tolling - he definitely annoyed Holo. I'm looking forward to the next season, I'll probably watch it at some point after Christmas, for now I'll concentrate on other animes.

1. Characters. +1 I'm totally in love with the characters in this anime. They're made with such in-depth detail, that honestly this story felt way more real than lets say a slice of life anime. Lawrence's character is one of my favorites ever - I've always knew there is someone like him in some story, but I never expected to see him in Spice and Wolf. Holo is great too, she was the other reason the story was actually interesting. It's like you don't witness such a characters in every anime and I dare to say that they rarely exist in animes at all.
2. Atmosphere. +1 The atmosphere was 100% well done. Once again, it's an atmosphere you rarely can feel at all - at all the time I was watching I didn't feel like it was anime, but more like - this world was around me.
3. OST. +1 The OST is perfectly fine and the OP(if I'm not wrong, 'cause I have it separate from the actual piece of anime) which served as the last ep's ED is already one of my most favorite ED's and song ever.
4. Animation. +1 The animation was OK. At times maybe the characters' looked too polished but it was fine enough. Nonetheless the environment and everything else was 101% well made.
5. Background story. +1 The only actual background was Holo's story of how she became lost and lonely - not much at all, but actually this is what makes this story so good.
6. Storyline. +1 It wasn't that much of a storyline, but all the merchant deals served fine as a story to me. I guess that the real piece of storyline will come up into the next season(too good there'll be one).
7. Ending. +1 Everything is fine when it ends fine, I guess. I give it point here, because of the existence of second season - before I know there is one, I thought that they will make up some half assed ending just because there are only 13 episodes, but now the open ending is perfectly fine with me - I didn't want the story to end this early anyway.
8. Fight scenes. lolz
9. Drama. Not real drama in this season, I can even say that what the story was kind of way too lighthearted, which is fine with me - such a story feels very well once in a while, amongst all the drama which is witnessed in many animes. Still, not real drama in here(I guess there will be some in Season 2).
10. Overall feeling. I wont give a point here, for a reason. It's probably because I had expectations different than what this anime actually turned to be. It's not that I didn't like it, but I guess that my wrong expectations didn't let go of me until the very end. I guess that if I knew there is second season from the start, I'd feel different about it, but most of the time I was feeling like there is something that is supposed to happen but it never happened through this season. I felt like something is missing most of the time, and I hope I'll witness it in Season 2.
Bonus(extra) point for:... +1 This anime is definitely deserving point for it's uniqueness. It's the first show of this kind for me and I definitely liked the magical feeling I got about it. Spice and Wolf is different than anything I've seen before, and I can say for sure, that I actually liked it, although I had expectations for something different.

Overall score: 8/10.
Nov 23, 2011 2:30 PM

Dec 2009
Didn't think i'd enjoy this anime so much, i'm so in love with Holo right now. 10/10 from me. .

I'm just confused about something, what Lawrence did with the gold? Did he give all of it for Nora or what?
Nov 23, 2011 3:17 PM
Aug 2009
Liinah said:
What did Lawrence do with the gold?

He left it with Nora, to finish smuggling it.

He and Holo then ran to Remerio and strong-armed him into writing an IOU for 500 Lumione (to be paid over the next 10 years). He made Remerio sign the IOU not to himself, but to the Rowen trading guild. But it was surprisingly fair to Remerio, to keep him quiet and thankful for the chance to reestablish his business.

Then Lawrence sold the IOU to his guild for 30 Lumione, with the promise of another 100 Lumione once Nora had smuggled the gold successfully.

In the novels, they say that from the first 30 gold, Lawrence gave 20 right back as compensation for putting his guild through all that trouble. He planned to use the other 10 to bribe the butchers during the smuggling.

Of course, once the next 100 gold came in, Lawrence would still have to repay the rest of his debts and smooth over the relationships he destroyed begging for money.
Nov 23, 2011 3:53 PM

Dec 2009
BashZeStampeedo said:
Liinah said:
What did Lawrence do with the gold?

He left it with Nora, to finish smuggling it.

He and Holo then ran to Remerio and strong-armed him into writing an IOU for 500 Lumione (to be paid over the next 10 years). He made Remerio sign the IOU not to himself, but to the Rowen trading guild. But it was surprisingly fair to Remerio, to keep him quiet and thankful for the chance to reestablish his business.

Then Lawrence sold the IOU to his guild for 30 Lumione, with the promise of another 100 Lumione once Nora had smuggled the gold successfully.

In the novels, they say that from the first 30 gold, Lawrence gave 20 right back as compensation for putting his guild through all that trouble. He planned to use the other 10 to bribe the butchers during the smuggling.

Of course, once the next 100 gold came in, Lawrence would still have to repay the rest of his debts and smooth over the relationships he destroyed begging for money.

That was a fast reply, thank you so much. ^o^
Dec 20, 2011 5:01 AM

Jan 2011
Started great, went kinda downhill with all the merchant crap that they pulled. Seriously, thats was too much and it made ZERO sense most of the time. Gave it 9/10 anyway.
Dec 28, 2011 7:56 AM

Aug 2009
nice wrapping up. im still too dumb to understand the logics behind the whole smuggle and trade thing. need next season and have them reach North... but on the other hand it would be sad to see them part... or not if they chose to live together then... so many possibilities :D

9/10, 10/10 if they make a 2nd season
ps. yeah I know an ova is out but thats not enough :D
Dec 28, 2011 12:05 PM

Oct 2010
sirhcnil said:
9/10, 10/10 if they make a 2nd season
ps. yeah I know an ova is out but thats not enough :D

So 10/10 then? Because there is a 2nd season already out, haha. The OVA is just episode 0 of it.
Jan 24, 2012 11:12 AM

Apr 2009
Lawrence sure got better at handling Holo since the beginning.

Very nice, atmospheric setting with fitting soundtrack and compelling characters. I especially loved Holo and Lawrence's conversations. However, the series didn't bring up the issues of the different nature of Horo and Lawrence that much yet and there wasn't much psychological or moral depth. Also the business and economics aspect wasn't very ambitious or advanced and some characters acted a bit weird at times. Particularly the gold smuggling story had a lot of wasted potential. But all in all it was a very good anime, 8/10.
Feb 5, 2012 3:31 PM

Aug 2010
Good show. Tabi no Tochuu at the end was perfect.

8/10
Feb 22, 2012 2:15 PM

Sep 2011
What an interesting anime this was. The concept was really unique and never would have guessed that I would ever care about currency and trading. You would think it would be boring but even those long explanations were kind of interesting to hear.
The characters were of course also unique, Holo is a really adorable character and I'm already considering puting her between my favorites. She is just way too awesome and sexy :D I always had a thing for cat-girls, or in this case wolf-girls (not furries though, don't get me wrong).
Lawrance was also likeable and they made a nice couple together. I didn't care about the minor characters much though. I hated Chloe. Nora on the other hand was pretty cute.
The romance was heart-warming, but I have yet to see a kiss between them, hopefully it will happen in the next season.

My final verdict will be a 9/10. The reason for not giving it a perfect score is that the business-talk was a bit too much at times and I often found myself longing for more HoroxLawrance scenes instead of those. The drama scenes were also a bit too predictable. But aside from those things it's still a wonderful anime and I really think it deserves the place where it stands in my list.

Well, that's it. I'm off now to start the next season :)
Feb 29, 2012 7:59 PM

Sep 2011
Man that was pretty dam good. Makes me want to go into business. :) 7/10
Mar 2, 2012 12:21 AM

May 2011
Completed again for the 8th time... and counting!

It seriously gets better every single time I rewatch it. OVA is next! Season 2 will follow! Then the novels! Then I'll start all over again!
Mar 24, 2012 12:14 PM
Jul 2010
-Shuda- said:

It seriously gets better every single time I rewatch it. OVA is next! Season 2 will follow! Then the novels! Then I'll start all over again!

You are more dedicated than I, haha. Rewatching is blessed though, S&W never gets old.
Apr 4, 2012 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
Watched this on Funimation awhile ago. Loved it ^_^
Apr 6, 2012 9:19 PM

Feb 2012
Haha, Lawrence had more physical contact this episode with the head of the trade union than with Holo. Well, they're still flirting, so that's what season 2 is for...

I absolutely loved S&W, and definitely plan on reading the light novels now -- I feel like the anime just scratched the surface of the story's economics, which I enjoyed almost as much as the relationship between Lawrence and Holo.

-Shuda- said:

A tip of the hat, good sir.
Apr 8, 2012 11:31 AM

Dec 2011
Loved this anime.
Horo is simply awesome.
The ending was not great but it is ok.
8/10.
Jun 1, 2012 8:36 PM

Aug 2009
RazielZero said:
What an interesting anime this was. The concept was really unique and never would have guessed that I would ever care about currency and trading. You would think it would be boring but even those long explanations were kind of interesting to hear.
My sentiments exactly. I was actually quite intrigued by the whole trade thing.
Jul 13, 2012 11:34 AM
Dec 2011
It was boring in some parts and really didn't catch my attention (found the talking about currency pretty interesting so that's not the reason). Good characters and history behind it tough. 7/10 would watch next season.
Jul 22, 2012 12:30 PM

Jun 2012
Ehhh it was alright, i had high expectations by seeing the high score it has and by how much people seem to love it but i was a bit disappointed, still it was very enjoyable to watch even though it got boring a few times. Would have been a 7/10 but my love for holo bumps it up to a 8/10.
Sep 2, 2012 4:21 PM

Apr 2012
In terms of the "character development/interactions" department, the degree of praise with which I assuredly express for the Spice and Wolf franchise is, in juxtaposition with most, if not all, anime, second to none - at least, in reference to the aggregation of shows which I have previously observed and scrutinized. There does, however, exist titles the likes of Clannad: After Story and Steins;Gate in which I hold an equal extent of regard for, solely in terms of aforesaid "department" - mostly because of said shows, either diminutive or prodigious in caliber, actually yielding and practicing the ability to procure and exhibit that which embodies a constituent element belonging to the very foundation of an anime show, if not, let's say, entertainment itself, that allowed me to react in the previously mentioned, impressed manner (this "element" having the aptitude to be capable of encompassing the confines of deterrence, such as the generic mannerism associated and strikingly evident in the execution of your average, typical story plot). But the unique style and approach implemented in Spice and Wolf, compared to these other television series, is, relatively speaking, in another respective world of its own - and, of course, in my opinion, the same holds true for these others.

For me, Spice and Wolf is deserving of a 8 out of 10.
RakutomiSep 8, 2012 10:36 PM

Sep 28, 2012 5:18 AM

May 2012
Great ending with a nice plot the episodes where quite nice with a nice story line in them compact and good development rate!

Great first season of this Anime 9/10
Dec 19, 2012 1:27 PM

Dec 2010
A great anime! So glad I started watching this. Just picked it up and couldn't put it down. Who would have thought merchants and trading could be so damn interesting!

Right now I'm giving it a 9/10 on my scale. But may come back to amend after finishing the entire series. As it is, there is nothing but enjoyment from this show.
Dec 26, 2012 9:09 AM

Sep 2012
This anime was better than I expected. I liked the economics of the trading and merchants as well as the sub-romance development.

Good show overall.
Dec 28, 2012 1:05 PM

Jun 2012
good ending..a very good anime
Jan 11, 2013 4:45 AM
Nov 2012
love the series 10/10 it had an interesting plot and characters. the merchant talk sometimes confused me but i was still awesome. and now im in love with Holo, such an awesome character
Jan 21, 2013 2:12 PM

Dec 2012
That guy screaming after getting trampled by sheep, so ridiculous
Feb 8, 2013 2:07 PM

Feb 2011
Great series , kept me entertained till the end . 9/10
Feb 28, 2013 10:34 PM

Jul 2011
Well it was pretty slow at the beginning of the series, but it picked up after episode 3.

The ending was acceptable, and the fact that there is a 2nd season is better.

However what I want to know, is who was that other non ordinary wolf.

Here I thought Horo was the only god, no ordinary wolf, but if there are others, will the show/series explain as to why that is??
And will we meet such wolf/wolfmen??
I would like that very much.
Maybe, that will lead to a not so much love, but yes so much triangle, or quadrangle, with nora around.

Although I don't see them ending as a couple. Mostly because he is an ordinary human and horo is a wolf god.
In which I would prefer her to end up with the wolfman that may appear.

ok ok, i am getting ahead of myself, I guess i'll have to see next.
Apr 9, 2013 5:05 AM
Aug 2011
There was no ending, it would be better with an ending.

8/10.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

146 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 17, 10:00 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

31 by Chronoes »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 6, 2008

154 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 9, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

153 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 18, 2008

133 by patkarunungan »»
Mar 30, 9:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.