Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 20, 2010 3:52 PM

Jun 2008
What do you think? Are you going to see it? Or do you think it is a bad idea?
Please post your comments!!!

Personally I am so excited! If aqnyone could make this movie it would be M.Night.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 2, 2010 12:39 PM

Aug 2009
I can't wait for it.
it would have been better though,if the movie was called ''avatar'' and not ''the last airbender''
but what to do when some lame movie steals the name >_>
Mar 4, 2010 4:04 PM

Jun 2008
I know right? Curse you James Cameron!
Mar 16, 2010 10:45 AM

Jul 2009
Haha, I thought I was the only one who was upset about the name.
Mar 21, 2010 6:03 PM

Mar 2010
I'm soo excited. The trailer/special effects look awesome. Plus Dev Patel as Zuko? Double yummy.
Apr 14, 2010 11:07 PM

Apr 2010
I'm not very happy. First it's a hollywood movie. They are going to ruin the series like Dragon Ball Evolution did for DBZ. The director took out the 'farty jokes' and now it's just fighting and drama. He has taken out the heart and soul of the avatar series :(
Apr 20, 2010 6:23 AM
Apr 2010
Avatar The last airbender movie comes out in somewere julay in 2010! Its great for sure and i can't wait for it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
May 24, 2010 4:27 PM

Mar 2010
I can't wait for July 2.
Jun 6, 2010 12:48 AM

Jan 2009
I can not wait too.
dont believe in Love & happiness...

Jun 10, 2010 2:46 PM

May 2007
Frankly, I am dreading it.

First of all the whitewashed cast is pretty bad. I understand that talent should come before appearance, but there are enough people of enough races out there that I think they could have worked out a better solution than making every main character white. Well, except for Zuko, who will be the villain, and was originally going to be white until that actor dropped out and they had to recast him. I'm not saying that casting should have been based solely on skin color, but I think that accurate appearance and culture should have been more of an issue. The waterbenders were dark skinned, and pretty clearly based on Asian Eskimos. Why not have someone from an Inuit or Eskimo culture play them?

Secondly, judging by the trailers the movie seems to be devoid of any humor, focusing exclusively on the action aspects of the series. Probably this is not an entirely accurate impression. I'm sure there is some adventure and most likely some character development in the movie. However, the predominance of action in the trailers tells me that action will also dominate the movie. the action in A:tLA was great, but it was never the most important part of the show.

Finally, it's being directed by M. Night Shyamalan. When was the last time he made a good movie?

I don't mean to be a downer, but... actually I guess I am kind of being a downer. If people like it, that's fine, but judging from what I've seen so far I don't think I'll enjoy it.

Still, it won't change the excellence of the series, so even if the movie is horrible, it won't really affect anything much.
Jun 11, 2010 6:35 PM

Jan 2008
@honeybunch
I was thinking the exact same thing (about the actors). Additionally, I don't see how they're going to fit an entire season into one movie, which I doubt they will. They'll probably be forced to remove some things that are very critical to the story. I just hope I'm wrong.
When being served something as sweet and delicious as cake, it's not having the cake that's important. It's the enjoyment of eating that cake that's important, and it's more enjoyable when done with a friend.

Jun 26, 2010 7:43 PM
Jan 2009
i dont think it looks like it is gonna be very good but i might give it a chance when it comes out in DVD which will cost a whole lot less, just to be safe. but the actors seem very bad and i heard tht the guy who produced the movie made really bad movies so thats mainly why im a bit skeptical about paying 11 bucks to go watch it....
Jun 27, 2010 5:26 PM

Apr 2008
I honestly don't expect this to be a good movie or a good adaptation. At all. But I'm still going to see it because my inner Avatar nut wants to be pleasantly surprised. I figure, even if it isn't good, at least it'll be acceptable as a martial arts/special effects movie, because those look pretty awesome in the trailers.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 2, 2010 6:26 PM

Aug 2009

Ahhh! There is sooo much more that is wrong with this movie that I really don't know where else to start.
AyaSeiranJul 2, 2010 6:34 PM
Come and join us!

Jul 10, 2010 9:29 AM

Mar 2009
I noticed one of the biggest problems throughout the movie was character developement. I really didn't get the realistic feel from the characters at all in the movie, where as its my favorite part of the show.

In the movie Aang didn't seem fun and carefree and he seemed completely serious the whole time.
Sokka wasn't sarcastic and funny.
Zuko seemed like some random villian who had no dramatic life at all. He didn't have enough lines, and they didn't go into his past enough, I didn't feel sorry for his character at all. And when the pirates blew his ship up I didn't care, where as I cried when I saw that in the show. xD
Katara also didn't seem to get enough lines, I never really got much of a feel for her personality at all.

Overall I didn't hate the movie, but I wasn't really pleased either. I think some people make the movie out to be worse than it is, but don't get me wrong, its lacking in many areas and can never compare with the actual show.
Ange-BeatriceAug 1, 2011 3:30 PM
Jul 23, 2010 1:11 PM

Mar 2010
what? the movie was great. best movie of the summer
Jul 27, 2010 2:16 AM

Feb 2010
The most annoying thing about this movie was the cast of characters and i really hated how they mispronounced certain names. I was laughing in the theater every time they pronounced someone's name wrong because all the little kids who got their parents to see the movie kept saying "thats not how you say it!". I also hated the whole idea how fire benders must have a fire near them so they can bend it at people and only strong expert fire benders can actually bend fire right out of their hands. the effects were good but of course i went to see it with my friends who wanted to see it in 3D becuz they never have gone to see a movie in 3D and it didn't make the movie any better. examples from my ranting above would be them casting monk gyatso as a muscular black guy instead of an old white man.

also the scar on zuko's face was really little haha
Jul 29, 2010 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
^ I disagree that they should have made Zuko's scar as visible as it was in the cartoon, though I do agree it was pathetic in the movie.

I know a girl with the EXACT same burn scar (I'm serious) and it's not nice to look at AT ALL. However Zuko's scar in the cartoon never looked hideous.

Anyways, for the movie itself. It was full of the lulz.
Jul 29, 2010 11:53 AM
Apr 2010
Heh, the movie failed alot.. i was hopeing much more.. Most cooler was Appa..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 17, 2010 3:53 AM

Aug 2010
I'm going to see this tonight!!
Aug 17, 2010 6:01 AM

Jul 2008
Oh wait... Dev Patel was supposed to be Zuko? I didn't even notice. I thought he was playing an original character. In all seriousness though this movie failed in every aspect. The acting was terrible, the plot moved way too fast (did we even see Aang learning waterbending), the diagloue was painful, everything is so forced, unnecessary details were revealed too early on, a lot of things just don't add up and the bending was a complete disappointment. What were Aang and Zuko doing having a normal fight? I want to see a battle involving the elements for goodness sake. More importantly why were they hanging out in that room anyway, isn't Zuko supposed to be trying to escape? No spirit world, no Koyshi warriors, no Roku, no Hei Bai, no Koh, the Avatar State is just boring, yada yada yada... Do yourself a favour and don't pay to see this mess. Just watch it online. Oh and I seriously doubt there will be a sequel. Maybe a reboot a couple of years down the line, but I am sure M. Night is never going to touch this franchise ever again.
ToukaAug 17, 2010 6:05 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Aug 17, 2010 6:20 PM
Jan 2009
That movie was so disappointing. I went with some friends, some of who are fans of the original series and others who weren't. The ones that were fans, me and two friends, didn't like it. The ones that weren't fans actually found it okay. So if you're a fan, it will disappoint, if you're not, check it out... at your own risk.
Aug 27, 2010 8:43 PM
Apr 2010
I've read too many bad reviews about TLA , but It wasn't that bad. The only good actors where the ones playing Iroh, Zuko, Princess Yue and Aang.
Nov 17, 2010 10:22 PM

Feb 2008
Worst movie I've ever seen, couldn't even force myself to continue watching it after the events from the first two episodes. If I'd never watched the series I might have been able to finish it but I doubt I'd have scored it above a 5/10. As is, I know what they butchered (even if I don't know why) so this is definitely a 1/10. I really really hope that they don't let Shamaylan (or anyone else responsible for this monstrosity) within 100 miles of the second movie or anyone associated with it.

Edit: tried to force myself to finish it again, but the shear stupidity of "imprisoning" earthbenders on soft earth surrounded by hard earth was too much for me to take. if they didn't want to do the prison scene right then they shouldn't have done it at all :/
jacobpaigeNov 17, 2010 10:45 PM
Apr 22, 2011 3:52 AM

Jan 2011
hmmmmm, judging by all these negative responses from the movie I think I'll try and avoid
that is unless I get bored one day and actually succumb to the same fate as everyone else here
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Feb 1, 2012 8:11 AM

Jan 2012
i´ve seen the movie 2 times and i have to say it is a way more inferior than the series.
But it´s too bad that they don´t make it complete, even if its bad
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Mahatma Gandhi, *02-Oct-1869, † 30-Jan-1948
Apr 24, 2012 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
I'm still waiting for the second part. I must say I kind of liked the movie, not as much as the series of course, but still they've done a very good job ;)
May 29, 2023 7:51 AM
Dec 2011
If you are talking about this movie The Last Airbender (movie) then it is the worst that is. 4/10 with 167,000 votes on IMDB. My score is 1/10.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite Character? ( 1 2 3 )

Shielder - Sep 8, 2007

113 by DreamingGhost »»
May 29, 2023 7:57 AM

Sticky: » Choose Your Nation ( 1 2 3 )

eMTee-niss - Jul 13, 2009

119 by DreamingGhost »»
May 29, 2023 7:55 AM

Poll: » Which is you best bending element? water, fire, air, or earth? ( 1 2 )

Awesome1 - Mar 13, 2008

52 by DreamingGhost »»
May 25, 2023 11:36 PM

» MAL Petition ( 1 2 )

renjikuchiki1 - Jul 5, 2009

97 by MonstroHormonal »»
Jan 27, 2022 6:42 AM

» Avatar is not considered anime, but

hany0u - Dec 20, 2021

0 by hany0u »»
Dec 20, 2021 9:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.