MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Gender Bender anime / manga
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Gender Bender anime / manga

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
03-16-08, 3:26 PM

Yeah, I love gender bender Anime and Manga. oh, and gender bender as in a girl who is pretending to be a guy or a guy who is pretending to be a girl. anyway, i've been trying to find some new ones. So if you could recommend some to me that would be great. I actually haven't seen that many gender bender anime, but i've read a lot of manga.

anyway, examples of manga i've read and liked:
hana-kimi, w-juliet, ichigo channel, cute x guy, ouran host club, boku ni natta watashi
or you could just click here for all the gender benders i've read/plan to read.

oh, and if anyone wants to throw some gender bender asain dramas/movies my way go ahead (besides hanakimi jp/tw and coffee prince). i love asain dramas.

thanks in advance!!
Modified by katsup, 10-02-08, 11:48 AM

03-16-08, 3:33 PM

Hmmm, the only gender bender manga I've read would be Kill Me Kiss Me, where a girl dresses up like a guy. Try that.

03-16-08, 3:55 PM

Try the Hourou Musuko manga.

03-16-08, 4:04 PM

I personally thought Princess Princess was very funny. It comes off a bit shounen-ai but it really isn't. It's about 3 boys who go to an all male school. At this school they have decided the prettiest boys should dress up as girls to help restore the souls of the boys who go there. The best part I thought, was the main character didn't really mind all the much. I also like if you take off the slip cover on the manga you get a special comic called Prince Prince on it.

03-16-08, 4:39 PM

innominate said:
Hmmm, the only gender bender manga I've read would be Kill Me Kiss Me, where a girl dresses up like a guy. Try that.

ah, yeah i think i've actually read that.....

@Kasumi: oo sounds interesting. i'll defenitely have to look into that one

@brand: oh my god YES! that was the show i was thinking of. I saw the first episode and i liked it, but i forgot what it was called and never kept watching it.

03-16-08, 7:23 PM

There are lots of crossdressing manga.

I have a section devoted to them on my shoujo manga page:
http://niko-niko.net/shoujo/category/theme/crossdressing/
All of those have at least one crossdressing story in them, if not the entire series. Some of them you have read, some you don't have on your list. Out of those, I think you'd like Boku ni Natta Watashi the most.

And some series that I don't have listed on there:
Adesugata Junjou BOY - boy dresses as girl (shounen, by the author of GTO)
Mint na Bokura - boy dresses as girl so he looks exactly like his twin sister (shoujo, by the author of Marmalade Boy)

03-16-08, 7:50 PM

Pretty Face is a good manga where the guy is stuck with a girls face.

Avoid Gacha Gacha the Next Generation though.

Also try the Hana Zakari no kimi no tachi e e live action, it is hilarious.
My anime list

03-16-08, 7:59 PM

I second kasumisama and MagicalEmi's list.

To recommend titles that haven't already been mentioned, there is Boku wa ne. It's a cute storty with slight shounen-ai undertones, but nevertheless family-oriented. Sounds weird, but it works.

Oh!! Honey 2 Skip is also a pretty good one.

Edit:
I forgot Nicoichi!!!! That one's great.
Modified by potatotato, 03-16-08, 8:06 PM

03-16-08, 9:54 PM

@magical emi: oo! mint na bokura. i've been meaning to read that because it is the wataru yoshizumi but i havent been able to find it anywehere. thanks for that link though i'll defenitely have to check it out.

@mitamaking: thanks. :) i've actually seen the taiwan hanakimi drama, and i plan on watching the japanese one at some point. hana kimi is my favorite manga of all time though =)

@lindork: i dont mind shounen ai undertones at all. :3 hahaa. i'll defenitely have to check those out as well ! :) they all sound good!

03-16-08, 10:13 PM

Ai wo utau yori ore ni oborero = Gender Bender X2 ^____^
Akira Shiraishi, a young high schooler with girlish features, joins Blaue Rozen, Mizuki Sakurazaka's band.
Their high school life is anything but typical: Mizuki hides the fact that she is a girl. What will happen when one of Akira's friends discovers that Mizuki is a girl...?

03-16-08, 10:16 PM

03-16-08, 11:43 PM

I will second Power!! It´s a really great Manga that, i think at least, everyone should read. I would just love to see it be made into a Anime that is true too the Manga :)

03-17-08, 1:22 AM

I keep thinking of more series :)

There is also the shounen series, Futaba-kun change about a boy who transforms into a girl. It is sort of like Ranma in that it is shounen ecchi humor. And Family Compo, which is just all kinds of gender confused. I keep getting confused when reading it, too! lol

Oh! and don't forget Legend of Basara! (manga and anime, though the manga is much better -the anime has one of those non-endings) It is about a girl who crossdresses as her twin brother and leads an army. There is a romeo and juliet type of romance she had going on with the leader of the opposite army. She doesn't know who he is, and he doesn't know she's the male enemy leader :) There are a bunch of other subplots going on, too.

03-17-08, 6:37 AM

Revolutionary Girl Utena, especially the anime.

03-17-08, 8:39 AM

MagicalEmi said:
It is about a girl who crossdresses as her twin brother and leads an army.

On that note, Otogizoushi would fit.

03-17-08, 10:12 AM

gigimxul said:
Revolutionary Girl Utena, especially the anime.

Yeah, i've seen Utena already and i thought it was amazing :)

ooh legend of basara sounds good~ so does Otogizoushi.... sort of sounds like a similar concept to mulan... (which is like my favorite disney movie) XD;;;

03-17-08, 10:34 AM

And of course Rose of Versailles! An excellent classic shoujo series from '79. The main character is a noblewoman raised as a man/military officer and its set around the times of the French Revolution.

03-17-08, 12:46 PM

One that comes to mind is Tenshi na Konamaiki. It's about a boy who ends up getting transformed into a girl through magic. There's a television series that ran for 50 episodes and a manga whcih has been released in the US under the name Cheeky Angel.

EDIT: Almost forgot Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl ~. It's another one in which the main character starts as a boy and ends up getting transformed into a girl.
Modified by tainteddonut, 03-17-08, 12:58 PM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

03-17-08, 1:11 PM

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru was pretty amusing, and it definitely fits the bill.

03-17-08, 1:15 PM

I'm watching Le Chevalier D'eon now - it's got a bit of cross-gender stuff driving the plot.

Also, Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is about a boy who is irreversably transformed into a girl by aliens.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices