Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 23, 2010 5:49 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just Watched Ep 14
Finally its aired.
not really what i expected to be , thought it would have more action kinda thing.
great to see the characters again. even if it was small parts.
seeing hanekawa reminds me of azu~nyan well since hanekawa keeps on saying it.
here are some sreenshots i did.

FabriceFeb 23, 2010 7:41 AM
Feb 23, 2010 6:20 AM

Sep 2008
Nadeko is moe. The only motivation I have in watching this series.

Use a Jap Proxy?
Feb 23, 2010 7:13 AM

May 2009
did anyone manged too see the stream? i'm using a jp proxy but it just stays black :S.....
Feb 23, 2010 7:36 AM

Jun 2008
Finally the episode is here and I must say I liked the whole funny conversation of Araragi and Neko-Hanekawa. Especially when Araragi going all "kawaii" toward her and her teasing him. Though the negative part is I felt the "nya-nya" was almost getting to my nerves sometimes. Other than that, it is me or the fanservice was much more than usual this episode or it's because I haven't watch Bakemonogatari for a while?

(can't wait for the sub cause the second half made me confuse at some words <.<)

^Oh and this made my day and Araragi's blush right after :3
MimikoFeb 23, 2010 3:23 PM
Feb 23, 2010 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
What a shame for Bandai channel, excluding foreign visitors from their stream.

As the DVD/BD owners already claimed, I'm not a fan of the OP animation (song is great) - but I have hopes for the next one.
Nadeko, Kanbaru and Senjogahara are the people from the radio show Hanekawa talked about in the previous episode (LOL)
A lot of service this time, not just the dangerous Nadeko scene but Senjogahara's Tsundere service xD - even topped by the jaw-breaker
The way to solution was very different from what I thought, but the end was not unexpected.
It was worth the wait!
Feb 23, 2010 10:56 AM
Jan 2009
Great as always, a lot of kawaiiness, and the Tsundere Service almost killed me... xD

For those who say they don't remember the story because of all the time waiting... you should have rewatched the previous episodes again and again and again x3

All this time waiting made me suffer a lot, but being Shaft and specifically Bakemonogatari... I forgive everything.
Feb 23, 2010 2:14 PM

Aug 2009
I love the OP animation! It reveals truth within the animation. Such as for this one, the triangle ears represented a triangle relationship which gave away that she liked Araragi. I guess for others it spoils the show..

Ah Nadeko was soo erotic this episode XD Loved! can't wait for the next
[right]

Feb 23, 2010 11:13 PM

Jun 2008
Absolutely worth waiting for.
This episode was simply packed with service, the Tsundere Service being the best.

That Hanekawa likes Araragi i think was clear from the beginning, so that's nothing new. But how Shinobu and Oshino act is pretty incomprehensible.

I didn't particularly like the OP though.
Feb 23, 2010 11:57 PM

Feb 2010
Kusuri said:
Nadeko is moe.

Feb 24, 2010 10:29 AM

Apr 2008
Ah, I got used to normal anime series and going back to this one made me feel a bit awkward. Anyone got the impression that the "phone" scenes and some other cuts were just too long? They could have done it better. At least in terms of animation.

About the story - tsundere service made my day.
Also, I want to talk like cat-Hanekawa-nyan! The seiyuu did a great job, I've never imagined a catgirl speaking like that. Pure awesomeness.

Mimiko said:
(can't wait for the sub cause the second half made me confuse at some words <.<)
agreed.
...::never knows best::...
Feb 24, 2010 1:15 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This.

Doesn't disappoint.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 24, 2010 7:31 PM

Jul 2009
godlike said:
Kusuri said:
Nadeko is moe.
Feb 24, 2010 11:00 PM

Mar 2008
Detective said:
godlike said:
Kusuri said:
Nadeko is moe.

Feb 24, 2010 11:36 PM

Nov 2007
Proselyt said:
I didn't particularly like the OP though.

It wasn't even an animation to begin with. Can Shaft put a real live naked lady on the OP? They're must be trying to push the limit. I wonder if they're going to animate Nisemonogatari. THAT book pushed the limit to the fullest.

Feb 26, 2010 5:06 AM

Dec 2007
Awesome episode, this was so worth the wait! Tsundere Service for the win.

For all I care Hanekawa can stay possesed by the cat forever. I like her more this way ~nyan~:3
Feb 26, 2010 12:18 PM

Dec 2007
FUCK YEAH IT'S OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 26, 2010 1:06 PM

Apr 2009
hehe nice episode and nice ending :)
Feb 26, 2010 1:32 PM
Nov 2009
So I take it that subs are out? Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to get the subbed episode?
Feb 26, 2010 1:34 PM

Feb 2009
LeftWingGuerilla said:
So I take it that subs are out? Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to get the subbed episode?

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=116082
Also,I beg someone to tell me how are the subs.Should I wait for another group?
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Feb 26, 2010 1:44 PM
Nov 2009
@above Thanks for the link. Time to download at the speed of a snail.
Feb 26, 2010 1:44 PM

Aug 2008
heeeellll yeeeeahhh,seeing this shit just came out made my day, even though quality won't be as epic as it should be for best series of the year
Feb 26, 2010 2:01 PM

Jun 2008
wakka9ca said:
This.

Doesn't disappoint.
Feb 26, 2010 3:30 PM

Nov 2009
Great episode.^_^

Can't wait for the finale, hope it doesn't take long.
Feb 26, 2010 3:39 PM

Dec 2009
Heck, I totally forgot how awesome Bakemonogatari is <3
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Feb 26, 2010 3:52 PM

Jul 2009
I really wonder how it possibly can take such an unbelievably long time to produce and release this half arsed garbage show. -.-'
There's nothing exceptional or especially good about it that would require even a slight amount of time to do, the art is extremely bland, filled with still frames and "cut" pages and most frames consists of 4 or 5 different colours at best. The dialogues are very linear and emotionless and there's plenty of reused comments and jokes throughout the entire show..

Just what the hell is taking time during the making? And something that amazes me even more, is that some people actually call this, and I quote "The best anime of 09"... it's just sad.. so sad..

The one and ONLY somewhat decent thing about this anime is the story which actually hold a bit of quality uniqueness and leaves you curious enough, wanting to see the next episode just to see how thing fold out.
Even so it's no where near 'perfect' or spectacular, there is still the undergoing chapter harem theme and typical tsundere love interest, which both are extremely common.

As for this show in particular.
Tsubasa cat provided some entertainment but overall it just worked as a reminder on how extremely bland this show is.
Please just give us the last episode soon so I can put this in my completed list and never watch it again.
Feb 26, 2010 3:55 PM

Aug 2009
EternalDreamer said:
I really wonder how it possibly can take such an unbelievably long time to produce and release this half arsed garbage show. -.-'
There's nothing exceptional or especially good about it that would require even a slight amount of time to do, the art is extremely bland, filled with still frames and "cut" pages and most frames consists of 4 or 5 different colours at best. The dialogues are very linear and emotionless and there's plenty of reused comments and jokes throughout the entire show..

Just what the hell is taking time during the making? And something that amazes me even more, is that some people actually call this, and I quote "The best anime of 09"... it's just sad.. so sad..

The one and ONLY somewhat decent thing about this anime is the story which actually hold a bit of quality uniqueness and leaves you curious enough, wanting to see the next episode just to see how thing fold out.
Even so it's no where near 'perfect' or spectacular, there is still the undergoing chapter harem theme and typical tsundere love interest, which both are extremely common.

As for this show in particular.
Tsubasa cat provided some entertainment but overall it just worked as a reminder on how extremely bland this show is.
Please just give us the last episode soon so I can put this in my completed list and never watch it again.

Tsundere much?
[right]

Feb 26, 2010 4:03 PM

Sep 2008
I love Shinobu and her love for donuts; somehow it's very cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2010 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
porkypink said:

Tsundere much?

Very witty of you good Sir, and thanks for posting that totally refreshing and discussion creating comment. (Best to add :Sarcasm: to not confuse you^^)

I was merely stating a fact and added my opinion about what I think of this episode and the show in general, and you know maybe create an actual discussion instead of low-life name calling.
Feb 26, 2010 4:21 PM

Aug 2009
While I enjoyed the episode (Neko Hanekawa fanservice!), I didn't like how it was largely one big setup, and that we already pretty much knew what's been causing the stress. I mean, who *didn't* see that one coming?

Loved the op song, video was meh. Honestly, none of the Bakemongatari OPs have disappointed; each one captures the girl's personality perfectly, while being fun/cool in their own right.

I wonder how long it took Yui Horie to get the "nyan" tic down, because as far as I can tell, she did it perfectly.
Ha-cha!
Feb 26, 2010 4:35 PM

Jun 2009
Finally ep14.
OP's video was horrible, song was nice though.
Hanekawa fanservice was also nice, she looks good as a cat, and her "nyan~" way of speaking. ^^
And "a cat is fine too" reference here feels little out of place.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 26, 2010 4:49 PM

Aug 2009
Sorry for not having an explanation,

I just pulled that out because you basically said that the anime was a "garbage show" but you wanna finish it. If you hate it so much you could always drop it, but you refuse to do so. The things you say and your eager to finish it was ironic which reminded me of the term tsundere. Sorry if it offended you. Tsundere is not (to me) a name calling, bad expression of exampling. Tsundere in my own words, is the idea that your expression towards a person or subject is poor, but your true feelings can't deny the love for it.
[right]

Feb 26, 2010 5:23 PM

Feb 2008
EternalDreamer said:
I really wonder how it possibly can take such an unbelievably long time to produce and release this half arsed garbage show.
Well, Shaft is doing two shows, a movie and these webcasts at the same time, not to mention having to fix stuff up for the BDs of pretty much all of their shows. They're overworked and understaffed and in desperate need of a break. If you had followed the news, you'd know this. They even pushed back BD/DVD release dates in order to not release unfinished products. The last Bakemonogatari release will likely be pushed back yet again.
I think they "only" have one show next season but I'm sure they've even barely started that, meaning it'll probably suffer from the same problems, be late, not properly animated etc.

The reason people like this show isn't the animation, although that's quite good (at least when it's finished, lol), it's the character interactions. The story is rather secondary; this is basically a slice of life show, and the animation is simply icing on the cake. This show would function quite well as an audio drama. The fact that you don't "get that" is why you don't like it. Maybe you just don't like talkies, I don't know.

All that being said, the animation was indeed weak but I won't base my opinion of this episode based on that anyway; the full verdict will come with the BD release. Everything else was top notch. Tsundere servive and seiyuu service galore. Hopefully I'm wrong about the last episode and it'll arrive within the month.
Feb 26, 2010 5:58 PM
Oct 2008
Nice ep, but we had to wait for ages :@
Feb 26, 2010 6:05 PM

Jul 2008
Not my favorite episode, but still good. I would have preferred and animated OP. I hope the finale comes soon :)
Feb 26, 2010 6:16 PM

Jul 2009
kuroshiroi said:
EternalDreamer said:
I really wonder how it possibly can take such an unbelievably long time to produce and release this half arsed garbage show.
Well, Shaft is doing two shows, a movie and these webcasts at the same time, not to mention having to fix stuff up for the BDs of pretty much all of their shows. They're overworked and understaffed and in desperate need of a break. If you had followed the news, you'd know this.
Yeah, I am aware of this, my point is even if overworked (they got themselves to blame since they added more work whilst already struggling with Bakemonogatari during the autumn) Just how can it take this amount of time to create something so 'simple' compared to many weekly anime releases. I mean almost 4 months is definitely stretching it for something holding this quality.

porkypink said:
I just pulled that out because you basically said that the anime was a "garbage show" but you wanna finish it. If you hate it so much you could always drop it
I want to finish it for one simple reason, if I have manage to endure trough it this far I'm definitely not going to drop at the very end. =P
Watched trough all the first 11 episodes in one go due to nothing else to do and I wanted to see this "great" show that everyone was so worked up about.
Feb 26, 2010 6:26 PM

Nov 2009
EternalDreamer said:
porkypink said:

Tsundere much?

Very witty of you good Sir, and thanks for posting that totally refreshing and discussion creating comment. (Best to add :Sarcasm: to not confuse you^^)

I was merely stating a fact and added my opinion about what I think of this episode and the show in general, and you know maybe create an actual discussion instead of low-life name calling.

A "very witty" post requires a "very witty" reply. Pro Tip: If you're going to blast a critically and popularly acclaimed series, you should generally back up what you say with evidence. I can say any show's dialogue "is linear and bland" but that doesn't make it true. Site evidence instead of just spouting insults. What the hell does linear dialogue even mean? Last time I checked, dialogue only went a one way. Most people don't randomly redo conversations at certain points and branch out from there.

As for the art style, simplicity =/= bland. The art is incredibly clean and this show features some of the most distinct character designs I've seen in the past few years. I've never seen anything like the backgrounds in this show. Just because it doesn't go for a realistic look doesn't make it bad. The park scene early on in the show with Hitagi and Koyomi was very simple, but very nice to look at in my opinion. Your attention is directed through the use of color and repetition.

You think the one redeeming quality is the story? The plot in Bakemonogatari is just a tool used in character development. Characters is what this show is all about.

I think the real issue is that you simply don't get this show. I'm sure if I was unable to pick up on the undertones in the dialogue, understand the art direction, or realize the focus of the show, I wouldn't enjoy it either. This isn't some KyoAni romance, it's a bit more complicated than that.

EDIT:

On Topic: God, Cat-Hanekawa is... lust incarnate. Cute, sexy, everything. I almost died during that tongue twister part. At the same time, she's not an idiot, either (despite what Araragi thinks). I think this episode perhaps best illustrates the flaw in Araragi's outlook, his "I'm going to save everyone" way of thinking. This outlook effectively makes everyone equal for him, and refuses to acknowledge that they have different roles in his life. He can't save everyone. He can't treat everyone as an equal priority. He started to see that with Nadeko, but this thing with Hanekawa is what's really going to force a change in him.

Edit 2: "I don't meow everything, I just happen to meow this." - I lawled.
tarheel91Feb 26, 2010 6:32 PM
Feb 26, 2010 6:36 PM

Jul 2009
Now that's Horie Yui's quality..nice voice actress..i don't know much about japanese language but it's probably hard to put the "nyan" on the sentence and perfectly executed, but i'm amazed and the sexiness of the cat is pulled out well with her voice
Feb 26, 2010 6:47 PM

Aug 2009
Laevantein said:
Now that's Horie Yui's quality..nice voice actress..i don't know much about japanese language but it's probably hard to put the "nyan" on the sentence and perfectly executed, but i'm amazed and the sexiness of the cat is pulled out well with her voice

Was just about to say that but got a black out and just recovered from it XD
Yea that was greatly done by the voice actress. Not only Araragi told her a tongue twister but she also had to replace the N column with nya.
[right]

Feb 26, 2010 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
Has anyone decent subbed this? [pem] released a sub does anyone know if it's any good?
Feb 26, 2010 7:06 PM

Jan 2010
I think the real issue is that you simply don't get this show. I'm sure if I was unable to pick up on the undertones in the dialogue, understand the art direction, or realize the focus of the show, I wouldn't enjoy it either. This isn't some KyoAni romance, it's a bit more complicated than that.

Okay, I don't understand this.

This is the second back-hand I've seen given to KyoAni lately. Didn't they produce Haruhi?

Why use them as the bland and linear romance producer? Just wondering.

On Topic: God, Cat-Hanekawa is... lust incarnate. Cute, sexy, everything. I almost died during that tongue twister part. At the same time, she's not an idiot, either (despite what Araragi thinks). I think this episode perhaps best illustrates the flaw in Araragi's outlook, his "I'm going to save everyone" way of thinking. This outlook effectively makes everyone equal for him, and refuses to acknowledge that they have different roles in his life. He can't save everyone. He can't treat everyone as an equal priority. He started to see that with Nadeko, but this thing with Hanekawa is what's really going to force a change in him.

Edit 2: "I don't meow everything, I just happen to meow this." - I lawled.

Well put. There have been some riveting performances so far in this series. It is wonderful to see Hanekawa step up to the plate and hit one out of the park, for her arc. I wonder if she had to audition for these lines when she was selected for the role.
Feb 26, 2010 7:07 PM

Jul 2009
tarheel91 said:
EternalDreamer said:
porkypink said:

Tsundere much?

A "very witty" post requires a "very witty" reply.

Oh really? Well thanks for clarifying that because I myself was completely oblivious to that rule :rolls eyes:

tarheel91 said:
Pro Tip: If you're going to blast a critically and popularly acclaimed series, you should generally back up what you say with evidence.
I would assume watching the actual episode is evidence enough since all my points come from that source?
Or do you want frame caps from different shows comparing them against said episode followed by the actual criticising opinion.

tarheel91 said:
I can say any show's dialogue "is linear and bland" but that doesn't make it true. Site evidence instead of just spouting insults. What the hell does linear dialogue even mean? Last time I checked, dialogue only went a one way. Most people don't randomly redo conversations at certain points and branch out from there.
Again you just disagree with my opinion and bluntly state "it's wrong", and just in what why is this insulting?
I agree that "linear" might not have been the best choice of words (I use the "I'm not native English speaker" defence card =P)
What I meant was that the dialogues lack 'essence and emotions', most if it sounds like it's being read line by line from a piece of paper without any feeling put into it.

tarheel91 said:
You think the one redeeming quality is the story? The plot in Bakemonogatari is just a tool used in character development. Characters is what this show is all about.

Well if that's the case they definitely go at it with the wrong approach, seeing all main characters are girls (Araragi, Meme aside), have a supernatural problem that needs solving, and have a slight crush on Araragi. Plus in my opinion if the show is about character development there are too many of them and to stretched of a focus.

tarheel91 said:
I think the real issue is that you simply don't get this show.

You hit the nail on that one. I absolutely fail to see how people (like yourself) can be so enthralled by this show, and actually be satisfied by how SHAFT does thing.

Edit: Now you forced my to do what I myself hate to see, walls of text filled with quotations, damn you ;P
Waaay to late and to many beers for my brain to function properly now, off to bed now and we'll see about the rest of the discussion in the morning ;)
EternalDreamerFeb 26, 2010 7:17 PM
Feb 26, 2010 7:11 PM

Jan 2010
Also, I loved how Senjougahara's concern wasn't for his safety. It was that he come back to her.

The whole exchange reminded me of the 'humanitarian aid' scene in the previous episode. (Wow, that's a long time between episodes.)
Feb 26, 2010 7:17 PM

Sep 2009
I love the cat..very fun to watch. Looks like Araragi is in a tough position.
Feb 26, 2010 7:26 PM

Jul 2008
i guess its kind of nice to have a harem to call in to help. also... nekomimi for the win!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Feb 26, 2010 7:37 PM
Feb 26, 2010 7:47 PM

Apr 2008
Awesome episode xD Nya nya nyan na~ so cute

Feb 26, 2010 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
quicksilverzx said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRbtCo-Cv0

:3

LOL.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Feb 26, 2010 8:15 PM

Aug 2009
quicksilverzx said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRbtCo-Cv0

:3

:3 indeed.
Ha-cha!
Feb 26, 2010 9:10 PM

Feb 2008
This episode reminded me of how much I truly love this show. <3

The humor in this episode was great! Also loved seeing all the characters as well. Though I'm pretty sure I've heard enough nya~ to last a lifetime-nya.

I definitely plan to rewatch the series as soon as we finally get the last episode.
Feb 26, 2010 9:11 PM

Feb 2008
i knew what her "stress" was before they even said it. hehe next episode should be interesting.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Yesterday, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

25 by HeshamJohnny »»
Apr 13, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.