Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2008 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The transition from what's established in the previous 12 episodes and the immediate aftermath of Renton waking up in this episode with injured Eureka next to him, is so ubrupt and jarring it ruined the episode for me. What I mean is the whole interchange between him and Dominic was so rushed and with a really random choice of music (the 1st ED single) playing over it. And suddenly with no realistic pace Renton is capable and confident. Sure he's shown heroic traits briefly before, but I just didnt buy it in this episode.

Very weird episode and not handled well at all in my opinion.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 23, 2008 6:46 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, this episode left me really confused...
Oct 9, 2008 3:09 PM

Nov 2007
wasn't dominic with Intelligence? Why can't he read a map?
Nov 15, 2008 5:03 PM

Jun 2008
im as confused as ever..
Jun 8, 2009 10:06 PM

Jan 2009
Wouldn't it be dangerous to leave Eureka and the other girl alone and injured? I mean, couldn't they have fit both girls in the motorcycle instead of just leaving them in the desert? And also why'd it take the Gekko-Go so long to find them? Couldn't they have just traced the source of the explosion? And what was up with the military attacking Dominic at the end?

Even though this ep did not make any logical sense, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Jul 6, 2009 2:41 PM

Jul 2009
uhhh,liked it as ever...
*something written here*
Jul 26, 2009 11:00 PM

May 2008
Beatnik said:
The transition from what's established in the previous 12 episodes and the immediate aftermath of Renton waking up in this episode with injured Eureka next to him, is so ubrupt and jarring it ruined the episode for me.

Hmmm, sounds a lot like the last two episodes of Evangelion ending abruptly in "Congratulations!"... I find it strange how Evangelion gets that right since you did give it a 10...

I'm completely backwards than you lol. I thought evangelion was a trainwreck overflowing with confusion at the end, wheras although this episode didn't make much sense, it was engaging and fun to watch. If anything it made my view of the show go up, cause of the TTGL-like vibes it gave when Nirvash started to move on its own.

Love this show.
Jul 28, 2009 8:47 AM

Jan 2008
theeggman85 said:
Hmmm, sounds a lot like the last two episodes of Evangelion ending abruptly in "Congratulations!"... I find it strange how Evangelion gets that right since you did give it a 10...

What in the flying fuckaroo does the end of Evangelion have to do with episode 12 of Eureka Seven? The two anime are, save for the kid protagonist and mecha, completely different. I'll play along anyway: The end of Evangelion gets it right because it actually cares about its characters enough to break genre convention to resolve their arcs. Episode 12 of Eureka Seven tosses out characterisation, or pushes a reset button, or whatever the fuck the writer was thinking, just to appease a very casual mouth-breather type of viewer.

I'm completely backwards than you lol. I thought evangelion was a trainwreck overflowing with confusion at the end, wheras although this episode didn't make much sense, it was engaging and fun to watch. If anything it made my view of the show go up, cause of the TTGL-like vibes it gave when Nirvash started to move on its own.

Love this show.

Evangelion was consistent thematically, breaking genre convention at the end to advance its protagonist, whereas Eureka Seven ambles along with a ho-hum plotline that suddenly sacrifices characterisation and plot on a regular basis, episode 12 being one of those instances.

There's a reason why Evangelion will always be regarded as a classic, even by non-anime fans, and why Eureka Seven will be always 'oh just another mecha' type anime.

EDIT: flying fuckaroo. I just made that up. :P
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 23, 2009 1:43 PM

Jun 2009
I agree with you both on this; Evangelion did the mind rape thing better than Eureka Seven is doing, but on the other hand Eureka 7's episodes are slightly more enjoyable.

But then again, NGE is psychological and dramatic, whilst Eureka 7 isn't (at least from what I have seen so far)
Oct 17, 2010 1:17 AM

Mar 2009
That episode also left me alittle confused on some things. :/
But watching Dominic & Renton together was my highlight of this episode.

Oct 18, 2010 2:56 PM

Jun 2010
Man, That was some irritating crap music at the end.

Nov 27, 2010 2:33 PM

May 2009
Did I watch the same episode as you all?

I found no problem with it.

As for Renton suddenly seeming competent, perhaps it's the different environment. Before, he was all trying to suck up to this strange girl he liked, while being surrounded entirely by people superior to him on the social ladder--even the kids. But suddenly, Eureka is out of commission, and he's being confronted alone by a rival--but one who's another boy roughly his age. He's motivated by threat, competition, caring about Eureka, to actually try to survive and do stuff.

I was entertained by Dominic, though it really does surprise me he can't even read a map.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 19, 2011 12:08 AM

Aug 2010
Dominic not being able to read a map

whatever
Jan 10, 2012 10:08 AM

Aug 2008
goblinlady said:
wasn't dominic with Intelligence? Why can't he read a map?

It was interesting to see the contrast between the two couples. Both
at this point having a very long way to go. Dominic seems to be a
somewhat impatient guy, but he's incredibly patient and understanding
of Anemone. He may be trying to disguise it as duty. But he's going
above and beyond for other reasons, or else he wouldn't be coddling
her; he'd be using his command voice.

And Renton... well all these years since watching the show and he's
exactly as I remember him. Loud. And squirrelly. And for someone
who is incredibly ignorant about the world, he learns quickly how to
get around it. I shudder to think how lost Dominic would be without
Renton during that trip.

Feb 9, 2012 7:08 PM
Jan 2012
This Beatnik guy keeps bashing the series in every thread. what the fuck.
Feb 16, 2012 11:58 AM

Dec 2009
It seems like Renton is somehow connected to the Nirvash. Interesting :)

Awesome episode. The bickering between Renton and Dominic was fun.

The story seems sooo f'ing interesting.

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 9, 2012 8:15 AM

Sep 2011
Funny, I actually really liked this episode.

Seeing Dominic and Renton together was really entertaining, and it just makes me even more interested about what's going on/went on with Renton's sister.
Apr 17, 2012 11:20 PM

Jan 2011
I see a lot of parallels between Renton and Dominic even if the couples appear to be antagonists at this point. Some of the mysteries are being revealed but others are just emerging. And no, I don't believe that Eureka is just an oridinary girl...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 30, 2012 3:44 PM

Jan 2011
The military took just as long to find them, and thats exactly why Dominic was "shot at" by them. They simply exchanged shots, Holland and the others on one side, the military on the other side.

And why exactly would it be dangerous to leave them there? Dangerous animals? We haven't seen a single one in the series yet. There doesn't seem to be much crime, besides most likely corrupt military and rebels. Okay, the one stealing the bike..in exchange, Dominic stole the car.

Seeing that it had a sidecar, Dominic could have taken Anemone with him, though i don't think in her state, it would have been that good of an idea. I wonder though what his thoughts were about Renton - i mean, he wanted to go alone, meaning Renton would be alone with the two girls.

He knew Renton from the magazine (nice, not many anime use little stuff like that. Especially that Domimic immediately recognized Renton as he turned around. I wondered about his surprised look, but that explained it), but surely he didn't knew what Renton would do while he was away.

I find it interesting that no one noted this, if you think this episode has serious flaws.

Another thing is, Renton isn't a weakling. He has his problems with Eureka, and he's getting seasick, but he decided to leave home, to go with people he barely knows, he stayed a week (even ten days i think?) in the brig without complaining, he *did* ask that one guy that question, when the crew played a prank with him.

And he repeatedely stated that he really wants to protect Eureka. I mean, thats why he went with them in the first place. It isn't that surprising that he is able to stand up against someone that seems to be about his age, and who is in nearly the same situation, when nobody is there to help him, and Eureka is "in danger".

Also, he tends to ignore/forget rules and a bit lightheaded, too.

That Dominic can't read maps, and doesn't know where west is was surprising. Maybe because they only use modern equipment. A radar doesn't give you a map, and he isn't navigation anyways, he just says "get me there" or "shoot them down" and so.

Best thing was though, when they turned right after Renton said "west", i was like "did they find out where north is?". Well, seems they did, but that doesn't exactly help :P

This episode was funny as hell. Didn't reveal much, but raised more questions.

Eureka an ordinary girl? Surely not. But we knew as much before, or we could guess.And what was that about "true enemy"? Well, unlikely most anime, this one has enough episode to clear that stuff up. I "fear" there will be more question though..
Jul 20, 2012 1:48 PM
Jan 2010
Mantiz said:

he's mad that this show does everything better than shitangelion lol
Nov 18, 2012 9:17 AM

Sep 2010
I loved the interaction between Renton and Dominic in this episode.

Dominic is like me we can't read maps and can't tell from our right and left. My favorite character in the show and second is Holland. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 26, 2012 1:36 PM
Mar 2012
hznu said:
im as confused as ever..

This is my answer basically. I mean the meeting between Dominic and Renton is so sudden! Also how does Renton go from awkward and nervous to brave and confident? Flip Floppy much? I also believe eureka isn't an ordinary girl.
Mar 6, 2013 1:25 AM

Jan 2013
MJ0 said:
I like Renton a little less after watching this episode

He was great this episode.

I liked the dynamic between Dominic and Renton
Apr 8, 2013 5:06 PM
Apr 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:
He's motivated by threat, competition, caring about Eureka, to actually try to survive and do stuff.

I was entertained by Dominic, though it really does surprise me he can't even read a map.

Exactly! Renton shows his heroic traits only when he wants to protect someone and since he cares most about Eureka it's only natural that his concern for her pushes him farther than before.

I really liked the interaction between Renton and Dominic and I'm glad we didn't have bear more weird inexplicable stuff like in previous episode.

And besides.. I'm pretty sure Dominic doesn't know what's left and right either. Because instead of asking whether west is left or right he asked it in the fork and spoon fashion. This means hes just bad at directions, not quite uncommon in anime ;)
wailofthebanshee said:
Mantiz said:

Since this anime is quite different from NGE it is normal to like one but not the other. But at the same time they also have enough similarities to compare one to the other. It's his opinion anyway and you don't have to be so butt-hurt about it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and freedom of speech allows them to state it. If you get offended by every opinion that isn't the same as yours, then i wish you goodluck in life :P

That said, I didn't like NGE that much either and it was waaaayyy to messy near the end(before the last 2 eps) as they kept introducing new stuff in a fast pace without any explanation.

Morani90Apr 8, 2013 5:20 PM
Jun 13, 2013 9:24 AM

Jan 2012
The plot is developing nicely.

Jul 22, 2013 1:48 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I find Dominic very pretty lol. He seems like a really interesting character, after watching this episode. And I knew that he knew Renton's name because of the magazine :D They formed a friendly bond but then in the end Dominic says that they've probably met their enemy :(
Aug 2, 2013 4:25 AM

Jul 2012
-Roach- said:
Man, That was some irritating crap music at the end.

I loved the music in the last "fight" ;_;
Aug 4, 2013 12:05 PM

Sep 2012
wailofthebanshee said:
Mantiz said:

noft said...
Aug 25, 2013 1:07 AM

Apr 2013
Considering how much Renton loved Eureka throughout the entire series, I am not surprised at all that he showed such bravery. Why is that even an issue?

I did wonder why it took so long for the Gekko-Go and the military to find that spot though :o
Powerful eyebrows.
Mar 7, 2014 7:51 PM
Jan 2013
NwAurion said:
He knew Renton from the magazine (nice, not many anime use little stuff like that. Especially that Domimic immediately recognized Renton as he turned around. I wondered about his surprised look, but that explained it), but surely he didn't knew what Renton would do while he was away.

Actually, it's implied that he guessed on Renton's identity based on what he heard over the radio during the dream.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Jul 18, 2014 10:54 AM

Aug 2013
I still don't really understand the plot... so many questions.
I don't like secrets.. it's bad to keep it to yourself. XD
Jul 20, 2014 10:38 PM

Aug 2013
Now I'm really curious how Renton's connected with Nirvash. This is the second time Nirvash moved on its own and both times it was due to Renton's will to protect Eureka.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 18, 2014 3:34 PM

May 2012
Very interesting development, this episode sure was impressive and had a very unique flow to the episode! Let's see what will happen next.
Dec 4, 2014 8:04 PM

Aug 2013
Don't have enough mystery? HOW ABOUT MORE MYSTERIES? Seriously though, I'm confused as fuck, but it sure was flashy and interesting.

I never thought Dominic would know Renton. Well, he's from the military and I'm pretty Renton dad was in the military too, maybe he knows him from there. I never noticed that they seem to be around the same age too. He seem like the kind of character that may switch side at some point. Also, he was fucking hilarious with his north/south, east/west xD
Even Renton was impressed by his stupidity x)
That dude sure fell in love with an... interesting girl. Especially since she doesn't seem to give a fuck about him :(
I mean, just look when she rushed to the colonel at the episode 10...

Eureka have more and more headache. It look like it's related to the Nirvash. But the Nirvash being ''alive'', why would he do that to Eureka. What the hect is happening exactly?!? I'm so looooost!
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 25, 2015 8:22 PM

Mar 2014
EPIC :D
"I keep telling you, we keep going west!"
"Sorry, but is west the direction you hold your fork with?"
"This guy is really nuts!"
Jan 19, 2017 12:50 PM
Aug 2014
So Dominic arrives at the scene of the aftermath of a battle between Anenome and another mecha and instead of detaining them he decides to go on a road trip with one of the enemy combatants instead of calling for back-up?
Jun 21, 2017 5:01 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah this was kinda all over the place for me. Dom and Renton fast friends then enemies was very jarring.
Sep 26, 2017 1:49 PM

Jul 2013
I half watched this episode because it seemed like not much was happening so I kinda went on my phone a bit.

Going from enemies to best buddies that quick was very odd and not much else happened until the end.
Oct 11, 2017 1:07 PM
Mar 2017
I am taking attachment to the ending!
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jul 8, 2019 5:42 PM

Apr 2019
It is impossible for a soldier to don't know what is left or right. I guess Dominic became friends with Renton because they are both in a similar situation, but, yeah, if you stop to think about it, the whole roadtrip situation was kind of dumb. And, finally, Renton noticed that Eureka's name appeared in the Amita drive the whole time.
Dec 22, 2020 9:48 AM

Jul 2017
Very inconsistent thematic episode this one was, and even the last one too. Everything just feels sloppily put together narratively without much actual thought going into it. The comedy bits weren't even that great whenever Renton and Dominic were goofing about.
Oct 10, 2021 7:36 AM

Mar 2016
An unlikely friendship that blooms by their shared fate. Renton and Eureka of the Gekkostate against Dominic and Anemone of the military.

This ep is the direct aftermath of the chaos and trippy dream state that was the previous ep. I actually like how Renton and Dominic kinda get along, especially how each of them got a girl they cared about that are DEFINITELY JUST A COUPLE OF ORDINARY GIRLS. Yeah, cut your bullshit Holland, even as dense as Renton can be, he now finally realize the inconsistencies of Eureka's identity.

Neither the military nor Gekkostate are willing to brief Renton on anything. Holland is quite literally using Renton to further his goals with Renton only being able to nod in agreement. Damn, at this point, you have to be a master detective theorist if you ever want to know anything of this world because we know as little as Renton does. The show kept feeding the audience more and more mystery without explaining the past mysteries that were introduced before. Granted that there're still plenty of eps to go, but I hope that they don't leave gaping plot holes behind by the time this show is over.
Sep 15, 2022 8:28 AM
Jun 2017
The show starts to do something somewhat interesting with the military guy and Renton being parallel to each other, but it separates them too quickly and I feel like I can't be bothered much more with the show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 11, 2008

66 by chenfeng »»
Apr 6, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

death919 - May 4, 2008

283 by ShadowkillZ »»
Mar 22, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 31, 2008

89 by Awesomepants25 »»
Feb 6, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 11 Discussion

aero - Jul 23, 2008

48 by Teatime_X »»
Jan 15, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 38 Discussion

aero - Aug 1, 2008

33 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.