Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation Acquires Baka Test & Dance in the Vampire Bund

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 12, 2010 3:17 PM

Dec 2008
mitamaking said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Netwing, I wouldn't have any problem with FUNimation getting them if they would've at least waited for the series to finish first. The problem is that now we have to wait until they are released in the west.

And regarding Higurashi and Geneon, I believe they both belonged to ADV, who sold them to FUNi. However, FUNi have no plans to dub the second series, even though they bought it. And thus, they are assholes.

1.ADV never owned Geneon, they had an "alliance" that lasted two days before Geneon went under.

2.Funimation has stated they want to dub Higarashi however Geneon USA had exclusive rights to the property till I believe 2012

3.Funimation does not own Geneon, they released Geneon's shows on DVD, if you go on Anime on DVD and see who releases the shows it says Geneon.

Higarashi not coming to America is Geneon's fault, not ADV, not Funimation.

That still doesn't put a Higurashi Kai dub out of the question. Geneon just had the first season (With a non-stellar dub), they "Went out of business" before they had a chance to get the second season.

Funi has stated on more than enough occasions that the series has had great DVD success. My bets on after they release this new rerelease/remasterd boxset this month, Funi will open more about a possible Kai license in April-June.
Mar 12, 2010 4:12 PM

Aug 2007
Sempie said:
mitamaking said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Netwing, I wouldn't have any problem with FUNimation getting them if they would've at least waited for the series to finish first. The problem is that now we have to wait until they are released in the west.

And regarding Higurashi and Geneon, I believe they both belonged to ADV, who sold them to FUNi. However, FUNi have no plans to dub the second series, even though they bought it. And thus, they are assholes.

1.ADV never owned Geneon, they had an "alliance" that lasted two days before Geneon went under.

2.Funimation has stated they want to dub Higarashi however Geneon USA had exclusive rights to the property till I believe 2012

3.Funimation does not own Geneon, they released Geneon's shows on DVD, if you go on Anime on DVD and see who releases the shows it says Geneon.

Higarashi not coming to America is Geneon's fault, not ADV, not Funimation.

That still doesn't put a Higurashi Kai dub out of the question. Geneon just had the first season (With a non-stellar dub), they "Went out of business" before they had a chance to get the second season.

Funi has stated on more than enough occasions that the series has had great DVD success. My bets on after they release this new rerelease/remasterd boxset this month, Funi will open more about a possible Kai license in April-June.

That makes me sick. Who would buy a terrible dub like Higurashi?
Mar 13, 2010 5:14 PM

Aug 2009
Not everyone buys anime DVDs for the dubs. It's true that that can be a large factor (since really that's what your paying for given you can get the sub online for free), but there are people who will buy them simply to support the industry. I think the Higurashi dub is awful but I bought the individual DVDs and I intend to double dip on the second or third release as well depending on which one winds up with the better packaging.

Anyway, I think this is great news, I love BakaTest and if they get that out on DVD then I'll be all over that.
Mar 14, 2010 11:15 AM

May 2009
Hexrapper said:
(since really that's what your paying for given you can get the sub online for free)

It's pretty easy to find dubs online for free too...
Mar 14, 2010 12:30 PM

Aug 2007
Hexrapper said:
Not everyone buys anime DVDs for the dubs. It's true that that can be a large factor (since really that's what your paying for given you can get the sub online for free), but there are people who will buy them simply to support the industry. I think the Higurashi dub is awful but I bought the individual DVDs and I intend to double dip on the second or third release as well depending on which one winds up with the better packaging.

Anyway, I think this is great news, I love BakaTest and if they get that out on DVD then I'll be all over that.

Why would anybody buy something just to support something? That's terrible. If I buy anything I only buy stuff I really love. That applies to games only pretty much.
Mar 14, 2010 7:26 PM

Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hexrapper said:

Why would anybody buy something just to support something? That's terrible. If I buy anything I only buy stuff I really love. That applies to games only pretty much.

Because it profits the company whenever you buy their products (If you buy a lemonade from a stand that producer gets your cash therefore you just supported their finance.

Simple as that.
Mar 14, 2010 7:31 PM

Jan 2010
Sempie said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hexrapper said:

Because it profits the company whenever you buy their products (If you buy a lemonade from a stand that producer gets your cash therefore you just supported their finance.

Simple as that.

Just because you buy one DVD doesn't mean it will have even a miniscule impact on the company. I'll just let the faithful people and the idiots spend money on DVD's while I get it for free. Unless you're a huge fan, there's really no point in purchasing them.
Mar 14, 2010 8:42 PM

Aug 2007
Sempie said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hexrapper said:

Simple as that.

So you buy shit so companies can produce even more pieces of shit?
Mar 15, 2010 5:52 PM

Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Sempie said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hexrapper said:

Simple as that.

Yeah in a nutshell.

If a product doesn't get good sales it's either

A. Priced down (Like Funi did with Burst Angel, and Big Windup!)

B. The company stops production/distribution on the title altogether (Like Funi did with Kodocha)
Mar 17, 2010 2:30 PM

Aug 2007
Sempie said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Sempie said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Hexrapper said:

Simple as that.

Yeah in a nutshell.

If a product doesn't get good sales it's either

A. Priced down (Like Funi did with Burst Angel, and Big Windup!)

B. The company stops production/distribution on the title altogether (Like Funi did with Kodocha)

You must like to waste money if you enjoy buying pieces of shit.
Mar 18, 2010 9:12 AM

May 2007
One cut anime and all those years of good non-cut anime are forgotten.

So you know what , they could have easily cut Fullmetal Alchemist and got it on Toonami but they didn;'t. When was the last time Funi released a cut DVD before Dance in the Vampire Bund, huh, tell me Drunk Samurai. You say all their releases are shit so you must have followed every release.

Yes, cutting anime is wrong, but it isn't like they do this to every series ever like you say.

And dang it 99% of all anime DVDs have subtitles.
My anime list
Mar 18, 2010 3:04 PM

Aug 2007
mitamaking said:

So you know what , they could have easily cut Fullmetal Alchemist and got it on Toonami but they didn;'t. When was the last time Funi released a cut DVD before Dance in the Vampire Bund, huh, tell me Drunk Samurai. You say all their releases are shit so you must have followed every release.

Yes, cutting anime is wrong, but it isn't like they do this to every series ever like you say.

We were talking about Geneon not Funimation. Though if Funimation does keep it edited then I support a full boycott of everything they do just because censorship is bullshit.
Mar 18, 2010 3:34 PM

Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
mitamaking said:

We were talking about Geneon not Funimation. Though if Funimation does keep it edited then I support a full boycott of everything they do just because censorship is bullshit.

No we were talking about how/why Funi has stopped some productions.

ADV/Sentai is actually getting back up on their feet pretty well nowadays.
Mar 18, 2010 7:07 PM

Jun 2009
sorsha said:
companies like funimation are the plague of the anime society: again an american firm trolling over japanese media... nothing new there>.<

it could have been another nations company as well, but this is just one fine example of censorship: USA only streaming, and americanizing anime

I hope they sailor moon this anime as well....

-the day funimation owns Geneon entertaiment japan is the day anime dies

*facepalm* when ignorance rears it's shiny head
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Mar 28, 2010 3:52 PM

Jul 2009
I've just started Baka Test, and I pretty much imagine the dub already -- its seems a relatively easy series to dub. Well, I'll be looking forward to it.

Apr 27, 2010 5:23 PM
Nov 2009
kl

I'll be happy to buy the Baka dvd's if they get a UK release, as for Bund, no way am i buying anything that is censored.
Apr 15, 2011 11:38 PM

Jul 2010
I just went to RightStuf, thinking about pre-ordering this and I am confused about the DVD/Blu-ray combo. I don't have any Blu-Ray players or an X-Box or anything that can play blu-ray but I'm starting to have doubt buying this because I refuse to buy any anime that is censored. (Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are an exception for me, since they're the only ones come out in english dub and there's no way in hell they'll release a bilingual DVD)
They better release an uncut version. I don't see the point in releasing a censored version when it never aired in America. I don't even think it even aired on FUNimation's TV channel yet.

Looks like this anime is gonna be "on-hold" on my future anime DVD list.
Apr 16, 2011 1:08 AM

Apr 2010
I really don't know why they would release an edited version of Dance in Vampire Bund. It really doesn't make sense. They had no problem releasing Sekirei uncensored last November. It's not a show that some 8-year kid would grab instantly when he's in a store(although it would be really close to the Dragon Ball DVD/Blu-Rays).

As for Baka to Test, I'll hold off until I can watch a dubbed episode on their site(since they usually upload the first episode).
tangytangerineApr 16, 2011 2:13 PM
Apr 16, 2011 6:56 AM

Sep 2008
animelly said:
but I'm starting to have doubt buying this because I refuse to buy any anime that is censored.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-17/funimation-to-release-unedited-vampire-bund-in-june

They already announced that it's going to be uncensored.
Apr 16, 2011 12:03 PM

Aug 2007
Kippy said:
animelly said:
but I'm starting to have doubt buying this because I refuse to buy any anime that is censored.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-17/funimation-to-release-unedited-vampire-bund-in-june

They already announced that it's going to be uncensored.

Looks like they're not going to get a boycott then.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.