Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 16, 2010 3:09 PM

Mar 2007
No longer available!

Starting this season, players are able to use the Fantasy Anime League managing application or FAL app for short. With it, you're able to manage your team, check up on the rankings and generate graphs based on current and past season data.

You can check it out over here: http://www.falfiles.co.cc

As a player you're free to either use the application or to use the old fashioned way of submitting your changes (like PM'ing FALbot or posting in the swaps thread). If you register for the FAL app, you're also still free to use the traditional methods of managing your team.

The FAL app completely elliminates the need to PM FALbot or post in the swaps thread. It will also provide you the most up-to-date info available.
The current features are:
  • Making your team
  • Editing your team (before registration ends)
  • Changing your username
  • Declaring an ace
  • Performing bench swaps
  • Submitting your wildcard request
  • Generating the current and old rankings
  • Generating the current and old weekly performances
  • Generating various graphs based on the current and old seasons

Note that this is still a work in progress and it might still have bugs. Some features still need to be tweaked and will be fixed as time goes by, but I should have it all done before it's needed.

Current version: v5.42

Known issues

Problem: When I access the site, I see an image, but nothing's happening.

Problem: The application is slow or sometimes just hangs.

Problem: I can't add focus to textfields/I can't write anything in textfields/keyboard actions are completely ignored.

Problem: The applet doesn't work on Google Chrome.

Problem: I seem to be running an older version/I still see bugs that were reported to be fixed

Feel free to use this thread to post your comments, questions, bug reports and suggestions. ^_^
kuroshiroiMar 25, 2012 1:10 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2010 6:16 PM

Jan 2009
Just got the app, looks cool and useful. Still working on my team for this year. Predicted 8th and finished in the 40's because 2 of my teams were awful so I couldn't replace Inuyasha after a few weeks =(

And I know about some of the mistakes I made last year (1st time playing) that I won't make again.

edit

And the app does work in Google Chrome, for me anyway. And is there a way to save the app so we don't have to open it through the internet all the time?
Mar 16, 2010 8:17 PM

Mar 2007
Oh, I'm not saying it won't work for everyone with google chrome, but during the testing phase there were some problems with someone trying to use the FAL app on google chrome and a google search told me that there are some problems with google chrome and java. So that's why I decided to add it to the known issues. :)

Well to be honest, the FAL app is technically an appletation (applet + application) and I did start developing it as an application, but.........I've made a few changes that can only be used with the application version and not with the applet, so I'm reluctant to give out the link for the installers. They're not big things, but yeah... ^_^;;
If there's a large demand for it, I'll figure something out and modify it so people can also decide to download it. :)
Mar 17, 2010 1:09 AM

May 2008
cool... can tell a lot of time and effort went into this. The interface might be improved in places, but it looks quite nice overall. Only had a short time to play with it this evening, but I'll with it a bit more when I get a chance.

I am a banana.
Mar 17, 2010 3:45 AM

Jan 2009
Boursk said:
Well to be honest, the FAL app is technically an appletation (applet + application) and I did start developing it as an application, but.........I've made a few changes that can only be used with the application version and not with the applet, so I'm reluctant to give out the link for the installers.

Ok, it's not a big deal to install it was just wondering if you were supposed to. Looks cool though, especially with the graphs and statistics.
Mar 17, 2010 6:49 AM

Mar 2008
No I fail!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2010 7:49 AM
Dec 2007
Nicely done! Looks very useful .. especially for a first timer like me xD
Mar 17, 2010 10:28 AM

Mar 2007
v5.01 update;

A bug where players couldn't edit their teams in the registration period has been fixed.
Mar 17, 2010 11:14 AM

Oct 2007
Can't add teams to my list in the 'Add Team' section of 'Team Management'. Using Firefox. Tried double clicking, pushing enter, pushing arrow keys and clicking in the blank part.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Mar 17, 2010 11:16 AM

Mar 2007
Did you try dragging the anime to where you want it?
Mar 17, 2010 11:41 AM

Jun 2009
Boursk said:
v5.01 update;

A bug where players couldn't edit their teams in the registration period has been fixed.

Ahahha lol. I deleted and re-added the team 3 times because I couldn't edit it. I thought that it was intended that way, since I couldn't edit nothing but the name XD
Mar 17, 2010 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
Boursk said:
Did you try dragging the anime to where you want it?

Obviously not ^_^

Would have been nice if you had mentioned it somewhere, either in the app or in your main post =_='

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Mar 17, 2010 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
What if that's all I can see after logging in?:

My system specs:

EDIT: Java Console logs:
http://wklej.org/id/298911/

This:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-1" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.Metacity

can be fixed by either redesigning the interface, or be simply removing
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());

from FAL.model.FAL
vytahMar 17, 2010 2:25 PM
Mar 17, 2010 9:21 PM

Feb 2008
Love the app except it puts the graphs I made in excel to shame, lol. you must have spent alot of time on it. it looks and works great.
Mar 17, 2010 10:29 PM

Mar 2007
v5.02 update;

* Added tooltips to the add team screen to point out the drag and drop
* Fixed another issue that disabled players to edit their valid team
* Made a quick fix for linux users who default to the metacity LAF

Sorry about that vytah. Java may support multiplatforming, but I obviously can't personally test if things work on every platform. Everything is optimized for windows, so I appreciate it if people tell me what's going wrong. :)
You should get the java default look and feel now, which still seems to have some layout problems, since the text is considerably larger there. Considering it's a default LAF, I should've fixed that long ago. >.>
Though I think for now that's a relatively minor problem and everything should still be functional and obvious as to what everything is. I'll get to it though. :)
BourskMar 17, 2010 11:19 PM
Mar 18, 2010 2:00 AM

Mar 2007
v5.03 update;

* Yet another fix was added to the edit team screen. -_-

Hopefully the last edit I need to do on that screen. And this time I properly tested it after my large update before the launch, so it should work now. >.<
Mar 18, 2010 7:38 AM

Mar 2008
lol the app was very buggy to begin with... but now it seems to work fine ^^

great work Boursk ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2010 8:07 AM

Mar 2007
v5.04 update;

* Added an admin feature
* FAL app will now search for your team at login in case you registered with FALbot (already did so at registration)
Mar 18, 2010 8:22 AM

Mar 2008
Well, now it fails to update.
Error log: http://pastebin.com/15mS97XE

Using Opera 10.10 on Linux and
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.6) (fedora-30.b16.fc11-i386)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Mar 18, 2010 8:54 AM

Mar 2007
I know the chance is very small, but I'm 99% sure you tried to use the FAL app in the few seconds I was uploading the last update. Please try again and tell me if it's still not working. :)
Mar 18, 2010 9:24 AM

Mar 2008
Nope, still same problem.
It asks if you want to update to 5.04?
If I click yes it gives error.

Any idea where it stores the app so I can update it manually?

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Mar 18, 2010 9:51 AM

Mar 2007
Alright. In that case you still have the old version loaded. Come to think of it, I noticed you're using opera, I've noticed it tends to do that.

Try clearing your cache and temporary internet data. Close the browser and make sure java is not running anymore (kill the process if necessary). Then try to visit the FAL app site again. It should work then.
Mar 20, 2010 4:31 PM
Mar 2009
Ok, I can't even get past the original login phase, a tutorial could be helpful for the noobs like me who have no idea why Java is asking for a login as well.

Mar 20, 2010 11:58 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
chinlamp said:
Ok, I can't even get past the original login phase, a tutorial could be helpful for the noobs like me who have no idea why Java is asking for a login as well.
Java asking for a log in? You need to give you MAL information to the app when creating your account so that the FAL app can verify your username. Perhaps this is where you were confused?
Mar 21, 2010 3:09 PM
Mar 2009
Kineta said:
chinlamp said:
Java asking for a log in? You need to give you MAL information to the app when creating your account so that the FAL app can verify your username. Perhaps this is where you were confused?

I gave that, and then Java had another popup. I have no idea why, but failing to put it in there said that it was invalid.

Mar 21, 2010 3:29 PM

Nov 2008
Boursk said:
* Made a quick fix for linux users who default to the metacity LAF

Nah, doesn't work. I still got GTK in v5.04. And of course, still doesn't work.

It doesn't work because default look'n'feel on Linux is com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel, it doesn't have metacity in its name.
My solution proposal: replace
if (!(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName().contains("metacity"))) {
}

with
if (!(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName().contains("gtk"))) {
}
else{
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getCrossPlatformLookAndFeelClassName());
}

PS. Sorry for decompiling ;)
Mar 21, 2010 3:44 PM

Mar 2007
chinlamp said:
Kineta said:
chinlamp said:

I gave that, and then Java had another popup. I have no idea why, but failing to put it in there said that it was invalid.
That basically means you entered the wrong username and/or password. It's not going to work, unless you enter your actual MAL username and password in the registration screen.

@vitah

Yeah I noticed after I started with my update (since I can't help but keep looking around for this bug). And had it fixed here for when I update again (can't update while I'm doing this large update). -_-

I noticed you were decompiling my code in your last post and I can't say I'm quite pleased with that without asking permission, but I guess it can't be helped. :(

Not that I think it would help a lot, but maybe you could try updating java to 1.6.0_18? It's just that I only see problems with this pre 2007, so I dunno what the deal with this is. :S

Also for everyone, please remember that the FAL app is still under maintenance! Don't add your team or make any changes until the next update please.
Mar 26, 2010 3:09 AM
Jan 2010
im using firefox and it wont even come up.
i mean like ok when the tab pops up it says problem loading page and it has the little try again button but it still wont work..
what do i do?
Mar 26, 2010 5:00 PM

Oct 2009
I use explorer and google doesn't even recognize it as a page. ^^'
Mar 26, 2010 9:19 PM

Mar 2010
Its keeps bringing up a pic and nothing else. I have java enabled and its still doing the same thing.
Mar 27, 2010 6:21 AM

Mar 2007
v5.10 update;

* Various background additions/modifications and admin functions.

The old host seems to be dead, so I also moved falfiles.co.cc to a new host.
Mar 27, 2010 6:52 AM

Feb 2010
oh.. my java thing is stuck at 14%... at getting users... any way to fix it?

Mar 27, 2010 8:51 AM

Jan 2009
I just registered with the FALbot because the FAL app wouldn't let me make my team. I went to the FAL app, it loaded fine, I clicked the add a team, but when I selected a team to start making it, nothing would happen and it only let me select one at a time.

I tried on Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and had the same problem

Oh, when I started the app, it said an error occurred and since I'm using the web version, it said to tell you my Java stuf.

I'm using Java 6 Standard Edition, Update 17 (build 1.6._17-b04)
Java Console:

P.S.
You can download the app now? How?
Meh_93Mar 27, 2010 8:56 AM
Mar 27, 2010 8:54 AM

Jul 2009
Error message:
Unfortunately an error occurred.:(

If you are using the web version please check out your java console and send that to Boursk.

I'm not sure but I think this is the java console:
Mar 27, 2010 8:57 AM

Mar 2007
Guys, please check the main club page. It was still on maintenance mode. ^_^;;

Everything should be fixed now.
Mar 27, 2010 9:00 AM

Feb 2008
Both of these issues should be fixed now, i.e. Drag 'n' Drop works and that error is gone.

Too slow. Well played, Boursk and good job.
Mar 27, 2010 9:07 AM

Feb 2010
it wont let me make a team... every time i try it says team already exists... Even when i try random ones.

EDIT: Nevermind it worked...

Mar 27, 2010 9:10 AM

Jan 2009
Boursk said:
Guys, please check the main club page. It was still on maintenance mode. ^_^;;

Everything should be fixed now.

Ok, I'll see again. I saw the maintenance mode, but I though maybe you hadn't deleted that because of the mass message you sent.

But if I go now, would it say I already have a team because I registered with FALbot, or will it take a few hours before it realizes that?

Never mind, it was instant.
Mar 27, 2010 9:17 AM

Mar 2007
More specific; the moment someone of the FAL staff adds your team, it will be bound to your FAL account the next time you login. :)
Mar 27, 2010 9:30 AM

Jan 2009
And when it was under maintenance before, it said "If you're using the downloaded version...."

Where can/ if you can, download the FAL app?
Mar 27, 2010 8:57 PM

Jun 2009
I hope I was able to make it in time! I have 4min till midnight here! >,<

I've never done this before, but it sounds like fun!
Mar 28, 2010 6:14 AM

Nov 2008
Finally works under Linux.
I like that statistics-thingy.
Mar 29, 2010 7:46 PM

Mar 2007
v5.11 update;

* Did lots of layout changes, which should display everything properly for linux and mac users.
* Fixed a bug that somehow removed the welcome text on the main menu
* Fixed a bug that's been around for a while and didn't really do much, as it only happened when you exit before logging in.
Apr 4, 2010 3:00 PM

Mar 2007
v5.15 update;

* This should be the last layout update this time for optimizing the FAL app for linux users
* Updated the scores for counting and rankings. The next update (coming real soon), should deal with the graphs.
Apr 4, 2010 7:04 PM

May 2007
??? It says I'm banned from the FAL app! Why? ;_;

Apr 4, 2010 11:38 PM

Mar 2007
v5.20 update;

* Updated the statistics screen with the new score system
* Lots of misc. bug fixing
Apr 7, 2010 2:31 AM

Dec 2006
I can't load FAL it always gets stuck at "Getting Users" 14%.

Apr 7, 2010 3:25 AM

Mar 2007
There doesn't seem to be anyone else with that problem and I can't reproduce it, so I can only assume it has something to do with your setup. It might help to clear your cache and to try again.

Also, it might help giving it a little time. I don't know if you just tried to start it up and didn't see it moving after 5 seconds and gave up. When it's trying to retrieve the users, it's making its first database connection. These connections can be really slow in case you're downloading stuff and whatnot.

Finally, I'm really glad you're showing off the FAL banner in your signature, but MAL's signature rules state that you signature may not be over 140px high and yours is 180px as it is now. Please reduce your signature size.
Apr 7, 2010 8:41 AM

Dec 2006
Well I left it open for 10 min. and nothing happened, I cleared the cache, updated java, but its still stuck (I'm Using Firefox).

Apr 13, 2010 1:13 PM

Aug 2008
Is FAL program/bot w/e currently down?

Been getting the "Maintenance Mode" message when I try and load it since yesterday.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Week 12: Wildcard/Ace/Swap Reminder & Discussion

Kineta - Mar 24

8 by rafi369 »»
Mar 25, 10:19 AM

» Week 11: Wildcard/Ace/Swap Reminder & Discussion

Kineta - Mar 17

12 by Zoopiez »»
Mar 18, 6:52 PM

» Ace'ing a show with negative points - does it work?

LdoSul - Mar 10

2 by LdoSul »»
Mar 11, 6:04 AM

» Week 10: Wildcard/Ace/Swap Reminder & Discussion

Kineta - Mar 10

4 by KANLen09 »»
Mar 10, 8:16 PM

» Week 9: Ace/Swap Reminder & Discussion

Kineta - Mar 1

11 by eplipswich »»
Mar 4, 7:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.