Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2008 1:46 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just started watching this series after seeing Gundam Wing, and more recently Gundam 00.

This was a cool episode. Seeing the colonies raining down on the Earth was interesting. I look forward to seeing where this series goes.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Jul 29, 2008 1:52 AM
Apr 2008
I think i like how the story goes for ep 1 and i like the plot alot
I will be watching this after full metal panic
May 2, 2009 7:27 PM

Feb 2008
Interesting so far, the post-apocalyptic setting is definitely a plus. And it looks like Newtypes are in this series too. The prologue almost felt like the Federation vs the Zeons.
May 21, 2009 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
Nice opening episode. It wasn't slow, gave us a good background story so we know kinda what the hell is going on AND I got to see 3 Gundams in the first ep. Not bad. Plus Garrod doesn't seem to be whiny, that's a change of pace.

Besides IGLOO, this is the last Gundam series I haven't finished.
Jul 29, 2009 7:07 PM

May 2009
Good first episode. It was interesting and had some action right from the start. I wonder why everyone is after the girl.
Aug 18, 2009 8:33 PM

Apr 2007
lol Garrod's voice really surprised me at first. I wasn't expecting it to be...like that. Anyway this was an interesting first episode. Now to watch the next one~
Jun 10, 2011 10:08 AM

May 2008
Great first episode I think and Tiffa is an interesting female lead. I can't see her whining and crying over stupid things. And also Garrod is an apt guy.
The opening is awsome and I like the ending song too. I really don't have anything to complain in this episode. Even Nakai Kazuya in it, I have to like this :D
Watching this after the UC. Gundams is refreshing~
Dec 10, 2011 9:44 AM

Jul 2010
I really like the leads of this one, but oh my that was a lot of colonies that dropped.
Jun 28, 2012 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm, am I the only one who wasn't impressed?

The post-apocalyptic theme was interesting and poignant, but soon after the history lesson, the show degraded into average shounen mecha. The heroine was also a typical 'mysterious girl with powers who everyone is after' archetype that was common in the 1980-1990s shows, and didn't interest me like the other Gundam heroines.

However, Shinji Takamatsu is a talented director with a knack for comedy, and he succeeded in making this first episode watchable despite the unimpressive writing. The protagonist was also different from the other Gundam leads, and his goofiness kind of grew on me as the episode progressed (maybe also thanks to the director's knack for comedy). I intend to give this four more episode and then I'll decide whether to continue or not. Hope it gets better.
removed-userJun 28, 2012 11:18 AM
Dec 24, 2012 6:50 AM

Jun 2012
I'm surprised to how he main character was able to know that much of Mobile Suits being too young. Well, it's Gundam :P

Very nice story! It's like a alternative future to the UC series. I'm very curious to see how it continues! Maybe Tiffa is some kind of Oracle wich says where the Gundams are. Well, that's just a guess.
Feb 23, 2013 6:55 AM

Sep 2010
Wow thats a lot of colonies being dropped at the same time kinda a miracle there was still life after that.

Loved the first episode and the male lead is pretty cool so far. Also the guy with sunglasses looks pretty hot. xD

Also loved how the preview was being played with the ending, but I see it being spoilerific as it gets more into the story cause of how lengthy it is which I hope it don't.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 27, 2013 7:52 AM

Aug 2013
For the first five minutes it was really good but right after that little kid showed off and took out the mobile suit, the show just went downhill with many logic gaps to follow.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Sep 14, 2013 12:37 AM

May 2011
well, he's Garrod Ran-sama! Hijacks an MS with only a 9mm and a home made flashbang, steals a veteran most prized possession, hijacks a Gundam, destroys an army and put his girlfriend into coma.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Sep 14, 2013 4:44 PM

Aug 2013
If the last line is spoilers you really should have hidden it or something. Characters really shouldn't be showing off how awesome the writers think they are, that's pretty generic and lazy writing.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Aug 27, 2014 2:41 PM

Sep 2011
I really loved this episode, the pacing was nice and steady without jumping in too quickly but rather moving at a well directed pace to set everything up, main character is instantly likable, the premise and backstory are outstanding, and the whole thing really felt enjoyable all around for me

For now it looks like i will really be enjoying this series.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 17, 2014 11:13 AM

Jun 2012
Reminds me a bit of wing, but with duo as lead mc. im pretty sure ill like this.

chillock said:
If the last line is spoilers you really should have hidden it or something.
It is a spoiler but it happens in the 2nd ep so at least its not a major spoiler.
Sol_OuNov 17, 2014 3:03 PM
Feb 7, 2015 7:40 AM

Jul 2010
Well off to a good start, I like the personality on this MC.
Nov 6, 2015 9:58 PM

Apr 2011
I watch this back in the late 9's. After more than a decade I'm gonna watch this a 2nd time. it feels good and nostalgic watching this classic gundam series. Not to mention the ending song is beautiful. Tiffa has been one my favorite female characters and one of my anime crushes. We're on to a good start.
MagitoNov 6, 2015 10:01 PM
Dec 9, 2015 3:20 PM
Oct 2015
Ah, After War Gundam X. First watched this about ten years ago, and I watched it again many times since. Favoritw gundam show, and Garrod and Tiffa are my favourite couple, not just in Gundam, but in any anime. And they’re both my favourite male and female gundam protagonists respectively.

It’s really a damn shame that they couldn’t deliver the whole story as they had planned though, and even if I still think it’s good, I can’t help but wonder what it would have been like if the show had not been cut short.

As for the episode, I think it does a good job in introducing Garrod. And having watched U.C. gundam shows before this, I immediately zoomed in on what they were doing with the back story and setting, and loved it. When it comes to Jamil (The Captain dude wit the 70’s shades), I actually tough he was a bad guy at first. Couldn’t have been more wrong.

If you’re reading this, and you liked the first episode, I recommend that you continue it. It’s not your usual gundam show by any means, but I think that plays favourably here.
Feb 4, 2020 2:44 PM

Jun 2015
This is like a reboot of Gundam 0079. Now with a post-war theme. And Tiffa might be a newtype.
Nov 23, 2021 1:42 PM

Oct 2013
Such a great start! MC and Tiffa already have great chemistry and the rest of the cast looks promising (looking at you, brown-haired Char).

On a sidenote: Tiffa's VA, Mika Kanai, uses her Satoko Hojo voice when she has to sound scared. Cursed.
Jan 16, 2023 11:47 PM

Feb 2015
I wonder how many people watch this as a standalone and not as part of watching through the entire franchise.

Anyway I have no idea what to expect from these older Gundam shows anymore. Usually my opinion of them changes completely when I'm about halfway through the series lol.
Jan 17, 2023 6:09 AM

Jan 2008
A better first episode than the last several chronological Gundam shows. I didn't like the main kid's voice acting though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 29, 2023 4:13 AM

Jan 2020
Just from this episode alone, I completely liked Garrod's character. XD
Nov 6, 2023 2:23 AM

Jul 2017
I liked this first episode, and i love the premise of the show.
After the garbage that Gundam Wing was, i think this will look like a masterpiece compared to that
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Mar 16, 6:49 PM
Jul 2023
off to a great start. hopefully it holds up

More topics from this board

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 5 Discussion

DonKangolJones - May 24, 2009

10 by Awesomepants25 »»
Mar 6, 9:48 PM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - May 24, 2009

11 by Awesomepants25 »»
Mar 6, 9:36 PM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 39 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 5, 2009

48 by Neemesis_2 »»
Nov 16, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 38 Discussion

11 by Neemesis_2 »»
Nov 16, 2023 6:19 AM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 37 Discussion

9 by Neemesis_2 »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.