Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 8, 2008 3:38 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
You'd figured a story where one of the main character's objective is to destroy the world would have a happy ending? Heh, well this is as happy as it can get. The scene where Aionios was holding Jennifer gave me quite a laugh. Maybe I'm just thinking too much, but I was always curious about Jennifer's profession. Why was she given the task to research on this ED topic and the mass extinction cause/effects? What was her purpose other than to advise the characters throughout the series? What will she do with the crystals now? So many questions...

Overall, I thought the series had a good theme. The way they tied in love stories to hide the truth that the task at hand was really the world annihilation. For a short series, I thought they focused on progressing the plot fairly well. The fact that the opening theme was sung by the same artist who sung the opening theme for Neon Genesis Evangelion lit me up :)

Jul 24, 2008 7:13 AM

Jan 2008
i wasnt satisfied with the ending tho..
I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
Jul 27, 2008 3:21 AM

Mar 2008
i like this, yet i hate it, ohh man, i really hate series that is like a sad yet happy ending, yet i want to watch it, ohh man....ohhhhh,,, so maybe that's one of the reasons why it was named this ugly YET beautiful world,,,, well for me i guess
Aug 30, 2008 8:11 PM
Jul 2008
I hate how the ending credits didn't get like some small instrumental. At least have music with the credits.

Anyway I really loved this series for a short series. They DID leave stuff open like Jennifer's intentions with the crystals and why she didn't show the rest of the group. However I feel they ended the series quite nicely and this left me rather satisfied.
Sep 10, 2008 12:03 PM

Sep 2008
I wasn't really satisfied with the ending either because u were really unsure about what became of the characters after the series ended. They had a little scene where it shows Hakari saying goodbye to Takeru with their baby. But other than that you were really unsure with what happened to them.
Sep 10, 2008 4:37 PM

Sep 2008
So did Hykari and Arikai really come back within the lifetime of Takeru? Or was she "the star that he could never reach"?
Nov 12, 2008 5:07 PM

Jun 2008
The ending was disappointing in my opinion, and left many plot holes. Then again, this anime was pretty confusing in the first place.

6/10 for me.
Nov 27, 2008 12:59 PM

Nov 2008
arbydan said:
So did Hykari and Arikai really come back within the lifetime of Takeru? Or was she "the star that he could never reach"?

Don't try to read between the lines with this anime because all the "metaphors" and "symbolism" were just cheap clicheed gimmicks that were used for this excuse of a show. What a waste of airtime!
Dec 14, 2008 10:13 PM

May 2007
I hated Jennifer, and the story was good but the side characters weren't, all in all a 7/10, I kind of like the end too.
My anime list
Dec 15, 2008 5:46 AM

Jul 2008
I didn't like how they basically showed Takeru and Hikari the life they could have had, then had Hikari leave, pretty much wiping away any hopes of that happening
Jan 14, 2009 6:56 PM

Aug 2008
Tatsuya_Saiga said:
I didn't like how they basically showed Takeru and Hikari the life they could have had, then had Hikari leave, pretty much wiping away any hopes of that happening

Yea i thought that was pretty harsh.

But all in all, it was pretty good.... even though i really didnt like the ending.

Has anyone read all the manga for this series? Hopefully it ends a bit better.
Jan 16, 2009 6:19 AM

Oct 2008
arbydan said:

i agree. But on the other side the story is so unique. They could have made it better. This type of happy end is not fit with the story imo. The main problem is in its lenght. I would made it ~ 24 episodes, and showed how was the earth collapsed many times before.

10/6.5
Mar 15, 2009 12:20 AM

May 2008
TipsyTwist said:
arbydan said:

i agree. But on the other side the story is so unique. They could have made it better. This type of happy end is not fit with the story imo. The main problem is in its lenght. I would made it ~ 24 episodes, and showed how was the earth collapsed many times before.

10/6.5

Perhaps they were leaving the conclusion of the story open-ended with unresolved mysteries, in case there was enough popular interest in the series to merit continued production on a sequel? Afterall, it wouldn't be the first time that production on a series that seemed to have ended suddenly starts production again 5+ years later, ie Angel Heart, etc... or perhaps even a remake from 12 episodes to 24 episodes like Kanon - Kanon 2006?
Mar 15, 2009 2:29 PM
Mar 2008
I liked the soundtrack of this anime but meh, the plot sucked, characters were mere idiotic cliches, dialogues weren't much deeper than "Oh, damn! I've seen you!" "Let's all eat an ice cream", and when they said something that sounded serious it didn't really make much sence. I'm prety much disappointed with the serie AND I had a hard time trying to finish watching it, despite it being a 12 episode one.
4/10
May 8, 2009 1:05 PM

Oct 2008
I enjoyed this despite after watching the 1st episode for the first time that i wouldn't like it. I would like to see maybe a one off ep about their future, find parents and more. It also would have been nicer if it had a longer length.
May 12, 2009 11:26 PM

May 2009
misaseh098 said:
i like this, yet i hate it, ohh man, i really hate series that is like a sad yet happy ending, yet i want to watch it, ohh man....ohhhhh,,, so maybe that's one of the reasons why it was named this ugly YET beautiful world,,,, well for me i guess
I feel the same way, maybe because I didn't really understand half of it. The ending was pretty unsatisfying, it seems like they left it open for another season then dropped it. with the little crystals from kuan and the other dude, or they just didn't have time to tie everything off with only 12 episodes.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jun 4, 2009 4:26 AM

Apr 2009
I thought it ended a bit similar to Fate/stay night. Isn't everything over? That's one thing you know for sure. I gave it 8/10 so I'll give it 4/5.

I love the opening maybe that's why I rated it 8/10 .. ah well
Jun 4, 2009 3:47 PM

Feb 2008
The Ugly and Beautiful Butterfly thingy in the end was a nice Idea.
Overall liked this series. Story wasn't all the time that great but it was okay. Animation was top though.

8/10
Nov 8, 2009 11:08 PM

Jun 2009
Well, this show had its fair share of flaws, but i'll give it a 6/10. Ending is, not horrible in my opinion. Honestly, japanese anime endings are all like this save very few exceptions, gotta get used to their shitty way of ending things, has to be a cultural thing. Overall this anime was executed poorly but "could've" been awesome. The story seemed crude and random in many aspects. Characters weren't really that notable. Nothing really made me feel any real deep emotion, stuff was just happening most of the time. -- it was average, it wasn't garbage, nor anything amazing either. Seemed like a weak combination of Eureka Seven + Elfen Lied.
brinanNov 8, 2009 11:15 PM
Feb 21, 2010 9:50 PM

Feb 2010
Quite the interesting little story here. I loved it, I would have loved it even more if it had been extended to a full 24 ep and explained / showed of Takaru's and Ryou's powers more. The scene of what could have been between Hikari and Takaru was pretty close to heart breaking. Despite its flaws it is still a good watch. 8/10
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Jul 3, 2010 1:23 PM

Mar 2010
I expected more but i am satisfied to say the least, Love the lyrics to the ending song " Dont search for words; Believe in yourself"
RascoJul 3, 2010 1:27 PM

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 27, 2010 12:08 AM

Apr 2010
nooo it's a romantic bitter-sweet ending :''''''(
now im going to be depressed for a while (SAD FACE)
Oct 7, 2010 1:46 AM

Jan 2010
i loved the ending it brought me to tears.

can anyone pleaze seed this anime a little more. yes i own this anime i bought the complete collection. but i am making an amv and would like to add a couple scenes from
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. i have the anime empire & anime keep torrent and im sitting at 72%
Jan 16, 2011 12:37 AM

Jul 2010
to me, there wasnt enough attachement to this anime to make me sad, only thing im sad about is the fact that it didnt end in a happy ending kind of way. though the "happy ending" is very cliche, they've been doing these sad/open endings so much that now the "clicheness" (yes i made a new word) has been switched.
also, it is very hard to love somthing when u've been abandoned like that, if they used that concept more better, this anime would have wayy better and more emotional for the viewers.
7/10

Mar 30, 2011 2:41 AM

Jan 2008
As for the ending, I think it was okay. I'm just glad they didn't stay on Earth to live happily as humans. And I liked the part where Akari refused to kiss Ryou, because being family definitely suits them better (but why did he even try? Ugh, nevermind).

The show...well, more than half of it consisted of filler episodes (and very uncreative ones at that) with barely any plot progression. Most of the characters were cliché, there were plot holes all over the place. The music was okay, the animation wasn't all too good. All in all, everything about it was rather forgettable.

This is definitely not worth more than 5/10 to my mind.

Aug 3, 2011 4:39 AM
Aug 2011
I fell in love with this series and now my heart is broken it had to end so abruptly. Yeah the ending wasn't happy but it really wasn't the sort of happy I was hoping for as I came closer to the final episode.

I give it a 8/10.

I loved most of the characters (Hikari and Takeru mostly). Such a disappointment and I really hope that some day there will be a nice continuation of the series and touch on the future of Takeru and Hikari.
Aug 10, 2011 5:55 PM
Aug 2011
on netflix it says there are 24 episodes? is there only 12 or what im lost
Sep 2, 2011 11:42 PM
Sep 2011
Awesome show! I'd give it a 9/10. Awesome animations! Amazing music! I don't care what all these haters say. I actually understood what they meant with the whole people's emotions being like ice cream, not really what I'd compare it to but hey it works and its different. There was a bit of useless nudity to it where if there wasn't, other TV networks might of been more accepting to air it other than ADV. Ending was great! Happy yet sad.. With an EPIC cliff-hanger which we may never see a solution to. If I had any where near the amount of money needed to, I would fund a second season.. At least!! make a 13th episode.. I've read a fanfiction that someone thought up of a further ending but idk, maybe instead of Hikari and Akari returning; the bright light changes somehow and Takeru has a weird feeling about it and "evolves" or something crazy and goes to look for Hikari. If done right haha but thats just my crazy mind thinking. I WANT A SECOND SEASON so badly!!!!!
Sep 23, 2011 2:29 PM
Sep 2011
I really enjoyed this anime. I'll admit that I don't watch anime much so if people felt this was a bit cliche that wouldn't be as obvious to me. But this is the first anime I've seen that I truly enjoyed in a long time. I was disappointed that Hikari left. I suppose given that she's supposed to destroy the world and he's supposed to stop her, this is about as good as it can be but I do still wish that now and then a happier ending can be found for characters. I'd like to personally believe that Hikari does come back for Takeru, and they find some semblance of happiness together, but what would make me really happy is if an OVA was ever made showing her and Akari returning. (Although this is basically dreaming; I don't see them revisiting this series ever, especially since it's now 7 years old).

To the person asking about the manga, the story has the same basic plot elements but is more or less a completely different story, especially beyond the first volume. It is worth a read I think, if you haven't read it. The ending is also very disappointing (is it ever possible for these two to be happy?) but still a very beautiful story overall. I'm sad that both the anime and the manga were so short, but like one of the reviewers said.....absolute gem.
Jan 4, 2012 4:13 AM

Sep 2009
Well, that was pretty terrible. Not just the end but the whole anime as a whole. I wonder now why it was even on my list of ones to watch. Probably as a "you liked Elfen Lied...try this" one.

To be honest I'm shocked at how little I cared for any of the characters. I usually cry at one point in almost every anime I watch (I don't know why, I just do - unless it's a comedy generally, anything bittersweet or just plain cute or sad and I'm off) but this one, not once. I just did not care at all. Chuck in the mid 90s animation style, the cliched characters and situations (seriously...going camping in the mountains AND the beach is bad enough but then go chuck in a obon festival too - I was surprised not to see a school festival after that) and you get many of the standard crap events that we get put through watching some of this stuff. Then we get onto the pointless fanservice. I like a bit of ecchi but seriously, it just left you asking what it was for. Something to attract people to their crap show? Most likely.

Overall, I'm more annoyed I watched this than anything else. I'll give it a 5 just because I liked the whole Mass Extinction thing (I'm a geologist, so its kinda within keeping - even if it's as far fetched as a creation story).

Now you have watched it, I bet you wish you hadn't. Wish I also dropped series that i've started. Oh well, least it was short
Apr 12, 2012 5:27 AM
Jul 2007
I give this a 3/5. . . I don't know why but, I felt like I was watching Neon Genesis again.
May 10, 2012 2:54 AM
Jan 2010
The best thing about this aniime was the OP/ED..
4/10.
Mar 28, 2014 1:06 PM

Nov 2008
Not happy with this.
Jul 3, 2014 4:37 AM

Apr 2013
Cheap drama. Cheap humour. Shallow plot. Shallow characters. Forced developments. Poor anime. Much meh.
Jul 11, 2014 5:32 PM

Dec 2013
I'm not gonna join the haters in trying to bash this series as being horrible/terrible/whatever, but really? That ending, that was such crap!

Ok, so the build up into this final episode was good once the plot really kicked in, and this episode wasn't that bad until that ending.

He finally gets through to the "goddess of destruction" Hikari, they make up and decide to save the world from the big monster that Ionius says can only be stopped with brute force. So what happens, Akari uses Kuon and they one shot the thing and disappear off into space. I could have lived with this if not for what came next...

You get this whole "what could have been" life for Takeru and Hikari, you see the way this really should have ended. The whole lived happily ever after would have fit this one perfectly considering the title and prevalent themes. Instead Hikari and Akari go off into space and send Takeru home alone with a promise to return one day, even tells him to keep his eyes on her until that day. Then what do we get, random scenes with Takeru working on his bike, the annoying side characters doing annoying things, and Ryou and Kimi go to look for their parents by taking a walk through town. Oh, and Jennifer is still living with Takeru for some reason while holding onto those crystals. How does this make any sense as an ending?

My final score on this one: 5/10

The opening/ending were both easily forgettable, and the songs were kind of annoying.

Other than Takeru, Hikari, Akari, and Ryou the rest of the cast were all annoyingly stupid without any progression. Mari and Kimi were especially retarded, Kimi was a grade schooler so I can almost let her slide, but Mari was older and still acted like the grade schooler. Actually, in some places Kimi acted more mature than Mari. All in all the cliche, idiotic, annoying side characters ruined a lot of this series.

The plot was alright, the "filler" stuff got ridiculous and hard to handle in some places. There were also a lot of plot holes/confusion surrounding the "ED" that Jennifer kept talking about, and Takeru's "powers".

So, you add that crap ending to this, and there you have it- 5/10.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jul 26, 2015 5:32 PM

May 2015
Is an anime with an ending that doesn't completely destroy the epic story right when it's done too much to ask for? Guilty crown and this anime both had terrible endings. I would give this one a 9/10 as far as story goes but with that ending i say 5.5. What happened to happy endings where they lived happily ever after? Completely ruined it for me.
This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang but a whimper. ~TS Eliot

Aug 19, 2015 6:22 AM

Oct 2014
the ending makes me so upset lololol but it was still a very good anime despite that so 8/10
Oct 12, 2015 11:21 AM
Oct 2015
BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER WATCHED! It was amazing, I LOVED everything about it. I loved the characters, the music, the words, the picture, and the introduction song IS TO DIE FOR! This show had action, adventure, romance, funny moments, and sometimes it would get so serious. My favorite character would have to be Hakari. That's another thing I LOVED about the show. It had a character that saw the little things in life and thought that they were incredible. To have someone like that in the show was probably the best thing they could of done! I had never ever layed eyes on an anime show until now, that's how amazing this show is! If there was just one thing I could of changed in the show, it would have to be the ending! Finally the audience got what they wanted (Hakari and Takeru to finally show there true feelings for eachother, and for Mari to be out of the way) and the ending just took that all away. If ur going to leave a cliffhanger like that to ur audience, at least make season 2. IM JUST DYING TO SEE IT!!! Any ways, i give this show a 10/10!
gabriaellcollinsOct 12, 2015 11:24 AM
Oct 17, 2016 10:55 PM
Jan 2014
I guess the show was alright until it went full Gainax in the last 3 epiisodes.
Dec 10, 2016 11:22 PM

May 2012
It was a pretty okay ending, quite expected from Gainax to be honest like total intense in the end but with a rather weak and slow buildup towards it.

All in all the characters and overall concept/setting was pretty good but it just lacked various aspects, and the continuous fan service was more of a bother than anything positive!

Oh well all in all a pretty decent anime!
Dec 15, 2016 10:44 AM

Apr 2009
Come on guys it's really not that bad. IMO the last 3 episodes saved this show even though there are plotholes.

7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2019 7:09 AM

Nov 2016
I actually liked the ending, maybe because I have a thing for bitter sweet conclusions. The rest wasn't really for my liking except for some of the more laid back comedy parts.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 25, 2021 7:07 PM
Nov 2014
sad ending for the storyline with akari and hikari returning back to space, i got the feels for sure. i'm going to miss the characters and comedy, they were so fun to watch.
Apr 11, 2021 10:42 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well the ending was still confusing for some points that just felt random like with the monster fight but apart from that it was quite sad... goodbye Hikari, Akari and the robots.
Apr 14, 2021 12:46 PM

Nov 2018
Out of all the Gainax I've seen. This is definitely the worst one. What a waste of everything.
Jun 25, 2021 11:16 AM
Nov 2019
This anime I remember watching it when I was 18-19
In 2005-2006

Back then I was a teen back then I actually enjoyed it

I’ve rewatched it recently after nearly 15 years

And the storyline could of been better
But the concept was good

It could of been a better anime it had potential
I don’t get what gainax or shaft where thinking

After all the starting credits music was composed by the same people who did Neon genesis Evangelion

This anime really had the potential to become a classic

But now days no one even remembers it....
Jun 25, 2021 11:19 AM
Nov 2019
Ashhk said:
Well the ending was still confusing for some points that just felt random like with the monster fight but apart from that it was quite sad... goodbye Hikari, Akari and the robots.

Your born in 2001 lol this anime came out in 2004

Come to think of it

Your technically the same age as asuka and shinji

From neon Genesis Evangelion weird lol.
Jun 25, 2021 11:21 AM
Nov 2019
gabriaellcollins said:
BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER WATCHED! It was amazing, I LOVED everything about it. I loved the characters, the music, the words, the picture, and the introduction song IS TO DIE FOR! This show had action, adventure, romance, funny moments, and sometimes it would get so serious. My favorite character would have to be Hakari. That's another thing I LOVED about the show. It had a character that saw the little things in life and thought that they were incredible. To have someone like that in the show was probably the best thing they could of done! I had never ever layed eyes on an anime show until now, that's how amazing this show is! If there was just one thing I could of changed in the show, it would have to be the ending! Finally the audience got what they wanted (Hakari and Takeru to finally show there true feelings for eachother, and for Mari to be out of the way) and the ending just took that all away. If ur going to leave a cliffhanger like that to ur audience, at least make season 2. IM JUST DYING TO SEE IT!!! Any ways, i give this show a 10/10!

I doubt there will be another season dude came out in 2004 and it’s 2021... unfortunately
Jun 25, 2021 11:25 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hashiriya_weeb87 said:
Ashhk said:

Your born in 2001 lol this anime came out in 2004

Come to think of it

Your technically the same age as asuka and shinji

From neon Genesis Evangelion weird lol.
Hmm yes but it doesn't change anything to my tastes (?) I still have a preference for older shows
Sep 16, 2022 10:07 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I am sort of angry at the ending. It was fine when they broke the curse with love by accepting their different sides, but why leave Earth when it was well?

Hikari and Takeru didn't battle enough as enemies or fight enough to stay together. Both power and peace ridden left nowhere. Felt so meh

Yeah the best part was the awakening, Hikari being a thorn to Takeru's past (episodes 10 and 11) triggering the beast in him and them contesting each other's being.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Episode 11 Discussion

xerickkingx - Feb 11, 2008

9 by iamKetranLang »»
Sep 16, 2022 9:07 PM

Poll: » This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Episode 10 Discussion

kanaka - Mar 8, 2008

6 by iamKetranLang »»
Sep 16, 2022 8:17 PM

Poll: » This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Episode 9 Discussion

kanaka - Mar 8, 2008

8 by iamKetranLang »»
Sep 15, 2022 9:47 PM

Poll: » This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Episode 4 Discussion

kanaka - Mar 7, 2008

13 by Sergio_26 »»
Sep 9, 2022 8:59 AM

Poll: » This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Episode 1 Discussion

kanaka - Mar 7, 2008

21 by Ashhk »»
Apr 12, 2021 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.