Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 4, 2010 7:11 AM
Sep 2007
After watching 22nd episode of Lucky Star and seeing certain beautiful family scene, I must ask - are there some titles which are all about family.

Sincerely, I grow tired of countless emo-gay-orphans who don't have anyone to keep on their eyes.

Besides, is there anything more important than family and its warmth?
Mar 4, 2010 9:37 AM

Apr 2009
arguably clannad.

I really don't know any!
Mar 4, 2010 10:22 AM

Mar 2008
Air (might consider it as emo tho :D)
Kure-nai
Tokyo Godfathers

Definitly about family, but might not be exactly what you're looking for.
Mar 4, 2010 12:44 PM

Jan 2008
Summer Wars is all about a family joining forces, already on your PTW -list.

Clannad ~After Story~ would be somewhat obvious when it comes to family bonds, but you've already seen the movie and I don't know how well they compare. :o

Seconding Tokyo Godfathers, it is quite a beautiful movie.

Hard time thinking of these really. o_o
Mar 4, 2010 1:07 PM

Jul 2007
Seconding Clannad and Summer Wars.

Also Witchblade, becuase the mother-child dynamic is easily it's strongest and most prominent aspect.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 4, 2010 1:42 PM

Feb 2008
Natsume Yuujinchou, its not really about family so much as its about positive connections with other sentient beings, but there are a lot of heartwarming family moments too.

If you're ok with manga suggestions, then I'd also try
Cat Street (non-traditional family)
Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie (similar to the Brady Bunch)
Yotsuba&! (very cute, lots of family moments)
Usagi Drop (licensed now, so may be hard to find)
Mar 4, 2010 2:14 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:
Also Witchblade

A THOUSAND TIMES, THIS. It was quite surprising, don't let the cover art or anything fool you. This is an absolutely stunning anime about a mother and her daughter, and it was quite beautiful and touching.

I may also contribute:

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. Nanoha's family is surprisingly very involved in her life and it was quite unexpected that they'd be so nice and understanding. The later series also focus on families, whether they be adopted or ones you form with people you've loved for most of your life.

I'd offer up Kemonozume as well. It has a sort of modern twist on the Romeo and Juliet appeal, where the lovers must pick between their families or the family they want to create for themselves. It's a great series, probably not for beginners of anime that don't seem like anime because there is no moe harem ecchi nonsense in it.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned a myriad of Ghibli films: My Neighbours the Yamadas, My Neighbour Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday.

Fruits Basket, while it seems that everyone is set up to be orphaned either legally or emotionally, is one of the most important series about family and acceptance to be released. A surrogate family is just as important as a real one.

Haibane Renmei is all about the family structure of the reborn Haibane. They are all technically parent-less as they are not born of humans, but the home which they live have two adults who serve as their parents. It's quite a great series, highly recommended.

And I guess while in Xam'd, the protagonist spends a lot of time away from his parents, they are very present as characters in the series, and he forms a surrogate family with the mail airship he now lives on.
Mar 4, 2010 2:15 PM
Feb 2010
Minami-ke

It's about three sisters.
Mar 4, 2010 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
Jennichigo said:
Minami-ke

It's about three sisters.

Seconded.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 4, 2010 2:41 PM

Nov 2008
Seconding Summer Wars.

Although, I don't consider them proper family anime, I also second Kure-nai (bear with the Shinkuro, he is borderline "emo-gay-orphan", but it is worth it for Murasaki, who is one of the most charismatic loli characters ever, and the relationship between the two), Haibane Renmei and Tokyo Godfathers.

Adding Koi Kaze. Probably not what you had in mind, but it is about family relationships and it is a great anime.

Some of the best parts of Noein also revolve around the kids' relationships with their parents.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 4, 2010 5:35 PM

Dec 2009
Most are funny & warm, many are unsubbed
Atashinchi
Uchi no 3 Shimai
My Neighbors the Yamadas

These are not mainly about family but family has an important part
Tonari no Totoro
Chibi Maruko-chan & Crayon Shin Chan
Ontama!

Hanada Shounen-shi: ghost related. It had one very touch family story at least.
Comedy with good touching parts.
Mar 4, 2010 8:26 PM

Sep 2009
I agree with Tokyo Godfathers - this is about family on many levels, and with each character.

Niea_7 - makeshift family. Young woman lives in a small bath house with its caretakers.

Seirei no Moribito - another makeshift family. Boy + surrogate mother and father.

Mitchiko to Hatchin - Mother and daughter. They have a pretty interesting relationship, and the ending is sweet.

Cat Soup - a little perverse but the general idea is family oriented
Mar 4, 2010 9:19 PM

Jun 2009
Clannad After Story (Seing that you haven't watch it)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2010 10:30 PM

Jun 2007
Chi's Sweet Home. Seen from the eyes of a kitty, it's a slice of life about a family.

Mar 4, 2010 11:50 PM

Jul 2009
Clannad
Air

Don't think I've watched anything which has a family giving a fuzzy warm feeling.
Maybe tora dora although I don't think family was so important in it.
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 5, 2010 12:01 AM

Aug 2009
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
Mar 5, 2010 2:22 AM
Sep 2007
Thanks.
Mar 5, 2010 2:24 AM

Jul 2009
I forgot about kanon too =P
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 5, 2010 2:38 AM
Sep 2007
Thank you, guu_, but I'm not interested in worthless harems, and there must be at least 10 male characters.
Mar 5, 2010 4:56 AM

Nov 2008
Yeah and how about Cardcaptor Sakura? Sure Sakura and her brother have lost their mother but it has a good warmful family atmosphere.
It's bit childish but it's still extremely enjoyable.
Mar 5, 2010 11:04 AM
Nov 2007
Definitely Minami-ke. The first season is amazing. Also seconding Koi Kaze, which isn't that great in my opinion but has a nice take on a subject which is not often touched upon in anime, if at all.
HaimMar 6, 2010 4:01 AM
Mar 5, 2010 7:45 PM
Feb 2010
I agree with all those who said:
- Minami-Ke
- Clannad (and Clannad Afterstory)
- Natsume Yuujinchou

Mar 5, 2010 8:09 PM

Mar 2009
Junkers, Come Here!
Beautiful movie about family from director Junichi Sato (Princess Tutu, Aria)
Mar 5, 2010 8:22 PM

Oct 2009
bottle said:

Atashinchi
Dec 27, 2015 7:45 PM

Jan 2008
Make a new thread instead of necroing a 5~6 year old one.

More topics from this board

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

DaydreamPhoenix - 8 hours ago

4 by 8oomer »»
17 minutes ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Today

7 by this_shit_again »»
54 minutes ago

» looking for a specific anime. i don't know the name of and don't know much about.

popohater88 - Apr 10

2 by popohater88 »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - 2 hours ago

2 by 8oomer »»
2 hours ago

» Konosuba - order of watching

devapoid - Mar 31

3 by epsilono »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.