Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 20, 2007 4:54 PM

Nov 2006
All I can say is, I cried and cried and cried.
I just don't believe it's over....he's just sleeping.......
May 20, 2007 9:28 PM

Jan 2007
That was a spectacular episode. I would have never expected something like this to happen, even knowing the title of this episode from the preview of the last episode Oh wait, i knew this was gonna happen because i was spoiled in irc. thanks a lot windy. But the emotions were still there. This is plot-twists at its best. The action scenes were also great. I guess something like this has to happen especially when the whole Kamina x Yoko thing finally materialized. Poor Simon. I am so looking forward to the aftermath of this episode. I might be in the minority but i will not like it if Kamina was somehow still alive after this. You do not build up the emotion and then have it all taken away.
May 20, 2007 11:03 PM

Oct 2006
Love the episode. But I get the feeling he might return in some form. Watch the prologue of the 1st episode closely. For sometime now, I've been thinking that it takes place in the future and was a bit of foreshadowing for us. Now with the acquisition of the battleship type ganmen, it seems very probable. Oh, about that battleship, where is the wave motion gun?

Yeah I also have to agree with Faust, at this point it would be better storytelling if he stayed dead. I might be mistaken, but I think I remember reading somewhere that this show is aired on a Sunday morning time slot, if that's so, they definitely won't be going the seinen route.
kioMay 21, 2007 12:05 AM
May 20, 2007 11:10 PM

Nov 2006
Faust721 said:
That was a spectacular episode. I would have never expected something like this to happen, even knowing the title of this episode from the preview of the last episode Oh wait, i knew this was gonna happen because i was spoiled in irc. thanks a lot windy. But the emotions were still there. This is plot-twists at its best. The action scenes were also great. I guess something like this has to happen especially when the whole Kamina x Yoko thing finally materialized. Poor Simon. I am so looking forward to the aftermath of this episode. I might be in the minority but i will not like it if Kamina was somehow still alive after this. You do not build up the emotion and then have it all taken away.
I'm truly sorry Faust :(
And I'm beginning to agree with not wanting him to come back...though I'd be relieved the best character of the show came back....it just wouldn't be the same.
May 20, 2007 11:47 PM

Apr 2007
yeah prologue on the first episode showed they were on a big ship...
May 21, 2007 12:22 AM

Jan 2007
After watching the prolouge again, i think that Kamina wont be back and that Simon is gonna become an awesome character.
May 21, 2007 12:44 AM
Apr 2007
i have to apolgize to faust as well...i spoke out of the line on the irc channel too without thinking that others may not have seen this episode and gave away the spoiler...i'm sorry if i ruined this episode for you...it was really inconsiderate of me...

after watching this episode, i would prefer if kamina does come back...the main reason being is that i think that he has a lot of possibilities as a character to develop...however, with how well this episode ended it, i'll still be very satisfied if he doesn't come back...and indeed, this episode was pretty depressing...what caught me even more off guard was the kissing scene between yoko and kamina...it came out of nowhere and simon caught it at the wrong time...this kissing scene was kind of was the reason why kamina died too...if simon never saw it, he could have concentrated in the battle and kamina wouldn't have had to stop and punch him to snap him out of it and avoided his death...

another thing i'm happy about is that viral was knocked away in this episode, so he's still alive somewhere...now i'm just wondering who the hell that girl in the previews is and who is gonna pilot the gurren now that kamina is gone (maybe that girl?)...
May 21, 2007 8:19 AM

Jan 2007
so much GAR!!!
;_;
May 21, 2007 12:06 PM

Dec 2006
amazing episode

cant wait to see the impact this brings to the rest of the characters

May 21, 2007 1:26 PM

Mar 2007
This episode was just...mind blowing. And SO sad - Kamina was my favourite character ;___;

I just...I'm actually a bit lost for words o___o The action sequences were so incredibly cool, my face was like...stuck to my monitor.

I reckon the next episode will be just as sad. It'll be how all the characters are dealing with the loss.

And what happened to Viral!? D:

May 21, 2007 1:26 PM

Apr 2007
I'd love to go back and watch the beginning of the first episode again. However, think about how the series was intended to be seen. The show is being broadcast 1 episode per week. The first episode aired a long time ago. By now, most people will have forgotten the intricate details of it.

This episode was perfect. They certainly have a firm grip on our emotions. Kamina meant a lot to us and to the other characters. I'm looking forward to see how his death plays out and the development of the other characters in response to his death.

May 22, 2007 10:53 AM

Apr 2007
T_T
May 22, 2007 2:44 PM

Apr 2007
I'll have to agree I really liked this episode, and despite how much I wish they wouldn't kill of Kamina, it was coming and it'll only make the show better T.T
May 22, 2007 9:31 PM

Nov 2006
lots of emotions, man.........i cant believe it kamina

speaking of the first one, im trying to figure out who is the guy with the orange glasses

May 22, 2007 11:16 PM

Mar 2007
Taking a look at the prologue, it's pretty obvious that that's Simon in the future, with Gurren-Lagann, aswell as Daiganzan. I'd say there's a massive possibility of the dude with yellow glasses being Kamina.

Atleast, I hope there is.

May 23, 2007 1:01 AM

Nov 2006
I'm still voting for Kamiboota, lmao.

Stupid theories ftw!
May 25, 2007 12:32 PM

Jan 2007
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Though I liked Kamina, I gotta say I feel more for Yoko and Simon, being left behind to deal with the loss. Poor Yoko had just let him know how she felt, and Kamina was the only family Simon had, after the death of his parents (though probably not necessarily blood related).

Kamina... needs to stay dead. If he doesn't, I'm afraid that'll ruin the show.
May 26, 2007 9:57 PM

Oct 2006
I'm kinda torn on the bringing Kamina back issue. On the one hand, he's my favorite character and I think his personality is a lot of what makes this show so awesome. On the other, I wholly agree that it'd ruin the emotional content of the plot to just bring him back.
May 27, 2007 7:58 PM

Aug 2006
Say it ain't so, say it ain't so ... KAMINA!!! Damn, that episode was awesome. Too bad Kamina had to die. I wonder what direction now the series would head in. Of course, we all knew that this was going to happen from the title of the episode but it still hits hard.

Faust721 said:
After watching the prolouge again, i think that Kamina wont be back and that Simon is gonna become an awesome character.

I hope so. From the very first episode I have a feeling that Simon is going to do something spectacular. Hopefully, that path has opened up now. Honestly, now I really want to see Simon die doing something incredible in the very last episode and then join Kamina, I think that would be great.
zanmato666May 27, 2007 8:04 PM
Jun 8, 2007 5:21 AM

Aug 2006
O_o I'm behind... I just watched this episode (and epi 9) last night...

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

T_T T_T T_T T_T T_T

I'm in mourning now...
Jun 12, 2007 10:07 AM

May 2007
This was by far the best episode that I've seen up to this point. It had a a bit of everything. Thankfully it didn't Simon's jealousy didn't get way out of hand, since his loyalty of brotherhood with Kamina is strong. Still, it was just enough for a life to be lost. However, the smile on Kamina's face was enough to understand that his sacrafice was not in vain and that he accepted his fate with burning spirit... and what not. I wonder what the next episodes will bring
Oct 13, 2007 6:18 AM

Feb 2007
Yoshi's "behind the times" rant time!

Oh man, what a heartbreaker. Why!? WHY! I was too obsessed with Higurashi at the time to be watching this, and now I'm obsessed with this show(while all of you are probably obsessed with a Spring Anime). I sorta saw it coming (seeing this particular spoiler a while back) but I've kept hearing lately lots of things that Kamina comes back or that he stays dead, so I have no clue (please don't spoil) about the fate of Kamina until I watched the episode myself. Though you guys all know, It would be better if he stayed dead. If he does come back, I wouldn't mind...but it wouldn't have the same impact.

I'm just plain depressed instead of in tears. The only times I've had this feeling is after I finished Season 1 of Higurashi and finishing Sola. Moving the score to 10 now.
Oct 14, 2007 2:12 AM

Jul 2007
8.99 score so far >.< only .02 behind number 1. all we need is a push for scores 10 from everyone ^^ cmon ppl.
Nov 28, 2007 2:45 AM

Nov 2007
I wish this hadn't been spoiled (I'd read an episode 9 plot summary that mentioned "grieving kamina's death" or something along those lines) otherwise I'd be in total shock. Seriously though, EASILY the BEST TTGL EPISODE YET!

Ahhhh!! So good, I'll get an irc download going right now for tomorrow! g'night everyone.

Yeah, Kamina coming back later would be kind of ridiculous story wise. :P
Dec 26, 2007 11:51 AM

Jul 2007
Its stupid that they killed him, after this episode TTGL is boring. :S
Jan 3, 2008 2:46 PM

May 2007
I can't believe Kamina died......he was my favorite character
Jan 12, 2008 2:09 PM

Jan 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Jan 16, 2008 12:19 PM

Mar 2005
well, that was nice. easily best episode in the entire series, boosted the score up by 1. i hear after this the show gets a shitload better. let's hope so, so far it's been quite disappointing for me.
Jan 20, 2008 8:15 AM

Jan 2008
I am so freakin' bummed out, he was becoming one of my all time favourite characters! Luckily I've stayed away from all information on this show other than knowing its got high praise everywhere, so it was a pleasent surprise in a weird way to get shocked like that. Although to be honest I knew things were going to end up messy because everything was going so well for the brigade (plus the couple hooked up way too early, which although was a refreshing change, clearly signalled...THE END)

I agree with the 'bringing him back will ruin the show' crowd. I hate when they bring back dead characters, it makes previous episodes worthless.

You got to have balls to kill off a character like that (providing they're not bringing him back) so I'm interested in how they keep the momentum of the show after this episode.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 21, 2008 8:50 PM

Dec 2007
Unfortunately, I had Kamina's dead kind of spoiled. I don't remember what I was reading, that gave me that feeling and stopped immediately. But I had that in my mind bugging me while watching the series. He's my favorite character, and I was just expecting for that to not be true.

Even though, I had no idea that was gonna happen, it was shocking. Just after he and Yoko had hook up. I feel sorry for Yoko and Simon, specially for Simon. But I guess we all have to move on. =(

One minute of silence for Kamina-sama.
Feb 16, 2008 8:35 PM
Feb 2008
FenixAiur said:
Unfortunately, I had Kamina's dead kind of spoiled

Yeah same here, I got spoiled from /a/. I think simon is really going to mature but I don't know how he can make it on his own without someone to push him along/ combine with him.
Feb 24, 2008 8:32 AM
Feb 2008
Damn, I can't believe Kamina died. He was like, the reason I watched the show.

Damn...;_;
Feb 27, 2008 7:55 AM

Oct 2007
Viral said:
This episode was just...mind blowing. And SO sad - Kamina was my favourite character ;___;

I just...I'm actually a bit lost for words o___o The action sequences were so incredibly cool, my face was like...stuck to my monitor.

I reckon the next episode will be just as sad. It'll be how all the characters are dealing with the loss.

And what happened to Viral!? D:

Viral is celebrating Kamina's death
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2008 2:07 AM

Feb 2008
I'm with a few of the folks above here, kind of behind with this series but I'm on episode 9 now. As for Kamina, I sadly had this spoiled thanks to freaking GOOGLE IMAGES. Damnit! Kamina was so cool, I just had to look up images of him and whatnot and then I saw it. This isn't the first time Google images has spoiled something for me ...

Regardless, the emotion was still there. And I have to agree with a lot of others here, he was by FAR one of the best characters I've ever seen. It'll be interesting to see how the series plays out from here, because it's just hard to imagine without him. I'm really feeling it for Simon though, I'm sure he turns around, same with Yoko.

As for bringing Kamina back, yeah I don't know. I think some flashbacks and things like that could be really awesome though, which can probably be expected.

Well, I'm not sure who I'm talking to here since the majority of you guys have already seen this, but yeah. :P
Mar 4, 2008 8:55 PM

Sep 2007
Miraculously, I did not receive this spoiler due to a serious warning from my friend NOT to find out anything about this series before I watch it. I am glad that he was the one that watched it first and warned me, otherwise, episode 8 would not be as epic for me as I have experienced. Although I am really sad that Kamina died, his last moment where he pulled out the Giga Drill Breaker was nothing short of epic. This is where the TTGL really starts to become a great series but still.... Kamina........ T.T
Mar 4, 2008 9:58 PM

Feb 2008
Infernal said:
Miraculously, I did not receive this spoiler due to a serious warning from my friend NOT to find out anything about this series before I watch it. I am glad that he was the one that watched it first and warned me, otherwise, episode 8 would not be as epic for me as I have experienced. Although I am really sad that Kamina died, his last moment where he pulled out the Giga Drill Breaker was nothing short of epic. This is where the TTGL really starts to become a great series but still.... Kamina........ T.T

Yeah myself and all my friends were spoiled from it. Glad that didn't happen to you.
Mar 6, 2008 10:37 AM

Dec 2007
Whoa, a late watcher who didn't have Kamina's dead spoiled... I envy you. ='(
Mar 6, 2008 5:19 PM

Nov 2007
lol I was spoiled, multiple times.

But still...

KAMINNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! T_T
Mar 11, 2008 12:53 PM

Dec 2007
:'(
Apr 8, 2008 4:31 PM

Dec 2007
I luckily did not have it spoiled for me, I rarely look up information on an anime before I start watching it because I want everything to be a surprise, and I NEVER look up any information on a show I'm watching.

For the actual episode, I was really surprised to see that Yoko kissed Kamina because she seemed like she had a thing for Simon and in this episode we obviously see that Simon has feelings for her. I knew that as soon as Kamina was injured that it was the end for him, it was quite epic to have one of the main characters die this early in the series, I wasn't expecting it at all. Now Simon is going to be taking on the role of leader and (actual) main character, which is kind of expected because it was his narration that introduced the show and not Kamina's.

#NBHNC
Apr 16, 2008 2:34 AM

Nov 2007
NOO~ KAMINAA TT_TT
Apr 16, 2008 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
Dammit! Him and Yoko...were...
T____________T

What an amazing episode though.
Apr 26, 2008 9:39 AM

Apr 2008
Kamina is sure to be one of the best characters ever. And he will never be forgotten.
Manly tears fell.

TT^TT
Apr 30, 2008 8:23 PM

Oct 2007
wow. kamina was the best part of the show . and they killed him so early?!!
May 2, 2008 5:56 PM

Dec 2007
so many surprises in this episode, i didnt that would happend, holy sh...

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

May 2, 2008 9:28 PM

Apr 2008
I thought the ep was alright, but I definitely hated the fact that they eliminated Kamina so early on and then kept reminding you of his contributions for the remainder of the series.
Jun 3, 2008 6:11 PM

Mar 2008
NUUU. TT________TT

Lol, late watcher is late. I accidentally had this spoiled for me, so I delayed watching this episode for a while. But it still was successfully effective, though.

Anyways, I thought that this was the best episode of Gurren Lagann from what I've seen before this. This episode was like an emotional roller coaster-even if GL brings to mind a lot of anime cliches, there's some great writing if you really emphatize with the characters. Especially with regards to Kamina's death. When he was fatally hit, I literally started crying, then when Gurren Lagann combined which resulted in an EPIC battle scene I was cheering for them to win, though I eventually knew that Kamina was going to die later, anyways (and resumed in sadness). I liked the imagery with the rain after Kamina dies-you just hear the sound as you see everyone else in agony, then Simon says solemny, "We lost something important that day."

But anyways, I'm looking forward to the next episode-I see Simon's growth is going to be a pivotal point in the series, assuming that Kamina fills the "mentor" archetype, who is supposed to help the hero realize their own potential, then passes away so the hero can actually reach their own potential by instigating internal change within themselves, you know? And I'm also interested in seeing how Yoko will grow through this as well, considering that she just confessed her love for him before he died. And previewing the next episode, looks like we have Nia emerging as part of the cast now!
Jun 14, 2008 3:40 AM

Mar 2007
GOOD GOD im glad that obnoxious ignorant pompus idiot died. AND he laid his lips on Yoko... thats like a beggar trying to kiss a princess, it should NEVER happen.

Why am i glad he's dead? For the past 8 episodes its been the same:
(Excerpt from IRC)
[03:30] <Rani> Simon: "im so scared!"
[03:30] <Rani> Kamina and/or Yoko: "keep it together! Be strong!"
[03:30] <Rani> Simon: "Ill do it because you say so!! RAWRRR!!!!"
[03:30] <Rani> (they win the battle...THE END)

Maybe we might get some decent episodes starting now...

EDIT: yes wini did spoil the crap out of this and therefore postponed my viewing of this so far decent show but my hatred for Kamina was so large i still remember that stupid spoiler.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 17, 2008 10:31 PM

Dec 2007
I cried...A LOT, after seeing this episode. I seriously called my friend and I was just bawling. The whole part with Yoko before the battle was COMPLETELY adorable, and I was wanting so much more of that after...but I guess not. T_T

I'm just hoping that Simon becomes so much stronger from this. I know he can do it! <3
Jun 18, 2008 9:24 AM

Apr 2008
Ranivus said:
GOOD GOD im glad that obnoxious ignorant pompus idiot died. AND he laid his lips on Yoko... thats like a beggar trying to kiss a princess, it should NEVER happen.
Sterf flikker! How dare you say that. Kamina is a freaking badass, one of the best there is. He's no idiot he's a god compared to some caracters in anime. And for gods sake why isnt Kamina worthy to kiss Yoko? Because his lame little brother has a crush on her?! Buzz off, man.

BTW: Yoko liked Kamina since episode one, diddnt you notice...... But he started calling her fat-ass after, she told him she wansnt from the surface. Even Dayaka said so.

And all of Kitans sister love Kamina he's a freaking player. Simons a nobody, he even said so himself.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1151 by Spiral26 »»
Apr 8, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.