Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Which one do you think is better?
Mar 21, 2008 2:31 PM
Jun 2007
Which one do you think is better, the Clannad series or the movie?
IMO, so far, I think the movie is better.
Mar 21, 2008 2:37 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I haven't seen episode 22 of Clannad TV yet. And I can't make a final decision until I've seen the OVA that's released in July. But sofar, even if the movie was good, the series is way~ superior. Music, animation, seiyuus, gags, everything. If hope the OVA will be as great as the series.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 21, 2008 2:38 PM

Mar 2007
Well, the movie sucked. So, yeah.
Edit:
Fuck, I accidentally voted for the movie.
Mar 21, 2008 3:39 PM

Apr 2007
The serie is much longer, it's not a fair comparison. So I'm not going to vote this. But both are decent imo.
Mar 21, 2008 9:21 PM
Jan 2008
voted for the series... if i wasn't spoiled by the series before i watch the movie i might have a different answer.
Mar 22, 2008 5:07 AM

Jan 2008
Series is much better for me.
Nagisa in movie and Nagisa in series are completely different. Personally I don't like Nagisa from movie (I cannot stand her silly smile -_-), she's more adorable in KyoAni adaptation.
Moreover, Tomoya's voice is the best in the series. Yuichi Nakamura did awesome job, I really can't imagine other seiyuu in Tomoya's role than him. I don't think that Kenji Nojima was THAT bad, but Nakamura was more, more, more suitable for Okazaki.
And something else - character designs. When I watched movie, I was thinking: 'What the hell is it?! You've gotta be kidding me! That's not Nagisa or Kyou, right? Please, tell me that they aren't the same people as adorable ladies from TV series.'. I really don't like (I wonder that Itaru Hinoue thinks about Toei's chara designs...) and I'm still thinking it's the weakest point of the Clannad movie.
Music was good in both adaptations, but movie version of 'dango song' really annoyed me. But I'm happy that one of the movie endings was 'Chiisana Tenohira' (Nagisa's theme btw). Without this song movie would be just bad.

I hope everyone can understand me ^^;, I know well that my english is just horrible XD.

Mar 22, 2008 10:01 AM

Oct 2007
Yeah I voted for the movie because it was soo much better than the series >.>
The last episode disappointed me greatly... and over all the series spent too much time giving us the backgrounds of the characters in a form of arks. I think thats sorta okay but the arks were too long and the ending seemed rushed. I didn't even get to see a kiss once in that anime. Mainly was hoping on Tomoya and Nagisa :(

Anyways Yes I say the movie is much better than the series. It explains soo much more and it had a fair share of explaining each characters story. But not to the point of over doing it like the series did. Also for one thing the movie explains who the little girl running through the grass in the Clannad Series Opening. The series never even hinted at who it might be. And I hope someone doesn't respond to this well if you read the manga or played the game you might have known. Not everyone has so yeah...
Mai Waifu~ Louise

I love her with all of my heart and soul~ <3
Mar 22, 2008 12:03 PM

Feb 2008
I voted for the movie. Its impact on me is way more than the series does. I almost cried at the part when Tomoya is depressed. The ending is very touching too.

Mar 22, 2008 12:25 PM

Aug 2007
Yes. I, too, voted totally for the movie.

My votes:
Series: ca. 4/10 points
Movie: ca. 9-10/10

I think, I don't have to say more, right? xD
Mar 26, 2008 4:18 AM

Mar 2008
Yes, in terms of drama and impact the movie was much better. I also liked Nagisa more in the movie.

But you can't top the many and great comedy scenes in the TV series. They were so good, that I voted for the series overall. The funny scenes in the movie weren't funny at all.
Mar 27, 2008 8:42 AM

Jan 2008
Forever said:
The funny scenes in the movie weren't funny at all.

True. Very true. Movie was just too dramatic.
I wanted so badly something as funny as Nagisa's misunderstood, when she thought Sunohara is a gay.

Apr 1, 2008 7:39 PM

Nov 2007
The game wins them all.
Apr 3, 2008 2:19 AM

Oct 2007
Rainulf said:
Which one do you think is better, the Clannad series or the movie?
IMO, so far, I think the movie is better.

The series is obviously better, because you can get attack to the characters better while you are patiently waiting for new releases...
Apr 3, 2008 2:55 AM

Dec 2007
Series > Movie.
Apr 3, 2008 7:24 AM

Nov 2007
Tossing the game aside, it's actually quite hard to decide which version is better. Scene by scene KyoAni destroys Toei on Clannad, with great character adaption and well-executed comedy scenes. On the other hand, I actually like Toei's storyline better. Even though they editted and took out a lot of stuff the anime still had a good degree of emotional impact. Though the majority of the movie was about Nagisa and Tomoyo's relationship the ending tries to pull back to the family theme from Clannad. Though it does not have the breadth of the game, I think it's a very solid single-route plotline that worked pretty well for the movie. Kyoani, on the other hand... I'm not sure what they tried to do. The first half of the series started off character-by-character that's so similar to Kanon it's almost a deja vu for me. After that... they grabbed a bunch of scenes and tried to mash them together, with yukine here for 2 minutes, tomoyo there for 5 minutes, the Fujibayashi sisters for 5 minutes. In the end, it felt like a lot of "character-hopping" and as a result, none of the characters in the later episodes were very well developed. While not bad by any means, it certainly could have been better. I wished KyoAni would have done route by route with alternate endings. I think it will really help give flesh out the different perspectives and invoke more emotion.

Overall, I would say KyoAni's version would be better if the person hasn't played the game, and Toei for those that who has. Props to both companies for the solid adaptions.
Apr 17, 2008 11:50 PM

Apr 2008
I say I like the Series more than the Movie. I can't blame the movie since it's too short for a memorable character development, but I do respect the 2nd half of the movie. The fact that Nagisa died made me hold my tears, because Nagisa came close in my thoughts after watching the Series. I think I'll not feel the movie if I haven't watched the series cause I was like "Am I watching Clannad?! Why the hell Nagisa acts like this?!" while watching the first part of the movie.

May 4, 2008 4:51 AM

Mar 2008
cyruz said:
even if the movie was good, the series is way~ superior. Music, animation, seiyuus, gags, everything.

totally agree. just hope the 2nd season of clannad is as good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2008 4:58 AM

Jan 2008
sugarplumfairy said:
cyruz said:
even if the movie was good, the series is way~ superior. Music, animation, seiyuus, gags, everything.

totally agree. just hope the 2nd season of clannad is as good.
Lol, i was about to quote the exact same part of what cyruz said.
But yeah, ican't agree more. Imo, the series was just way superior in all aspects.
Oct 8, 2010 3:24 PM
Nov 2009
Jalal said:
Series > Movie.

^this
Jan 6, 2011 4:28 PM

Aug 2008
I liked the series was a whole lot better.
Feb 12, 2011 4:58 PM

May 2010
series is very understanding and touching scenes
BUT the movie is very too much serious characters like Youhei Sunohara

Aug 24, 2013 1:04 AM

Nov 2012
Series because the movie only focused on Nagisa, who I really hate
Aug 20, 2015 8:56 AM
Mar 2015
I watched Clannad and Clannad:After Story, and I can't say without lying that I hated them. Neither can I say that I liked them better than, let's say Howl's Moving Castle.
But the movie was great. The movie had everything a viewer wants. A good pace, enough character development, no unwanted gags and starfish and the dramatic element with a satisfying ending.
Aug 21, 2015 8:23 AM

Jan 2015
The movie sucked. So I pick series.
Apr 23, 2017 8:32 PM
Apr 2017
Ari_the_Lioness said:
You suck, you fat nerd.
Apr 24, 2017 10:52 AM

Jan 2015
DavieJones916 said:
Ari_the_Lioness said:
You suck, you fat nerd.

Oh now my feelings are hurt, you random internet person who just joined yesterday with no anime on their list.
Jul 19, 2017 3:53 PM

Jun 2017
I think the series is far better than the movie.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.