Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 7, 2011 10:02 PM

Mar 2009
Roloko said:
I decided to watch this since Nozomi is streaming the first two episodes legally.

Same here. I hope they'll continue to stream two episodes per week. That'd be cool.

Ah, so now I understand Star Driver's school fun-then epic duel format. I guess it all started here. =P

Nice start so far. Very unique.
Dec 21, 2011 10:08 PM

Jul 2011
I know this may sound foolish, but I bought the Noizumi set without actually having seen the show because I've herd such good things about it and I gotta say so far so good on the first episode. I really like the design for the school and the forest. Well, onto the next ep let's hope I didn't spend my cash in vein (I don't see that happening I think I'll like this one).
Feb 7, 2012 7:37 AM

Mar 2011
The school looks really spectacular and the forest is quite surreal.
Apr 1, 2012 5:57 PM

Dec 2009
atrophaneurae said:
I finally started watching this show after many many years of wanting to watch it.

Same here. I had been wanting to watch this for the longest time but I finally took the time to do it. The concept of the school is interesting and different. This first episode was alright, but I need to watch a couple more to get the hang of it I guess. I actually have good expectations for this anime so I hope it doesn't disappoint me (:
Apr 25, 2012 3:31 AM

Mar 2008
wow.. what a good first episode o.O
so many songs all in 1 episode, pretty awesome! I think I'll really like this:)
Apr 28, 2012 5:11 PM
Apr 2012
Pretty good first episode. There really wasn't anything to grab my attention though. But it's way too early to judge anything. Can't wait to watch the next episode :D
Jul 24, 2012 7:27 PM
Jan 2012
Nice start, Utena is a really cool character.
Aug 4, 2012 10:43 PM

May 2010
"What was all that about?"

I should be asking YOU!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 23, 2012 5:39 PM

Mar 2012
I tried watching the anime and reading the manga some years ago; however, most of the symbolism went over my head, and I quickly lost interest. The art also bothered me

I recently decided to give it another shot, and I'm so glad I did! I'm able to see it now for the amazing series it actually is. The first episode already has me hooked. I just hope Anthy grows her hair out soon, I'm not digging the short look on her.
Sep 2, 2012 10:04 PM

Apr 2012
Well, that first episode certainly throws quite a few things at you. A couple of crazy things happened and there were a number of concepts/terms that were introduced without any explanation. Still, the things I just mentioned make the series seem more mysterious and it was an interesting episode - plus, Utena's character seems pretty cool. I look forward to seeing and learning more about what is going on.
Feb 5, 2013 10:12 AM

Oct 2011
Interesting first episode. Definitely over the top. I think I'll have a good time with this anime, good or bad.
Feb 5, 2013 11:38 PM

Aug 2007
I have a thing for tomboyish girls...
I really like Utena and the fantasy aspect of this so far!

Feb 5, 2013 11:49 PM
Dec 2012
lordzeru said:
Interesting first episode. Definitely over the top. I think I'll have a good time with this anime, good or bad.

Yeah interesting. Hope you'll keep watching till the final episode. Some people dropped in the middle.
Feb 7, 2013 8:18 AM

Oct 2011
eminagnam said:
lordzeru said:

Yeah interesting. Hope you'll keep watching till the final episode. Some people dropped in the middle.

I definitely will. Already a good portion of the way through, and haven't been given a single reason to dislike the series yet, par some of the repetitive episodes in the current segment I'm in.
Aug 2, 2013 4:05 PM

Jun 2009
Man, I almost forgot how well directed this show is. The opening scene with the prince and Utena is probably one of my favorite starting scenes in anime, but even stuff like how Wakaba tilted her head and a tear slid down her face in the letter reading scene was incredibly well done.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 4, 2014 12:47 AM

Jan 2014
Just finished episode 1
I can already see that Kill La Kill is a homage to this
Jan 12, 2014 12:59 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good all around. Awesome OST.
Mar 31, 2014 6:11 AM

Mar 2013
Soooooo....... utena just defeated a top notch swordsman with a broken Shinai. This is some DBZ level plot armour.
[25/04/14 4:04:39 PM] Skitzo: doujins have deep psychological undertones about the sexual intrigue of human behavior
Jul 27, 2014 7:42 PM
Apr 2009
How the f#$k did this anime slip under my radar?! And I only found it by accident a few years ago on MAL.

Utena's pretty hot, btw. ^_^
Dec 30, 2014 5:55 AM

Sep 2013
Oh baby, you just lit his heart - and mine. Too bad this seems there seems to be some lesbian love in the triangle.

We'll see I guess
Dec 30, 2014 5:56 AM

Jan 2013
cupc said:
Oh baby, you just lit his heart - and mine. Too bad this seems there seems to be some lesbian love in the triangle.

We'll see I guess

Lesbo love is best love.
#Truth
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 30, 2015 3:59 PM

Oct 2013
This show seems like it may jsut be amazing
[/quote]
Jul 31, 2015 3:50 PM

Feb 2012
Just got the set from my sister who highly recommend i watch it.

Loved every minute of it 5/5 but i quite surprised she loves this show much when it has heavy lesbian themes(dont have a problem with it btw). At least thats i got from th 1st ep.
Aug 10, 2015 8:53 PM

Jul 2011
That OP was so unexpectedly good I had to watch it twice.

Utena is very honorable and highly charming. She doesn't quite have elegance, but I think she'll develop it soon.

It's a bit over-the-top, but it's done quite well. The camera work is great and I LOVE the style and dazzling nature of the whole show. For example, when Saionji drew the sword from Anthy, I loved the animation. It was beautiful. I've seen the weapon-drawn-from-person done before, but it always felt weird, yet not this time. I was impressed throughout the whole episode, what a huge surprise. I didn't even really notice the symbolism, which is fine by me. The execution of the show has already won me over. (Though the SoL vibe and Utena's interaction with the hairbun girl is a bit out of place.)

I think I'm going to love this. <3
MirorinAug 10, 2015 9:01 PM
Sep 1, 2015 8:34 PM

Aug 2013
What a very intriguing first episode.
Oct 12, 2015 12:50 PM
Nov 2010
A few thoughts for you first timers... :)

- Are you watching the dub? STOP NOW. Do yourself a favor, turn around, and watch the subtitled version instead. (The Utena dub is the perfect example of a dub that isn't just bad... it's *wrong*. The script's OK, but the voice direction will give you horrible ideas of what's "actually" going on that will just make things even more confusing.)

- If you're coming from Pengiundrum or Arashi, remember that anime was paced and structured really differently in the late '90s :) Kunihiko Ikuhara directed Sailor Moon R and Sailor Moon S right before this, and each of those had 30-40 eps/season. Even though there are 3-4 "arcs" here, it's really intended as several movements in a single whole. Pengiundrum and Arashi are shorter, Utena takes its time, especially while it's putting all the pieces in the puzzle into play.

- There's a bit of a momentum ebb towards the middle of the Black Rose Saga... but don't let that dissuade you from continuing. Everything you'll have been seeing is important symbolically, and it starts to pick up again soon (and then doesn't really let up!).

- RGU is a really great example of a character study, in the drama or theater sense of the word (drama nerds tend to love the series). With 39 episodes, you're going to learn a lot about these characters, and even the "secondary" characters are actually really important to understanding what's going on, and why the main characters/leads are doing what they're doing. Be prepared.

- Keep an open mind and look out for repeated details and motifs :)
Dec 24, 2015 7:32 AM

Aug 2014
A pretty good 1 episode, I'm currently liking Utena.
Feb 1, 2016 12:56 PM

Feb 2013
The music is amazing! and damn those bishi with flawless hair, im so glad Utena won!

Feb 13, 2016 7:35 PM

Aug 2014
I loved both Penguidrum and Yuri Kuma so i already know what to expect from the mad man known as Ikuhara.

Solid first episode, really liking the MC so far.
Feb 13, 2016 7:53 PM
Jul 2015
The girl was so impressed by the prince that she decide to become a prince herself. Good attitude there.
May 11, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2015
This looked like really epic and grandiose. The music is great (ZETTAI, UNMEI!), the symbols are looking decent so I have really high expectation.
Aug 1, 2016 9:32 AM

Jul 2013
The weird music choices did put me off but i guess i keep watching.
Aug 18, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2015
*gender bending intensifies*

Utena is such a baddie I love it
I was hoping this anime would give me ominous Penguindrum vibes and it totally is!
Aug 21, 2016 5:33 AM

Jul 2011
Finally! An anime that is captivating from episode 1.
If this is anything near Rose of Versailles or Oni-sama, then I'm a happy person.
Aug 22, 2016 12:07 AM
Nov 2010
Dimethylanime said:
Utena is such a baddie I love it
I was hoping this anime would give me ominous Penguindrum vibes and it totally is!

Well, being by the same author certainly helps :) But try not to make the mistake of interpreting Utena *as* Pengiundrum (or Yurikuma Arashi, for that matter) too early. Utena pretty complex, and if you draw too many conclusions early on you might find the series actually harder to grok than someone who was coming into it fresh and w/o preconceptions.

OTOH...
NinaShlimon said:
If this is anything near Rose of Versailles or Oni-sama, then I'm a happy person.

...yeah, *definitely* created partially in light of that.
Sep 1, 2016 11:19 PM

Dec 2013
This was a decent first episode. Really liking Utena so far.

Not a big fan of how the eyes look but hopefully I'll get used to it.
Dec 15, 2016 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
Utena - badass and cute at the same time. :)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 12, 2017 9:54 AM
Jan 2017
A. I am almost sure that I did not understand 90% of the symbolism this show just blitzed past me. That is what it's famous for I suppose, the background motifs being more layered than a Kardashian wedding cake but STILL.
B. What little I DID catch I'm almost sure I got wrong because I've grown up in a world surrounded by western symbolism. The hair colors, eye colors, skin tones, the fucking colors of the background shading all have a meaning here and it's driving me NUTS not knowing what any of it means.
C. The green haired asshat is one of the most hateable characters to ever be put to animation and I've seen School Days
Henshin!
Feb 26, 2017 11:40 AM

Jun 2007
it wasn't bad but i just thought.. maybe i'm too old for this.....
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 25, 2017 8:45 PM

Nov 2011
That was a lot to take in. Between the gorgeous visuals, character dialogue, and sorting out what's going on with the plot, the episode felt very dense. The slice of life aspects with Wakaba helped ground the fantasy-like backstory and surrealist dueling arena quite well so that it didn't feel too out there.

This is the first time I've encountered Ikuhara's work outside of Sailor Moon. It left a nice first impression.

Utena and her friend seem to have plenty of charm, the mystery aspects were well introduced, and as the above indicates I thought the directing was good. All in all this looks like a promising watch.
Jun 13, 2017 8:17 AM

Dec 2014
I'm going into this completely blind so I know nothing. This first episode was amazing! That soundtrack, my god that soundtrack. I'm so excited, please, please, please don't let me down!
Aug 7, 2017 11:37 AM

Apr 2015
The first thing that stands out to me is the music. I don't normally rave about anime music, but I really like the music just from this first episode, especially when Utena was going up to the castle.

I'm glad she won against that green-haired douchebag, though I have the feeling that won't be the last we see of him.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 6, 2017 9:59 AM

Jun 2013
Nice first episode. Established our dashing protagonist, gave us the first taste of action, and raised plenty of questions.

ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU

That song made me laugh. Just one of the many amusingly bizarre things in this show so far. Others include the storybook style fourth wall breaking, Utena's tendency to talk to herself, the almighty student council, the oddly mixed Japanese names, and the repetition of words, and the repetition of words. There's some narm occasionally, but it's charming, and some of it, I assume, is intentional.

This show just looks stylish as hell. I knew that this was going to be my aesthetic. Utena a total badass, and I like that more than one side of hers was shown in this very first episode. Her voice is more feminine than I expected; she's also in middle school apparently and not in high school as I assumed.
LeeTailorSep 6, 2017 10:29 AM
Sep 9, 2017 7:47 PM
Nov 2015
Just started it today, and I must say it BEAUTIFUL. The artwork, the music, the overall plot. I will definitely write my review on this and the film 💜
Dec 30, 2017 10:10 PM

May 2015
I loved Rose of Versailles, so I might as well check out other popular shoujo titles starting with this one. I like this already -- stunning composition in certain scenes. I can see why Ikuhara is an established director in the industry.
Jan 1, 2018 8:40 AM

Jan 2017
HOLY SHEET WHAT DID I JUST WATCH!?!?

I am absolutely digging EVERYTHING about this one's premise. A princess who wants to become a prince herself!? Mesmerizing fight scenes and incredible musicalization? Entrancing characters!? All this air of grandioseness!?

Yes, bring it on. I'm already a huge fan of Mawaru Penguindrum.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 11, 2018 10:22 AM

Dec 2015
"Oh yeahhh, baby"

Mar 25, 2018 6:09 AM

Nov 2016
Promising start,but the music is indeed outstanding.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2018 7:06 PM

Sep 2011
I knew the scene in Hayate was a reference to something, but I had no idea what. I got pretty excited when I recognized the scene. I had even less of an idea that Hinagiku's character was practically a clone of Utena. This series seriously gives off a 90s vibe, for better and for worse. I'm pretty excited to see where this journey takes me.
Apr 22, 2018 8:49 PM

Aug 2016
Actually enjoyed this first ep

But those opening and ending! gosh, what a soulful music production!!! the 90s has some great music!
:v
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.