Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone think that the creation of Missingno. was done intentionally

New
Feb 24, 2010 4:36 AM

May 2008
Overdone discussion. Whatever Gamefreak says, some of the things are awfully coincidental. I personally think that Missingno. was their attempt to make the creepiest pokemon possible at that time and outdo their work on Mewtwo and ghosts and such.

For instance, of all places that Missingno. could surface, it surfaces on the edge of Cinnabar Island, where the origins of experimental pokemon Missingno. exist. With all those creepy journals about essentially a pokemon experiment gone wrong right beside the laboratory.

And when it doesn't take the form of a creepy ghost, it takes the form of the very fossils you get revitalized there in the Lab. Every possible creepy form. I mean really, empty pokemon skulls animated and fighting you is creepy. And it's only an added effect that right near is where you essential get those pokemon in living form. And ghostform, ghostform too!

Missingno. is creepy and mysterious enough being a glitch pokemon in such a location with such a form as if a bunch of time and space bending spiritual matter. But it's other forms make it also look like some kind of weird spirit. Taking on the bodies of dead pokemon and reanimating them, or just plain looking like a ghost.

Further does it add to it's mysterious and epic quality, by also giving you both beneficial and harmful glitches. It can give you as many of any item you want. But it can also make you lose your entire game file. It also can mess with your hall of fame as if to make some kind of statement.

This goes for the other glitch pokemon. To me Missingno. is like a type of "species" as it is the common name for other similar and almost the same pokemon of the same origin.

Such as 'M. This type of missingno. Kangaskhan isn't so interesting. But it's relation to Clefairy is. Clefairy as said to me a tribe of mysterious pokemon that come from the moon.

So we've got this creepy blob of unknown matter with incredible powers. And also ghostly and alien. It's practically Jenova.

And even name is creepy and mysterious. Missing no.? Missing what? Even though it seems to signal being "pokemon number 0" it's still got the name "missing" in it's name. Even with number added on, the sound of a "missing number" pokemon seems a bit eerie.

And when not having an actual "missingno." type name, gives off a very "that which must not be named" vibe.

And the whole thing takes the idea of glitch into the area of fascination and personable. Digimon, whether through the influence of pokemon or not, takes a similar idea to the origins of Digimon and the mysteriousness of computers and glitches and inner workings. Lots of other media has probably been influenced by the depth and meaning of glitches and odd digital inner workings in pokemon. Whether it be Porygon seizures which have had an impact on Japanese media for years, or the Missingno. stuff, I feel like I can see it's influence in things like Digimon and .hack//. And I can hardly believe that Pokemon was the first with a seizure fixation or glitch fascination. I think it was a product of others. I think it was intentional. I think the developers know that this sort of thing was this fascinating.

Because after, this glitch feels like a real pokemon and a real facet of this game. And that's an amazing feeling that hasn't much reproduced except for it's bottled presence in .hack//.

And even if this is just a big, massive coincidence of awesome creepiness. It's an amazing chance of awesome that has stayed a fan favorite for years. They should at least now or sometime soon capitalize upon it by reintroducing pokemon 0 with a few glitchy aspects left in and a few edges chopped off to make it compatible and fittable in a general reasonable amount of gaming. And even better, they could take it notoritied and make a big epic deal out of by making in the new "Mewtwo" that was always desired from long since. Have a big whole quest in a new game where Missingno. is some kind of threat to pokemon, human kind, and even the state of the universe itself. And lead into a theme of "Arceus vs. Missingno." in which alpha has to fight omega.

That would be epic. And I think lots of fans would love that. I'm still thinking of promoting this Arceus/Missingno. rivalry in hopes that MAYBE Game Freak might one day catch on. Because that would be the most amazing thing ever and you know it's true.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 24, 2010 4:36 AM

May 2008
MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD MISSINGNO. THREAD

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 6, 2010 6:59 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoyed reading your post. :] You bring up some interesting arguments, but I still think Gamefreak was just too lazy to properly test their programming.

But hooray for a Missingno thread, he should really have an FC!
Mar 8, 2011 2:22 PM

Jun 2009
what about the fact that you cant use it in Stadium, it doesent even show up! that another point for the creepy factor, or how about the fact that it becomes a Ditto when used on Stadium 2? that opens up quite a few questions
Hiding Away in the Memory of a Better Day
Mar 9, 2011 1:18 PM

Aug 2008
Combination of workarounds due to hardware constraints and oversight on the developers part. Missingno isn't part of some sort of global conspiracy, it's just developers doing what developers usually do: be lazy (GAAAAAABE). As for stadium 2, the developers probably put in the defaulting to Ditto so you wouldn't mes sup your game cart.

As a developer myself (small software company), I can attest that we are not all perfect and have to make decisions based on project constraints, deadlines, and nagging clients. I don't know how it exactly works for video games, but from what my more experienced colleagues tell me this is true for all software projects.
Mar 9, 2011 5:26 PM

Jun 2009
dude...you had to ruin it for me didnt you..
Hiding Away in the Memory of a Better Day
Apr 3, 2011 9:08 AM

Feb 2011
Not i wouldn't really think so since glitch city showed they were lazy with testing so i'd pass missingno to be the same but yeh he does need his own FC
Sep 1, 2012 6:18 PM

Apr 2011
"Do you think that the creation of Missingno. was done intentionally?"

No.
Dec 8, 2012 3:02 PM

May 2012
heartpunch said:
"Do you think that the creation of Missingno. was done intentionally?"

No.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Pokemon professor

Hetalia96 - Sep 25, 2016

3 by SobbleBoy27 »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:01 AM

Poll: » What 4th Gen Pokemon Game you like the best?

xDoN904 - Aug 19, 2009

21 by Kirisakei »»
Feb 17, 2022 4:46 PM

» Funny Pokemon related images

KyuuAL - Sep 6, 2010

8 by removed-user »»
Nov 2, 2020 10:41 PM

Poll: » What 1st Gen Pokemon Game you like the best?

xDoN904 - Aug 19, 2009

28 by removed-user »»
Nov 2, 2020 10:39 PM

» Your favourite Gym Leader?

Dalek-kun - May 12, 2014

3 by removed-user »»
Nov 2, 2020 10:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.