Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 10, 2010 5:03 PM

Apr 2008
Shinji, Rei, and Asuka from Evangelion. No, scratch that, then entire CAST of Eva!
Feb 10, 2010 5:31 PM

May 2009
PockyBebop said:
Shinji, Rei, and Asuka from Evangelion. No, scratch that, then entire CAST of Eva!

I don't think Pen Pen was a complex character.
Feb 10, 2010 5:37 PM

Dec 2007
TsukikageRan said:
PockyBebop said:

I don't think Pen Pen was a complex character.

He was, he was a penguin. That drank beer. And lived inside the fridge

How you can get more complex than this is hard to figure. How you get more awesome than this is unthinkable.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 10, 2010 5:40 PM

Jun 2009
Yano
and the girl in my sig and avatar
Fumika
EleisonFeb 10, 2010 5:43 PM
Feb 10, 2010 5:59 PM

Jan 2010
I'm an anime noob, so I will say L/Ryuzaki from Deathnote. His skills of estimation and deduction just baffle me. I really have no idea what is going on in his head.
Feb 10, 2010 6:14 PM

May 2009
ladyxzeus said:
He was, he was a penguin. That drank beer. And lived inside the fridge

How you can get more complex than this is hard to figure. How you get more awesome than this is unthinkable.

My dog can drink beer and sticks his head inside the fridge - no need to live there since he's not a penguin. He's also not an anime character. Your idea of complex is far from mine but in terms of awesomeness - well...you just might have a point.

BTW, the dog is also into humping people's legs (after sticking his nose inside the fridge for beer - joudan). Awesome?
Feb 10, 2010 6:36 PM

Feb 2005
tizara said:
For me, a complex character is a character with goals, desires and/or and needs that conflict with each other, so that they have motivations that may contradict one another and thus the audience never can quite predict how they will act. I think lelouch is a quite good example like a couple of people mentioned, because he wants to lead a successful violent revolutuon but that goal sometimes conflicts with his wish that the people he cares about be happy, so sometimes he has to choose between those two conflicting motivations and you never know what he will choose.
But if complexity should come from unpredictability, the character would still need to be more or less consistent and coherent, a number of seemingly random and erratic actions would not make something complex.
It's a lot like how certain series try to make themselves appear more deep and complex by jumbling up the chronology of it's events and so on, when the basic plot at heart is still really simple.

The most important things for complexity imo would be
ace52387 said:
demonstrating many facets of human nature
Coupled with a certain degree of mystery and unpredictability, but not to an extent where one cannot fathom the characters goals in the end anyways. Anyone can make a mysterious and unpredictable character, the complexity comes from the fact that it is all well built and connected beneath the surface.
Throwing a bunch of gears in a pile does not make a clock.
Feb 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Feb 2010
FlameAlchemist12 said:
FlameAlchemist12 said:
Another would prob be Guts, from Berserk.

Well, Griffith and the rest i find kinda of single minded, they go through their turmoils and hardships but they know what they want in the story and fight for it, however guts is..well screwed, he doesn't know what he wants, does he want to kill Griffith, kill casca, save casca, he is constantly being torn at by his anger and love. I find him complex because he acts the most human.

maybe the manga is gratly influencing me in this statment but guts has really only one purpose: kill, kill more, kill even more and kill Griffith. I would also not go as far as to call gut's feelings part love since he is not really able to love anything else but battle and the sparks of swords clashing. Yes you could say that Griffith also only has one purpose but just understanding his goals and looking how he achieves them makes him much more complex in my opinion. The reason why I like guts is because he is strongwilled but rather simple.
Feb 11, 2010 1:14 AM

Apr 2009
Pen Pen was complex. I have no idea what that penguin thought.

I liked eva for it's mecha but hated the introvert shinji with passion. He probably is the most complex wimp, but I don't really care.

For me, the most complex character so far is Gol D Roger. The more I know about him , the less I understand.
Feb 11, 2010 2:15 AM

Feb 2010
Pen Pen, I love this dude but calling him comlex is just a little too much for me. But he has an entertaining character, for a penguin that is :)
Feb 11, 2010 3:30 AM

Jan 2010
Yang Wenli (LotGH)
Even Schencop, a very complex man himself, calls him a mass of contradictions.
Score Criteria:
Feb 11, 2010 6:59 AM

Aug 2009
Probably Reki from Haibane Renmei.
-Fixing-
Feb 11, 2010 7:26 AM

Nov 2009
Captain Harlock comes to mind first, none of his crew can ever understand what or why he does things, Madoka from KOR, one of the first/OG Tsundere's types or Hotaramaru from Gakuen Alice. She's always charging Mikan exorbitant amounts of $$ just to even talk to her at times, then ignores her, but then rescues her with some strange gadget she just made with a perfect poker face.
Feb 11, 2010 3:15 PM

Nov 2009
Vaan_Dawn said:
FlameAlchemist12 said:
FlameAlchemist12 said:
Another would prob be Guts, from Berserk.

Well, Griffith and the rest i find kinda of single minded, they go through their turmoils and hardships but they know what they want in the story and fight for it, however guts is..well screwed, he doesn't know what he wants, does he want to kill Griffith, kill casca, save casca, he is constantly being torn at by his anger and love. I find him complex because he acts the most human.

maybe the manga is gratly influencing me in this statment but guts has really only one purpose: kill, kill more, kill even more and kill Griffith. I would also not go as far as to call gut's feelings part love since he is not really able to love anything else but battle and the sparks of swords clashing. Yes you could say that Griffith also only has one purpose but just understanding his goals and looking how he achieves them makes him much more complex in my opinion. The reason why I like guts is because he is strongwilled but rather simple.

Well, are you very far in the manga, since i dont want to spoil anything in my explanation.
Feb 11, 2010 7:52 PM

Feb 2010
I'm waiting for the next release, so yeah I'm pretty far with the manga. =)
Feb 11, 2010 7:59 PM

Jan 2010
Light Yagami from Death Note.
Johan from Monster.
\
Feb 12, 2010 10:11 PM
Feb 2010
MisterSaito said:
lelouch's complex character is a reflection of the insight and deep philosophy embodied in code geass.

Agreed. Lelouch is probably the most complex character that I've seen so far.

Feb 13, 2010 9:20 AM
Sep 2009
Ai Enma from Hell Girl

Lain as well, but really the whole show was complex; I still don't really understand it

Hei from Darker Than Black is also pretty complex
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 13, 2010 11:02 AM

Dec 2009
Oooh, I agree with the post above me; Ai Enma is one complex character that I really have to say is both tragic and yet loyal (loyal because she's sticking to her duties in the 1st season anyways lol). >w>"

And recently, one character that I can think at the top of my head right now is: Break from Pandora H.! He may not be ur typical dark-figure but he's still just as mysterious and complex (until his whole story had been told), his history was also human bound because he made a mistake messing with time, but I also question as to HOW he got his own chain >o<"

I love both animes! And this topic is a reli good idea too, it's fun to chek up on dis ^-^v
~ M20J.
Feb 13, 2010 11:06 AM

Mar 2008
I definitely go for Hei.
Feb 14, 2010 1:38 AM

Feb 2010
I'm just watching ergo proxy again and I gotta say, Daedalus (the doc) is also a very interesting character. Even if he is obsessed with Real, it really shows how far humans go in order to protect their raison d'être. That is if they have one.......
Feb 14, 2010 3:01 AM

Oct 2009
Moonfrost said:
Lelouch from Code Geass
Feb 14, 2010 7:06 AM

Nov 2009
Oh, was watching Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo again, and im just amazed at the Count's character. He's probably one of the more human and complex characters ive seen in an anime.
Feb 14, 2010 7:25 AM

Nov 2008
ironflowers said:
Lelouch from Code Geass

No.

Mmm_Chocolate said:
Light Yagami from Death Note.
Johan from Monster.

I agree with this except I think Johan is more complex.
Feb 14, 2010 7:50 AM
Jan 2008
Admitedly I havn't seen a few of the ones being mentioned which makes a comparison difficult but I'd have to go with
Chouji Suitengu - Speed Grapher
I eat your cereal at night and don't even charge
Feb 14, 2010 6:43 PM

Jan 2010
Half the characters from Pandora Hearts -- especially if you continue the story in the manga.
Feb 14, 2010 11:07 PM

Oct 2009
Usagilove said:
No.

care to explain why?
Feb 15, 2010 1:17 AM

Nov 2009
Lelouch and C.C from Code Geass qualify as mine at the moment.
Feb 22, 2010 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
osaka-san (azumanga daioh)

the way she think is just WTF!

and november 11 from darker than black
Feb 22, 2010 12:29 PM

Jun 2008
Like mentioned before, Griffith for sure. I also think that the main child cast from Neon Genesis Evangelion were pretty complicated. I may be using the world complicated as a misnomer for "deep" in that case though.
I'm back.
Feb 24, 2010 11:38 PM
Sep 2009
Reki from Haibane Renmei...possibly the most complex anime character I've seen
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Mar 16, 2010 3:03 PM
Dec 2008
Ryoji Kaji (NGE)
Mar 16, 2010 4:51 PM

Oct 2009
Hisoka from hunter x hunter
The granny from shangri la
Tokuchi from one outs
The guy with a saxo in trigun
karasu from noein
The main guy from chaoshead

I m too lazy to keep going on my list :)
Mar 16, 2010 7:21 PM

Feb 2010
Lelouch~ Code Geass
Light~ Death Note
L~ Death Note
Mar 16, 2010 7:35 PM

Jan 2010
I would say that Kino from Kino's Journey is pretty complex; I could NEVER figure out what she was going to do.

I don't think many people are going on the right idea of "COMPLEXITY"; they seem to be confusing it with the amount of storyline behind them. GRIFFITH doesn't seem to be complex at all in my eyes because he simply wants what he wants and that's all you need to know. Actually, as charismatic and interesting as he can be, at the end of the day he's an incredibly standard, remorseless villain.

GUTS, on the other hand, I agree is complex; he's brutal and careless, but at the same time he's protective and driven. As the manga goes on, though, it seems as if he's becoming more of the typical good guy with a rage-trigger, rather than an unpredictable and morally gray character.

BrockemsockemMar 16, 2010 7:40 PM
Mar 16, 2010 8:24 PM

Dec 2008
clannadrezz said:
Lelouch~ Code Geass
Light~ Death Note
L~ Death Note

If by "complex" you understand something as "incoherent", then yes.
Otherwise. What the fuck.
Every one of those characters are obvious clichés. You could see every action they took before they did it.
Mar 17, 2010 1:57 AM

Jan 2010
kitaiii said:
clannadrezz said:
Lelouch~ Code Geass
Light~ Death Note
L~ Death Note

If by "complex" you understand something as "incoherent", then yes.
Otherwise. What the fuck.
Every one of those characters are obvious clichés. You could see every action they took before they did it.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said it seems like people get confused between storyline complexity and character complexity. You can sum up all those characters in a few words no more than a sentence; you wouldn't have to digress once; they're all very straightforward and reasonably stagnant, as good of characters as they are.
Mar 18, 2010 12:49 PM

Apr 2009
I would have to say all of the main characters of Eureka 7.
Jul 25, 2014 12:11 PM

Nov 2012
thread bump.
Jul 25, 2014 12:15 PM

Feb 2010
Luffy
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 25, 2014 12:16 PM

Jan 2013
Poplan
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 25, 2014 12:18 PM

May 2013
Rezzeku said:
Lelouch~ Code Geass
Light~ Death Note
L~ Death Note

*Laugh track plays*
Jul 25, 2014 12:40 PM

Feb 2014
How about Ohtomo Jin from Tokyo Ravens??
Jul 5, 2021 2:48 AM
Oct 2019
Eren Yeager (30 character limit), btw you guys alive?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 4 hours ago

16 by W3TFT »»
46 seconds ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

11 by Lucifrost »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

44 by elgatosaika »»
19 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

53 by ColourWheel »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.