Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 21, 2010 3:29 AM

Dec 2008
Spookt said:
I'm confused how a trumpet on a noisy, mechanized battlefield is supposed to, um, you know, be heard...
and why must a person go out of the tank to make the signal ;D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2010 10:43 AM

Feb 2010
Asukai-san said:
I will agree with you that if someone is denouncing it just because of the the K-ON art similarity then they no nothing about the anime itself, as the plot is nothing like K-ONs, and thus have no real grounds to say anything bad about it.

Yeah, exactly. And I know some friends who refused to watch it and already deslike it just by comparing it to K-ON! that's why I included closed minded. I was not saying that everyone except them must like or anything like that, so I totally agree with your opinion that no anime is for everyone, in fact even you and I would might deslike it since the series isn't finished yet, right? :D

Fabienne said:
Spookt said:
I'm confused how a trumpet on a noisy, mechanized battlefield is supposed to, um, you know, be heard...
and why must a person go out of the tank to make the signal ;D

To cordenate the foot soldiers and the rest of the battalion about their advances/positions/situation maybe? I don't really get it too, since would be more racional create some signal by using the tank itself.
Feb 21, 2010 2:34 PM

Aug 2009
Faytz said:
Tatynin said:

Only those people who have a stoneheart could not love [Sora no Woto].

>.<

Closed-minded's also might be included...

So, I'm closed-minded stoneheart just because I'm disliking this anime? >_> cool logics bro. This might your cup of tea, but its not mine.

Asukai-san said:
Faytz said:
Asukai-san said:

I really enjoy this anime
but i am a strong advocate of the idea that no anime is for everyone regardless of how good it is.
so would have to disagree that only the stonehearted and closed-minded would dislike Sora no Woto

I agree with that, for me is always acceptable that everyone has its own opinions about a story and if it is good or not according to their own judgement. But I just said in that case that closed-minded's are also included - not the only ones - and was more to that ones that might deslike by comparing it to the whole K-ON! series without even give it a try to see how good or bad actually is.

I will agree with you that if someone is denouncing it just because of the the K-ON art similarity then they no nothing about the anime itself, as the plot is nothing like K-ONs, and thus have no real grounds to say anything bad about it.

Lol accept the truth, the first few episode had really that K-On atmosphere with Kanata trumpet faggotry. What's so wrong with dropping this anime for K-on alike? Why is it close minded?... >_> Why avoiding similar cup of tea that someone hates is stone hearted? I can find no basis of saying that.

I mean seriously. I disapprove this sudden hype going on with this anime. Nothing actually advanced from the start... Only thing I liked is spider CG tanks that is contradictory to the circumstance itself.
Feb 21, 2010 8:50 PM

Aug 2008
Was that a wing? What the heck are they fighting?
"Cicadas, even though their lives last only a few weeks, fall in love and disappear"

~Heed the roar of the mighty ocelot~
Feb 21, 2010 10:31 PM

May 2008
Sora no Woto resembles K-On mostly in art design. The military trumpet thing is really quite a bit different from the high school band thing. And it far more resembles several other anime.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 22, 2010 7:26 AM

Oct 2009
masterhoopla said:
Was that a wing? What the heck are they fighting?
That's exactly what I though. So the beam thing came out from a monster that is connected most likely to that skeleton that Kanata saw in the beginning.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 22, 2010 7:29 PM

Jul 2008
Alexstratz said:
Woa woa woa woa, what the heck? There's actually war in this anime? Either they planned this in advance or they listened to the audience.

Actually except when it's a long running series most if not all the episode are made before the first one even air, saying that they are listening to the audience work on long run series such as most mainstream but mean nothing here.

Anyway good episode
Feb 23, 2010 3:17 AM

Feb 2010
I guess I have to admit, this was the episode yet. But I never thought felicia was the type to have a sad past like that.

The lines were pretty cheesy, but I liked them :P

Feb 23, 2010 4:22 AM

May 2008
How is it cheesy to say something blatantly true?
If anything, it's kind of sad that coming to this obvious realization is a character development for many people in anime.

I actually don't hear that statement all THAT often in anime. I more often hear them wallowing around in sadness trying to find life's "purpose", and then finally get sorta better and halfway realize something like this. And just say something like "well I've found people to protect that's the meaning of life" shounen garbage.

Saying that there's no meaning in life, and therefor you can make whatever of life you want, it a great statement. Why is that cheesy? It's better than what most characters say by far.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 23, 2010 2:34 PM

Aug 2008
kerlyenai said:

"Quelque chose comme Dupont"...

A rather good episode which showed also revealed a little background about the imaginary world of "Sora no Woto". Perhaps we can expect more depth still in the episodes to come.
Man, i forgot what that meant...
Anyways, we finally get to see why this is a war anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2010 7:09 PM

Jun 2008
southdkotaboy said:
Next we know that there has been a very long war or series of wars that have A. decimated the environment to the point where large bodies of water have no life in them and large stretches of land that have been rendered uninhabitalbe
I just have to comment on this. It is possible with nukes for this to happen, but somehow the land doesn't seem to have the radioactive effect like it should. So that would have to mean that there was some kind of nuclear-free weapon of mass destruction that decimated the land.
The water, I'm iffy on that part. You'd have to somehow affect the 70%+ of what covers the earth all at once, or at least very quickly. I can't see this happening. IN fact, the waters would have to be evaporated for all life to just disappear. Maybe just the large lifeform were destroyed.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 24, 2010 11:50 AM

May 2009
What the hell brought the end of the world upon them? We didn't get a clear view of it. Some kind of winged creature, probably the skeleton seen in the first episode? Well, this was probably one of my favorite episodes of the anime. It was kinda emotional, I liked that. And it was nice to see all the flashbacks.
Feb 25, 2010 11:13 AM

Mar 2008
I'm glad this series is becoming more serious. Although the role of the trumpet girl made little sense, they could easily make a signal from the thank.
Feb 25, 2010 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
Here's the thing. Military's are slow to adapt some methods in wartime situations. Recall that the British forces marched in lines during the American Revolution. They were basically a shooting gallery for the guerrilla American forces that used a much more freeform design. It's likely the same thing here. The Helvetia military is hanging on to an archaic method of signaling because they never saw the need to change things before the war started. It's like a massive beacon that says "Shoot me!" and thus why the enemy sent a tank to flank them.
Feb 25, 2010 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
War is a bad thing. Finally some serious and emotional background. THe best episode so far, but the story needs more explanations...
Feb 27, 2010 8:20 PM

Dec 2007
This episode have nice development and emotional background for Felicia, and it actually have a good plot this time.
gameoffreak8Feb 27, 2010 8:24 PM
Feb 28, 2010 7:13 AM
Jul 2008
CkretAznMan said:
kerlyenai said:

"Quelque chose comme Dupont"...

A rather good episode which showed also revealed a little background about the imaginary world of "Sora no Woto". Perhaps we can expect more depth still in the episodes to come.
Man, i forgot what that meant...
Anyways, we finally get to see why this is a war anime.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but if you are, as I think, wondering about the meaning of those French words well then here it is: "Something like Dupont". Pretty simple. :)
It's what Felicia writes at the end of the list of names on the lamp she sets afloat. It refers to the dead soldier whose identity she doesn't know. "Dupont" is an extremely common French name (like Smith in the UK) hence probably her decision to write that. Literally "Dupont" means "from the Bridge" but perhaps that is too much information. :P
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Mar 2, 2010 4:03 AM

May 2009
I'm sick of all that teasing... now they brought war-scenes, but in flashback sequences, so... is there anything actually going to happen or was that the last we've seen of combat situation?
Please, I need some active escalating conflict in this series, or else I can't get myself to like it^^
Mar 4, 2010 3:31 AM

Jan 2008
Mar 5, 2010 4:43 AM
Mar 2010
For those wondering about the significance of using a bugle caller in the midst of battle like that, here's my guess:

There were probably no other means of communication. As I have seen in the eps so far, there weren't any wireless communication found. Using the bugle call was probably a means for calling infantry back up on that situation. If only there were infantry to support them, they would've easily spotted that soldier that out flanked them hence the "ROCKET AT 3'00---!! *BOOOM!*"

Best episode btw.
Mar 18, 2010 4:02 PM
Mar 2008
It's like I'm really watching Haibane Renmei without a scrap of subtlety!
Mar 24, 2010 6:51 PM

Jun 2008
It's nice to finally start seeing some back story and development from this series. Who would have thought that Felicia's past was so tragic like that. She certainly didn't give any hints that it was.
Mar 27, 2010 11:54 PM

Dec 2008
I liked this episode, it got interested in this series again.
Jul 25, 2010 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
No we finally get som background story.
Dec 1, 2010 2:07 PM

Jun 2009
Awesome episode. We finally got to see some bits about the war.

I didn’t expect Filicia of all persons to have such a tragic past because of the war… And I wonder how was Noël present in there…
So, the mysterious blonde girl is actually named “Iliya” and is a princess. I’m pretty sure that means Rio has some royalty too.

It was a really touching episode, teared up at the end.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Dec 12, 2010 9:22 PM

Aug 2010
Now I know where the PostTraumaticStressDisordah.jpg is all about.
Jan 30, 2011 10:43 AM

Jul 2009
Awesome episode! That's really.. unexpectable. I hope there will be something like this in the rest of series.

Other episodes is not so bad either. I like this series :3

Anisamar said:
I’m pretty sure that means Rio has some royalty too.

Sure. And that Priest knows something about her.
Jan 14, 2012 8:07 AM
Jul 2009
I like how the anime develops and gives us more background story. Really exciting!
Sep 3, 2012 11:34 PM

Sep 2011
What an intense past. Great episode!
Oct 2, 2012 8:03 AM

Nov 2011
Man, Illena or whatever her name really gets around! She is the core to like everyone's past!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 15, 2012 7:14 PM

Apr 2012
Best episode so far; it brought some much needed seriousness into the series.

It was also nice to have Felicia's backstory and character fleshed out some more, especially since she's the captain and - as it turns out - the only one to have experienced actual combat (or not, because Noël said she'd 'experienced' it too).

Also, I'm wondering if there'll be even just a little shouji-ai in this, since Filicia and Rio are holding hands on the anime's cover picture, and Rio seems rather concerned for Filicia. If not, well... I'm allowed to dream, right? :3
Jan 27, 2013 3:48 PM

Sep 2011
I like the turn to the more serious theme. Felicia's story was pretty sad :(
But that's just how wars are...

The whole thing that happened in the past brought up some questions in me, hope they answer it all.
For one, the tank in the fort is clearly an older one (from before the apocalypse, the ones in the flashback).
I also remembered that the legend of the city or whatever involved the help of a "spider" for the maidens. So it was probably one of the old/new tanks (they even showed the one at the fort when they were telling the story), wasn't it?
But then what of the winged demon? Was it really an animal like the bone-like thing under the water from ep1? Also, just before the laser was fired (the ones which destroyed the city in the flashback) they showed the windows of a building and we could see birds flying away and one big wing being spread out (or maybe it was just close to the building). Could be a bird-like machine? That doesn't explain the bone-like things though.

Hmm, can't wait to know more, I really hope they won't just leave it like this.
RazielZeroJan 27, 2013 3:53 PM
Jan 28, 2013 2:50 AM
Apr 2012
In addition to your reasoning - please reckon the inversion of the city legend, which the line-crosser from Roman army carried with herself!
(i mean you've already seen the 11th episode, haven't you?)
Jan 28, 2013 10:36 AM

Sep 2011
I didn't, and I have no idea what you are talking about. I think it was made very clear by my comment. I mean I was thinking and guessing the connections of the things I saw so far. I even said that I hope I will get to know the answers to these, and that I hope for more of this serious theme.

But thanks for the spoiler if it was one :/
Feb 22, 2013 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
Best episode yet.
I loved the hug and confessions at the end.
So sweet
May 11, 2013 2:39 AM

Sep 2012
That was a kinda dark past. War and trauma...
Sep 12, 2013 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
Well this was quite a surprising turn in the series. Very thought provoking and bittersweet episode, I especially like what Filicia says at the end.

"And then I realized it. I'm sure there isn't any sort of meaning to this world. But isn't that still wonderful? Because i there isn't one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
Nov 1, 2013 2:26 PM

Sep 2012
Wonderful episode!
Nov 26, 2013 12:30 PM

Apr 2012
This was easily the best episode of the entire series so far.

That final though as well:
Ratohnhaketon said:
"And then I realized it. I'm sure there isn't any sort of meaning to this world. But isn't that still wonderful? Because if there isn't one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
Beautiful is all I can use to describe it.

Jun 14, 2014 5:25 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive episode, quite touching I'd say, well let's see what the special episode have to offer! Up to 7.5!
Jul 23, 2014 6:46 PM

Nov 2012
Still one of my favorite episodes of all time. So powerful!
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Sep 14, 2014 11:07 PM

Sep 2013
Hmm, certainly did not expect that (lol)- The last few minutes was kind of weird though, she suddenly turned absurdist...
May 25, 2015 2:19 AM

Dec 2010
My favorite episode. It alone improves my score with 1. Filicia's line was perfect.
MeritasMay 25, 2015 2:22 AM
Jun 19, 2015 7:35 PM

Apr 2014
Wow what a change of pace.
Heavy stuff, a little war background, and some light shed on the blond haired heroine that keeps showing up in everyones memories
I love their little platoon family

Nov 5, 2015 9:48 AM

Jul 2014
7 episodes in, and finally some characterization for the blonde chick.

2/5
Nov 14, 2015 3:23 AM

Apr 2009
It's starting to get interesting.
Feb 13, 2016 9:07 AM

Jul 2013
This was too edgy and corny, really bad backstory there to turn the episode 180 degrees. You would feel sympathy and a little character development here and there but I don't, I just don't because it's too forceful for my taste

This is like Haibane Renmei but much worse imo.
Jul 17, 2016 2:21 PM
Feb 2015
"Quelques chose comme Dupont" lmao

Feels good to be French, I love reading all the texts they put that japanese didn't understand when they saw the anime, that I can understand :)
Dec 1, 2016 11:57 PM

Mar 2015
Im not that impressed with Phylicia past.

Where is the SOL and Music?

3.2/5
Dec 5, 2016 5:05 AM

Jun 2013
I found this episode a little cheesy, but I still empathized with Philicia a tiny bit. At least she's not just an archetype now, she's an archetype with PTSD. And the moment where the three girls came to her was cute.

Spookt said:

Apparently, the people who are capable of operating and maintaining these big tanks can't even make amateur radio equipment. And so, the bugle is still consistently louder than the human voice. Makes sense to me! /s
LeeTailorDec 5, 2016 5:16 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

264 by SX6 »»
Jan 17, 11:28 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SFB - Mar 15, 2010

219 by antoninus_v »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.