MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Funimation
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Dance in the Vampire Bund »» Funimation

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
View Poll Results: Does funimation suck?
Yes

5 13.51%
YES

32 86.49%
Voters: 37

08-02-10, 3:02 PM

Goodtimes420 said:
I do agree buyers of North American distributed anime are minorities

Wrong way around kid. People who download fansubs are the minority, not those that buy official releases. The people who buy DVDs are of a much broader demographic, probably have a whole lot more money and other factors than the small percentage of moneyless teenagers who refuse to buy anime.
help protect the video game nerd by increasing my twitter power level, don't succumb to godzilla's ten storey penis !

08-02-10, 5:15 PM

Onibokusu said:
Goodtimes420 said:
I do agree buyers of North American distributed anime are minorities

Wrong way around kid. People who download fansubs are the minority, not those that buy official releases. The people who buy DVDs are of a much broader demographic, probably have a whole lot more money and other factors than the small percentage of moneyless teenagers who refuse to buy anime.

Didn't mean to make seem like I know it's a fact, it's just what it seems like to me, maybe it's just in my neck of the woods, an anime store did a local survey at Sakura Con here in Seattle and 70% of their answers were watching online. But they only had a few hundred answered out all the people that came to Sakura Con. But I never meant to state as I know it as a fact, it just seems like dubs are less popular as their hard to find online as pirated media is based on popularity, the more popular it is the more downloads, seed, and the easier it is to fine. It seems that way anyway, the more it's in demand, the more popular it obviously is.

@Redfoxoffire - There may be some nuances in the many languages, but if you listen to that language for YEARS, and look up things you don't understand, ANYONE CAN LEARN TO UNDERSTAND THOSE DIFFERENCES. I'm not saying I'm an expert, far from it, but I can dam well judge the quality difference in english dub compared to Japanese voice acting in ANIME. Reaction, tone, emotions, to all kinds of situation in anime, and most of all the dubs I've seen fail compared to what Japanese voice acting has done with anime. Remember I'm talking about anime not in general at which language is better.

And again, I'm not saying that english dub is super horrible and it's not improving, all I'm saying its still NOT AS GOOD as the original, maybe if a company capable of hiring good voice actors would make the voice acting much better, but Funimation and similar companies are SMALL compared to other tv/movie companies.

Here is a list of only some of the dubs I tried to watch, I watched about 3-5 eps before i tried out the subs...

Escalfowne, Descendants of Darkness (Yami no Matsuei), Fushigi Yuugi, Earthian, Tokyo Revelation, Tokyo Babylon, Crest of the Stars, .hack//sign, Rurouni Kenshin OAVs, Perfect Blue, Love Hina, Those who Hunt Elves

But some of the english voice acting I did like, Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop, and DBZ.

In the end it is all about personal preference, but all I'm saying is that I'm not an asshole that will go against dubs because I'm supposedly use to subs. I would rather watch and LISTEN then to watch and READ, but bad voice acting just KILLS the characters for me, bad voice acting makes the character ANNOYING for me, that's why I always look for better voice acting.

Redfoxoffire when you search for english dub downloads/torrent do you add in english dub in the search? Because when I search I simply use the animes name, maybe add dvdrip or torrent in a google search, but most if not all the time, subs become the first links and the most used links and english dubs are rarely seen in these searches. But that's just what I see when I search only using the animes title.
Modified by Goodtimes420, 08-02-10, 5:19 PM

08-02-10, 5:54 PM

Goodtimes420 said:
@Redfoxoffire - There may be some nuances in the many languages, but if you listen to that language for YEARS, and look up things you don't understand, ANYONE CAN LEARN TO UNDERSTAND THOSE DIFFERENCES. I'm not saying I'm an expert, far from it, but I can dam well judge the quality difference in english dub compared to Japanese voice acting in ANIME. Reaction, tone, emotions, to all kinds of situation in anime, and most of all the dubs I've seen fail compared to what Japanese voice acting has done with anime. Remember I'm talking about anime not in general at which language is better.

Then, sorry if this offends you, but you're an idiot. You haven't told me you're fluent in Japanese so there's no way you can judge the quality of their voice acting. Emotion? Tone? Please. That shit's easy to do. Anyone can do it. If that was all it took to act, I could be an amazing voice actress.

Here is a list of only some of the dubs I tried to watch, I watched about 3-5 eps before i tried out the subs...

Escalfowne, Descendants of Darkness (Yami no Matsuei), Fushigi Yuugi, Earthian, Tokyo Revelation, Tokyo Babylon, Crest of the Stars, .hack//sign, Rurouni Kenshin OAVs, Perfect Blue, Love Hina, Those who Hunt Elves

As far as I can tell, those are mostly older things, and stuff from before ~2004 is usually pretty hit-or-miss. Of the ones I am familiar with:
RK OVAs: These were okay, but overall not too great.
Perfect Blue: Same as above. I also don't really like Bridget Hoffman's voice.
Love Hina: One of the worst dubs ever. Please don't judge today's dubs with this as an example.

In the end it is all about personal preference, but all I'm saying is that I'm not an asshole that will go against dubs because I'm supposedly use to subs.

If you really thought this you wouldn't be bashing dubs the way you are. You're right, it is all about personal preference. However, the rest of your arguments suggest you don't really believe that.

Redfoxoffire when you search for english dub downloads/torrent do you add in english dub in the search? Because when I search I simply use the animes name, maybe add dvdrip or torrent in a google search, but most if not all the time, subs become the first links and the most used links and english dubs are rarely seen in these searches. But that's just what I see when I search only using the animes title.

The site I use for most of my downloads has pretty clear options for dual audio, so I only have to type in the name. When I can't use that site I can usually find a dual audio torrent without typing "dual audio" without much hassle. Although for every time I do have to type in "dual audio," there's another time where I have to find out who the best subber is and type their name in instead.

08-02-10, 6:39 PM

I'm not fluent yet, but I've Japanese has been in my college course schedule for the last year, like I said I'm no expert in the language. But it doesn't matter if you know the language or not, you can tell when someone is angry, mad, sad, etc. If you don't understand what the person is saying then you just don't know what he's angry angry about. Same goes with voice acting, you act the anger the character is displaying, and I've seen dubs where the person was suppose to act out such an emotion and it sounded like he was just talking in a louder voice, no anger behind it at all. You don't need to understand a language to understand emotion, you just need to know the language on why he is angry. Again, I'm no expert, so if language is such an import aspect to display anger then please explain cause I can tell when someone is angry despite being able to understand what they say or not, same goes for other emotions. But I really want to understand what your trying to say on how I don't know how to properly judge voice acting.

Seriously, if someone is suppose to act angry and just sounds like their talking with a louder voice, that's OBVIOUSLY not good acting, and I've seen a lot of dubs like that in various situations and different emotions.

How would not saying my opinion about english dubs say that I'm not the type of person that like subs only because I'm use to them? How? I'm just simply saying that in my opinion that most anime english dubs don't sound as good as Japanese voice acting in anime. Never said english dubs are not improving, just simply said it's still not as good, they still have plenty of room to catch up with Japanese anime voice acting. Plus I could say the same thing about you, you like dubs cause your use to them, and if English if your 1st language there's possibly even more of favoritism. Along with your way of understanding Japanese to properly judge, voice acting, unless you know it fluently also, you can't say it's worse then dubs. But that don't matter cause understanding the language is understanding what he says, but anyone should be able to know the emotion the person is trying to display, especially with a animated character SHOWING the emotion also.

Most dual adios I see are OGM formats, and MKV, but when there's dual audio usually means it's a dvdrip from North American distributors, or that's what I assume anyway, and I only watch them if I have not choice, but it does give me the opportunity to try out both adios as curiosity usually drives me to trying it out, but in the end I rarely stick with it.

08-02-10, 7:13 PM

You obviously haven't gotten it, so I'll put it in big, bold letters for you:
THERE IS MORE TO ACTING THAN EMOTION.
By your context it would seem English is not even your first language, so you should know very well that different languages work in different ways. Sentences are structured differently, emphasis is put in different areas, stuff like that. How can you say you're able to judge an acting performance if you can't pick these things up? You can't.

Along with your way of understanding Japanese to properly judge, voice acting, unless you know it fluently also, you can't say it's worse then dubs.

Here's some homework for you: Find a place, anywhere in the entire internet, where I say English dubs as a whole > subs.

Unfortunately you are destined to fail. I've even said in this very topic that in most cases neither wins, it's up to preference. How is that? Because in English dubs, the acting is most often decent, if not very good. I can judge this because I am fluent in English. I don't know about how it is in Japanese, good or bad, so all I can really say is that most Japanese actors don't have awful-sounding voices (I have encountered some irritating ones, though).

(And hey, I've also taken a couple Japanese classes)
Modified by Redfoxoffire, 08-02-10, 7:27 PM

08-02-10, 7:59 PM

Sentences are structured differently, emphasis is put in different areas, stuff like that. How can you say you're able to judge an acting performance if you can't pick these things up?

LOL, I can pick those up, I DO KNOW THOSE THINGS, I've been studying Japanese in college for the past year, and English is my first language, you should learn to ask if I knew this then to assume I don't, makes you look like a prick. I didn't just take a few classes, I've been taking these classes for a LOOONG time, and very confident in my ability, but I still do have a lot to learn to become fluent, but I can't write pretty dam well in Kanji as I've had to write a few essays in kanji for the class. Plus I never said that acting out the emotion is everything to acting, but I'm saying if you can't even do that, then your not acting well enough to be considered better then the people who STARTED anime, how ignorant do you have to be, READ CAREFULLY before your post a reply, makes you look idiotic, as I've NEVER said that acting out emotion is ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO ACT GOOD.

Also I'm taking Japanese classes to help my future career possibilities as I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, and Japan is one of the nations if not leading in technology, and compare to your "FEW" classes you took, I believe i know what I'm talking about compared to your dubs is better even though you know a LOT less about Japanese then I do. But I do agree that there are some annoying Japanese voices, I've ran into a few myself.
Modified by Goodtimes420, 08-02-10, 8:40 PM

08-02-10, 9:16 PM

Your entire previous post was focused almost exclusively on emotion, and before that you've pretty much denied my reasoning that there's more to acting than the small things you can pick up without knowing the language. Maybe you should be more sure of what you're actually saying before accusing me of not reading.

And a year studying Japanese is suddenly a LOOONG time? Laughable. Come back when you've been studying for 4 years.

LOL, I can pick those up, I DO KNOW THOSE THINGS, I've been studying Japanese in college for the past year, and English is my first language, you should learn to ask if I knew this then to assume I don't, makes you look like a prick.

And you now look like a retard because I was assuming you knew those things (I was guessing English was not your first language based on the context of your previous post, which leads me to believe you would be bilingual and know how different languages can be).

Also I'm taking Japanese classes to help my future career possibilities as I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, and Japan is one of the nations if not leading in technology, and compare to your "FEW" classes you took, I believe i know what I'm talking about compared to your dubs is better even though you know a LOT less about Japanese then I do.

God damn, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Cut back on the Japanese classes and brush up on your English, eh? If you think I'm not understanding what you're saying it's because your grammar is so poor; maybe you are right that I've been missing your point on some of these things, but that's not my fault. I can read pretty well, but I'm no mind-reader, and you apparently don't want me assuming things.

By the way, I may or may not reply to you again since it's been made obvious I can't take you seriously.

08-02-10, 9:33 PM

Yes I agree my grammar is POOR, english has always been my worst subject, but a year of taking classes of Japanese is enough for me to understand about 80% of the language, I often watch raws for practice. Also I don't mean 9 months of your average school year in the states, I go all year round, and I've been studying Japanese for a total 13 months going on to 14 as I started in the summer term of last year in June.

But these classes also touch the subject of the different aspects of Japanese culture of multiple regions/provinces, and I understand a lot of the differences in the structure and emphasis between english and Japanese language.

And again, I never once said that voice acting is ALL about emotion, and I focus on it because it's one of the BIGGEST problems with english voice acting, they don't seem to know how to express the emotion displayed by anime, and if they can't even do that, and the Japanese can, its obvious who's better.

But I believe there are english voice actors capable of doing it, it's just with the low population of anime fans compared to Japan, North American distributors don't make NEARLY as much money as the Japan companies do, leading to lower quality actors. But with Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, I know there are english voice actors are capable, it's just companies like Funimation fail to hire good quality voice actors, instead they stick with alright to bad voice actors on the cheap.
Modified by Goodtimes420, 08-02-10, 9:37 PM

08-02-10, 9:42 PM

How can one understand more about another language than their own?

Translation is based upon the unification of two seperate languages.
help protect the video game nerd by increasing my twitter power level, don't succumb to godzilla's ten storey penis !

08-02-10, 9:50 PM

Onibokusu said:
How can one understand more about another language than their own?

Translation is based upon the unification of two seperate languages.

I might never know full on 100% perfection as to someone having it has their 1st language, but learning how to speak it fluently, learning the differences and similarities in culture can tremendously close that gap and understand most if not almost all there is to know to fully understand the language. Plus I never said I knew more about Japanese then english, I'm just a few months to a half a year of closing that gap as much as possible and speaking it fluently.

08-03-10, 12:47 AM

Goodtimes420 said:
But with Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, I know there are english voice actors are capable, it's just companies like Funimation fail to hire good quality voice actors, instead they stick with alright to bad voice actors on the cheap.

How can you say that when you apparently haven't even seen a FUNimation dubbed anime except for one, DBZ, that you claim to have actually liked? (Yes, I checked, and none of your listed dubs are FUNimation series)

Strangely enough, even I wasn't too thrilled with Trigun's dub. I'd never say it was bad, but I didn't think JYB fit Vash too well and I was kind of on the edge with Milly's voice.

08-03-10, 1:01 AM

Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:
But with Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, I know there are english voice actors are capable, it's just companies like Funimation fail to hire good quality voice actors, instead they stick with alright to bad voice actors on the cheap.

How can you say that when you apparently haven't even seen a FUNimation dubbed anime except for one, DBZ, that you claim to have actually liked? (Yes, I checked, and none of your listed dubs are FUNimation series)

Strangely enough, even I wasn't too thrilled with Trigun's dub. I'd never say it was bad, but I didn't think JYB fit Vash too well and I was kind of on the edge with Milly's voice.

Well that list I put up was only a few, but to list only Funimation anime I've seen is Afro Samurai, but I like their voice acting.

But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima, that's all I can remember but I feel like I've tried at least a couple more, but they just didn't compare to the Japanese voice acting, but Black Lagoon was close, I remember watching it on Starz movie channel, it was decent but I liked the original better.

08-03-10, 1:08 AM

Goodtimes420 said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:

Well that list I put up was only a few, but to list only Funimation anime I've seen is Afro Samurai, but I like their voice acting.

But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima, that's all I can remember but I feel like I've tried at least a couple more, but they just didn't compare to the Japanese voice acting, but Black Lagoon was close, I remember watching it on Starz movie channel, it was decent but I liked the original better.

Baccano! is actually widely agreed, even among sub fans, to have a great dub, so that looks like more personal issues there (Black Lagoon too, but I already mentioned that one). And are you sure you saw the FUNimation dub of Initial D? There are two, and FUNi's is very recent. I hear the other one was pretty bad, so you might have seen that one. Negima is also one I've come across, and from what I've heard I'd agree that it's not good. And Air Gear was dubbed by ADV, not FUNimation.

08-03-10, 2:01 AM

Goodtimes420 said:
But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima

Are we talking about Tokyo Pop's release of Initial D, or FUNimation's redub?

08-03-10, 2:39 AM

Onibokusu said:
Goodtimes420 said:
But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima

I don't know, never really checked when I watched it, I just downloaded dvdrips with dual audio about 6 months ago to re-watch the series sense its one of the only GOOD racing animes, and tried watching it dubbed, but that lasted an episode before I went to subs.

08-03-10, 3:09 AM

Goodtimes420 said:
Onibokusu said:
Goodtimes420 said:

I don't know, never really checked when I watched it, I just downloaded dvdrips with dual audio about 6 months ago to re-watch the series sense its one of the only GOOD racing animes, and tried watching it dubbed, but that lasted an episode before I went to subs.

Tokyo Pop dub then.

08-03-10, 11:05 AM

Goodtimes420 said:

Mentioning Beck, Baccano, and Black Lagoon really surprises me considering they all have very good English dubs. On ANN the professional reviewers actually rate the English dubbed version of these anime a little higher (and that almost never happens). If these are some your mentioning as being bad English dubs then I can say easily say your basing most of what you said on your personal opinions rather than the actual quality of the voice actors.

08-04-10, 3:28 AM

Fletchaaa said:
Goodtimes420 said:

Mentioning Beck, Baccano, and Black Lagoon really surprises me considering they all have very good English dubs. On ANN the professional reviewers actually rate the English dubbed version of these anime a little higher (and that almost never happens). If these are some your mentioning as being bad English dubs then I can say easily say your basing most of what you said on your personal opinions rather than the actual quality of the voice actors.

There are many different critics in the world with different opinions, if there was absolutely no personal opinion then there wouldn't be so many different critics, as these different critics have their own way of judging movies, tv, anime, etc.

And like any critic, I try do judge based on quality from different aspects, and the anime I listed above I didn't say were bad, I just didn't like them as much as the Japanese voice acting. I'm starting to get tired of everyone putting words in my mouth, I never say their bad...

I SIMPLY SAY THEIR JUST NOT AS GOOD.

I don't go I hate the voice so it sucks, when I attempt to watch a dub I try to listen to the quality based on the situation the voice actor is faced in the many situations in the anime.

For instance, an anime character is displaying anger, and yet the voice acter doesn't sound angry, but instead sounds like he's just talking normally in a louder tone. Seriously, if their suppose to act out anger and they don't achieve that, how is it better then the Japapnese voice acting that DID achieve that?

08-04-10, 3:32 AM

Saying "dub" and "good" in the same sentence without a "not" in between, is an oxymoron.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!

08-04-10, 12:07 PM

kodial said:
Saying "dub" and "good" in the same sentence without a "not" in between, is an oxymoron.

Just take the "oxy" out and that's what you are.

For instance, an anime character is displaying anger, and yet the voice acter doesn't sound angry, but instead sounds like he's just talking normally in a louder tone. Seriously, if their suppose to act out anger and they don't achieve that, how is it better then the Japapnese voice acting that DID achieve that?

If this ever happened, sure. Got an instance for me where it did?

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices