Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2008 8:38 AM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was really boring. Until the end there.

May 26, 2008 1:15 PM

Jan 2008

Yeah, building characters, conflicts, and plotlines and establishing the world the story is set in is really boring. I wish shows just consisted of people hitting each other all the time with ocassional grunts here and there.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 23, 2008 2:25 PM

May 2008
You can build up a story without it being boring.
Yes, it did take a much better turn there at the end.
If the whole show was like it was there at the very beginning, it would be very boring.

Hopefully most of the rest of the show will be more like the last of this episode than the first.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 24, 2008 5:16 PM

Aug 2008
Total insane! I liked very! Excellent to have a leisure in the afternoon end! See until the end!
Nov 28, 2008 9:14 PM

Jan 2008
Cihan said:

Yeah, building characters, conflicts, and plotlines and establishing the world the story is set in is really boring. I wish shows just consisted of people hitting each other all the time with ocassional grunts here and there.

QFT

I liked it lots - Please bore me some more - matter of fact - I think I'll bore through Epi 2 right now. Cool charecters. Cooler kansai-ben. Majic shopping arcades built thurough the harmony of 4 gods. Umm, let's see... Yep, I like it!
datsunvicNov 28, 2008 9:22 PM
Feb 10, 2009 8:22 AM

Aug 2008
Boring? WTF? Kids these day huh. Attention span of a peanut. Great first episode, really looking forward to rest.
Feb 18, 2009 9:23 PM

Sep 2007
Huh. Seems kind of typical, and I was expecting something along the lines of FLCL's insanity. Some secret about a perfectly ordinary place leads to unexpected and fantastic adventures. Kind of like... Narnia, or Yankee in King Arthur's Court, or the recent movie the Forbidden Kingdom, etc. It wasn't bad, but the idea has been used so often that's it's going to have to work pretty hard to distinguish itself.
Feb 18, 2009 9:28 PM

Jan 2008
naikou said:
Huh. Seems kind of typical, and I was expecting something along the lines of FLCL's insanity.

This anime makes FLCL look coherent, trust me. This first episode is completely unlike all the rest, very deceiving indeed.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 18, 2009 9:37 PM

Sep 2007
That's excellent news. On to the next episode, then!
Feb 18, 2009 9:39 PM

Jan 2008
naikou said:
That's excellent news. On to the next episode, then!

Its really random stuff, some of it very very funny and "OMG did they just do that?" and some of it is a bit tiresome.

To be honest, I hated how the series ends, but you can read about that in the last episode thread.
Oct 30, 2009 10:14 AM

Jul 2009
Boy, Soshi really knows his mushrooms XD
But seriously guys, everyone keeps saying how boring it was, they needed time to introduce the characters and get a storyline in so it's not just meaningless crap.
This is not a signature
I promise
Nov 29, 2009 2:02 PM

Apr 2009
Well no matter what some say about building character, establishing the story's world and whatever else this episode was still mostly boring... I'm all for building a deep story but it can, and has, been done in more interesting ways.
Hope it improves.
Nov 3, 2010 1:21 PM

Feb 2009
Well dunno,this episode was interesting enough for me.Maybe it's just me who doesn't have good taste...doesn't realy matter.
kiiratanaka said:

Yeah,that was awesome,lol.
Also Arumi was supah cute ^_^

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 19, 2010 12:25 AM

Oct 2009
HTF was this boring? -_-
I enjoyed this ep quit a bit! Liking it so far.^^;;
Aug 23, 2011 1:09 AM

Apr 2009
DeathReaper said:
HTF was this boring? -_-
I enjoyed this ep quit a bit! Liking it so far.^^;;

I wasn't bored with it as well, even though it was slow it was still interesting for me the entire time. I was being an idiot because I didn't check who produced this series first but two minutes into the episode, I felt like I'm somehow watching FLCL. XD

kiiratanaka said:

That's when I started laughing my ass off for no reason. It was a lot of different mushrooms too!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 9, 2012 7:55 PM

Oct 2010
seemed ok, reminded me a lot of FLCL, i think it was the Gainix spin on things in terms of animation and art
Feb 26, 2013 7:17 AM

Apr 2012
"Dimwit, ran out of your fancy french words?"
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Apr 12, 2013 5:36 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, I didn't even find it boring.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 12, 2013 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
Like the opening.
Jul 5, 2013 12:41 PM

May 2012
An interesting start with rather slow pace in the beginning but it really gets interesting in the end! Lets see what the story has to offer!
Mar 5, 2014 11:44 PM
Jun 2013
boring? Episode was just fine for a start.
Mar 16, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2013
I really like the Kansai accent so that's definitely a plus for this series. Interesting how it started off with onmyou stuff then ended with a western castle haha.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 16, 2014 11:42 PM

Feb 2008
I love how she thought it was a love hotel. I wonder what kind of upbringing she's had that that was her first thought ? ;)
Sep 5, 2014 5:59 PM
Mar 2013
Interesting...Interesting.

Welp... hope the story does not go downhill from here.
May 19, 2015 10:49 AM

Jul 2014
What the hell's with those kids' voices? The fact that they sound like country kids is really odd and quite jarring, especially as it doesn't fit their characters at all.
Jul 29, 2015 3:42 AM
Dec 2011
i love it... sashshi is soooooo... adorable .. i love him arumi is so funny i love them both cant wait to see what happen next :3
Jan 23, 2016 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
How educational!
Jul 22, 2016 11:15 PM

Jul 2014
The first episode was for exposition people. It was interesting how they tried to introduce the characters to us. Most new Anime seem to bore the hell out of me when they do it.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Mar 18, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2016
The character interactions were nice. I liked the episode.
Jun 28, 2019 11:20 AM
Jan 2017
This started off slow and God those country accents were almost painful to listen to but now I am curious what will happen next ^^
Oct 20, 2019 8:35 PM
Oct 2012
nidoqueen106 said:
This started off slow and God those country accents were almost painful to listen to but now I am curious what will happen next ^^

I loved the accent! It had been a long time since I had watched a show with this tasty accent. And man, this anime is super cool. I want to see the craziness until the last episode. I love nonsense stuff kkkkkk.

Mar 20, 2020 11:36 PM
Apr 2018
Enjoyed the Conversation (quarrel) between ARUMI's father and grandfather.
Also enjoyed the conversation between "ARUMI" & "SASSHI".

The main characters "ARUMI" & "SASSHI" and the side characters are very adorable.
Doutei-kunMar 21, 2020 4:00 AM
Mar 30, 2020 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed the episode.. it has so much range.. love the animation..

Love the accent..! it's so cute, reminded me of Kero's accent from Cardcaptors :)
Apr 11, 2020 11:24 AM
Dec 2019
It wasn't boring for me because the characters and dialogue were so well written and believable. It's one of the few instances where kids behave like kids in anime. I enjoyed the country accents as I think they contribute to the charm and it's something different at least.
Nov 13, 2020 3:35 PM

Aug 2017
Great jazzy and classical score, I should say! Also cute charadesigns. That Kansai dialect though...it did sound a bit different but I wouldn't have guessed without this thread.

There were so many Japanese signs...wish I could understand them.

Arumi was sitting on a pelican for a while...nice detail.

Another live-action ending! Gainax never disappoints. Though they should've done something more creative with it (videos instead of photos, or maybe mixing 2D elements)

I love how she thought it was a love hotel. I wonder what kind of upbringing she's had that that was her first thought ? ;)

I think she mentioned a "standard" hotel...might be wrong though.

P.S. The point of being "boring" (=slow) is to make the transition as shoking for the viewer as it was for the characters.

P.P.S. Sayaka has the same voice as Shuu from Ima Soku...

----------------------

Rei_III said:

Mmh.. I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for bringing my attention to the series episodic threads. (I had never checked them besides the final one until now.).

Sorry :p It's sort of a habit of mine at this point, I haven't always checked them either (and if I did, I've never had a habit of writing down my own impressions until fairly recently, I think; or at least that's how I remember). Anyway, glad to see you back here!

Checking seiyuus also seems to have become a casual thing for me...for some reason they're pretty hard to remember in most cases, excluding sufficiently unique ones. So it's not like I can always determine the seiyuu just by hearing a familiar voice, I need to factcheck it x)
St0rmbladeNov 15, 2020 6:51 AM
Nov 15, 2020 4:54 AM

Dec 2015
4/5

Never thought I would read a page of people bored with Abenobashi... Even its first episode's page. As said above, it makes for a greater contrast with the post- "disturbance element" part of the episode. (Sorry, I can't find the english terms for narration schemes.)

@St0rmblade Mmh.. I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for bringing my attention to the series episodic threads. (I had never checked them besides the final one until now.).
More seriously, thanks for the voice information: I bought and saw those series over a very short time and didn't even hear the similarity. (Maybe because the "Rei colour scheme" character often talks louder, not sure.)
Anyway, have a good time !

PS: You can watch the previews when they come, there's nothing to worry about.
Rei_IIINov 15, 2020 4:58 AM
Dec 22, 2020 8:13 PM

Jul 2008
I also mostly found it boring. I just didn't take interest in the conversations. I enjoy the art style and the small town vibe, but that's about it.
Oct 25, 2021 11:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was a basic and normal start until the grandfather fell and that they've been isekaied into a fantasy world... xD interesting
Apr 28, 2022 12:40 PM

Nov 2010
Intriguing start. Is this an isekai anime?
Jan 24, 2:16 PM

Jun 2021
oh, well, i'm into a nostalgia trip and after GTO it's time to rewatch another staple of my late teens discovered thanks to italian MTV Anime Night during the 2000's.

Abenobashi was aired for the probable second time (i thought it was the opening one) during the fall of 2005 and i was fresh of high school graduation (finally!). Can't recall what else was aired in the other two slots but i can clearly remember instead that me and my older brother started watching this pilot midway through and were asking ourselves what was going on, and the plot didn't seem very interesting. i'm glad to concede that we have been deceived hard... yes, the accidental fall and the weird final scene changed everything, but still weren't ready for the off the wall madness that was waiting for the next 12 tuesdays.

More topics from this board

» I'm a dum dum

TikkiWii - Jan 28

8 by phototaku »»
Feb 26, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

88 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 12 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 16, 2008

39 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 8 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 11, 2008

23 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 11 Discussion

Arashi89 - Aug 11, 2009

17 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 2:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.