Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 9, 2010 12:04 AM

Feb 2010
So I was wondering which charater(s) you find the most complex?

I love amines that are not too simple and straight forward and this question would satify my hunger for possible animes I have missed out on, as well getting to know u folks a little better =)

Here are some of mine:

Do your best !! =)

EDIT: Becasue the question has been raised a lot, here is my definition of a character:

Well a complex character in my opinion is a figure that has to be somewhat round. He has to have different emotions, not sad or happy all the time. His actions are not always clear and his goals might not be known until they actually happen.

Now, the personal opinion is always a part of identifying a complex character. The character has to have faults or successes or even both that the individual finds believable and identifies with on some level. Everything unfolding around that character should have a purpose or some significant reason that adds importance to the story or foreshadows the end (beginning).

Most importantly he has to demonstrate the complexity of human nature (which we all don’t really understand even if we have a PhD in psychology or human sciences. This does not mean however that he can't be supernatural; many chose someone with special abilities or other inhuman characteristics.

Hope this helps a bit.

Vaan
Vaan_DawnFeb 10, 2010 3:41 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 9, 2010 12:20 AM

Apr 2009
what is that complex in vincent law ? he just didnt remember who he is and the entire series was asking himself WHO THE HELL AM I.. why am i here blablabla X)
Feb 9, 2010 12:29 AM

Feb 2010
Haha, I agree that he really has no clue about almost everything, but what if I would call him
instead? Changes things, not?
Feb 9, 2010 12:52 AM

Jun 2009
Shirou of Fate/Stay Night.

IMO, only the creator really understood that character.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2010 12:57 AM

Apr 2008
lelouch's complex character is a reflection of the insight and deep philosophy embodied in code geass.

other than that, I'd go with Murasaki, from kure-nai.

Feb 9, 2010 1:16 AM

Jul 2007
Mamimi in FLCL has always struck me as an incredibly complex character. I swear, I could watch "Fire Starter" over and over and always figure out something new about her character.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Feb 9, 2010 1:40 AM

Feb 2010
Oh I gotta watch that one again. I just remember that she smokes A LOT and loves the place under the bridge. ;)
Feb 9, 2010 1:53 AM

Sep 2008
Kurama from Elfen Lied, hands down. There's just so much things he had to go through, and still remain a human...

Another two would be
Ushiro Jun from Bokurano
and
Satou from Welcome to NHK!
Feb 9, 2010 1:59 AM

Dec 2007
/everyonefromLegendoftheGalacticHeroes

My pick would be Kusuriuri. Very complex yet so mysterious that you end up not knowint much of that complexity, except that it exists.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 9, 2010 3:16 AM

Feb 2010
Ah I found another one: Alex Row from Last Exile. Very interesting fellow from the first time he appears.
Feb 9, 2010 3:41 AM

May 2009
Yuuko Ichihara - xxxHOLIC
Motoko Kusanagi - GITShell
Anthy Himemiya - RGUtena
Feb 9, 2010 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
ladyxzeus said:
My pick would be Kusuriuri. Very complex yet so mysterious that you end up not knowint much of that complexity, except that it exists.
Beat me to it.
Feb 9, 2010 4:13 AM

Apr 2009
^That guy from mononoke.
Feb 9, 2010 4:25 AM

May 2007
Yurine - Karas
Gantz - Gantz

Feb 9, 2010 11:13 AM
Jan 2010
Definitely Shinji from Evangelion.
Feb 9, 2010 11:34 AM

Apr 2009
nanaya_kiri said:
He's not complex, he's just a fag.
Feb 9, 2010 11:52 AM

May 2008
Shinji is just DERP, not DEEP.
Feb 9, 2010 11:55 AM
Jan 2010
Jaapsneep said:
nanaya_kiri said:

tolkki said:

LOL, looks like someone didn't pay much attention when watching the series.
kiri7Feb 9, 2010 12:02 PM
Feb 9, 2010 12:05 PM
Feb 9, 2010 12:14 PM

Apr 2009
nanaya_kiri said:
Jaapsneep said:
nanaya_kiri said:

tolkki said:

Or paid too much attention and looked through the pretending-to-be-philosophical evangelion.
Feb 9, 2010 12:17 PM

Apr 2009
Light Yagami from Death Note.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Feb 9, 2010 12:23 PM

Feb 2009
I agree with Shinji and Alex.I'd also mention Takemoto from h&c,shiki from knk,kino from kino no tabi and maybe lain from SEL and rei from nge.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Feb 9, 2010 12:31 PM

Apr 2009
Rei and Shinji? Gendo, now that's a complex character from NGE.
Feb 9, 2010 12:40 PM

Feb 2009
Jaapsneep said:
Gendo, now that's a complex character from NGE.

In my opinion,gendo is a bit underdeveloped.Also,Misato is kind of one-sided but she's somewhat deep.
Feb 9, 2010 12:45 PM
Jan 2010
Jaapsneep said:
Or paid too much attention and looked through the pretending-to-be-philosophical evangelion.

It wasn't the philosophical aspect, but rather the psychological one which was the point of the series. It was about a boy who was withdrawn and afraid of others and who overcomed his problems at the end.(That was the whole point of the last two episodes).

But if you want to think that Evangelion is "pretending-to-be-philosophical", that's fine too.^_^
kiri7Feb 9, 2010 12:55 PM
Feb 9, 2010 2:28 PM

Feb 2010
Hmm, i would side with Jaapsneep and see Gendo as the most complex character in NGE. Shinshi as well as Rei are pretty much straight forward characters and you know what to expect from them in the very first ep. Their psychological aspect is indeed interesting but not really that complex.
Vaan_DawnFeb 9, 2010 2:33 PM
Feb 9, 2010 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
No Face from Spirited Away. Beside being one of the scariest creature I have seen in anime, he is really hard to understand and I really couldn't figure out what a creature like him could think of when I first saw Spirited Away.
Another one, well I guess, she is probably in my favorites characters and even more at the first place. Dunno, I should check it out.
HooHiraiBunnyFeb 9, 2010 2:46 PM
Feb 9, 2010 2:47 PM

Oct 2009
Lain
Feb 9, 2010 2:59 PM

Apr 2009
AirStyles said:

Shirou was just a sexist idiot imo. If you want to understand him better, you'd have to look into playing the VN.
I'd have to say the most complex characters I've come across Ichihara Yuuko and Hei.
I would never say that Shinji was complex, but I can see how people would think so. To me, it would be the complexity of the characters surrounding Shinji, as Shinji himself was always straightforward as far as understanding him goes, even in the final 2 episodes (lolproductionvalues).
Feb 9, 2010 3:50 PM

Jul 2007
Jaapsneep said:
nanaya_kiri said:
Jaapsneep said:
nanaya_kiri said:

tolkki said:

What philosophical anime isn't pretending to be philosophical?

Seriously though, as a study of the human condition, Evangelion is phenomenal.

Urufuzu_rein said:
I'd also mention Takemoto from h&c.

I can't stand his character, because it's not a character. It's an archetype for viewers to relate to. He is essentially the viewer and therefore not a compelling character at all.
Feb 9, 2010 5:23 PM

Nov 2009
Hmmm, i found The Count of Monti Cristo, AKA Gankutsuou to be a very complex and deep character. Another would prob be Guts, from Berserk.
Feb 9, 2010 5:58 PM

Apr 2008
Wetpantsu said:
ladyxzeus said:
Beat me to it.
Ah, well quoting it is easier than typing it out.
Feb 9, 2010 6:02 PM

Jun 2008
What is the definition of complex in terms of describing people?
Feb 10, 2010 1:15 AM

Feb 2010
Ahh, I thought someone might ask. Well a complex character in my opinion is a figure that has to be somewhat round. He has to have different emotions, not sad or happy all the time. His actions are not always clear and his goals might not be known until they actually happen.

Now, the personal opinion is always a part of identifying a complex character. The character has to have faults or successes or even both that the individual finds believable and identifies with on some level. Everything unfolding around that character should have a purpose or some significant reason that adds importance to the story or foreshadows the end (beginning).

Most importantly he has to demonstrate the complexity of human nature (which we all don’t really understand even if we have a PhD in psychology or human sciences. This does not mean however that he can't be supernatural; many chose someone with special abilities or other inhuman characteristics.

Hope this helps a bit.
Feb 10, 2010 1:21 AM

Feb 2010
FlameAlchemist12 said:
Another would prob be Guts, from Berserk.

I find it interesting that you would see Guts as complex since I always thought that Griffith, Casca, Zodd or the Skull Knight (if you have read the manga) would be the most complex characters in the anime. Interesting thinking though.
Feb 10, 2010 1:49 AM

Feb 2010
spike and faye-cowboy bebop

takumura-hajime no ippo haha
Feb 10, 2010 3:41 AM

Mar 2009
ReaperEXE said:
AirStyles said:

Shirou was just a sexist wimpyidiot bastard imo.

Fixed.
Feb 10, 2010 4:44 AM

Feb 2009
Splitter said:

I can't stand his character, because it's not a character. It's an archetype for viewers to relate to. He is essentially the viewer and therefore not a compelling character at all.

What part of him is not compelling?A character is even more compelling if you can relate with him.At least for me.I disagree that he's the viewer simply because of the variety of the viewers.He is not the viewer because you can't reduce the viewers to a single person.I agree that it's more easy to relate with him though.
Feb 10, 2010 6:39 AM

Nov 2009
how about a complex character in terms of pure technical aspect?
it means i could mention ryosuke takahashi from initial d...
or having a deep technical perspective and a fine psychological perspective?
like jun kitami from wangan midnight...

Feb 10, 2010 7:37 AM

Feb 2005
Seconding the Count, and Guts to some extent.

While Alucard wouldn't really be my top pick as complex, he did surprise me when his background and ideals were revealed.

But most of all, Oberstein. With Reuenthal trailing behind and Reinhard for third place. Of course, I have to mention Yang too, although he wasn't really complex, he was just incredibly well written.
Splitter said:
Well, there are those too of course. Like Lelouch. Though he was really more of a plot device than a character, as with Light from DN too.

And as for Shinji, I wouldn't call him complex. He was actually fairly simple imo, he might just seem more complex because of how the series emphasized so much on his mental state (or lack thereof). Well written, but not really complex.
Feb 10, 2010 8:10 AM

Jul 2007
Urufuzu_rein said:
Splitter said:

What part of him is not compelling?A character is even more compelling if you can relate with him.At least for me.I disagree that he's the viewer simply because of the variety of the viewers.He is not the viewer because you can't reduce the viewers to a single person.I agree that it's more easy to relate with him though.

The problem is he's so bland outside of his relatable experiences and that is why I feel compelled to see him as a mirror rather than a character. Never once did I see anything even remotely compelling in him personally.
Feb 10, 2010 11:16 AM
Oct 2009
Most of the characters with horrible pasts. Anyone that has to deal with a beldam.
Feb 10, 2010 11:22 AM

Oct 2009
A few of mine

Lelouch
Nagisa
Hei (Darker than Black)

Feb 10, 2010 11:49 AM
Nov 2008
Makes me wonder what actually a complex character is?

I mean all character are complex to some extent and seeing what examples were posted here i have no clue what the criteria for complex character are.
Feb 10, 2010 1:05 PM

Jul 2009
Oberstein, theres no one as complex as him.
Feb 10, 2010 1:21 PM

Aug 2009
Tachii said:
What is the definition of complex in terms of describing people?

For me, a complex character is a character with goals, desires and/or and needs that conflict with each other, so that they have motivations that may contradict one another and thus the audience never can quite predict how they will act. I think lelouch is a quite good example like a couple of people mentioned, because he wants to lead a successful violent revolutuon but that goal sometimes conflicts with his wish that the people he cares about be happy, so sometimes he has to choose between those two conflicting motivations and you never know what he will choose. Light Yagami on the other hand I didn't find that complex, because he always puts his singular goal ahead of everything else, so if it comes to a situation where he has to choose between two paths you always know that he will choose the one that serves his goal- there isn't the same kind of unpredictability with his character.

I guess sometimes it can also mean that a character has different aspects to them that wouldn't seem to naturally go together. I thought Lady Eboshi in Princess Mononoke was like this, because she seemed very capable of both ruthlessness and also of being very caring towards people. With a character like that, there are always complex reasons for why they value one thing over another etc.
Feb 10, 2010 1:37 PM

Sep 2009
going with the rounded, demonstrating many facets of human nature kind of definition, I would go with:

Mayuko - Niea_7
Yasako - Dennou Coil
Muto - Ocean Waves
Feb 10, 2010 1:58 PM
Oct 2008
Lain from Serial Experimets Lain
Spike Spiegel - Cowboy Bebop
Feb 10, 2010 2:10 PM
Nov 2008
I think I will define a complex character, as someone who requires a lot of thought to understand as well as someone whose goals might be evident or completely hidden. Then it could also be an allegory of an philosophical doctrine or a representant of a philosophical school having his own judgement.

I think Rika, Bernkastell, Bern. would fit this bill since none of them is truly different from each other and yet they're completely different entities stemming from one core character.

Maybe Huey Laforet with his position as just an observer would fit the bill. There are also quite a few characters from GitS who would fit my description. One of them would be the Major or the Laughing Man, as well as the chief.

Then some people in Black Lagoon like Ravy would fit as well, with her Descartes' point of view.

actually there might be some more but i don't have the time to note them all.
Feb 10, 2010 3:06 PM

Nov 2009
Vaan_Dawn said:
FlameAlchemist12 said:
Another would prob be Guts, from Berserk.

I find it interesting that you would see Guts as complex since I always thought that Griffith, Casca, Zodd or the Skull Knight (if you have read the manga) would be the most complex characters in the anime. Interesting thinking though.

Well, Griffith and the rest i find kinda of single minded, they go through their turmoils and hardships but they know what they want in the story and fight for it, however guts is..well screwed, he doesn't know what he wants, does he want to kill Griffith, kill casca, save casca, he is constantly being torn at by his anger and love. I find him complex because he acts the most human.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

59 by Atashi_Agatha »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

105 by Piromysl »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

41 by CheesyJen »»
16 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

2 by Dizzy-san »»
38 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

12 by Zarutaku »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.