Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2010 6:18 AM

Apr 2008
Okay, following my idea at another forum, I've decided to create this topic that can also serve as a brother topic to the Currently watching "old school" anime.

Here we can post our thoughts on whatever old school anime we finished watching lately, praise the work, bash the works comment and discuss ones thoughts about it.

So whenever one of you guys finishes a title just pop up and write two words here. If you want to write a full review I wont be bothered by it either. :D

So, to start here's my turn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[review free of spoilers below]

I finished Versailles No Bara/Rose Of Versailles. I am perplexed by this late experience of mine and I’m angry at myself, angry because I could have watched this one sooner, after all, I have it on my “plan to watch list” since the time Live-Evil were still subbing it, that makes it 4 or 5 years, a lot of time. Why haven’t I watched this title sooner? Oh well, better late than never.

At the beginning I was feeling a little hesitant to start watching Versailles No Bara/Rose Of Versailles because I kept hearing people comparing it to Revolutionary Girl Utena. I didn’t dislike Utena, but I think it is a totally overrated anime with some serious lack of story development added with a very weak lead character. Thankfully, the only similarities with both titles are the styles and visuals that Utena went to get inspiration from, the rest and most important stuff like the characters personalities and the plot, are beyond comparison, so you should rest assured there if you got a similar point of view as mine regarding Utena.

The first thing that naturally you notice when You start watching Rose Of Versailles, is the marvellous character design done by Shingo Araki, the man did a lot of character designs on the seventies for some famous titles but here he was in his best shape and developed his trademark style, which he later also used on Saint Seiya.
Not only the character designs but the style and the peculiar 70s filled directing approach are very appealing and are added with a consistent and clever animation for ’79, and dare I say that some scenes are so well animated with the character movements that they even defy the commodity of modern animation from these days. Some examples being shown on the dances of the characters at some parties and in some crowd scenes where most of the individuals (if not all) of the crowd make independent moves of their own.
Unfortunately Nagahama Tadao died early and with him died some of the “acid” aesthetics of the series, because the acclaimed 70’s director Osamu Dezaki which came as substitute didn’t pick those “acid” scenes but he also fulfilled his duty with excellence. I especially love how the shots of the camera are taken from various angles throughout the series.

The story couldn’t have been better, it picked up historical facts prior the French Revolution and went along history to the beginning of the revolution covering a span of 20 years. It started using the shoujo formula of “newcomer female arrives and gets picked by older already established female at the place”, but it goes beyond its shoujo standards, not only because of the historical facts that the story cleverly went to use but also by the excellent characters that it had and their no lesser excellent character developments.
The author had a good use on the critic of the society of the 17th century, especially the aristocracy problem. Having watched Legend of Galactic Heroes prior to ROV, and ROV being older than LOGH, I get amazed at how the aristocratic situations and characters could have been the same on both anime, of course discarding the sci-fi universe of LOGH on this. Perhaps dare I say, that LOGH, author or director went to get direct inspiration from the clever aristocratic issues of ROV to display on LOGH..
The music is perfect for the anime, it was competent and good. I’m hearing the OST as I write and it does have very powerful songs. I especially loved the 70s tunes that it had which only the 70s could create. Of course the classical ones were also very good, some helped greatly on setting the mood of some special scenes and when that happens it is because the OST is good.

I am still impressed at the quality of this anime, and the only thought around in my head these days is to rewatch it again.
“Classic” is a word only fitted to some works, Rose Of Versailles is perfectly fit for it and I even go ahead and say it isn’t only “classic” but “cult” as well. No wonder it is still big back at Nippon. These type of stories are immortal.

I ended giving it a 10. I don’t give away 10s so easily as you can see by my list, and I wasn’t hoping to find another series so late at these times that I could give a 10. But RoV pushed me to a corner.

10/10
RobdeFRNov 6, 2010 5:47 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (21) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 25, 2010 10:59 AM

Nov 2007
One person you didn't mention was Akio Sugino who's name almost never comes up for some reason containing to anything he's been apart of. I'm one of three people who lists him as a favorite on here lol. He incorporated a bit of his style into the character designs as well if you look at his other works. He usually works side by side with Osamu Dezaki which I think is the greatest combination I've ever laid eyes on. They compliment each other so well and it's a thing of beauty. They worked together even as recently as last years for Genji Monogatari Sennenki. But there is more influence by Shingo Araki (really like how he draws hair) here than the others so I agree. Just thought I'd give the guy some love, heh.

The most confusing thing to me is the director switch. As we know, Nagahama Tadao passed away midway through. But I have a strong belief that the info on ANN and other places (since it's just the same line over and over) is a bit inaccurate. I say this because I know Dezaki's style inside and out almost. Clearly there is a noticeable difference from episode 19 on. But I had never known Nagahama Tadao to have that style from the other shows I've seen him direct such as Ore wa Teppei, Combattler V, Voltes V and the bit I've seen of Tosho Daimos (couldn't tolerate that terrible dub). So I've started to assume that they worked together since Tadao wasn't in the best health having hepatitis. In which then Dezaki fully took over due to the unfortunate circumstances. Dezaki is known for his dramatic eerie feel and harmony shots that were illustrated throughout even when it's noted that he wasn't involved. There was a difference in the first 18 because he wasn't flying solo. That's my theory on it.

Clearly it is one of my all time favorites with the amount of detail I'm going in to with the directors and character designers alone. It would have been difficult not giving it a 10. I don't abuse the masterpiece rating either and basically only my top 15 that I put on on a pedestal have received the perfect 10. But if I were grading based on the definition "masterpiece" only Hajime no Ippo, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Monster, Maison Ikkoku, Touch and Rose of Versailles would make the cut. I've seen the series 4 times and I'm able to take something new out of it each time.. I see plenty more watches in the future because it's just that damn good.

I feel obligated to suggest Oniisame e now that you've been bitten by the bug. It's by the same creator and is even MORE insane if you're into the type of thing. Picture the same type of dramatic intensity for the war in RoV and replace it with a rich all girls sorority... I'd rank RoV a notch above, but it's definitely in the discussion.

I also don't want to spoil anything about the RoV ending for those who haven't seen it. But I loved every second of it especially the last line about Fersen. *laughs* It just all felt a perfect ending to a story as such. It also enhances the enjoyability if you know your history since obviously a lot of these characters are based on real people. I guess I'll finish off by adding in some great pictures.

Dramatic snap shots.

Great art

Best car ad EVER!
Feb 25, 2010 2:18 PM

Apr 2008
HisokaHajime said:
One person you didn't mention was Akio Sugino who's name almost never comes up for some reason containing to anything he's been apart of. I'm one of three people who lists him as a favorite on here lol. He incorporated a bit of his style into the character designs as well if you look at his other works. He usually works side by side with Osamu Dezaki which I think is the greatest combination I've ever laid eyes on. They compliment each other so well and it's a thing of beauty. They worked together even as recently as last years for Genji Monogatari Sennenki. But there is more influence by Shingo Araki (really like how he draws hair) here than the others so I agree. Just thought I'd give the guy some love, heh.

Indeed, I always linked Sugino Akios character design to Osamu Dezaki, Whenever I think about them it pops in my head easily recognizable titles as; Ace Wo Nerae, Golgo 13, Cobra, They Were Eleven, Onisama E mostly. It's like his art is a trademar for Dezaki.

HisokaHajime said:
The most confusing thing to me is the director switch. As we know, Nagahama Tadao passed away midway through. But I have a strong belief that the info on ANN and other places (since it's just the same line over and over) is a bit inaccurate. I say this because I know Dezaki's style inside and out almost. Clearly there is a noticeable difference from episode 19 on. But I had never known Nagahama Tadao to have that style from the other shows I've seen him direct such as Ore wa Teppei, Combattler V, Voltes V and the bit I've seen of Tosho Daimos (couldn't tolerate that terrible dub). So I've started to assume that they worked together since Tadao wasn't in the best health having hepatitis. In which then Dezaki fully took over due to the unfortunate circumstances. Dezaki is known for his dramatic eerie feel and harmony shots that were illustrated throughout even when it's noted that he wasn't involved. There was a difference in the first 18 because he wasn't flying solo. That's my theory on it.

From Tadao's early works we can see that the style is totally different, but so were the genres, we could also assume that the man had reinvented himself, after all some directors of the seventies only reached their form and style in the end of the decade. But your thoughts makes perfectly sense to me too.

HisokaHajime said:

I feel obligated to suggest Oniisame e now that you've been bitten by the bug. It's by the same creator and is even MORE insane if you're into the type of thing. Picture the same type of dramatic intensity for the war in RoV and replace it with a rich all girls sorority... I'd rank RoV a notch above, but it's definitely in the discussion.

In fact I was going to watch Onisama E afterwards, but I ended picking Ace wo Nerae 2 that was on my stalled list. Which I already concluded, I'll start Onisama E one of these days now. I have a low quality (by todays standards) VHS rips in my HDD, so that has keep me from watching it, but I'll definitely watch it next.

HisokaHajime said:

It just all felt a perfect ending to a story as such. It also enhances the enjoyability if you know your history since obviously a lot of these characters are based on real people.

I had studied the enlightenment when I was at school, and came across some facts of the French Revolution throughout the years, but after I finished the series I felt forced to pick up some documentaries and movies about the french Revolution and Marie Antoinette (to speak the truth I highly enjoyed Sofia Coppola previous movies but I still hadn't watched her Marie Antoinette), after finishing the work to see what was fact or fiction and I got even more amazed at how cleverly the facts were mixed with fiction and how they were accurate.

I have read that Oscar was a fictional character, but I also have read that she was based on a person that existed on that century. Hmm. it made me confused.

Great pictures by the way. I have thought about putting some pictures too with the previous post, at least some of the first part of the anime depicting those special scenes.
RobdeFRFeb 25, 2010 2:34 PM
Feb 25, 2010 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
RobdeFR said:
HisokaHajime said:
In fact I was going to watch Onisama E afterwards, but I ended picking Ace wo Nerae 2 that was on my stalled list. Which I already concluded, I'll start Onisama E one of these days now. I have a low quality (by todays standards) VHS rips in my HDD, so that has keep me from watching it, but I'll definitely watch it next.
Oniisama E was fantastic; I just finished it a few weeks ago. Dezaki’s directing & the color pallet were gorgeous in themselves; add on top of that some thorough, intricate, and subtle narrative development and you’ve got 10/10-worthy material. I plan on watching Rose of Versailles at some point very soon.
Feb 25, 2010 3:48 PM

Apr 2008
Good. You and everyone else at the club should check out RoV. :D

So the main reason why I finally ended picking RoV, was mostly because I was getting really amazed with Ashita No Joe storytelling, then from there I ended (re)visiting other Dezaki titles. My first choice was to start Onisama E, but I ended picking RoV instead, because I like to do these things chronologically, and it seems that it was for the better.

So the natural course before starting watching Onisama E, was to repick Ace Wo Nerae! from my "stalled list", so I did it. I finally finished the Ace Wo Nerae! storyline, I first went with the '79 movie to remind me of the events of the series and restarted Ace wo Nerae 2 which I had left on hold on the past, and went all the way until the end of Final Stage.
While watching the movie I noticed that some elements were different than the first series, so I ended discovering, (if I didn't already before, I'm pretty forgetful with these things) that it was indeed a summary movie, but from the '78 anime, not the '74 one, which is an alternative retelling of the events of the '74 series. I've never seen thes '78 one available before, so being from '78, they must be very good, the '74 was very good and this one with some improvements definitely is.

As for the OVAs, I felt that the drama was a little bit dragged on, the first series were also, but I guess I digested it better at the time, so I ended giving these ones a 7 (bordering a 8, but still a 7) here on MAL.
RobdeFRMar 2, 2010 1:35 AM
Feb 25, 2010 3:57 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, I've read similar stuff about Oscar. I'm leaning towards a fictional character from everything I've gathered. But it's a nice thought. *shrugs* The fact and fiction really blended in so well and like you said, I too was impressed with how much of it was accurate.

RobdeFR said:
after all some directors of the seventies only reached their form and style in the end of the decade. But your thoughts makes perfectly sense to me too.

Well put. I may never know the truth here since I haven't been able to find an interview that directly asked Dezaki this question. Like Dezaki's first claim to fame was directing Ashita no Joe which is amazing in it's own right. But that's a whole different discussion heh. Clearly he wasn't yet at the top of his game in 1970. I haven't seen Ace wo Nerae! so maybe you can fill me in on the feel of his directing in that. But in 1977 Dezaki directed Nobody's Boy Remi and his craft had already changed so much since Joe. It reflected his work in RoV and was already two years prior to that. So all of this leads me to believe that he was involved in the first 18 episodes. The only other explanation is that Tadao's work suddenly became a whole lot similar to his. We'll never know anything beyond that because he passed away. But I've been thinking about all this for many years now.

As for Oniisama e, you might still be able to track down the better quality versions on DVD if Ani-on-DVD are still open for business. The site I got them from appears to be long gone. The first few times I watched the show it was the files you're talking about. They weren't the best and some had this annoying buzzing sound. I would upload my newer set, but it wasn't like ripping a DVD. There were lots of complications.

Merridian said:
Oniisama E was fantastic; I just finished it a few weeks ago. Dezaki’s directing & the color pallet were gorgeous in themselves; add on top of that some thorough, intricate, and subtle narrative development and you’ve got 10/10-worthy material. I plan on watching Rose of Versailles at some point very soon.

Awesome to hear. I watched it the first time in 2004 and have been such a huge fan of his ever since. I really didn't think anywhere near as much about directors till I stumbled across his work and was in awe or how creative he was. I have no doubt that you guys will love the ones you haven't seen yet. Also have to give the creator tons of props for the ability to write one amazing story and then another.

RobdeFR said:
I am perplexed by this late experience of mine and I’m angry at myself, angry because I could have watched this one sooner, after all, I have it on my “plan to watch list” since the time Live-Evil were still subbing it, that makes it 4 or 5 years, a lot of time. Why haven’t I watched this title sooner? Oh well, better late than never.

I also want to comment on this. You should happy that you still have shows of this quality still to watch. It's really nice having stuff to look forward to. I've seen a lot of great stuff, yet I always go out of my way not to watch the best of the best all together. I like to have at least a few standout series each year and it's amazing feeling when I still have a gem to watch. I just never wanted to get to the point where I couldn't watch something because it wasn't top notch. I suppose I keep myself grounded by watching all types despite how average-bad they might be. It makes the best ones feel all the more great and it all fills a different void for me.
HisokaHajimeFeb 25, 2010 4:01 PM
Feb 25, 2010 4:55 PM

Apr 2008
HisokaHajime said:
I haven't seen Ace wo Nerae! so maybe you can fill me in on the feel of his directing in that.

From what I can recall, his directing was ok, but still again different from qhat he did previously with Joe, I'm very early with Joe, but I kind of smell that, both shows nature are different, and his style also was different. I think that it was with Ace Wo Nerae! that he started developing his trademark style, with those still images and all.
I'm really interested in Remi, I've seen people talking about it throughout the year, but I've never got the opportunity to get ahold of the series. It must be pretty good.

HisokaHajime said:
I also want to comment on this. You should happy that you still have shows of this quality still to watch.
I'm happy, very happy to have watched it now, but If I can I chose to watch an anime as the fansubber release the files to the outside world, I choose it that way. Iit's a experience that I had with C-A when they released Touch and I try to follow some oldies expecting to have again a magnificent travel like that one was. I'm sure Versailles would have been another awesome experience, well, it couldn't had gained a higher rank that it already got anyway, so there's no really much thinking on it. And also, Live-Evil are no C-A, C-A released Touch episodes weekly, sometimes two episodes per week, I don't remember well how L-E released it, but it sure weren't released weekly. We around here know how things at the L-E headquarters works. :D

HisokaHajime said:
I suppose I keep myself grounded by watching all types despite how average-bad they might be. It makes the best ones feel all the more great and it all fills a different void for me.

I totally support you with this thinking. I do the same also. by watching a wide variety of stuff, you tend to get a wide range of comparative terms and you eventually brush your criticism more.

And only by doing that we can reach great conclusions like this one:
HisokaHajime said:

But if I were grading based on the definition "masterpiece" only Hajime no Ippo, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Monster, Maison Ikkoku, Touch and Rose of Versailles would make the cut.
;)

You almost got my top five stated there.
Speaking of which, I have to check on Hajime No Hippo. I checked the manga an awful lot of years ago and never went back to it due to some forgotten reason that had nothing to do with the story itself.

I still have asured quality anime for watch on my "plan to watch" list, some I have already downloaded, but I'll eventually consume them when I have time. As you stated above, I also enjoy watch some other casual stuff in between.
RobdeFRFeb 25, 2010 5:03 PM
Feb 25, 2010 6:21 PM

Feb 2008
First off, can I read this thread? A little afraid of spoilers. =P

Secondly, I love the original Cobra to death ... but taking a glimpse over this thread, I wonder if that series is like a tease compared to Dezaki's more dramatic shows, Joe and RoV possibly being good examples. Both I definitely want to check out soon, I've got RoV and hopefully the subs for Joe are going good.

For a new show to talk about, that Hisoka can maybe chime in a bit too since he finished it recently ... Round Vernian Vifam! This series might be one of the first original shows created by the late Takeyuki Kanda, whom later went unto directing Metal Armor Dragonar, Armor Hunter Mellowlink, and 08th MS Team for Sunrise. Vifam was an interesting collaboration with Tomino, I've seen sources say he did the planning and some other behind the scenes stuff, and apparently some of the ideas in Vifam were things Tomino wanted in the original Gundam (so I hear).

Overall the show was really fun, had some ups and downs but it was pretty relaxing and definitely classic Sunrise. It had some excellent music (the same composer went to do Dragonar next, which has an even better and amazing OST I'd say). It was a bit more adventurous than typical mecha I'd say, and at times almost a bit too comical. I remember things slowed down a bit between the 20's-30 and not a lot happened, but once things kicked back into gear it was awesome.

Lots of Lord of the Flies influences in there too I'd say, the middle of the series reminded me a good bit of Infinite Ryivus at times, a young group of kids and teenagers doing their best to survive alone.

For awhile the show took the mecha aspects pretty seriously, if I remember right it took the main cast like 8 or so episodes to finally start piloting them. Lots of great attention to detail. simulations, etc, for those into that kind of thing. Afterwards though, they got a little TOO good I'd say ... haha.

Also in some ways it felt like Layzner at times, though Layzner is quite a bit darker and more mature.

Not a whole lot to say I guess, but now that it's fully subbed it definitely shouldn't go unnoticed for 80's mecha/sci-fi fans. I hope someone picks up the sequels someday.

I guess I also finished Dragon Ball recently, hit or miss for folks I guess, but I'll always have a soft spot for it. Growing up with DBZ, it was an incredible experience finally seeing all of the original DB and how far the characters had come. The music, the epic voice acting cast with half the cast becoming likeable thanks to the original voices, the unforgettable insert songs, the fights and tournaments, it felt like I had just gone through one of the biggest and greatest JRPG's I'll ever play ... so to say. Hehe.
EchelonFeb 25, 2010 6:28 PM
Feb 25, 2010 6:48 PM

Apr 2008
Echelon said:
First off, can I read this thread? A little afraid of spoilers. =P

The topic seems free of spoiler so far, but I don't know if it'll remain that way, so I ask everyone to put spoiler where they belong between the spoiler tags.
Echelon said:

Secondly, I love the original Cobra to death ... but taking a glimpse over this thread, I wonder if that series is like a tease compared to Dezaki's more dramatic shows, Joe and RoV possibly being good examples.
I think Cobra was a very different approach of Dezaki, so you already figured it out there.
Echelon said:

Lots of Lord of the Flies influences in there too I'd say
From what I hear of the preview it makes sense too. I have to start it one of these days too.
Echelon said:

I guess I also finished Dragon Ball recently, hit or miss for folks I guess, but I'll always have a soft spot for it. Growing up with DBZ, it was an incredible experience finally seeing all of the original DB and how far the characters had come. The music, the epic voice acting cast with half the cast becoming likeable thanks to the original voices, the unforgettable insert songs, the fights and tournaments, it felt like I had just gone through one of the biggest and greatest JRPG's I'll ever play ... so to say. Hehe.
I thought you you'd like it and I guessed it right. Its an odd thing to have watched Z and not the original story before hand. The original Dragonball is pretty good and by no means overhyped as the modern community points it out. I liked the very innocent and comedic feel of the series. Too bad Dr. Slump isn't subbed, that one is in the same vein as early Dragonball. but we can find some movies translated online still.
Feb 25, 2010 7:02 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, you can blame America/Funimation/Toonami for that one. We simply didn't get Dragon Ball properly until years later back in the 90's, they only really aired DBZ for the longest time. Granted I'm still a little behind in catching up since DB's been available for awhile now, but oh well... hehe. =P
Feb 25, 2010 7:17 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, let's keep it spoiler free or use tags for when you are.

RobdeFR said:
You almost got my top five stated there.

Ha, Saint Seiya got left out and I love me some Saint Seiya. I just wish it were called Saint Shiryu because he's clearly the most badass. Speaking of badass,

Echelon said:
I wonder if that series is like a tease compared to Dezaki's more dramatic shows

Ashita no Joe had this grinding, gritty feel that was fantastic and sometimes disturbing. A lot of them have a dark/overly dramatic (in an awesome way) approach like RoV, Oniisama e, Black Jack OVA and Nobody's Boy Remi. Like if anyone else directed Remi it just wouldn't have been the same. I mean, it's the World Masterpiece Theater style and just feel down right creepy at times which made it better than it would have been otherwise.

@ RobdeFR
It's a shame ImagineAsian closed shop so quickly. I supported all three of their releases and glad I bought them before they vanished. It was Remi, Orguss and the first half of Cat's Eye. Which now I might be in the middle of forever lol.
Feb 25, 2010 9:33 PM

Feb 2008
Guess I should remember he did early Golgo as well. Epic.
Feb 26, 2010 12:43 AM

Apr 2008
HisokaHajime said:
Saint Seiya. Speaking of badass,
Well, Saint Seiya is on my list because it was the anime that had the most impact on me, it accompanied me ever since '90. It might get a little odd having it mixed in the middle of those other masterpieces, because it isn't a masterpiece, but it has a special valour to me.

HisokaHajime said:
and the first half of Cat's Eye. Which now I might be in the middle of forever lol
That one looks awesome, it's a pity that it never got completely english subbed.
RobdeFRFeb 26, 2010 6:11 AM
Feb 27, 2010 5:10 AM

Dec 2007
I am just about to finish Yu Yu Hakusho (ohmy90s!) and it was a great ride so far. I'll be pissed if they don't conclude it in the next two episodes, but I still liked it very much.

Cosplaying Botan this year for sure! xD

Edit: I'm satisfied. A lot. I wish these were my Saturday morning cartoons...
ladyxzeusFeb 27, 2010 6:29 AM
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 27, 2010 9:13 AM

Feb 2008
Botan! <3

Haha, I actually started up Yu Yu recently myself. Not very far right now, but I'm definitely liking what I've seen.
Feb 27, 2010 9:31 AM

Mar 2009
ladyxzeus said:

Cosplaying Botan this year for sure! xD

I hope Old School Anime members get exclusive pics :)

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Feb 27, 2010 9:50 AM

Dec 2007
Now, maybe you guys ca help me out on this.... :p Does Botan have pink or brown eyes? They seem to change colours, from lighter to darker, every couple of episodes and - meh - I don't want to spend yet another 50€ on perscription coloured lenses. ;___; (and I promise I'll choose the best of the best of the pictures I eventually get to post here xD)
Feb 27, 2010 12:38 PM

Apr 2008
That's nice, then we could probably open a old school cosplaying topic. :D
can't help you with that one, I don't remember much of the series, I think I never went past the 7th episode.
Feb 27, 2010 12:59 PM

Mar 2009
ladyxzeus said:
Now, maybe you guys ca help me out on this.... :p Does Botan have pink or brown eyes? They seem to change colours, from lighter to darker, every couple of episodes and - meh - I don't want to spend yet another 50€ on perscription coloured lenses. ;___; (and I promise I'll choose the best of the best of the pictures I eventually get to post here xD)

Wow you must be a pretty hardcore cosplayer to even do your lenses - I suppose if its got to be done it should be done right :)

Feb 27, 2010 1:20 PM

Dec 2007
RobdeFR said:
That's nice, then we could probably open a old school cosplaying topic. :D

Unexpectedly, there is a lot of cosplay from older anime and it's usually really well done too =) And then with a thread I could talk about my dream cosplay skit, hich involves 100+ people in stage and is for LotGH xD

As for the lenses, it would be weird if I got everything except the eye colour right. I'm also having troubles concerning her obi and her sandals, but the eyes are what put me off more. I just can't understand their colour ;___; Damn you blue haired shinigami. Damn you.
Mar 1, 2010 2:51 PM

Apr 2008
Following my Osamu Dezaki viewings I now finished watching Onisama E….
This will have some spoilers so…
RobdeFRMar 2, 2010 1:36 AM
Mar 1, 2010 3:56 PM

Apr 2008
Ah, changed the topic name. This way people will identify more with it I think. If you have a better name drop a line here.
Mar 1, 2010 4:02 PM

Nov 2007
Sounds about right. *laughs* Some people are bound to enjoy all the insanity more than others. It's certainly not for everyone despite being a fan of Rose Of Versailles or not. Looks like you at least had some fun with it judging by the speed in which you finished it. To me it has always felt like the prototype for Hana Yori Dango.
Mar 1, 2010 6:58 PM

Apr 2008
Oh, nice that you mentioned it. I also had a Hana Yori Dango vibe in some scenes.the soundtrack also helped it.
RobdeFRMar 2, 2010 1:12 AM
Mar 1, 2010 7:13 PM

Nov 2007
As do I. Tsukushi was a great strong-willed female lead.
Mar 2, 2010 1:23 AM

Apr 2008
Finished watching the ultra classic Hakujaden

The animation turned out to be very pleasant, it had the usual Disney vibe as it is common for the animated movies of that era, but it is a good effort for early anime. the story was based of an ancient folk tale and it was a story of impossible love and the ancient drama that revolves around it.
The movie lasted a little more than one hour so the viewer doesn't get tired.

I gave it a 7.
RobdeFRMar 2, 2010 1:40 AM
Mar 3, 2010 1:51 PM

Apr 2008
Watched earlier Hakuchou no Mizuumi / Swan Lake.

This movie had a soft fairy tale that flew along the famous Tchaikovsky theme of the same name. I don't know about the original story of the theme, but this one was about a princess of a kingdom that was defeated by a evil wizard, that was turned into a swan for no one to be able to fall in love with her. The thing is that Siegfried, a prince of a kingdom nearby gets an interest on the pretty bird on the lake, the rest, as they say, is history.

I found interesting the fact that they used the wizard as a friendly fellow instead of a dark ebil wizard. The princess was cute as was all the art on the film, the animation was disney like but not as expensive, it did it's trick well.
I regret not having bought the DVD when I saw it at a cheap price on some megastore around. My niece would be delighted.

Oh yeah, we even get "Swan Lake" in a japanese version as bonus.

Very good. 8/10
RobdeFRMar 3, 2010 1:57 PM
Mar 4, 2010 9:56 PM

Nov 2007
Just watched One Pound Gospel which is about a struggling to make weight boxer and a nun of all combinations. That really sums up a large chunk of the 50 minutes without giving every detail away. I like it a whole bunch and it was really interesting watching a Takahashi/Dezaki co-op. Really makes me wish there were more boxing anime out there since there is so little to choose from.

8/10
Mar 4, 2010 10:41 PM

Feb 2008
Rumiko Takahashi and Dezaki? That sounds like one heck of a combo there. Might have to hit that one up before I tackle Joe/Hajime.
Mar 5, 2010 6:09 AM

Apr 2008
Gospel was a real funny Rumiko story.

This reminds me that the 4th volume of the manga was released a few time ago and I never got to read it, I wonder if it's uploaded on the web already...

-----------------------------

I finally went back to my stalled list to re-pick Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water.
JTurner's review on the Nadia page, basically puts in words my thoughts about the series.

RobdeFRMar 5, 2010 8:13 AM
Mar 7, 2010 7:07 PM

Apr 2008
Watched earlier Natsu e no Tobira.

Very good shoujo anime right out of the great shoujo period, the seventies one. Very nice art, characters with a good character growth in a one hour long movie.
RobdeFRNov 14, 2019 1:25 PM
Mar 7, 2010 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
Natsu e no Tobira was very enjoyable.
Mar 8, 2010 6:45 AM

Apr 2008
Sure was. It's a rare thing to see a 70s shoujo anime with the themes that explored in the movie. Most of those types of stories never went beyond the manga version.
It gave me a "Rose of Versailles" vibe, or better, "Rose of Versailles was the one that gave the 70s shoujo vibe, because, Versailles went way beyond the genre.

Finished earlier Rintaro's Dagger of Kamui.
A excellent animation production from 1985. The money used here was obvious since the beginning of the film, great animation with little details taken into consideration, unfortunately, Animeigo's version of the movie isn't brushed up enough so some of those beautiful details are left behind, maybe we will see a restored version someday.
The story is about Shinobis(Ninjas) and slowly gains historical proportions. I don't think I recall having known that Hokkaido tried it's independence in the 19th century.

The story of the film is consistent, the art is engaging, the animation excellent. But I think that 130minutes were a little too long, so I ended giving a 7 here on MAL. I'll wait for a better version of the movie and then take into consideration a new evaluation of it.
Mar 8, 2010 8:34 AM

Mar 2009
RobdeFR said:

Finished earlier Rintaro's Dagger of Kamui.
A excellent animation production from 1985. The money used here was obvious since the beginning of the film, great animation with little details taken into consideration, unfortunately, Animeigo's version of the movie isn't brushed up enough so some of those beautiful details are left behind, maybe we will see a restored version someday.
The story is about Shinobis(Ninjas) and slowly gains historical proportions. I don't think I recall having known that Hokkaido tried it's independence in the 19th century.

The story of the film is consistent, the art is engaging, the animation excellent. But I think that 130minutes were a little too long, so I ended giving a 7 here on MAL. I'll wait for a better version of the movie and then take into consideration a new evaluation of it.

Haha that just goes to show great minds don't always think alike :P

Anyway just finished Space Family Carlvinson. A childrens story about aliens finding a baby girl and bringing her up as one off their own. No real plot as it really is just a few scenes of slapstick put together. But great fun for a mindless 45 minutes. 7/10 for fun factor

Mar 8, 2010 9:25 AM

Apr 2008
Oh, You gave Kamui a 4 rating. I guess you really disliked the film. :P
Mar 8, 2010 4:12 PM

Apr 2008
Watched Little Women (1980)

The animation was pretty weak, the US dub was worse than the animation, they fitted a year worth of material into 68 minutes movie, but I'm a sucker to this kind of stories so I ended loving it anyway.

8/10

I just wish someone would sub World Masterpiece Theater's Little Women both series already...
Mar 10, 2010 6:06 AM

Apr 2008
Watched recently;

The Wizard of Oz movie. It had a weak animation and a awful US english dub. The whole thing looked most an american production just like Little Women from above also looked, than a Japanese production, but it was a nice travel to my childhood.
6/10

Yotoden: Chronicle of the Warlord Period - Very nice historical story here, about the fall of Oda Nobunaga with the all king use of Ninja ans special powers. Good animation and decent and entertaining story.
7/10

Angel Cop - It started as a good and thrilling macho police terrorism story, with the bare chested police guy and everything, but then it evolved into a thrilling psychic powers users based plot, it stayed very good in the middle of the OVA, but then the Robocop influences came over and the OVA didn't managed to regain the power of the 2nd and 3rd episode. Still, it had a very good animation and decent amounts of the good realistic gore that anime had back in late 80s/early nineties.
Oh yeah, now looking at the director who was behinf this, Ichiro Itano, makes perfectly sense. Megazone, Violence Jack and later, Gantz and his most recent Blassreiter, if one thinks about it, they have a certain line of similar style.
[EDIT] Saw Angel Cop on english dub and it was horrible. especially the little psychic girl voice, so poorly done, it even hurt. Speaking of which, the files I downloaded were pretty strange, they only had a audio track on them and they came with subs.
7/10
RobdeFRMar 10, 2010 3:54 PM
Mar 10, 2010 2:58 PM

Jul 2008
It's been a while, but the last one I watched was probably BAOH, a sci-fi action OVA based on the manga of the same name by Hirohiko Araki. (the author of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, among other gems)

It wasn't as good as the phenomenal comic, and obviously couldn't cover as much material, but it was still a fast-paced, adventurous, wonderfully violent gem from the late 80s.

In fact, it might be the best OVA I've seen from that period. A low 8/10.
Mar 10, 2010 3:48 PM

Apr 2008
That's good to hear. In fact I have Baoh in my HDD ready to watch. May as well watch it tomorrow or later in the week. Well reminded.
Mar 22, 2010 2:36 PM

Apr 2008
Oh yeah.
Watched Baoh somewhere last week.
It was a good gorey fast watch from the golden era for the genre, late eghties early nineties. Again, not a very deep story nor really engaging but an entertaining watch if you're into the style.

6/10
Mar 23, 2010 9:12 PM

Jul 2008
RobdeFR said:
Again, not a very deep story nor really engaging but an entertaining watch if you're into the style.

6/10

When it comes to the story, it doesn't do the original manga justice. But then again, what else can you do with a 40 minute OVA?
Mar 24, 2010 12:27 AM

Apr 2008
YoungVagabond said:

When it comes to the story, it doesn't do the original manga justice. But then again, what else can you do with a 40 minute OVA?
Yep. I got that feeling about it too.
Mar 27, 2010 6:40 AM

Oct 2008
Just completed Dirty Pair (no no, I mean Lovely Angels...just don't kill me, nufh). It was quite hilarious pack and now I'm curious to read and find out those English translated light novels (wow, our local bookstore is selling those---in their webstor....well nevertheless).

Little break (what I got next..hmm....Sol Bianca) and then I'll continue with those OVA's and movies.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mar 27, 2010 11:40 AM

Nov 2007
^ Nice. Right Stuf just licensed Original Dirty Pair the other day which is long overdue. It will be nice to have it in really good quality. My favorite part of DP is the 10 episode OVA.

I just finished Transformers Heamasters which is pretty much season 4 of the original G1 series. Just about what you'd expect and way better than the crappy Masterforce show. 7/10
Mar 27, 2010 6:09 PM

Apr 2008
I've read about that Dirty Pair licensing. Pretty unusual of them to license such an old show nowadays. But still kudos to them. :)
Mar 30, 2010 6:17 AM

Apr 2008
Watched the other day Prefectural Earth Defense Force

Very good eighties comedy we got here. A little influenced by Urusei Yatsura type of comedy, hence quality comedy. Weird and absurd characters, non-sense situations, this has it all.
The bad thing about this is that it was only an OVA of 50 minutes, unfortunately.

Highly recommended for those that enjoy that nonsensical Urusei Yatsura like comedy.

8/10
Apr 1, 2010 4:13 AM

Apr 2008
Just watched the short OVA Tenshi Nanka ja Nai

It was a very pleasant shoujo story presentation well condensed in a 30 minute OVA. It didn't seemed rushed nor lacking, it introduced the characters well and in the end, it had it's conclusion but also left the story open for more. It's not everyday that we see an OVA that tries to adapt the manga and succeeds, this was the case.

The story is shoujo manga from the nineties without unpleasant characters and unpleasant situations, just the innocent highschool romance. I enjoyed this quite a lot.

7/10
Apr 3, 2010 8:31 AM

Jul 2008
After seeing it in the picture game topic we have in the club, I decided to watch Wanna-Be's.

It's a story about competing female wrestling tag teams...with an added dose of science fiction. For the life of me, I can't understand why its score is so low on this site. Certainly, it's an often ridiculous, silly story with no depth, but then again, that's true of many series with 8+ scores on here.

At the same time, I absolutely loved the non-stop action and fighting in this OVA. With barely a pause for dialogue, it's one brutal and at times imaginative encounter after another.

I gave it a 5/10 (average), but since my anime ratings have a mean of 2 points lower than those of other users, it would be a 7/10 by most people's rubrics.
Apr 3, 2010 1:29 PM

Apr 2008
I got interested on it, but I don't know where to search for it.

Watched Ryokunohara Meikyuu when i woke up this morning, not the best idea.

I gave it a 5/10.

[EDIT]
Going though this topic ten years on I noticed how narrowminded I was back then and I apologize if someone got offended. I can't say that Shounen ai has grown a lot on my viewing tastes but I definitely don't oppose it.
RobdeFRNov 15, 2019 9:33 AM
Apr 3, 2010 2:05 PM

Jul 2008
RobdeFR said:
I got interested on it, but I don't know where to search for it.

Here you go.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (21) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Yesterday, 8:46 AM

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2252 by sebubibinman »»
Apr 15, 3:15 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.