Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 12, 2010 10:34 PM

Jun 2009
Errr...So are all the arcs supposed to be connected or not? Because the first two can't possibly be since Keichii died twice. And wasn't he the only survivor of the disaster? This is confusing...
Jul 2, 2010 6:38 AM

Dec 2009
Interesting , poor Rika , gotta be tough seeing your own death and waiting for it >_> ...
Jul 7, 2010 8:13 AM

Mar 2010
This arc was rather boring, except for the information about Rika..Next episode, here i come!!!
Jul 14, 2010 7:56 PM

Aug 2009
Not my favorite arc I guess
If Rika foresaw her death, why didn't she do anything about it.
I'm guessing Rika knew everything that happened in the other arcs now
aaand that Keiichi probably died in the volcanic gas accident in this version - no survivors were mentioned?
Aug 5, 2010 7:59 AM

Aug 2009
clannad4ever said:
yeah unfortunately i know who killed rika because of some dude spoiling it :...you will not guess in a thousand years who did it xD

but still this remains misterious as hell,i'm really enjoying it :D

it's about a 9/10 for me so far but it can get to 10 :-)

Ooishi..

I'm not sure , i'm just guessing , it's not a spoiler.

Wel.. Rika knew about everything , she somehow 'asked' Akasaka for help , but..
Oct 15, 2010 9:37 PM

Nov 2009
POOR RIKA!!! Mr. Aka Saka could have saved her!!! and then no one would have died!!! And Mr. Aka Saka should have went home when Rika told him 2!!! Now Aka Saka's wife is dead and its all his and her and the nurses fault!!! and i dont get it... she was prego when she died wasnt she??? an she landed on her stomach... so wouldnt the baby have died as well in the impact??? but no the baby is okay... and thats good =) at least Aka Saka has his kid!!! I feel really bad for Aka Saka though... the kid was gonna be let go anyway??? so Aka Saka didnt have 2 do all that??? you know what its his bosses fault as well!!! and every1 else that was 2 lazy 2 take on the case!!! and OMG RIKA'S the fortune teller!!! i knew it somewhat... *i actually thought she was the one putting ppl other places and bringing others to life but now i see i was wrong ehehe. . .* anyway this was an AMAZING epi!!! Orishi is still alive XP and OLD!!! XD id love to know the whole connection with Rika knowing everything and Satako's family dieing then hers then Sataco's then her... it probably means nothing with the Rika and Sataco thing i just found it weird haha but i am curious now!!! i wanna watch more haha
Nov 1, 2010 8:39 PM

Sep 2010
meh arc. need moar blood

the ending is intriguing however. everything is slowly starting to tie in.

Hiro-san said:
Finally, things are starting to make sense.
My interpretation: the story arcs that show whatever happened during 1983 are possibilities of what could happen at the end of Oyashiro's curse (or as part of the grand finale). Maybe all these events are able tol trigger that grand finale, where eventually the whole village dies?

o.O that kinda makes sense

Nov 3, 2010 2:26 PM

Aug 2010
Holy Moly!!! Even Rika can be scary, this is getting intriguing

Im so sad Asakasa's wife died, how unfortunate. Dam that Curse!
billngNov 3, 2010 3:24 PM
Nov 14, 2010 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
So if Rika is the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama and the series of murders were set up by him and predicted by Rika, why would he be angered when she died? Surely there must be another reason why everyone in the village was killed after Rika's death...
Dec 1, 2010 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
Zell182 said:
So if Rika is the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama and the series of murders were set up by him and predicted by Rika, why would he be angered when she died? Surely there must be another reason why everyone in the village was killed after Rika's death...

i thought the cause of everyone dying was because of what Keiichi said right before he fell into the water. "that everyone in the town would die" or something along those lines.
but its hard to stop watching this. i just want to see the final conclusion.
Dec 7, 2010 6:01 PM

Dec 2009
bwahahachick said:
Woo, this is confusing... But it's a good kind of confusion.
^This. ^_^
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

May 26, 2011 7:33 PM

Jan 2009
Contrary to many opinions, I thought this arc was actually pretty interesting. We saw a lot of young Rika, learning much about her, seeing different sides of her. It was nice and informative, I thought. Plus having a new main character for a few episodes was a nice change, mixed things up.

I'm hoping that the ending sequence doesn't confirm the toxic gas leak as actual events. =T It seems there are many timelines, many alternate storylines, maybe even alternate worlds, in the various arcs, where the deaths play out differently, and I think it would kind of suck if the one that was truly reality was the one where everyone died but psychotic-Keiichi. =__= What fun is that, lol? But then again, there's a second season, so we'll see about this.... But then again, the second season could just be handfuls of more alternate arcs. Dx

Not knowing what the heck's going on and what's coming next is too much... Gotta keep watching to keep these minor revelations going! [marathoning this]
May 27, 2011 10:49 PM

Feb 2010
Hiro-san said:
My interpretation: the story arcs that show whatever happened during 1983 are possibilities of what could happen at the end of Oyashiro's curse (or as part of the grand finale). Maybe all these events are able tol trigger that grand finale, where eventually the whole village dies?

From what I've heard about the game this is based on, that seems to make the most sense. It seems like every arc is a jump back to before the Cotton Drifting Festival and just due to different circumstances, things turn out differently with a loose continuity between them.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jun 15, 2011 7:31 PM

Jun 2010
You guys are describing the butterfly effect. Any small, minute change in the scenario at the beginning will lead to dramatically different results. And also, about that natural gas disaster...
Jul 6, 2011 9:13 AM
Jul 2010
Ok, so I feel that after such a clarifying episode, it's time to sort out my thoughts. And there's no better way to do it than to write them.

All the events happen exactly as Rika predicted for the first four years. So why is the fifth one different? What makes July 1983 repeat with different resolutions? Why do we get a reset everytime things go wrong? I believe that's the most important question to be asked after this episode.

I didn't think this arc was boring. Not at all. In fact, it was probably the most interesting one, despite the fact that I really missed the creepy faces (Rika's not that creepy, even when possessed). Anyway, I'm still confused regarding the 'cause of the deaths. Is there something supernatural behind them (Oyashiro-sama?) or are they decided in those meetings of the three great families? Sometimes I'm leaning towards one answer but that rapidly changes. When Rika said "it's already decided", it seemed as if she had heard it in one of those meetings and just accepted it. However, there's no denying that at least her sudden changes in behavior and voice (unlike Rena, she doesn't seem to be unstable) point to something supernatural, aka. she being possessed...

Also, the obvious thing is to assume this is what happened in the future of the scenario presented in the last arc. However, that would imply many inconsistencies, such as Oishio being there years after when he supposedly disappeared and there being more survivors from the village besides Keiichi. Which leads me to think that Rika dies in every single alternative scenario and the village ends up having the same fate. It's only the events that lead there that are different. As for the reason so many different ways to reach the same end are being presented, it remains a mystery to me for now. Perhaps they're different timelines and the reset actually happens (literaly, as in it is part of the storyline, not just a way of presenting it). But that would mean supernatural stuff is involved, which I'm not sure to be the case just yet.
Jul 6, 2011 9:20 PM
Dec 2007
Zfish9 said:
You guys are describing the butterfly effect. Any small, minute change in the scenario at the beginning will lead to dramatically different results. And also, about that natural gas disaster...
Rika's predictions are events that always happen. The Dam supervisor always dies, the Houjo couple always dies, Rika's parents always die and Satoko's aunt alwas dies while Satoshi disappears. And last, Rika always dies. Everything after that, including the mass death event are unknown to Rika since she's dead by then. And everything she doesn't predict is because it can change. Only the deaths she predicted are 100% sure to happen.

Sep 7, 2011 11:55 AM

Jul 2011
Am I the only one who watched past the preview to see shion dragging mion's body into a dark room where their grandmother was waiting?
Oct 1, 2011 3:48 PM

Jun 2010
Rika is one of my favorite characters, so I am really pissed off because SHE is dead. >.>"
Episode is creepy, and she is.. I don't know, even in "demon mood" she cares about people. That's what I love about her. ;3
Tell the victims to kill eachother.
Nov 28, 2011 7:13 PM

Jun 2011
Rika's too cute to die.
Jan 13, 2012 7:52 PM

Dec 2009
Interesting, a lot of things are falling into place now...
Ah, however I didn't like Rika's voice when she was making those predictions, I thought it was a little too mature for a little girl, or well who knows...
Jun 28, 2012 8:52 AM

Jul 2010
I'm so relieved that Akasaka is okay! I was worried he would die. I'm kinda surprised his wife died though.. She doesn't even live in Hinamizawa. :(

Everything is starting to make sense though. So that's good. I'm looking forward to seeing Satoshi next arc!
Jul 7, 2012 1:19 PM

Oct 2011
Things start to be clear
Jul 19, 2012 9:07 AM

Jun 2012
So now this arc is taking place immediately after the last one...

I wonder if Kechii is going to show up again, considering the last arc stopped with him surviving the eruptions.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Aug 10, 2012 7:16 PM

Nov 2011
bwahahachick said:
Woo, this is confusing... But it's a good kind of confusion.

This. So much.
Nov 15, 2012 7:12 AM

Oct 2012
So Rika is Oyishina's prophet or something??
then why doesn't she know who is the killer although she predicted the deaths???
I feel it has to do with the 3 great families :D
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Jan 2, 2013 5:18 AM

Dec 2012
belial said:
boring arc.. boring ep .. tho the 2º half of it had some interesting parts..

so..

1978 - rika foretolds the future deaths [it's when this arc took place]
1979 - chooped dam guy .. arm still not found
1980- Satoko's parents death .. mother's body not found
1981- Rika's parents death .. unknown illness .. mother suicides, body never found
1982- Satoko's aunt killed by Satoko Nii Nii [supposedly] =p
1983+ - Rika's death foretold.. Mion killed her? o.O
1983 - Too Many facts to state ... that's the confusing part ... =x

1978 is when Akasaka's wife died
1983 is also when both Myo and the journalist died
Jan 27, 2013 1:36 PM
Apr 2012
Best arc since the 1st one in my opinion.
Feb 12, 2013 9:41 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty boring arc. Interesting how things are coming up. Hopefully the next arc is a WOW factor like the first arcs.
Feb 24, 2013 2:20 PM
Feb 2013
The arc wasn't boring at all, it revealed a new twist and made certain scenarios seem like constants.

Like the whole town dying.

People just think it's boring because no one was get tortured or outright killed >.>
Apr 3, 2013 11:59 PM

Mar 2013
babykeiji said:
Yeah, the story's making sense now. Wow! This is really a masterpiece. I hope that the animation will improve though. Well, they said that 2nd season has a lot of improvement in terms of animation. ^_^

I really love this series. Since I'm really into psychological, mystery genre.

+ GORE AND BLOOD! That's make it so much SUGOI!

it might make some but remember that this is a different time from the last arc-
O-san survived and keichi did not
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
Apr 19, 2013 7:59 AM
Aug 2011
So the serial murders started a year after the withdrawing of the dam project?

How come there is a year between Satoko's uncle's death and Rika's death?

Rika doesn't look cute at all, she looks so stupid with those eyes I wanna punch her in the face. I hate the artstyle of this anime.
Apr 21, 2013 2:46 AM

Sep 2009
Every episode is so confusing and I don't find this episode boring. I was very thrilled and confused that maybe Akasaka would die. I'm glad that he's okay :-)
He's handsome and nice~
Jul 2, 2013 6:58 PM
Jul 2013
Did I somehow miss that Rika was the reincarnation of Oyahshiro because I thought because of Keiichi in the last arc, that he was somehow a partial reincarnation or something...

Man, this stuff gets confusing
Jul 23, 2013 2:09 PM

Feb 2013
Woah!!

That's all I could come up with......woah.....
Jul 30, 2013 11:01 PM

Feb 2011
Everything makes sense now, though I still don´t quite get it.
Aug 11, 2013 2:14 AM

May 2013
I think this arc is connected to the last one. What a short arc though.

Rika, being Oyashiro's reincarnation or prophet, knows everything.

Nooo, Akasaka almost died! At least he survived that.
But too bad his wife died.

Everything's starting to become clear.
I wonder what the next arc brings us.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Sep 13, 2013 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
I really wish I knew what was going on. This whole series doesn't make any sense to me.
Oct 29, 2013 9:09 AM

Jun 2013
belial said:

so..

1978 - rika foretolds the future deaths [it's when this arc took place]
1979 - chooped dam guy .. arm still not found
1980- Satoko's parents death .. mother's body not found
1981- Rika's parents death .. unknown illness .. mother suicides, body never found
1982- Satoko's aunt killed by Satoko Nii Nii [supposedly] =p
1983+ - Rika's death foretold.. Mion killed her? o.O
1983 - Too Many facts to state ... that's the confusing part ... =x

Well.. Wut. Rika can see into the future? And here I was thinking that this show would be logical in our terms of reality... Disappointed :(
Nov 16, 2013 4:11 PM

Jun 2013
So Rika is the main death of the time loops, but because it was not decided how she will die there were all those possibilities... Makes sense for most part except the first arc because she was not killed there.
Dec 30, 2013 11:49 PM

Jul 2008
Okay so this mini arc is connected to the last arc with Keiichi seemingly cursing everyone and trying to kill Satoko's uncle.

Also it seems that the cop's wife was the first victim of the festival. If Rika predicted the events then why did she choose not to change them?

I'm also curious how the alternate arcs from before fit in here.
Jan 17, 2014 8:10 PM

Aug 2013
There's something that I just noticed now that I wasn't so sure, but now that I checked, I'm totally sure. When Rika talk and she's ''possessed' by the demon', it's the same voice as the narrator of every ending.

So Rika is Oyashirama reincarnation? Weirdly, I don't believe that. Oyashirama seem to be able to transfer into other body. Mion really seemed ''possessed'', same for Rena. But the question is : why did the curse started especially that year? It could be because of the hydroelectric dam, but it seem too easy. There's four persons that are still way too mysterious : Rena ; since she seem too much of a primordial character (yes, it's a weak excuse, but important character often drive the plot :P), Takano ; who she really is and why is she always implicated in the murder of 1983, the doctor/coach ; he's too mysterious and above all, why was he at Keiichi, when Rena and Mion was killed by him, with a bunch of people dressed the same as the people that kidnapped the minister child.

And finally, there's Keiichi. There is something odd about Keiichi, why is he always involved in the 1983 murder? What is exactly is link with the other girls? Also, I don't if I'm trying to look too far, but is it me or the boy that got kidnapped look pretty much like Keiichi? I have a weird theory here. What if the little boy was Keiichi younger? I know that they doesn't have the same name, but they could have changed it, even more if he was kidnapped. Also, they already knew the village and they needed him to escape from big cities because of his high learning skill.

Next arc seem to focus on Sakoto brother, that's what the preview is telling me.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 7, 2014 5:23 AM

Jan 2009
hearing rika list those dates of death was really freaky
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 30, 2014 4:41 AM

Sep 2013
So I'm assuming here that Rika is Oyashiro-sama incarnate , thus explaining the change of tone in her voice and ability to foretell what will happen to her , Satoko's aunt , her parents , etc OR she could have just over heard discussions with the congregation of the head families and just have been possessed by some form of demon

What I thought was interesting is that in this arc Rika predicts her death that WE have already seen in a previous arc (where Satoko sees Keichii with a bloodied weapon over Rika's body near the shrine and was thought to have killed her) So this arc must have happened prior to the previous one , what's confusing is that Satoko's aunt's death is predicted after she was said to be killed by Satoshi in the previous arc when Keiichi intends on killing her uncle, I think..

What's even more interesting is seeing Shion dragging Mion away with the Head of one of the three families bound by ropes and appears to be unconscious or even dead

In one of the previous arcs Keiichi was the last remaining survivor after the catastrophe that had happened in Hinamizawa , but then was killed by Mion if I remember correctly.

Once again I am a little confused but this was a good episode , Rika ^^ kawaii as always , Nipa! ^(^_^)^
Apr 19, 2014 5:08 AM

Jun 2011
Second half was pretty cool, can't wait to understand these all, but for that, I have to go through another 10 episodes.. First half was meh, the kidnappers had a lot of chance to attack the polices, like when Akasaka was talking with the kid, and so on.. but I guess they didn't really need to, huh.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 23, 2014 3:50 PM
Feb 2013
Okay, this really the first extension arc, it certainly was the less confusing one to me at least, but it did raise some questions that wasn't too confusing at the very least.
Apr 25, 2014 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
A little bit of explaining, but actually not much. Still confused.

I want to believe that there's nothing supernatural, but it's the only logical explanation so far.
May 4, 2014 7:20 AM

Jan 2014
1cebear said:
A little bit of explaining, but actually not much. Still confused.

I want to believe that there's nothing supernatural, but it's the only logical explanation so far.

Yea,it's still confusing,and it looks like it's something supernatural.
Aug 26, 2014 12:16 AM
Dec 2011
every thing is done by the village elder ( mions granny )and family to punish people who breaks the rules or does sin (according to them) but some people did kill others because of circumstance eg- satoshi who killed his aunt because of the bulling they got. he did it but because his aunt was a sinner she was already on the list to get killed.

that predictions RIKA made was the information she found out, that must have been very difficult to find, she is always watched so she knew knowing this means she will be on the list to die but she took the risk and found out that she is already on it. there are plenty of reasons to make her guilty if you want to look at it that way

1- has been shown that rika was the one caught responsible for breaking the oyashiros hand even though she didn't do it i think that's why her father even though didn't want to hit her because he knows how the village elder will see it , i think RIKAS father was a kind person with justice even though he kept his mouth shut ( maybe show his feelings with his actions in meetings they had) but he didn't like the village elder( mions granny) and her families actions i think she knew this and didn't like him either and watched him very closely that's why RIKA and her parents on this list. it will be explained better.

these stories explain why every one got to be in this plan of death or to this list that RIKA spoke about ! i love her character the most i feel so sorry for her :3
Nov 1, 2014 2:21 AM

Nov 2013
WHOA THAT RIKA INFODUMP! THANK YOU BASED RIKA! YOUR DEATH WAS NOT IN VAIN!

Holy shit! The story makes a very slight bit of sense!

THOSE MINDFUCKING PLOTS!

4/5

Nov 1, 2014 2:28 AM

Nov 2013
Adramelech said:
So the serial murders started a year after the withdrawing of the dam project?

How come there is a year between Satoko's uncle's death and Rika's death?

Rika doesn't look cute at all, she looks so stupid with those eyes I wanna punch her in the face. I hate the artstyle of this anime.
The eyes of the girls in this anime are so fucking huge that it's a little ridiculous...

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.