MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

General Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Witch Hunter Robin »» General Discussion

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
05-27-07, 1:41 PM

Ah, I just finished this and found there was no discussion for it..
I was wondering what everyone though?

Personally I thought it started off a bit too slow but it became very interesting by the end..

Actually, one of the reasons why I am making this is, does anyone else thing it's weird that they would go back to hunting witches in the end? Like.. if they are supposed to be the sucessor to the human race.
Does this mean they are just hunting witches who are criminals?
And without orbo, does this mean they are just going to kill them? I think the death penalty wouldn't be to kind..

I don't know.. I think I am confused..

05-27-07, 1:53 PM
Site Administrator
Hmm, it has been quite a while since I saw this show. Probably about 2-3 years if I remember correctly. But, My understanding was that there were two types of "witches" I guess. Weren't there witches and then "craft users". The witches were the evil of the two or something.

05-27-07, 2:47 PM

It was a good series overall. I almost dropped it early on because the first 10 or so episodes were repetative witch hunts of the day. After that the story got a lot more involved and interesting.

If I recall correctly, there wasn't any real difference between a craft user and a witch. Robin was known as a craft user but in the end it turns out she was a witch just like the rest of them.

I don't think it's weird that they would return to hunting witches. They are the only bureau in Japan able to do the job and without them there could be a potentially widespread problem with rogue witches abusing their powers. However, as Robin learned in the series, not all witches are evil so I'd imagine they'd only target the most dangerous offenders.

As to whether they kill their targets or not, their choices are limited without the orbo factory supplying them those special bullets. However STNJ is under new management in the end so policies could change in a lot of ways. If they can get proper funding, whether it be through their own means or restored ties with their parent organization back in Italy, I can imagine they'd figure some solution out.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

05-28-07, 4:42 PM

yeah, there wasn't really much of a difference between a craft user and a witch.

Yeah, I understand the need for them to go back and hunt the witches, just yeah. I guess killing the bad ones is way better than just letting them destroy Japan or something.

07-22-07, 12:04 AM

The story is full of conspiracy and deceit which is why it gets confusing about what is really happening. It's like a maze with hidden passages and you've found those bits of truth, you would realize that the message in the story is about how twisted humans really are.

Witches are people with special abilities (such as ESP, craft users etc) who have become a threat to mankind, this is according to the HQ interpretation and what the STNJ members were made to believed. The STNJ hunts these witches who abuses their powers and abilities. The members of the STNJ are either seeds or unawakened witches, because of their power and ability to use the orbo, are needed to defeat the witches. They never see themselves as 'witches' and never question their orders because they really believed that they ARE protecting the world from these horrible witches. But the underlying truth was that anyone with special abilities or have latent abilities are considered a witch. And the STNJ's goal is to hunt ALL witches.

As the story evolved, we know that eventually, even the hunters would become hunted because the hunters were essentially witches. After they discovered a way to allow normal human to use the orbo, the STNJ members were of no use. Once Robin had awakened and gained more power, she was seen as a threat and was declared a witch. At the same time, Robin began to see that not all witches were bad like how they had been made to believe so. The people from HQ hunted witches by killing them while the STNJ uses the orbo to weaken their powers but in the end, we know that being captured was an even worse fate than being killed because they were use as the "source" of the orbo.

In the story, Project Robin holds the truth to the existence of witches. The STNJ thought by uncovering the truth, they would find a way to destroy the witches. Instead, they found out that witches of the past were considered to be "God" because of their abilities and powers. Basically, they were an advanced form of a human that's why they are the successor of mankind who had the potential to lead the humans. But because they had very few decendants, the normal human grew in numbers and after many generations, their fear of the witches lead them to think that the witches are trash and impurities of mankind, so they begin to hunt them down in order to rid the world of these 'trash'.

Although they know that witches are the successor of mankind, they can't possible allow them to abuse their powers. I suppose killing them is a little extreme. Perhaps they are able to capture them with a new device or something. Like how devil users in OP are weak against the sea stone. XD and that could be another story, shall I start hoping for season 2? >.<
Modified by Azuriel, 07-22-07, 12:55 AM

11-06-07, 3:17 AM

It was a good series.
But we missed a lot :/ at the end of almost every episode things would happen taht we wouldn't see. Like Robin escaping that tunnel and hooking up with Amons brother. There's other things as well but that's the only thing I can remember right now. It's as if we missed whole episodes between the episodes that were released :/

11-19-07, 11:32 PM

Damoizgod said:
It was a good series.
But we missed a lot :/ at the end of almost every episode things would happen taht we wouldn't see. Like Robin escaping that tunnel and hooking up with Amons brother. There's other things as well but that's the only thing I can remember right now. It's as if we missed whole episodes between the episodes that were released :/

Hmm, I kinda agree. The transition from Episode 22-23 is another good example.

Anyway, I watched the final 4 episodes today. After watching the first 10 episodes, I never thought the main story for this show would be so complex and exciting. The only thing that leaves me a little mystified is the disappearance of Amon and Robin...

07-01-08, 5:53 PM

I enjoyed this anime, I hope they have a second season.
Please click my eggs/little dragons from Dragon Cave...XD

Thanks for clicking...:)

07-12-08, 9:22 AM

It's kinda boring at the start, but i'll see the ending very soon

[/url]

07-16-08, 11:19 PM

I just finished this anime a few minutes ago. It took a lot of convincing from others to make me watch it, but in the end, I feel the same way about it as before I watched it. I could never get the "feel" of this anime, so I was wasn't fully engaged. Even towards the end, I didn't feel any excitement to continue it. I just finished it to see the ending, and I had nothing else to do.

And I know that the art is praised, but it always seemed awkward to me. As far as the plot goes, it certainly did take a while for it to develop. Then it got extremely confusing, and I felt like I had to fill in some gaps myself.

I did enjoy the characters to a certain extent. Robin wasn't that interesting to me, but I wanted to know more about Amon and his intentions. But really, the best parts for me were the last two episodes because all the characters were grouped together. Their personalities were a LOT more entertaining then, and at times, a little amusing.

Overall, I give this anime a 6/10.
Modified by Mimi_Taylor, 07-16-08, 11:22 PM

07-28-08, 11:15 AM

It was good but felt rushed at the end. Overall the plot is good but lacking in some areas, for instance the ending..

The only real problem I had with this anime was the almost robot-like switch Robin had between heroine and the chick with a few good moves.

08-05-08, 3:23 PM

Hmmm...I really enjoyed it though I wish that at the end it would have been confirmed that Amon and Robin were still alive, though it strongly hints at that.
Please click my eggs/little dragons from Dragon Cave...XD

Thanks for clicking...:)

09-02-08, 2:29 AM

RelenaPeacecraft said:
Hmmm...I really enjoyed it though I wish that at the end it would have been confirmed that Amon and Robin were still alive, though it strongly hints at that.

Spoilers for the end

09-09-08, 4:01 PM

I'm in the process of still watching it I'm almost done with Episode 13th , And i didn't blame the bad guy on this episode for killing those people because he was sick n tired of them calling him freak and stuff like that , Robin is my favorite character since i like her VA

10-09-08, 11:53 AM

it was good.. but i was rather bored through most of it =/
i liked Amon's character a lot though, but that was probably it.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

10-13-08, 12:54 PM

I've been meaning to watch this for a while, and just watched the first ep now. Funny thing is, although it only shares the director with Ergo Proxy, the animation & backgrounds look like they're done by the same studio.

Will edit when I finish watching.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, finished now. I must say, that story too quite a while to develop. But it was good; the fairly stand-alone witch-of-the-week episodes in the first half were very absorbing, and could be watched one at a time (although I rarely did that ;) ). Then the main plot in the second half was confusing, mysterious, but also absorbing. It took it a long tim to reveal itself, and there're some details I still don't get. The ending was kinda anti-climactic, but I can't see how it could've been different (other that the small detail of maybe Amon's powers awakening).

Not the best, but still good and very enjoyable: 8/10. I must say, that of all the main characters I have encountered, Robin's probably got the least amount of dialogue. She could be pretty funny at times, though (ie the scene where Nagira's assistant tries to waker her up... zero emotion XD).
Modified by JadeMatrix, 10-22-08, 5:06 PM
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

12-13-08, 4:11 PM

This show was just purely awesome. Its way under-rated. Now we want a shit load of merch to go with it.

01-06-09, 11:55 AM

I dropped this anime because the beginning was too slow. But maybe later I will watch it again

04-18-09, 8:19 PM

kirafan said:
I dropped this anime because the beginning was too slow. But maybe later I will watch it again

Yeah it is really slow, I just finished the 6th ep. Things are starting to pick up and get interesting though.

06-02-09, 10:08 PM
Manga Moderator
I liked quite a bit. I actually enjoyed the slower stand-alone episodes in the beginning of the series. Azuriel explained the nature of witches very well, I came to the same conclusions. I wished I could have at least seen a glimpse of Robin and Amon at the end of the series. I'm kind of wavering between giving it an 8 or giving it a 9. I did like it a lot, but I didn't like it as much of most of the shows I have given 9's. But I like it a bit more than the shows I tend to give 8's. :|

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices