Forum Settings
Forums

What do you like better? (Light novels or Manga)

New
What do you like better?
Mar 20, 2010 6:02 PM
Dec 2009
I am wondering what people like better, Light novels or Manga?

I personally like light novels better because they tend to give more details such as thoughts (a la Kyon's sarcasm in the haruhi novels (I own both that are English) ), setting, also with light novels you also get more character interactions because it does not have to fit to a magazine's limits.

One more question, where can you find, (other than that bakatsuki site) can you find light novels that have been translated into English?
bookkid900Mar 20, 2010 10:04 PM
Mar 20, 2010 6:54 PM

Mar 2009
Generally, manga because I'm an avid manga reader lol. Also, because you get to see the characters' facial expressions etc.

It depends though. I've read some chapters of the Haruhi light novel and I think it's pretty good and much more detailed than in the manga (which I read 1 chapter of).

Uh.. I only know that site you mentioned.
Mar 20, 2010 9:12 PM

Dec 2009
honestly i find that light novels can get a lot deeper into explanations of things, descriptions as well sometimes a deeper story. manga cant really go into descriptions or an extremely deep story because most people dont want to read a lot when they read manga so this is a plus i find when reading light novels.

manga on the other hand has a lot more art (obviously ) so its nice to have pictures which can add a lot to your experience when reading it. action scenes for example can really add more to an experience rather than just a description by words. so, while it cant go into the level of detail that light novels can with words, the pictures usually make up for it.

as for my personal opinion, i prefer manga because of the art (im an artist myself) so the visual aspect really draws me to manga. but reading light novels is a really great change of pace sometimes, and can sometimes be even more engaging than manga.
Mar 20, 2010 10:04 PM

Jul 2008
Isn't this like asking what people like more; books or comics? Why not enjoy both?
Mar 22, 2010 8:47 AM

Mar 2008
Both are just too different.. but i'd prefer reading comedy/parody or anything action pack in manga.. because there are things that can only be done with pictures.. but story wise, i'd go for light novel even though it's really longer to read and stuff...(and i've only started reading light novel not long ago)
Why I am so lazy to make a sig...
Mar 22, 2010 9:33 AM

Nov 2009
I'd say light novels are better for the same reasons posted here. Additionally, words are able to convey thoughts and emotions way better than any drawing could do, and reading something instead of watching can enable the reader to warp the scenery and events to any way he/she likes it to be. You could use your imagination to see the characters the way you'd want them to be etc. Manga and comics tend to be quite shallow in comparison.

So yeah, light novels ftw.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Mar 24, 2010 12:19 PM

Jul 2008
Light novels, which there is a severe lack of translated into English. I like manga a lot, but I prefer books over everything. Many light novels have illustrations anyway so it's all good. Though truthfully, when I'm reading light novels I'm picturing the story unfolding in live action, not in 2D - which is probably why I like them more. The only reason I'd ever learn Japanese would be to read light novels, lol. Unless anyone knows another language light novels are frequently translated into? Please say Hungarian.

Unfortunately, bakatsuki is all I can think of unless you count official translations. There aren't many of those either though, and a high percentage of those are BL for some reason...

BEGINNER
Mar 24, 2010 11:37 PM

Mar 2008
YoungVagabond said:
Isn't this like asking what people like more; books or comics? Why not enjoy both?
While comparing two different mediums generally brings little meaningful conversation, asking which someone likes more just becomes a question of preference rather than objective comparison, which works, I guess.

Anyway, though in Western writings I prefer novels to graphic novels pretty much exclusively, I find light novels generally lack most of the things that make novels... good. Light novelists usually haven't studied Letters and their work generally reflects it. Despite the substantial progression of Japanese literature over the last few centuries, mirroring (albeit more slowly and less expansive) that of Western writing, light novels disregard their prose predecessors to such an extent that they just seem like manga without the pretty art/characters, fanservice, creativity, &c. Light novelists' work have given me the impression that they're often just manga fans who happen to prefer words to pictures, their work becoming archetyp(ic)al genre fiction that manages presents both Western and otaku cliché in ostensibly creative ways. Yes, there might be the occasional standout - Kino, from what I'm told; NHK was comparatively good - but for the most part, light novels are still just redone manga plots without the pretty art/characters/fanservice/creativity/&c.
On the other hand, manga, as a much older medium, has had time to both progress and expand. Despite older manga already being the brainchild of only the most creative men of a repressed generation, it has further grown to attract demographics ranging from the youngest of readers to the most aged of the modern generation, the most feminine of the fairer sex to the most virile of men, those looking for simple entertainment to intellectual stimulation (I say this somewhat hesitantly), and, more importantly, any combination thereof.

Perhaps in three decades' time light novels will have progressed to become as viable a medium as manga (which, sadly, isn't a particularly notable feat :v), but in the meantime it's difficult to perceive them as anything but pieces of pandering genre fiction without any real depth of impression or experience.
Mar 24, 2010 11:40 PM

Jan 2010
qtipbrit said:
YoungVagabond said:
While comparing two different mediums generally brings little meaningful conversation, asking which someone likes more just becomes a question of preference rather than objective comparison, which works, I guess.

Anyway, though in Western writings I prefer novels to graphic novels pretty much exclusively, I find light novels generally lack most of the things that make novels... good. Light novelists usually haven't studied Letters and their work generally reflects it. Despite the substantial progression of Japanese literature over the last few centuries, mirroring (albeit more slowly and less expansive) that of Western writing, light novels disregard their prose predecessors to such an extent that they just seem like manga without the pretty art/characters, fanservice, creativity, &c. Light novelists' work have given me the impression that they're often just manga fans who happen to prefer words to pictures, their work becoming archetyp(ic)al genre fiction that manages presents both Western and otaku cliché in ostensibly creative ways. Yes, there might be the occasional standout - Kino, from what I'm told; NHK was comparatively good - but for the most part, light novels are still just redone manga plots without the pretty art/characters/fanservice/creativity/&c.
On the other hand, manga, as a much older medium, has had time to both progress and expand. Despite older manga already being the brainchild of only the most creative men of a repressed generation, it has further grown to attract demographics ranging from the youngest of readers to the most aged of the modern generation, the most feminine of the fairer sex to the most virile of men, those looking for simple entertainment to intellectual stimulation (I say this somewhat hesitantly), and, more importantly, any combination thereof.

Perhaps in three decades' time light novels will have progressed to become as viable a medium as manga (which, sadly, isn't a particularly notable feat :v), but in the meantime it's difficult to perceive them as anything but pieces of pandering genre fiction without any real depth of impression or experience.
Quite an extensive post that said it all. The Western book writers have had too many centuries of experience and the light novelist just really can't match them yet. But I do enjoy some light novels as much as I do manga.
Mar 26, 2010 1:41 AM

Jul 2008
qtipbrit said:

From the few little light novels I've read, I would agree.

My favorite is probably the Vampire Hunter D series, which, even making an allowance for the horrid Japanese to English translation (which is less noticeable and important in a manga), is still an action-heavy, often repetitive, amusing fantasy series that would make for an even better manga.

In fact, the anime films, while being slightly watered down versions of the novels, are still masterpieces far superior to their source material, simply because the stories thrive in the film medium more than in the literary one.
Mar 26, 2010 10:04 PM
Dec 2009
werr-y said:
qtipbrit said:
YoungVagabond said:

Quite an extensive post that said it all. The Western book writers have had too many centuries of experience and the light novelist just really can't match them yet. But I do enjoy some light novels as much as I do manga.

You are pretty much right in your opinion, except for a few main points.
A) Light novels are made (mainly) for a readership between the ages of 14 - 19. In regards to that it is like comparing apples to oranges, they are totally different (pictures ys. no pictures) but yet are both fruits (contain text that progress the plot).

B) Your thoughts on how far manga has gone are pretty much right, but in a whole light novels haven't been around as long and have not had the time to evolve/change into a broad genre (comedy vs. fiction) the scale of light novels in this day and age is not that immense but hey are getting better.

C)Also a majority of current anime started as light novels (Haruhi, Toradora, Durarara!, Baccano, Bakemonogatari, so on and so forth). I feel that with light novels you can picture the characters and interactions in your imagination which can be as immense or as dull as you want it to be. Books have stood the test of time against other forms of popular media such as TV, Music, Video, Movies, Internet, etc...
Mar 27, 2010 6:02 PM

Mar 2010
Light novels because they always seem to capture my interest and bring out more emotion, thou I read more Manga then I do Light Novels
Mar 29, 2010 6:30 AM

Jul 2008
bookkid900 said:
Books have stood the test of time against other forms of popular media such as TV, Music, Video, Movies, Internet, etc...

I have no clue what this means. Are you trying to say that "TV, music, video, movie, Internet, etc..." HAVEN'T stood the test of time?

Are you trying to say that books are older than all of those? (Wrong, since music has been around just as long) Also, what is the difference between "Videos" and "TV" and "Movies"? "Videos" is just a more general term that includes the other two.
Mar 29, 2010 11:02 AM

Apr 2009
Manga, but generally because I have a hard time getting my hands on light novels on my local bookstores- so maybe I'm not quite ready to judge this yet ^^" I probably haven't read enough light novels to say, but the few I have seemed decent. Maybe not great, but I don't think they're supposed to be deep and full of meaning- they're really just light lit, like those trashy detective novels you can get in the airport bookstore.
Mar 29, 2010 11:09 AM
Feb 2010
Manga. But I do also like Light Novels. I haven't read many though.
Mar 29, 2010 11:14 AM

Jan 2010
bookkid900 said:
werr-y said:
qtipbrit said:
YoungVagabond said:

You are pretty much right in your opinion, except for a few main points.
A) Light novels are made (mainly) for a readership between the ages of 14 - 19. In regards to that it is like comparing apples to oranges, they are totally different (pictures ys. no pictures) but yet are both fruits (contain text that progress the plot).

B) Your thoughts on how far manga has gone are pretty much right, but in a whole light novels haven't been around as long and have not had the time to evolve/change into a broad genre (comedy vs. fiction) the scale of light novels in this day and age is not that immense but hey are getting better.

C)Also a majority of current anime started as light novels (Haruhi, Toradora, Durarara!, Baccano, Bakemonogatari, so on and so forth). I feel that with light novels you can picture the characters and interactions in your imagination which can be as immense or as dull as you want it to be. Books have stood the test of time against other forms of popular media such as TV, Music, Video, Movies, Internet, etc...
I never said I didn't like light novels or anything of the sort. I even prefer books/LN to manga, because they are much more expressive and detailed.

YoungVagabond said:
bookkid900 said:
Books have stood the test of time against other forms of popular media such as TV, Music, Video, Movies, Internet, etc...

I have no clue what this means. Are you trying to say that "TV, music, video, movie, Internet, etc..." HAVEN'T stood the test of time?

Are you trying to say that books are older than all of those? (Wrong, since music has been around just as long) Also, what is the difference between "Videos" and "TV" and "Movies"? "Videos" is just a more general term that includes the other two.
TV = TV series, Movies = the ones released on the big screen, Videos = the ones you see on youtube.

And well, bookkid has a point. Books have been around for millennium and are still a form of art, while the cinematographic industry has been around for less than a century and is already failing. Each year the movies they make are worse and worse, with no point or meaning to them whatsoever...
Mar 29, 2010 11:15 PM

Jul 2008
werr-y said:

YoungVagabond said:
bookkid900 said:

TV = TV series, Movies = the ones released on the big screen, Videos = the ones you see on youtube.

You don't get it, do you? TV and Movies ARE Videos. They're one and the same. It's like saying "Books" and "Novels" are different forms of media.

werr-y said:

And well, bookkid has a point. Books have been around for millennium and are still a form of art, while the cinematographic industry has been around for less than a century and is already failing. Each year the movies they make are worse and worse, with no point or meaning to them whatsoever...

This is just stupid and wrong. In terms of revenue and popularity, movies are more popular in 2010 than they have ever been. In terms of quality, there have plenty of masterpieces released in the last few years.

And it's funny because if you asked people that read contemporary fiction, they would all tell you that literature is dying, since fewer people read nowadays, books are in severe decline, and there are fewer top-notch authors nowadays to pick up the slack.
Mar 30, 2010 1:01 AM

Jan 2010
YoungVagabond said:

You don't get it, do you? TV and Movies ARE Videos. They're one and the same. It's like saying "Books" and "Novels" are different forms of media.

Lol, they are... And anyway, he was just listing, I don't see why you had to pick up on him...
YoungVagabond said:

This is just stupid and wrong. In terms of revenue and popularity, movies are more popular in 2010 than they have ever been. In terms of quality, there have plenty of masterpieces released in the last few years.

And it's funny because if you asked people that read contemporary fiction, they would all tell you that literature is dying, since fewer people read nowadays, books are in severe decline, and there are fewer top-notch authors nowadays to pick up the slack.
The fact that less and less people read books doesn't mean books are getting bad, but that humans are getting stupid. After all humans are the ones who read and write those books, so if they lose interest, the books' industry falters. BUT regarding the movies, as you said, they are more and more popular nowadays, though that means nothing. If pop folk is popular, that doesn't make it good. If suicide is popular (common) among a certain group of people, that doesn't make it good. Are you trying to tell me movies like Avatar are master pieces? Or Public Enemies? ...
Mar 30, 2010 1:21 AM

Jul 2008
werr-y said:
YoungVagabond said:

Lol, they are... And anyway, he was just listing, I don't see why you had to pick up on him...

I was asking him what he thought the differences were, since he listed them as separate media. Rather than assume, I like to ask a person directly.

werr-y said:

YoungVagabond said:

The fact that less and less people read books doesn't mean books are getting bad, but that humans are getting stupid. After all humans are the ones who read and write those books, so if they lose interest, the books' industry falters.

This might be true, but the point is, books ARE generally declining in quality. If that's the case, then by your reasoning, doesn't that mean books are "failing", too?

werr-y said:

BUT regarding the movies, as you said, they are more and more popular nowadays, though that means nothing. If pop folk is popular, that doesn't make it good. If suicide is popular (common) among a certain group of people, that doesn't make it good. Are you trying to tell me movies like Avatar are master pieces? Or Public Enemies? ...

No, but I will tell you that movies like Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The Dark Knight, Up in the Air, Maison en Petit Cubes, Burn after Reading, Revolutionary Road, Tropic Thunder, Moon, The Damned United, and many others, all released in the last two years, were outstanding.

Any time I hear someone complaining about the lack of good films, the problem turns out to be that they only pay attention to one or two major blockbusters released each year, instead of trying to search for true quality in the media, regardless of how many trailers play for it on television, or whether it's foreign or Hollywood.

With that approach, you would assume all books are crap because it's all memoirs, self-help books, and bullshit politics among the top bestsellers, right?
Mar 30, 2010 4:24 AM

Oct 2008
I look for the story in each. I don't care in what form a story or any idea comes in as long as it's good. There are times when I wish a manga was a light novel instead specially if the drawings weren't good.
I wouldn't say timeless but light novels don't age as fast as mangas because text is a primary aspect of story-telling. That is in the case of light novels that uses too many artworks.
Mar 30, 2010 5:25 AM
Mar 2010
I'm a big fan of light novels doing well, but I'm a little sketchy on the idea that they should be ranked with the manga. Read Brave Story; it easily deserves to be on YA best-sellers along with the mainstream stuff.
Mar 30, 2010 5:26 AM

Jan 2010
I sleep infront of plain text so I need some type of graphic novel to read such as manga.
Books just don't get me excited, I don't feel emotion people talk about ._.

I almost died reading the Hobit.

I've barely read any light novels ever.
Manga no probs just gimme some semi-decent art.
Mar 30, 2010 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
For me, it depends on the genre.
For action/adventure type, I would prefer manga but for romance/tragedy type, I would chose light novel instead.
Jun 17, 2016 10:53 AM
Jun 2016
teanut said:
I'd say light novels are better for the same reasons posted here. Additionally, words are able to convey thoughts and emotions way better than any drawing could do, and reading something instead of watching can enable the reader to warp the scenery and events to any way he/she likes it to be. You could use your imagination to see the characters the way you'd want them to be etc. Manga and comics tend to be quite shallow in comparison.

ok, word can not, nor ever will be able to express true creativity, imagination, or potential like art. Painting, photography, sculpturing, and drawing show true and fresh, new ideas in the world compared to a bunch of letters arranged. Words can't express imagination at all in any,even if they try to use meanings. Hell, people who read novels are too stupid, despite the fact they read something full of useless, made up, primitive expression, which is what all novels are, that the word "imagination" has "image" in it, which refers to picture mainly. So their wrong about novels providing imagination.
Jun 17, 2016 11:00 AM
Jun 2016
adamantine said:
Light novels, which there is a severe lack of translated into English. I like manga a lot, but I prefer books over everything. Many light novels have illustrations anyway so it's all good. Though truthfully, when I'm reading light novels I'm picturing the story unfolding in live action, not in 2D - which is probably why I like them more. The only reason I'd ever learn Japanese would be to read light novels, lol. Unless anyone knows another language light novels are frequently translated into? Please say Hungarian.

Unfortunately, bakatsuki is all I can think of unless you count official translations. There aren't many of those either though, and a high percentage of those are BL for some reason...
I prefer anything with animation or visional caption, such as video games or cartoon shows, over most books. Novels are all words, and words will never be to express imagination. Pictures have that job. Plus novels are wasting prefect good paper
Jun 17, 2016 11:05 AM
Jun 2016
p=;
Zaptrap said:
teanut said:

ok, word can not, nor ever will be able to express true creativity, imagination, or potential like art. Painting, photography, sculpturing, and drawing show true and fresh, new ideas in the world compared to a bunch of letters arranged. Words can't express imagination at all in any,even if they try to use meanings. Hell, people who read novels are too stupid, despite the fact they read something full of useless, made up, primitive expression, which is what all novels are, that the word "imagination" has "image" in it, which refers to picture mainly. So their wrong about novels providing imagination.
teanut said:

seriously, hasnt the old quote, "a picture is worth a thousand words", mean anything?
Jun 17, 2016 11:05 AM

Dec 2011
Zaptrap said:

...What the hell did I just read?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 17, 2016 11:51 AM

Jul 2015
Well, I only read one LN, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, and it's by far my favourite story in general.

If we were to compare them, I suppose LN are better in general because they have can go a lot deeper in explanations, details... they also don't have the page limitations than manga has for their way to be published, and in general I just think that they have more freedom in creating complex stories.

I can't really say which one is better due to my lack of experience in both, but I think that a well done LN will be superior to a well done manga thanks to said advantages, but manga is probably the most accessible of the two because they don't take that much time to read, and the drawings are always great for entertainment, even if the LN can use their ones to make an important scene way more impactful because they are mainly used for key moments.
Jun 17, 2016 12:37 PM

May 2014
Personally I prefer reading manga:)))
^-^
Jun 18, 2016 4:47 PM

Jan 2013
I love both, can't really decide.
I heavily read both, although that doesn't show on my MAL lmao
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2016 9:31 PM

May 2014
Manga, because i generally dislike reading books. :/
Jun 21, 2016 7:41 PM

Oct 2015
Personally, I like Light Novels more. Although, my collection is about 50/50. I just like the fact that LN leave some up for interpretation in my head whereas manga it displays the scene and seems to give me less to grasp.

Also, the fact that LN take me longer to finish. I dislike spending 10-14$ for an hour or two worth of reading... even though I do drop money quite often on manga.
Jun 21, 2016 11:02 PM

Dec 2015
Manga because u will understand more of the story when u see what the characters' expression are and the setting.
Jun 22, 2016 3:35 PM

Jul 2015
I really want to read Light Novels because there are certain ones that sound really good, but I really need to be able to visualize it. I'm not a big reader, so that's why manga helps with the drawings. So manga > Light Novels, but I really wanna try Light Novels, but I just can't :C

caught in the wonder
Jun 22, 2016 4:41 PM

Jul 2014
Visal novels > Anime > Manga > Real novels > Syphilis > Light novels
Oct 6, 2023 9:41 PM
Jun 2019
Id prefer manga because i can feel the emotions and the faces they make when talking of all the characters ..and i never got bored on manga than reading LN but this is just for me..
Oct 7, 2023 1:04 AM

Jan 2023
Mangas and Light Novels bring different experiences, I don't think you can really compare them, they have different qualities (and flaws) in my opinion :)
Oct 7, 2023 4:02 PM

Jan 2023
I honestly can’t pick, I love them both and I’m trying to speed more into manga and light novels.

I really like to imagine scenes while reading LNs since that’s just how I visualize things while manga can be a really fun read or a deeper harder hitting read depending on the topic and contents of the manga itself.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Oct 8, 2023 8:25 AM

Feb 2021
I prefer light novels, there's just more you can do with narrative and dialogue when you are not stuck with those speech boxes.
Oct 8, 2023 11:43 PM

Mar 2022
Neither, I think visual novels is the superior medium of storytelling, as it combines the best aspects of a lot of other mediums.
Oct 16, 2023 10:03 AM

Jul 2013
I prefer manga to light novels and light novels are a breeding ground of cringey, millennial writing.

Scrapped Princess is cool because it was written by an old guy with real imagination and not some millennial in his Mom's basement cashing in on isekai, softcore porn, etc. Copying and pasting on generic genres for teen pandering profit.

Unfortunately for manga, it also suffers from cringey millennial writing too. Only a celibate millennial would come with edgy manga like Attack On Titan or Oshi no Ko.
Oct 16, 2023 4:39 PM

Aug 2010
Manga, I've only ever read a handful of light novels.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1042 by codelyok13 »»
1 hour ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - 2 hours ago

0 by codelyok13 »»
2 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

17 by Oofmastre9000 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Today, 8:38 AM

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.