How would you rate this series overall?
Mar 8, 2008 12:42 PM

Jan 2008
Spotlight Anime: Haibane Renmei

MAL Series Information Page: Haibane Renmei

MAL Score - 8.28 (by 2300 users)
Ranked - #91
Popularity #126

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this first discussion will turn out.

*Due to voting rule changes, this series is permanently inducted from its first poll data.

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE POLL"

Haibane Renmei was inducted into the club Anime list:
38 Yes - 92.68%
03 No - 7.32%

42 I haven't seen this anime - 50.06% of the total number polled
[/b]

Challenge You Decide results:

Haibane Renmei (Anime) (3/11/19)
- Yes: 30
- No: 8
- Haven't Watched: 12
~ Abstained: 4

- 78.95%
HiroM_Jan 20, 2020 9:30 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 8, 2008 1:22 PM

Jun 2007
First again I guess, however since I don't actually like writing reviews, Ill keep this simple.

Haibane get's a 10 form me, at first it'd be an 8 or 9, but after watching it multiple times I realize I couldn't not give it a 10.

the world itself is a very interesting interpretation of whata possible afterlife would be like, what it would really be like to gain wings, a halo, a society of people who don't know how or why they got here.

Animation is top notch, althoughit doesn't need to be since the show is a fairly slow existance, detailed and beautiful this show didn't cut back for it being slow.

Sound, sound is always hard to rate, but the music very much fits the show in whole, although outside of the show I probably couldn't listen too it often, a nice celtic/fantasy feel helped the shows better moments become even better.

Characters, probably the lowest part of the show, from the society we havewe havea basic apartment complex ran with more generic characters, the leader, the smart one, the pirky one,the sporty one, the motherly one, and our main one being undecisive and easily manipulated but thank thelord she didn't end up on the factory side of things. But nonehtless it allplays out well.

Story, like I said in my first paragraph, is very good,a slight mystery into why we're here and why we should try and leave, which of course leads to depressing moments over and over that are followed up with a decent ending to it all. (can't spoil)

My enjoyment easily reads as amazing, and I don't know why I don't own it yet......
Mar 8, 2008 2:48 PM
Nov 2007
Animation 10/10

Abe always delivers with his unique art style. It is like a fluid, moving, watercolor painting that truly breaths life into his characters.

Sound 10/10

Between the exception op/ed, Koh Ohtani's musical scores throughout the show, and overall impressive sound production, it is impossible to go wrong.

Characters 9/10

At first glance the main characters can seem somewhat one dimensional until they were fleshed out with more complex and at times confusing motivations. By the end I had some emotional stake in almost all of the characters which few series can accomplish.

Story 9/10

Though it takes a while for Haibane Renmei to hit its stride it truly paid off during the exciting climax in the final episode. Almost the entire first half of the series is spent just familiarizing you with the world while the rest is heavy on development and mystery. The series forces you to infer a lot into the nature of the Haibane and the world itself. Which for people who want all lose ends tied up and everything explained for them can be a little off putting. Though I find series that force you the reflect on them are just that much more engaging and enjoyable.

Enjoyment 10/10

It is rather difficult to explain how charming and enjoyable this series really is. So if what you read above sounds intriguing and enjoyable then this series is for you.

Overall 10/10

It was an emotional roller coaster and I enjoyed every second of it.
Mar 8, 2008 3:11 PM

Jul 2007
Haibane Renmei is one of my favorite anime series of all time, so this is going to be extremely biased. But I have good reasons, I swear!

Animation - 9

The most notable thing about the animation is the color scheme. I remember there being a lot of browns and greens in particular, and the muted tones really fit the tone of the series. In general, there's a bit of a hazy look that really impressed me.

Sound - 10

Oh man, I always forget what I think about the music. All I can really say is that I loved the soundtrack and I should buy the CD ASAP.

Characters - 10

Characters - I strongly disagree that the characters are generic, while they do fall under certain categories, they're very believable and likable, which I find more important than being completely unique a lot of the time. There's a neat website that explains how the characters could be taken to symbolize the seven deadly sins, and I must admit I'm a sucker for that kind of symbolism.

Story - 9

As I said in the last nomination thread, this is a series full of more questions than answers, and yet instead of being confusing it's a series that makes you think.

Enjoyment - 10

Beautiful, tragic, touching, emotional... everything I could ever want in an anime.

oh, these little earthquakes
Mar 8, 2008 5:27 PM

Jan 2008
Its actually been a long time since I have watched this series (still working on buying the DVDs but sadly only have volume two) so my memory of it is a little hazy and not that very accurate, so please bear with me.

Animation: 10

This probably my favorite part of the series. The art and animation is amazing and time proves that (its about four or five years old and it looks as beautiful as some of the more art heavy anime that have come out recently). Everything is so lush, I remember seeing the wind blowing in the fields and pausing it, it was just so outstanding.

Sound: 8

This is a part of the anime that isn't really coming back to me. There are a few tracks that I still listen to this day (the op and an great background song) but the others I am unsure of. I do remember it being very fitting to the scenes and usually soothing.

Characters: 8

I'm not a fan of the supporting cast but the two leads were very enjoyable. Rakka had a very nice design (she really was cute as a button) and something about her appearance screamed innocence, which made me feel for her but also made me enjoy going on the journey with her. Reki was the most intriguing of the characters and I loved the bond between her and Rakka.

Story: 10

What drives this story is our own naivete of the place we are thrown in to alongside Rakka. I needed to know more and more about this strange place, so I watched and watched. So, after a few episodes in I was completely immersed in the story. But, with such a creative concept, there is always room to go wrong. Fortunately, this anime's story doesn't disappoint all the way to the ending, which I felt wrapped up nicely.

Enjoyment: 9

Like I said before, it's been a while so I'm not sure how I really felt at the time. But, I do know that there were certain moments that I was generally bored during (particularly moments having to do with specific side characters that I did not care for). Of course this did not happen often, but I can not ignore it.

Overall: 9

It is a great anime that I'm looking forward to experiencing again (soon hopefully).
maxcherry715Mar 11, 2008 11:36 AM
Mar 8, 2008 5:41 PM

Jul 2007
Ah, this show... For a few years, I left it off my personal Top 25 list because I believed Haibane Renmei was not a simple anime; it was an experience, and thus could not be judged by the same standards I can judge other anime by. I stand by that even today, but for the sake of this thread, I will try to review this best I can ^_^

Animation: 9

A good show will feature sharp, unique visuals. A great show will feature visuals that set the atmosphere of the story. Haibane does both. With it's muted color scheme and delicate character designs, the fragility of the storyline and the characters shines gloriously. I don't think Haibane could be what it is without the art that embodied it.

Sound: 7

It's not that I don't like the sound, but most scores for me are incredibly forgettable. Haibane isn't an exception to this. The opening theme, "Free Bird", I did like quite a bit. On the other hand, I hate "Blue Flow". Just an absolute train wreck of an ending given the atmosphere.

Believable characters in anime are a rarity, and when they are found, they should be appreciated. Though everyone outside Rakka and Reki is left incredibly undeveloped, the two in question are thorougly expanded upon to the point that their painful lives become just as painful for the viewer who has to watch them suffer through their trials.

Story: 10

Like I said before, Haibane Renmei is not just a series; it is an experience. And like all experiences, Haibane isn't wrapped in a neat little package with a bow on top. The experience is thorough and immersing though. You learn everything there is to learn about the world Rakka is suddenly born into. At the same time, you gather a good understanding over why the world exists and what the Haibane are. If you need your anime to have a beginning, a middle, and an end, this isn't the show for you. It is however a unique mindtrip that, unlike most anime associated with mindtrip, won't leave you with a throbbing headache.

Enjoyment: 10

Most people think I'm joking when I call this show "the universal cure for emo", but I'm not. A fragile show in which emotions are everything, it can be the happiest or the saddest thing in the world at any given time, but the end result is so fulfilling and rewarding that you can't stay mad at this show even if you were originally. Everyone needs to watch this show one day. That's just all there is to it.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 8, 2008 6:12 PM

Jan 2007
hmm..I'll take a stab at this. It's gonna be a little tough since its been a really long time since I have watched this, but I'll do what I can with the current memory I have of it.

Really beautiful for its time. There are two main reasons why I liked the animation. First was the setting of the show. In a place like that, you are asking to be portayed in a visually pleasing manner. The second reason is like AnomalousOne mentioned, the color scheme. The colors really set the tone and atmosphere of the show.

Sound: 6

I'm not gonna lie, I don't remember any of the music in the show. However that means, I didn't find the music particularly memorably good, but not bad either so default score.

Characters: 7

I really wanted to liked the characters, however, other than Rakki and Reki, I didn't find the others too particularly interesting. Although I understand that with a short series, it's probably better to focus on the main characters than you to spread development out to everyone else.

Story: 8

Very intruiging concept. Definitely different from what I expected it to be like but turned out for the better. What I like about SoL series are that you tend to get more immersed into the world than you would be normally. Combine that with the uniqueness and mystery of the situation in that world, a good story can't help but arise from it.

Enjoyment: 8

In the end, I had a great experience with this show. Definitely worthy of watching again and re-evaluating if I ever get the time. And I think it is worthy of being part of the club relations.
Faust721Mar 8, 2008 6:33 PM
Mar 8, 2008 9:23 PM

Jan 2008
I'll take a stab at this, and for most of the posters above me it will be a stab.

Animation - 9
As many of the previous posters have already stated, this series has absolutely beautiful artwork. From the detailed backgrounds, to the low toned colors, to the general hazy look, all of these things work to perfectly convey the atmosphere of the series. The only reason why this was not given a 10 is because I felt that the content of the show itself never really allowed us to see what the animation team would have been capable of had they been pushed to animate a difficult scene.

Sound - 7
While I could not name any of the individual tracks for this series I do recall that they all did a good job contributing to the atmosphere that the animation team was trying to maintain throughout the series. This would usually net a rating of 8 from me, however like splitter already mentioned, that ending track was absolutely atrocious.

Characters - 7
Some of you have mentioned that the supporting cast seems pretty stock and to be honest I felt the same way too and for me that is a usually a rating killer. However, in series as short as this I tend to let some of my usual rules slide as long as the main characters are exceptionally well developed to compensate for it. And I have to say they did a fantastic job developing Rakka and Reki. The were a lot of fun to watch as they played off each other and grew throughout the series. However, as bafflingly as it may seem, for some reason I was just never able to get attached to either of them which for this kind of story is pretty much a necessity for overall series enjoyment.

Story - 6
As someone stated previously, this is a series that asks more questions than it answers and in general I have absolutely no problem with that concept. But, for this series I felt like it asked a lot of questions and answered almost none.

When I come across this general pattern in almost any form of media the "critic" half of me starts screaming at the other half to get down from the high dive because the water isn't as deep as it looks. And I am that I decided to listed to that voice inside my head, because by around episode 11 when I realized that so many of these questions were going to go unanswered I was throughly disappointed. While most people interpret this storytelling pattern as something that makes a story intriguing, mysterious, or philosophical; I see it as nothing more than a cheap gimmick.

Again I want to reiterate that I do NOT mind a show that asks a lot of questions. I only ask that the writers attempt to answer some of them in the process; because even a child can ask seeming deep questions and that's not enough to impress me.

The only reason why this score wasn't lowered any further is simply because despite everything that I did not like about the story, I really enjoyed the relationship and backgrounds of Rakka and Reki which kept me watching attentively until the end.

Enjoyment - 7
This is a nice change of pace and break from an anime market that is overflowing with too many action, harem, and fanservice/moe shows. Despite the fact that I was largely unimpressed with the show as a whole, I'll still give it a 7.

Mar 8, 2008 9:37 PM

Sep 2007
I don't write reviews for a reason but...here's a shot:

I quite liked the art for this show. It was nothing too bright or eye-glaring but someone mentioned earlier how the colors were just nice and simple with the low tones. Perfect for the setting of the whole show.

Can't give it a high score because honestly, I didn't recall any tracks off the top of my head. I didn't even enjoy the OP and the ED that much either.

I loved the main characters, Rakka and Reki, and the relationship between the two. You can really see it blossom from when Rakka is born to the very end. I wish the other characters had gotten more spotlight though because then Kuu's departure might've had a bigger impact on me than it really did.

Story: 7

Call me stupid or slow but I just could not fully comprehend the entire story. It might've been because I didn't marathon this but instead watched the episodes slowly one by one and probably forgot a lot of important concepts. But in the end, I was left with a slightly confused mindset. I should probably rewatch this again sometime.

Enjoyment: 9

I remember being bored a couple times but not too often. I did enjoy this show a lot despite not totally understanding what was going on because Reki and Rakka's relationship was quite interesting to watch. I also enjoyed the entire issue revolving around a Haibane's true name and the dreams they had while in the cocoon.

Overall: 8
Mar 9, 2008 6:29 AM
May 2007
My first review:

I really liked how the characters where drawn, the color. and the art overall. When you watched the show you got a feeling, that the serie wasnt an anime except it feelt more like a normal show. I belive that because of how they colored you got a speciall feeling.

The sound was okay, the sound they used for certain parts didnt match so good with that sceen. and I did not like the OP or ED either.

Its hard to explain why I liked the characters but I think alot of it depends on, is that when a new character showed up you pretty fast got a feeling about that person, and you can almost gues who he/she is and etc. (In other words the new characters showed upp at the right time in the right place)

Story: 6

Okay at the beginning I thought this where a serie with a good story, but after a while I totaly got lost, about what they where doing and what the story was focusing on at that time.

Enjoyment: 5

short and simple, All I can say is that this wasnt my kind of anime.
I got boored alot and at certain places i feelt like "When is it over?" and i think that says it all.

Overall: 6.8
Mar 9, 2008 9:00 AM

Oct 2006
Well, considering I've seen the show quite some time ago this it's gonna be somewhat tough to write an accurate review. It's gonna a be a sort of "from what I recall review". So my appologies if I overlook some facts etc.

Extremelly good for a 2002 show. I remmeber the well detailed backgrounds and characters. The beautiful art style and the smooth pastel colors that the mood of the show like a glove. However I can't give it a perfect score. Due to the slow pace of the show the animation never had an oportunity to have a trully breathtaking moment, or be pushed to limits that could have made it totally outstanding.

I have absolutely not recollection of the show's musical themes. Considering how I love music and normally get a lot of OST's from anime series (independently of it's genre), this means the music composition was forgetable. From what I recall, the voice acting interpretation/performance was good, but since again I don't recall nothing overwhelming. The score stays at a 6 (fine).

Character: 7
The cast, with exception to Rakka & Reki was forgettable. The short length of the show somewhat serves as attonement but I was still disapointed at every other character.
Rakka and Reki however both managed to be interesting characters to follow. Their personalities had a sense of realism to them. Both in the way they interact and also in the way they try to hide the truth from even themselves. They are not really unique characters but they somehow managed to escape the normal steriotypes and all this made them rise above the average.

Slow paced, but never boring. While it relied a lot in the drama aspect, in my view it never really exceled in it. It never hit the right nerve, so I could see as more than a mere outsider and actually connect with the drama.
Like it was mentioned before, I also think the story brought forward many questions and answered only a tiny persentage of those. But truth be told, answering to some of those questions would imply the view of the author, which wouldn't necessarily be equal to that of the viewers. Instead the show makes you reflect on them while watching and that slightly makes up for the lack of satisfaction if you don't get your answers.

Enjoyment: 7
At least in my case, enjoyment will be greatly affected by the mood I'm in, while watching the show. At the time I remember I wanted a break from all the action shows I had been watching and was looking for a more slow paced fantasy. The show delivered, and dispite the fact that the pace was a little to slow than what I was expecting I was never bored. In the end it gave me a solid enjoyment.
Mar 9, 2008 3:36 PM

Sep 2007
It has been quite a while since I've seen this series, but I'm about to leave for spring break so I won't really have time to revisit it soon.

Animation: 8
I remember really liking the style and design of the show and I think it was on a different level than your typical show at the time. Almost to the point where I'd consider a 9 except I have it in my head that towards the end of the show there were lapses in the animation where the detail level dropped significantly almost like the show ran out of budget and subcontracted an episode to a different studio. Maybe it is just my faulty memory, but either way I think I'll set my standard in this category high

I think the soundtrack fit the show pretty well considering the type of series it is and the pace it kept. Despite this, there wasn't anything that really left an impression on me so I can't give it higher than this

Character: 7
The show did a pretty good job developing most of the characters. Some got more time than others but that is to be expected and to me, encouraged. There are usually a few characters in any series that I truly couldn't care less about and don't feel like hearing their whole life story. On the other hand, none of the characters in Haibane Renmei really appealed to me.

It was pretty slow paced, but not so much that I lost too much interest. Even so, I never really felt motivated to watch multiple episodes in one sitting because I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. But as far as slice of life goes, Haibane did a great job of adding a unique hook with the fantasy element rather than being another typical school sol.

Enjoyment: 7
This sort of anime isn't really my kinda thing, but similar to Kayrhandros, I generally can enjoy most any type of anime given I'm in the mood for it. For slower paced shows it usually helps to have a character I like or identify with and this show didn't give me that. Despite this, I never really lost interest in the series. If a show can keep me from losing interest even without giving me a character to anchor myself to, then I consider it quality material. If any of the characters had appealed to me then I would probably give the show a 9, but as mentioned before, it didn't. I would say that overall, this is a show that will be loved by some people, and probably a "decent" watch for most others.

Overall: 8
BlackMagicSep 16, 2008 1:31 PM
Mar 9, 2008 9:46 PM

Sep 2007
I'll copypasta the review I wrote some time ago for MAL.

Haibane Renmei - Overall 10/10

Some time ago, probably around 2003, I heard about this show called Serial Experiments Lain. Now, at this time, I was only vaguely into anime, and starting my first year at university. Eventually I got it, and watched it, and was amazed that an animated feature could impact me so much. These days, SEL isn't so much a favourite of mine anymore, but the legacy of its creator, Yoshitoshi ABe, passed on to another feature that we call Haibane Renmei; a show that definitely is a favourite of mine to this day.

Story - 8/10

Haibane Renmei (lit. Ash feather federation), starts off in "Old Home," a small, peaceful village full of enthusiastic youths. The story focuses on a group of five "Haibane," which are girls with tiny wings on their back, and halos floating above them. The five eventually become six as a new girl, Rakka, is "born" into their world. From there, Haibane Renmei follows the trials and tribulations of these girls until its stunning climax in episode 13.

Art 10/10

I can't really say enough about Yoshitoshi ABe's watercolour style. Haibane Renmei was adapted from an original doujinshi, almost unheard of for something of this caliber. His artistic style really transfers well to television; animation studio Radix does a superb job making Rakka and Co. come to life.

Sound 10/10

Haibane Renmei's music is initially highlighted by the appealing opening song and ending songs, but is really made by the stuff in-between. Koh Ohtani (Shakugan no Shana, Shadow of the Collossus) brings his A-game as per usual, really reflecting what it's like to be a Haibane. Also, the sound production itself remains solid to compliment Ohtani's musical score.

Character 8/10

Rakka comes across as a generally lovable lead, followed closely by her faithful supervisor Reki. Most of the girls get varying amounts of screentime beyond that. The only negative here is that not every character is developed enough, but minor and overlooked quite often because of the main two girls.

Enjoyment 9/10

Haibane Renmei definitely starts off slow, but it's a good slow! The characters will marvel you, the majestic scenery will move you, the dark undertones will haunt you, and the ending will spellbind you. If you're an anime enthusiast who isn't completely shallow, you owe it to yourself to at least check this title out.
Mar 10, 2008 1:13 AM

Feb 2008
Animation: 8/10

Although the characters may seem to be not detailed enough , the animation certainly has something to it. The colouring is simply enchanting. It's done in a very unique style - the hue is very light, but it doesn't look blur. The animation is extremely parallel to the story line. I can't give it a higher rating because it does lack a little minuteness, not in the design of characters, but in landscapes and some minor peaces of the scenery, like walls, books etc.

Sound: 7/10

Since the series isn't an action flick, there isn't much to talk about the sound. The opening theme is nice, the ending theme is nicer... That's basicaly it. The music score throuoghout the series didn't really catch my ear, that's why the sound rating has to be lower.

Characters: 7/10

Plain. Most of them are very alike (excluding the main characters). Especially the inhabitants of the Old Home. That would be the first impression. However when get to know them a little better, that impression changes (a little). Rakka and Reki definitely
stand out. We can see haw much they evolve throughout the series, showing their personalities little by little.

Story: 9/10

The story is very fable-like. The world the Haibane are born to is similar to the regular world. The story develops slowly, what may botter some viewers, but it can't be considered a flaw. The storyline is just like the life in the little town covered by walls - very calm. Naturally the life of a Haibane isn't all sunshine and butterflies. There are many obstacles in the way that make it difficult. Just like real life... That makes the storyline very interesting to watch.

Enjoyment: 8/10

It's definitely not an easy to watch anime and it might seem boring at first but once you give it a try you'll realize that the smoothness of the storyline is what acctually makes the series interesting. After completing the series you'll fell as light as a Haibane's feather.
Mar 10, 2008 2:23 PM

Nov 2007
Animation -10 I'm a huge sucker for ABe art, and I think the animators did a great job translating it into anime form.

Sound - 10 This is actually one of my favorite soundtracks. It's certainly not the most exciting music out there, but it does an excellent job of capturing the mood of the series.

Characters - 8 I'll actually agree with some of the complaints above, as the only truly compelling characters were Rakka and Reki.

Story - 8 It's a simple story, but an emotionally compelling one. Also reminds me a lot of part of a Murakami novel, and reminding me of books I like is a huge plus. (Hardboiled Wonderland: read it if you haven't)

Enjoyment - 9 Easily in my top 10%, which is quite an accomplishment considering I've completed over 400 anime.
Mar 10, 2008 2:50 PM

Apr 2007
Animation - 9
Animation quality was top knotch as expected from the studio. All backgrounds and characters were developed in full and suffered from virtually no recycled scenes.

Sound - 8
Soundwork was outstanding if not a bit calm, but such is expected. The soundtrack itself was very mellow but fitting and touching.

Characters - 8
Characters aren't really anything special in terms of originality. Their situations and placement are okay, but beneath it all you're left with the traditional generic characters found in every other series.

Story - 6
Many will say that the series causes you to think, but it is this critic's opinion that it just fails to give you answers. Evangelion will cause a viewer to think. Haibane will simply cause you to fall asleep as you look at a world that, in all honesty, just isn't all that intriguing. A nice premise, but not really followed through enough to be completely enjoyed.

Enjoyment - 6
Overall, the series is presented beautifully in both appearance and sound, but the generic characters and the story comes off as a bit too slow and uneventful. Even when compared to Someday's Dreamers, Haibane Renmei comes off as droning and really struggles to hold your focus. For a peaceful viewing on a slow Sunday morning, Haibane Renmei may be a select choice. Other than that, it would suffice as a rental.
Mar 10, 2008 3:36 PM
Mar 2008
Animation - 10

The animation was beautiful, as expected from Abe. It's earthy colors set a very warm mood. The backgrounds simply stunning. I don't think I could ever say enough about the artwork of this series. It was like a water-color painting come to life.

Sound - 7

I don't really remember much about the music aside from the opening and ending songs. The opening song was simply beautiful. It was very fitting. I however didn't care for the ending song very much. Although, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a train wreck, as other's have stated before. In my opinion, the beginning of the ending song was the wreck. It got better. I enjoyed the last half of the song. Unfortunately, I can't say much about the music between the op and end, as I don't remember much of it.

Characters - 8

Some people have said that the characters seem very generic. I have to say that that was the impression I got at first too. Though, as the series progresses, some of the characters did stand out from that stereotype. They did a spectacular job on Rakka and Reki, they almost make up for the underdevelopment of the others. However, it's a shame that not all of the other characters were as well developed as they could have been. Some had very distinct and memorable personalities, others weren't developed enough that they broke out of their generic image. Although, due to the length of the series, I think they did do a fairly decent job.

Story - 8

The story was slow to develop, which probably bothered a lot of people. However, I think that each episode gave us a little insight and depth into their world. It was a very subtle way of becoming familiarized with the Haibane and those around them. This series can be simple, or it can be complex. I probably had looked too far into this series, so I developed a lot more questions than I had answers, as many others have stated. It is a bit annoying that I'll probably never have all my questions answered; however, I think it's the nature of this series to keep the watcher thinking about the story and its possibilities. However, I think if I were to watch it simply skimming the surface, the development of Reki and Rakka and their interactions and emotions is enough to make the story enjoyable.

Enjoyment - 8

It was very enjoyable and beautiful with several characters that I fell for (and though some just didn't stick, I certainly couldn't hate them.) If the story wasn't worth the watch, then the art more than makes up for it. It's a definite re-watch for me.
Mar 10, 2008 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
I give this a solid 9.

Animation - 9

The animation is very well done. It is not stellar, but it is simple, quiet, calm and attracting. It's very "natural" and caracteristic of the universe into which the viewer is drown. The character designs are especially beautiful, the backgrounds are very detailed, and the animators aren't afraid to redraw some things to make the animation more fluid ; I felt that the in-between was very precise and refined.

Sound - 7

Musically talking, the series isn't to be remembered, because the simple melodies simply fitted the moment they were played, not more, not less. Especially the opening song was very beautiful and poetic, it gives the viewer a very precise idea of what he's going to watch and does it well, as it immediately envelops him with a sort of warm blanket.

Characters - 8

Yes, I also got the impression that the characters were nothing special at first sight. But thankfully, the whole first half of the series develops them pretty well : it is entirely dedicated to Rakka and her interaction with this new world, but via this, we also get to see how the other characters live, what is their job, what is their personality, why is this their personality, what is their philosophy about their life, what is their culture. Some characters are way more developed than others, granted, but I honestly think that with the 13-episodes format, they couldn't do more, and they did what they had to do. It's with this kind of series that I regret that the 3/4-season format (18 épisodes) doesn't exist : it would fit the series so well. All the characters would have been developed at full potential and at the same time, it would not feel dragged on. But oh well.

Story - 9

I really liked how the stories is revealed as very mysterious and at each episode, while presenting the culture of the characters, manages to dwell further into the gears of the world. Is it a paradise or a scouring land ? Some of the answers never really come, but the series gives the viewer just enough information to make himself an idea of this world. And I personally think that it is far better than a series where everything is explained from A to Z : it is a sign of intelligence and ultimately of quality that a series manages to make the viewer participate, to make him think about what he's seeing and to make him draw conclusions with was he's seeing and what he's experienced. T
The other part of the story is the development of Reki : I think almost anybody would agree that it was simply perfectly developed. Everything was here : a story that makes sense, that is based on strong and realistic human emotions, epic emotionnaly-charged moments..

Enjoyment - 9

I heard someone say that this is the sort of anime you have to watch at x2 speed. Well, of course, the story is warm and slow, but this is actually how it is meant to be enjoyed : it's the sort of series to watch near a chimney while it's freezing outside. It has very realistic and human characters, warm and paradoxally refreshing moments and a sad, stunning storyline. A must-watch.
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Mar 11, 2008 1:12 AM
Aug 2007
Animation - 8

From a technical perspective, one could easily and accurately label the animation as mediocre, as the detail of the character designs and the cel animation is generally low, and there are many shortcuts used to avoid too much motion on screen (such as unkoving jaws and unrealistically empty town scenes). When there is motion the animation is sufficient to carry the scene, but from time to time the consistency wavers and the characters appear a little distorted or simplified enough to be a distraction. On the whole, the animation gets the job down with little or no technical excellence. The creative side of the artistry redeems the visual production, with distinct and attractive character designs courtesy of the show’s writer/director and well-loved artist Yoshitoshi Abe, as well as gorgeous background artwork which lend the show a unique visual style - a warm and inviting hue of soft greens and browns.

Sound - 8

The work on the score music, as well as the instrumental OP was composed and arranged by Kou Otani, who, most recently, did the score for Shakugan no Shana. Her music here is completely synthetic yet engaging and fitting for the series. It’s almost a shame the score couldn’t have been performed with an orchestra, because many of the compositions are very memorable and striking yet don’t make such good listening in their own right. The OP is particularly good, one of my favourites because of its warm, inviting sound (and because I love anything that deviants from the typical jpop routine).

Character - 10

The definite highlight of the series is its characterisation, which should leave even the most cynical of an audience truly attached to at least half the cast. Each character is developed with depth and a sense and have their own profound emotional plight. The reason the series succeeds so greatly in this field when so many other anime fall apart is because the characters and their stories feel more genuine somehow - their stories aren’t slapped around shamelessly with melodrama, but with a dark sense of realism and honesty that makes them easy to connect and empathise with.

Story - 9

The story is something I see people in contention over. Many people look for complexity or depth and completeness in a story, and Haibane Renmei can’t really be said to have either of these things. I mean, excluding the characters’ personal stories, there is no overall plot; the setting is shrouded in a hazy mystery and event-based plot progression is almost inexistent. It’s basically just a premise and the characters just take it from there. However, Haibane Renmei, befitting of its atmosphere, revels in subtlety and is doused in metaphor and symbology. Although not much may happen directly, there is a real sense of depth and a resounding beauty to the way the story is told, which is almost unique to anime. Taking full use of the visual medium, Haibane Renmei is one of those few anime that have a lot to say without saying much at all.

Enjoyment - 10

Why I enjoyed the series is pretty much encapsulated in my descriptions of each aspect. The rating is higher than the average of these scores, but then, the whole is most definitely greater than the sum of its parts. I loved the series so much because it fascinated me, gripped me, and all the while upheld a languid, melancholic storytelling mode that well and truly defies anime cliché and tradition. ABe lovingly crafted a story that is profound visually and in terms of the way its written. Above all, where so many anime seem processed mechanically for a particular audience, Haibane Renmei feels genuine and earnest. I wish Abe would do another series.
Mar 11, 2008 10:49 AM

May 2007
So... I just finished watching the show. I should preface by saying that I didn't know about it before it was nominated here and, despite liking some slice of lifes, I don't think I would have chosen to watch it if it weren't for this club based on the synopsis or the reviews. I also admit that I probably haven't really fully digested it yet and I'm just kind of shooting from the hip here.

I'm going to skip part of the review -- there seems to be a general sort of consensus about the art and the sound that I don't disagree with.

Personally, I thought it "good" in that category where I have to acknowledge that it's better and more interesting than the normal run of the mill animes but was missing that oomph to make it exceptional. In other words, a low 8. (And I'm still internally debating whether I think it's a low 8 or a high 7.)

Story: I get what they were trying to get at (or at least I think I do, but who actually knows, I guess?) but I just wasn't impressed. My interpretation was that this enclosed world was a sort of purgatory -- a limbo where a person gets a limited opportunity to "complete/fix" themselves before moving on. I personally felt that they were a little needlessly mysterious -- I didn't really think that some of the mysteries added particularly to the story and were done just for the sake of being mysterious. I think that would have been time better spent filling in some more details of the actual meat of the story. I understand that they were unanswered mysteries to the characters as well, and it was most likely intended to place the viewer in a similar situation to the characters but I think it could have been done with more... discretion.

I don't mind connecting the dots myself (in fact, I appreciate shows that expect me to do so) but I feel like here they left it to me to make a bunch of my own dots to complete their picture while they waste time throwing in extra dots just to obscure it. In a way, I kind of think that this would have made a better movie than a tv series... it would be a lot to fit into 2 hours, but I think they would have ended up with a crisper story that way.

Character: I also thought that Rakka was the only character that they actually spent any time filling in. Reki got more screen time than the other four, so I think there's a vague feeling that there was a lot of depth there -- but I don't know if I think that's actually the case. A lot of the "development" that Reki's character had in the second half of the show was Reki telling us that was how she felt after the fact instead of really showing it, which I don't really consider successful. And I think that's the shame of the show because Reki's character had so much potential.

Enjoyment: Overall, the show left me pretty flat. I think part of my disappointment is probably because of my own expectations after seeing it nominated here as the first anime. While I thought the subject matter could have been so interesting and the art really was beautiful, I thought the actual storytelling was a little sloppy.

THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED
8GaugeBrettMar 15, 2008 12:06 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.