Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 27, 2007 1:41 PM

Feb 2007
Ah, I just finished this and found there was no discussion for it..
I was wondering what everyone though?

Personally I thought it started off a bit too slow but it became very interesting by the end..

Actually, one of the reasons why I am making this is, does anyone else thing it's weird that they would go back to hunting witches in the end? Like.. if they are supposed to be the sucessor to the human race.
Does this mean they are just hunting witches who are criminals?
And without orbo, does this mean they are just going to kill them? I think the death penalty wouldn't be to kind..

I don't know.. I think I am confused..
May 27, 2007 1:53 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Hmm, it has been quite a while since I saw this show. Probably about 2-3 years if I remember correctly. But, My understanding was that there were two types of "witches" I guess. Weren't there witches and then "craft users". The witches were the evil of the two or something.
May 27, 2007 2:47 PM

Apr 2007
It was a good series overall. I almost dropped it early on because the first 10 or so episodes were repetative witch hunts of the day. After that the story got a lot more involved and interesting.

If I recall correctly, there wasn't any real difference between a craft user and a witch. Robin was known as a craft user but in the end it turns out she was a witch just like the rest of them.

I don't think it's weird that they would return to hunting witches. They are the only bureau in Japan able to do the job and without them there could be a potentially widespread problem with rogue witches abusing their powers. However, as Robin learned in the series, not all witches are evil so I'd imagine they'd only target the most dangerous offenders.

As to whether they kill their targets or not, their choices are limited without the orbo factory supplying them those special bullets. However STNJ is under new management in the end so policies could change in a lot of ways. If they can get proper funding, whether it be through their own means or restored ties with their parent organization back in Italy, I can imagine they'd figure some solution out.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 28, 2007 4:42 PM

Feb 2007
yeah, there wasn't really much of a difference between a craft user and a witch.

Yeah, I understand the need for them to go back and hunt the witches, just yeah. I guess killing the bad ones is way better than just letting them destroy Japan or something.
Jul 22, 2007 12:04 AM

Jul 2007
The story is full of conspiracy and deceit which is why it gets confusing about what is really happening. It's like a maze with hidden passages and you've found those bits of truth, you would realize that the message in the story is about how twisted humans really are.

Witches are people with special abilities (such as ESP, craft users etc) who have become a threat to mankind, this is according to the HQ interpretation and what the STNJ members were made to believed. The STNJ hunts these witches who abuses their powers and abilities. The members of the STNJ are either seeds or unawakened witches, because of their power and ability to use the orbo, are needed to defeat the witches. They never see themselves as 'witches' and never question their orders because they really believed that they ARE protecting the world from these horrible witches. But the underlying truth was that anyone with special abilities or have latent abilities are considered a witch. And the STNJ's goal is to hunt ALL witches.

As the story evolved, we know that eventually, even the hunters would become hunted because the hunters were essentially witches. After they discovered a way to allow normal human to use the orbo, the STNJ members were of no use. Once Robin had awakened and gained more power, she was seen as a threat and was declared a witch. At the same time, Robin began to see that not all witches were bad like how they had been made to believe so. The people from HQ hunted witches by killing them while the STNJ uses the orbo to weaken their powers but in the end, we know that being captured was an even worse fate than being killed because they were use as the "source" of the orbo.

In the story, Project Robin holds the truth to the existence of witches. The STNJ thought by uncovering the truth, they would find a way to destroy the witches. Instead, they found out that witches of the past were considered to be "God" because of their abilities and powers. Basically, they were an advanced form of a human that's why they are the successor of mankind who had the potential to lead the humans. But because they had very few decendants, the normal human grew in numbers and after many generations, their fear of the witches lead them to think that the witches are trash and impurities of mankind, so they begin to hunt them down in order to rid the world of these 'trash'.

Although they know that witches are the successor of mankind, they can't possible allow them to abuse their powers. I suppose killing them is a little extreme. Perhaps they are able to capture them with a new device or something. Like how devil users in OP are weak against the sea stone. XD and that could be another story, shall I start hoping for season 2? >.<
AzurielJul 22, 2007 12:55 AM
Nov 6, 2007 3:17 AM

Apr 2007
It was a good series.
But we missed a lot :/ at the end of almost every episode things would happen taht we wouldn't see. Like Robin escaping that tunnel and hooking up with Amons brother. There's other things as well but that's the only thing I can remember right now. It's as if we missed whole episodes between the episodes that were released :/
Nov 19, 2007 11:32 PM

Feb 2007
Damoizgod said:
It was a good series.
But we missed a lot :/ at the end of almost every episode things would happen taht we wouldn't see. Like Robin escaping that tunnel and hooking up with Amons brother. There's other things as well but that's the only thing I can remember right now. It's as if we missed whole episodes between the episodes that were released :/

Hmm, I kinda agree. The transition from Episode 22-23 is another good example.

Anyway, I watched the final 4 episodes today. After watching the first 10 episodes, I never thought the main story for this show would be so complex and exciting. The only thing that leaves me a little mystified is the disappearance of Amon and Robin...
Jul 1, 2008 5:53 PM
Apr 2008
I enjoyed this anime, I hope they have a second season.
Please click my eggs/little dragons from Dragon Cave...XD

Thanks for clicking...:)
Jul 12, 2008 9:22 AM

Mar 2008
It's kinda boring at the start, but i'll see the ending very soon
Jul 16, 2008 11:19 PM

Mar 2008
I just finished this anime a few minutes ago. It took a lot of convincing from others to make me watch it, but in the end, I feel the same way about it as before I watched it. I could never get the "feel" of this anime, so I was wasn't fully engaged. Even towards the end, I didn't feel any excitement to continue it. I just finished it to see the ending, and I had nothing else to do.

And I know that the art is praised, but it always seemed awkward to me. As far as the plot goes, it certainly did take a while for it to develop. Then it got extremely confusing, and I felt like I had to fill in some gaps myself.

I did enjoy the characters to a certain extent. Robin wasn't that interesting to me, but I wanted to know more about Amon and his intentions. But really, the best parts for me were the last two episodes because all the characters were grouped together. Their personalities were a LOT more entertaining then, and at times, a little amusing.

Overall, I give this anime a 6/10.
Mimi_TaylorJul 16, 2008 11:22 PM
Jul 28, 2008 11:15 AM
Sep 2007
It was good but felt rushed at the end. Overall the plot is good but lacking in some areas, for instance the ending..

The only real problem I had with this anime was the almost robot-like switch Robin had between heroine and the chick with a few good moves.
Aug 5, 2008 3:23 PM
Apr 2008
Hmmm...I really enjoyed it though I wish that at the end it would have been confirmed that Amon and Robin were still alive, though it strongly hints at that.
Please click my eggs/little dragons from Dragon Cave...XD

Thanks for clicking...:)
Sep 2, 2008 2:29 AM

Aug 2007
RelenaPeacecraft said:
Hmmm...I really enjoyed it though I wish that at the end it would have been confirmed that Amon and Robin were still alive, though it strongly hints at that.

Spoilers for the end
Sep 9, 2008 4:01 PM

Aug 2008
I'm in the process of still watching it I'm almost done with Episode 13th , And i didn't blame the bad guy on this episode for killing those people because he was sick n tired of them calling him freak and stuff like that , Robin is my favorite character since i like her VA
Oct 9, 2008 11:53 AM

Jun 2008
it was good.. but i was rather bored through most of it =/
i liked Amon's character a lot though, but that was probably it.
Oct 13, 2008 12:54 PM

Aug 2008
I've been meaning to watch this for a while, and just watched the first ep now. Funny thing is, although it only shares the director with Ergo Proxy, the animation & backgrounds look like they're done by the same studio.

Will edit when I finish watching.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, finished now. I must say, that story too quite a while to develop. But it was good; the fairly stand-alone witch-of-the-week episodes in the first half were very absorbing, and could be watched one at a time (although I rarely did that ;) ). Then the main plot in the second half was confusing, mysterious, but also absorbing. It took it a long tim to reveal itself, and there're some details I still don't get. The ending was kinda anti-climactic, but I can't see how it could've been different (other that the small detail of maybe Amon's powers awakening).

Not the best, but still good and very enjoyable: 8/10. I must say, that of all the main characters I have encountered, Robin's probably got the least amount of dialogue. She could be pretty funny at times, though (ie the scene where Nagira's assistant tries to waker her up... zero emotion XD).
JadeMatrixOct 22, 2008 5:06 PM
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Dec 13, 2008 4:11 PM

Jun 2008
This show was just purely awesome. Its way under-rated. Now we want a shit load of merch to go with it.
Jan 6, 2009 11:55 AM
Jan 2009
I dropped this anime because the beginning was too slow. But maybe later I will watch it again
Apr 18, 2009 8:19 PM
Feb 2009
kirafan said:
I dropped this anime because the beginning was too slow. But maybe later I will watch it again

Yeah it is really slow, I just finished the 6th ep. Things are starting to pick up and get interesting though.
Jun 2, 2009 10:08 PM

Jul 2008
I liked quite a bit. I actually enjoyed the slower stand-alone episodes in the beginning of the series. Azuriel explained the nature of witches very well, I came to the same conclusions. I wished I could have at least seen a glimpse of Robin and Amon at the end of the series. I'm kind of wavering between giving it an 8 or giving it a 9. I did like it a lot, but I didn't like it as much of most of the shows I have given 9's. But I like it a bit more than the shows I tend to give 8's. :|

BEGINNER
Jun 16, 2009 9:26 AM
Feb 2009
Just finished it, ending was too predictable but it got a little better.

Anyone know what happened to the live action show version? Probably got dropped ehhh?
Oct 4, 2009 9:08 PM

Jul 2008
I also found it fairly slow, it was okay but it wasn't one of those anime where I really liked the characters, no one was too emotional or exciting to get attached too, everyone had their own mysterious and serious vibe, which is good for a show like this, however it makes character develop really boring because no one sticks out ever. The ending was decent, but the very end when the "new" hunter shows up I got really confused, because the anime made you want assume Robin was the new hunter, but Robin's a witch I mean there's no way the witch hunters woud ever hire her again.
Oct 19, 2009 5:23 PM

Jun 2009
hm?
Just started it myself. It seems quite slow, seems that slow is the only kind of anime I can find these days. I wish it was more gripping because some scenes move so slow I could cry. But I shall hang on a little longer.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 15, 2010 9:55 PM

May 2010
Meh, they spent like the first few episodes on just hunting witches in order to give us insights on the characters and their relationship buildups. I think the hunt was what really made this show good
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 10, 2010 7:38 PM

Jun 2010
Honestly, I didn't find it slow at all. Took me two days to finish this but I never got tired of it.

The ending was alright.. It was pretty confusing though because some characters believed they existed no matter what and others didn't. Honestly, why did they leave? Was it because she was a witch.. or they were still after her..

I don't exactly know but the ending made me think.. very satisfying anime. =]

edit: oh yeah wtf, why didn't they explain what Amon really said when he made her escape underground. Remember? He pushed her down the hidden passage way in the well and said something but it didn't finish.
leleux_Jun 10, 2010 9:40 PM
Sep 3, 2010 6:52 AM

Mar 2009
I think I'll watch it just because of how the main character looks. xD
Mar 21, 2011 11:10 PM

Sep 2009
01 said:
Honestly, I didn't find it slow at all. Took me two days to finish this but I never got tired of it.

The ending was alright.. It was pretty confusing though because some characters believed they existed no matter what and others didn't. Honestly, why did they leave? Was it because she was a witch.. or they were still after her..

I don't exactly know but the ending made me think.. very satisfying anime. =]

edit: oh yeah wtf, why didn't they explain what Amon really said when he made her escape underground. Remember? He pushed her down the hidden passage way in the well and said something but it didn't finish.

"The next time I see you I'm going to hunt/kill you."

Pretty much explained by the fact the next time he saw her he was going to try and kill her.
Apr 30, 2011 4:10 PM

Jan 2010
I was just waiting for them to hook up with each other :P to bad they didn't >.< xD
and true, the first 10 episode were very slow but it was worthy to wait :)
8/10 to me ^^
"If it's your wish, I will follow you everywhere, Even if your throne crumbles, And your shiny crown turns to rust, Even if the bodies pile up endlessly, Above the bottomless pile corpses, Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be.....Until i hear the words "check Mate." ♥
Jun 26, 2011 3:29 PM
Apr 2009
Far from amazing, but still enjoyable. The show upped its intensity towards the end and I found myself not wanting to stop watching. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a unique action series that is not too over-the-top.
Mar 4, 2013 8:42 PM

Jul 2011
Goodness people, not every anime with a female and male main characters is a romance. don't expect them to get together just because of that. Besides Robin is 15, who knows how old Amon is.

And also that "new hunter" At the end after the credits, it looked like Robin. But who knows.
But it is safe to assume that both Robin and Amon are alive. I mean they were with kurusama when the building collapsed. It is possible that they helped her make it out and then fled or something.

A 2nd season would be pretty awesome. however it's been 11-12 years since. :/ :(
Jul 3, 2013 6:25 PM
May 2013
Just finished Witch Hunter Robin. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. It's most definitely a unique anime. I'm frustrated though because the show was good but if things had been done right, it could have been great and one of the best animes of all time! The plot seemed to be all over the place at points and the first half being episodic meant there was only 13 more episodes for all the plot points and true story arc to take place in. Also, there were a few confusing parts that weren't explained, which I had to research afterwards before I fully understood. And more backstory on some of the characters as well as a physical personification of the mysterious Solomon Headquarters would have been quite nice. Lastly, the ending was quite odd seeing as how **spoiler alert** after everything the STN-J has learned, they are still operating normally and hunting witches, minus orbo which I will give them credit for. I hope I have not seemed off-putting of WHR, I still greatly enjoyed it and recommended it. The plot and storyline will wrap you into them and the symbolism is so good, I loved the very serious and dark mood as well as no clear-cut definition of good or evil and the soundtrack. If I had to rate it, it'd be 7/10. Please watch it and tell me what you think :)
Mar 28, 2014 4:55 AM

Apr 2009
This show is really slow. I'm almost halfway and I feell I'm going to drop this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2017 2:42 PM
Apr 2017
Doesn't look like anyone has posted on this particular forum in a while, but, I'll still put my two cents worth out there in case anyone still follows this.

While I did enjoy the show, the beginning episodes were kind of confusing at first before I eventually caught on that they were done in monster of the week style. The main story got really interesting, but, I thought the ending was total bullshit. No offense to anyone who enjoyed the ending. I mean, just having Robin and Amon disappear into thin air with no apparent explanation whatsoever and everyone just casually returning to business as usual was a major let down. But otherwise, it's a really good show.

I really enjoyed Robin and her character design really fit the whole witch aesthetic. The other characters were great too, but, when they all wore the uniform it kinda makes them all look the same with the only differences being hair and facial features. The music was amazing. I really love the opening theme (both the original mix and the instrumental version) and the background music really helped set the tone and atmosphere of the series. I still think that this series is not as great as the director's work on Ergo Proxy, but, it's a damn close call. I hope people will revisit this series soon since it isn't talked about as much anymore.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Hunter Robin Episode 2 Discussion

Sabinlerose - Mar 1, 2011

16 by ERKEK2000 »»
Apr 10, 1:25 PM

Poll: » Witch Hunter Robin Episode 12 Discussion

tingy - Aug 16, 2013

13 by EvantheNerd83 »»
Feb 19, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Hunter Robin Episode 26 Discussion

Sabinlerose - Mar 21, 2011

44 by twennyhundy »»
Feb 17, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Witch Hunter Robin Episode 7 Discussion

Sabinlerose - Mar 10, 2011

17 by fikriyeager »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:16 PM

Poll: » Witch Hunter Robin Episode 14 Discussion

Sabinlerose - Mar 14, 2011

16 by Ilfracombe »»
Oct 16, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.