Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (21) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2010 8:37 PM

Feb 2008
Finally started Rose of Versailles myself and all I've gotta say so far, is it's been awhile since a show pulled me in so well right off the bat, but I'm already hooked.
Apr 4, 2010 3:05 PM

Apr 2008
Thanks Young Vagabond! (Somehow I found it weird to write this...)

Good to hear that you started Versailles, Echelon. I'm curious about your thoughts on the show. Don't forget to write back later.
Apr 6, 2010 7:46 AM

Mar 2009
Well finally finished LotGH and I feel a large empteness in my life now :P

Just started Mospeada

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Apr 6, 2010 10:34 AM

Apr 2008
slenderfall said:
Well finally finished LotGH and I feel a large empteness in my life now :P

It's the common emptiness upon finishing great series. It'll be hard to fill the gap. But meanwhile you can try the Gaiden series, which are a prequel to the long series.
Apr 10, 2010 5:54 AM

Apr 2008
During this last week I watched;

Love Position, Legend of the Halley
An ok OVA from 85 which could have been much better if it wasn't for the the same usual reasons that cursed most of Tezuka Productions in the 80s. Low budget.
You can still feel that the original idea must have been greater but it got lost along the way of this production and the result is a pretty forgettable Terminator wannabe influenced animation. Still, you can subtract decent aspects of the OVA like the lovely Lamina.

Lily C.A.T.
Awesome animation for 1987!
This was a lot in the first Alien movie and They Were Eleven style, therefore a pretty good thriller, where a team is sent to space on their own, but somewhere along the way they notice something on the ship.
I watched this one on US English dub and the dub was surprisingly good, it was directed by Carl Macek, I don't know if I have watched any dubs of him in the past, but I'll keep an eye open now.
Apr 15, 2010 4:25 AM

Apr 2008
Watched both Hurricane Live! OVAs.
They're a bunch of scenes of Bubblegum Crisis pasted together with the music of the Priss and her band playing in a TV video clip style with the credits shown in the end of every music. the first OVA is made with scenes and music from crisis while the second includes some live action footage of the girls singing (possibly the original seyuus) between some scenes from Crash.

It was OK stuff, naturally it is only recommended to people who have seen bubblegum crisis and Bubblegum Crash

I gave it;
2032 - 7/10 (mostly because of "Konya Wa Hurricane", you know, the starting song of Crisis)
2033 - 6/10
Apr 16, 2010 2:13 PM

Dec 2007
My Neighbour Totoro
9/10
Cuz of umbrellas.

Deep inside I'm only 4 years old.

Update:
Carol: A Day in a Girls Life
It was fun and for 91 the art is pretty nice and cared. Story was stupid as ever, but I also think they had too much to talk about in just 59 minutes. Not especially recommended, 6/10
ladyxzeusApr 16, 2010 2:44 PM
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 16, 2010 3:56 PM

Feb 2009
Ginga Hyôryû Vifam.

13 children running a full-scale spaceship and beating the shit out of an alien military with (most likely) experienced soldiers, if you can get along with that, it's worth a watch. Shares some similarities with Tomino's L-Gaim (a few people fighting against a much more powerful enemy, serious-funny-space-travel-adventure), and has a more coherent story.
I didn't like some of the characters, but that's due to the fact that they're children and behave like children.
Apr 16, 2010 5:59 PM

Dec 2009
I watched a crazy Gaiking compilation movie recently from the FORCE FIVE syndication of various old super robot shows.

It was quite good fun, but really made me wish that the original Gaiking series would be subbed. The idea of a baseball powered robot and a flying dinosaur ship appeals to me - and from seeing it in Super Robot Wars, it has interesting enough abilities.

I'm also in the middle of watching Revolutionary Girl Utena and Nadia, but neither of those are particularly oldschool. The last really classic shows I watched were probably Voltes V and Mobile Suit Gundam, both of which I loved.

I also want to watch Urusei Yatsura at some point. Lum No Love Song is catchy as whatever...
Apr 16, 2010 7:50 PM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:
My Neighbour Totoro
9/10
Cuz of umbrellas.

Deep inside I'm only 4 years old.

Good thing that you still had Totoro to watch.

The great thing about Miyazaki, is that he has done lots of great works. The bad thing, is when you notice that you don't have more Old School Miyazaki works to watch anymore.

I forgot to add this one to the relations list.
MS06FZ said:
I watched a crazy Gaiking compilation movie recently from the FORCE FIVE syndication of various old super robot shows.
I always wanted to check on Gaiking but that's a hard one.

MS06FZ said:
I'm also in the middle of watching Revolutionary Girl Utena and Nadia, but neither of those are particularly oldschool. The last really classic shows I watched were probably Voltes V and Mobile Suit Gundam, both of which I loved.
Nadia is pretty much an old school title as it is from '89, though it's revolutionary character designs say otherwise. Can't say I really recommend it since I had mixed feeling s about the series. For Utena, though it is not an old school anime, I'd vividly recommend it to you Rose Of Versailles before it, that is if you haven't seen that one. the "Old School is better" factor has nothing to do with this recommendation.

MS06FZ said:
I also want to watch Urusei Yatsura at some point. Lum No Love Song is catchy as whatever...

Urusei Yatsura is definitely a great pick.
RobdeFRApr 16, 2010 8:24 PM
Apr 17, 2010 5:34 AM

Dec 2009
I just remembered the other oldschool greats I've been watching of late - Space Runaway Ideon and Zeta Gundam. Another two great shows, in my opinion. I loved the horrible inevitability of Be Invoked's climax, and the foreshadowing of it you got throughout A Contact.

EDIT:

My word, I just finished Nadia.

That was quite an ending, given it devolved into a long succession of Matsumoto Leiji homages and other retro references.
MS06FZApr 18, 2010 5:47 PM
Apr 19, 2010 1:46 PM

Dec 2007
Ok, so I'm done with G Gundam.

So far the worst of the series I've ever watched. Damn, it has not a single place to hold it together. I understand this was made for children and whatsoever, but ZZ was as well and did a much greater job for an older work.

The art of GG was terrible, the designs of the robots ridiculous to a point of no return.

The story lacked any kind of sense. It does not seem to have been made in purpose, or as a parody, or as a comment, or as anything. They simply did not know best.

The characters were the most interesting part, but the hero of this series was the least interesting so far. Domon is everything a Gundam pilot should be and never was before. He even has a dem cape.

I liked the progression of the love story in the last two-three episodes, almost drew me a tear, and this is the only reason it's a 5 and not a 4. Was almost a 4 when they came up with that LOVELOVELOVE final attack. Wtf.

This was also the first time I've ever seen a Super-Gundam, of the super robot kind. I did not like it. I like Gundams as the machines they are, controlled by whatever Newtypism they find, but - in the end - machines. This time, they had their own lives. And super powers. And power ups. Did not like.

Final veredict 5/10 just because the DOMOOOOONNNNN and the RAAAAAAAIIIIINNNNN was kind of cute.
Apr 19, 2010 3:06 PM

Apr 2008
MS06FZ said:

That was quite an ending, given it devolved into a long succession of Matsumoto Leiji homages and other retro references.

I think I missed those homages.

@ladyxzeus
You still gave G Gundam a 5. I'm looking forward for that series. :D
Apr 19, 2010 3:26 PM

Dec 2009
RobdeFR said:
MS06FZ said:

I think I missed those homages.

@ladyxzeus
You still gave G Gundam a 5. I'm looking forward for that series. :D

The main Leiji homages I noticed were the constant similarities between the New Nautilus and bits of Space Battleship Yamato, right down to Electra's new look and outfit being very Yamato/Harlock inspired.

Then there were the obvious Gunbuster references too - I never thought I'd hear the voice of Anavel Gato shouting HOMING LASER!
Apr 19, 2010 3:32 PM

Dec 2007
For me a 5 is below average. It's not good when something gets a 5. Means that I liked near to nothing on it. 4 would mean I liked near to absolute nothing. 3 means I liked nothing. 2 means I hated everything. I don't 1. xD

Now for two modern series and then another Gundam! I think that after G the Gundams get out of this clubs range, but for me they are still all old school - except for the 00 and all.
Apr 19, 2010 6:34 PM

Feb 2008
G Gundam >>>>>>>>>>>> Seed/00.
Apr 19, 2010 10:53 PM

Dec 2007
Any Gundam with OP by Gackt >>>>>>>>> Any other Gundam
I think Seed is one of them.
Apr 20, 2010 2:06 AM

Mar 2009
Just finished Maku Senjo which started out really good and I thought it was going to be an intersting anime about paronia and lost love, but half way through it just turned into the usual macho madness with silly plot - still the fight scenes were pretty gory 6/10

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Apr 20, 2010 3:39 AM

Apr 2008
I have Maku Sanryo on my HDD ready for a anime session. I'll do it one of these days.
Apr 21, 2010 5:13 AM

Apr 2008
Just watched The Sensualist. I was actually quite pleased to have watched this one. The art was very good, it was Japanese classic orientated, the animation style was a compliment to the art, and in some scenes would become experimental in the erotic field, filled with sexual references but without being vulgar as Slenderfall mentioned on the Unusual Is Better club, therefore being quite sensual.
I enjoyed how the story developed too, it used the story of other man to tell the story of the merchant and it did it's work well.
I gave it an 8/10.
Apr 21, 2010 10:19 AM

Dec 2008
To be quite honest, it would be Trigun (its considered to be old enough, right?) I absolutely loved it, and now I'm looking for another old anime. SLAYERS sounds interesting to me right now. =]
Apr 21, 2010 10:29 AM

Apr 2008
Welcome to the club Eka.

Around here, any anime that started in '95 onwards is not considered Old School for the club purposes, therefore Trigun and Slayers aren't included to the Club. Feel free to discuss any other titles that were released prior to 1995.
Apr 21, 2010 11:11 AM

Oct 2007
Hmm..the last old school anime that I've finished was Makyu Senjo and Plawres Sanshirou. About Makyu Senjo, I quote slenderfall words, but I gave 5/10. Plawres Sanshirou was fun, I gave a 6/10. Now watching Armored Trooper Votoms: The Brilliant Heretic with BRO-lord subs. Great subs! I hope that they make all 5 episodes.
Apr 21, 2010 12:00 PM

May 2008
(I'm new here; please treat me well~)

The last old school show I completed was Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (or Ronin Warriors, whatever). It was pretty fun but not the greatest thing in the world. I ended up giving it a 7 out of 10.

I think before that, the last old show I finished was Ideon, immediately followed by Be Invoked. Good series, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again. ;_;

Currently I'm making my way through Zeonic-Corps' fansub of the original Gundam TV series. I've seen the movies already, but it's fun to watch the TV series for all the little details that were left out. Also, it's SO nice to finally hear the original voices.
Apr 21, 2010 2:05 PM

Apr 2008
Welcome to the club shiroihikari!

I can understand your point of view about the Ideon series, I think so too, for me the movies in the other hand are to be viewed several times.

I stalled my viewing of the original Gundam released by Zeonic Corps some time ago, I have to get back to it, it's just not a urgent matter by the time, but as you say it was nice to hear the original voices after having watched the whole series in US english Dub years ago, not that the original US dub was bad, I think it was quite good actually, the voice actor behind Char had a very smooth voice and rivalled Char Japanese voice.

I also want to find some time in the future to watch the original trilogy movies, I hear they have some different scenes including the ending.
RobdeFRApr 21, 2010 4:43 PM
Apr 22, 2010 11:34 AM

Jan 2008
I've recently watched Honoo no Tenkousei.
It was really nice and funny. Good old Gainax production: drive, action(it's a fighting nevertheless) and a lot of parody. The plot actually is a good one, i was pleasantly surprised=)
[Old School Anime Club]
Apr 22, 2010 11:59 AM

Apr 2008
I have that one on the HDD. Looks funny. Since it's a fast session , i may as well watch it this night.
Apr 22, 2010 2:27 PM

Apr 2008
I almost forgot. I watched Arion yesterday.

Arion was based on a manga of the same name by Yazuhico Yoshikazu, the man behind the original Gundam Series character designs (yes those ones). This raised my curiosity on the work, even if the story turned out weak I'd still be able to reminisce with his great character designs. Turned out that the story was also good so the enjoyment was there.

The story is a fictitious work using several gods from the Greek mythology with the character Arion as the main role. Curious fact is that Arion was a poet in the ancient greece but here he's portrayed as an Titan.

The story was quite epic, but the script had some flaws here and there. I haven't read the original manga but this was proibably not the best adaptation that the director could come out with.
I think that this would have turned out a magnificent series instead of a 2 hour movie. Several scenes were rushed so that the action could move on without the proper treatment and without regard of the viewer, the pace of some scenes was destroyed by that fact.

Still a good watch.

And I've recognized Joe Hisaishi music in the end, due to his recognizable piano tunes near the end.

7/10
RobdeFRApr 22, 2010 2:31 PM
Apr 23, 2010 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
I agree about Arion. Good idea, poorly executed.
May 4, 2010 7:50 AM

Dec 2009
I watched Macross II recently and was very impressed. The art was spectacular for the most part, and the plot, while nothing hugely ground breaking, used the elements you'd come to expect of a Macross show very effectively.

I liked the love triangle for what is was - the fact that Hibiki ultimately was prepared to give up on Ishtar was interesting - and the mech designs were very nice.

I also liked how the UNS had gotten arrogant and plain nasty - it, along with the new look of red, blue and gold, gave the show a feel reminiscent of Zeta Gundam. Especially the bit where they broke into the room to stop the broadcast.
May 4, 2010 3:11 PM

Apr 2007
Just finished Bubblegum Crisis, women in power armour<3. Next show to finish up in Dagwon, which isn't quite old school enough due it being from '96/97 I believe (it was the Braves series before Gaogaigar).
Also currently watching Fighbird for more Braves goodness (Dagwon is more like animated Super Sentai/Power Rangers than a traditional Braves series) and some of Daitarn 3, mostly cos I have to check the translation before the subs get released.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
May 7, 2010 11:57 PM

Nov 2007
Oh yeah, I finished Angel Cop recently which was a little better than it looked. Nothing much to say. Some cool death scenes made it worth it. 6/10
May 8, 2010 10:56 PM

Feb 2008
starseeker said:
Just finished Bubblegum Crisis, women in power armour<3. Next show to finish up in Dagwon, which isn't quite old school enough due it being from '96/97 I believe (it was the Braves series before Gaogaigar).
Also currently watching Fighbird for more Braves goodness (Dagwon is more like animated Super Sentai/Power Rangers than a traditional Braves series) and some of Daitarn 3, mostly cos I have to check the translation before the subs get released.

Bubblegum Crisis is so awesome. 80's moe, lol.

I would say stuff like Iria and the 90's Birdy OVA kind of have the same vibe, hot chicks kicking ass, fun stuff, without being TOO dumb or silly.
May 9, 2010 9:44 AM

Apr 2008
HisokaHajime said:
Oh yeah, I finished Angel Cop recently which was a little better than it looked. Nothing much to say. Some cool death scenes made it worth it. 6/10

I really enjoyed the beginning of the OVA then it became too generic. It was a fun ride though.
Echelon said:
starseeker said:

Bubblegum Crisis is so awesome. 80's moe, lol.

I would say stuff like Iria and the 90's Birdy OVA kind of have the same vibe, hot chicks kicking ass, fun stuff, without being TOO dumb or silly.

I think so too, but they did have an annoying character there, the pink aired girl. But she kind of resigned herself on one episode.
May 9, 2010 5:17 PM

Nov 2007
RobdeFR said:

I really enjoyed the beginning of the OVA then it became too generic. It was a fun ride though.

Agreed. I thought the first two episodes were really good and then it dipped a bit. Started to go away from what made it appealing in the first place.
May 9, 2010 11:18 PM

Feb 2008
Well, I just finished Rose of Versailles. I gave it a 10 before I even finished it and that last arc was pretty much LOGH tier stuff.

I wonder outside of some of the characters, how accurate was the show?

Edit: I'm reading up on a lot of this stuff on wiki now and this is pretty crazy.

Well if you guys must know, here's some deeper thoughts I've managed to get out for the night... lol. Short version: Manly tears:
EchelonMay 10, 2010 12:22 AM
May 10, 2010 4:47 AM

Apr 2008
Very nice words on the show Echelon.

In fact the first thing that I did after finishing the show was to do some research about the French Revolution too, docs, movies (I even watched the 1936 Marie Antoinette movie) and I was astonished as I learned that a LOT of what happened on the show happened also in real life, it made the show even better than it was already. Man it deserves an 11 for that. Not a simple 10. :D
RobdeFRMay 10, 2010 12:40 PM
May 10, 2010 8:37 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah seriously, reading about how accurate it was, especially during the final arc with all the major French Revolution events, it's so cool to see all that stuff really happened.
May 10, 2010 8:47 AM

Apr 2007
I'm gonna have to watch RoV then, once I clear my backlog.
May 10, 2010 9:27 AM

Dec 2009
I finished Zanbot 3 recently, and as my review of it says, it's tough going. They really didn't pull any punches with what happens to the characters, and you actually feel quite sorry for Kappei despite thinking he's a spoiled brat for much of the show.

May 10, 2010 12:40 PM

Apr 2008
I have Zambot burned in DVDs ever since Shin-Getter ended the show, but I'm planning on watching that one only after Daitarn 3 fansubs are completed. Maybe I'm doing the wrong thing, but...
May 10, 2010 1:00 PM

Apr 2007
You'll probably need Daitarn 3 to cheer you up after Zambot.
May 10, 2010 1:28 PM

Apr 2008
Hmm, then I might go and start Zambot now. :D
May 10, 2010 1:47 PM

Apr 2007
One of the worst bits about Zambot, it one of the particularly depressing bits would have been seriously over the top and villainous back in the 70s, but has now actually happened. If you've seen the series, you'll probably know what I mean.
May 11, 2010 3:08 AM

Jan 2008
First of all, I am so happy to see a club dedicated to old school anime. I am a huge fan. It has been a while for me but I recently finished rewatching Maison Ikkoku. A great old school anime, I would say, though not my favorite.

Oniisama e... has always been and will always be one of my all time favorites. I have seen it 3 times and already want to watch it again. I did love Rose of Versailles but not as much as the other one.

Series that I would love to see licensed/fansubbed are Haikara-san ga Tooru, Ace wo Nerae! and Captain Tsubasa. I am sure there are more but these are the ones I recall at the moment.

We need more support for these great series which will give the companies the courage to bring them in for the English world.
May 11, 2010 4:46 AM

Apr 2008
Welcome aboard HatsumiShinogu.
Nice tastes there, you'll feel comfortable around here. On the first pages of this topic we had an interesting conversation on Rose of Versailles and a little of Oniisama E and Ahita No Nerae.

I agree, sadly there are a lot of quality series that are yet to be released to the english speaking countries. And the most sad thing of all in my opinion is it will continue that way, we rarely see an old school show being licensed these days, we saw Dirty pair getting a license recently, but that's a rare case.

Back on topic.
I have watched the Rose of Versailles movie. Reading Echelon words reminded me that it was about time to get back to Versailles and the time was right to see this resume of the series.
The movie was, from what I could understand, a copy/paste of the scenes of TV series. With focus on the main events that influenced the main storyline,

Found this movie in VHS rip with Spanish subs.

Now i want to get that episode 41. I found a Brazillian site that had it, but unfortunately the links are down.
May 11, 2010 7:22 AM

Feb 2008
Man, definitely a plus that you can read/understand Spanish Rob, I envy you a bit. Heh.

I am definitely looking forward to Oniisama now... as well as Utena, which I've often seen compared to RoV. Back then though everyone told me to be sure to watch RoV first, so now I can hit up Utena sometime. Oniisama having a lot of the same staff from RoV though makes it sound incredibly promising, I hear it's a lot more twisted though which seems crazy, since RoV certainly wasn't too lighthearted at times itself.
May 11, 2010 11:49 AM

Apr 2008
Yep, being fluent in spanish helps me a great deal in the anime world. I have seen some stuff that's not english subbed with spanish subs and that's definitely a must. Spanish speaking countries fortunately have huge anime fandoms.

Yep, the natural recommendations after Rov are Oniisama E and Utena. I personally thought that Utena was 2%Versailles and 80% Sailor Moon, if you're familiar with Sailor Moon you'll understand my thinking, so I guess the enjoyment there depends if you enjoy Sailor Moon Shoujo stories.

I have seen some High quality Oniisama E files around, perhaps it's time for me to download those ones and rewatch the whole thing with good quality. I think my visualization of the show suffered for having watched it a few time after having watched Versailles and by the bad quality of the files.
May 14, 2010 3:55 AM

Dec 2009
starseeker said:
One of the worst bits about Zambot, it one of the particularly depressing bits would have been seriously over the top and villainous back in the 70s, but has now actually happened. If you've seen the series, you'll probably know what I mean.

I'd definitely agree there.

On a slightly more upbeat note, the last oldschool thing I watched was Arcadia of My Youth, and that was an incredible movie. The art and animation were some of the best I've seen - it's up there with Do You Remember Love as one of the best-animated films of the 80s.

It was also nice to see the origins of Harlock and Emereldas - was the follow-up 22 episode series any good?
May 14, 2010 12:58 PM

Apr 2008
Never watched the second Harlock series except for what L-E have has released, but they look pretty cool too.

The movie Arcaria of My Youth is indeed awesome, very dramatic, very strong. It goes along with Galaxy Express Movie like a twin brother (not in terms of plot, but of quality of course).
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (21) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Yesterday, 8:46 AM

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2252 by sebubibinman »»
Apr 15, 3:15 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.