Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 5, 2008 12:36 PM
May 2008
THE TENSION! I can't wait to see how they solve this situation!
Jul 29, 2008 9:54 AM

Jun 2008
The ending of this episode made me so sad! I feel bad for Horo, since she is just trying to make Lawrence feel better. He had better make it up to her in the next episode!
Aug 10, 2008 12:04 AM

May 2008
cyruz said:
He's cornered in a way he has never been before, I can imagine you can get quite desperate in that situation. Looking forward to how they're gonna solve their problem. I'm sure together they'll be able to think of something awesome. :D

Good episode.

same here can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 20, 2008 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
sunstruck said:
xo_cl2 said:
Nice episode but im kind of confused.
He bought the armors but doesnt have enough money to pay so he owes ratpearsons part of the payment(?). The demand for armors declined so lawrence will have problem selling it and ratpearson took advantage of this because Lawrence was ignorant of this fact ...
.... so is the guild going to pay back the loan for him and have Lawrence pay the guild back or is he on his own?

The guild will not help Lawrence pay back the debt at all. The guildmaster says so.

The debt comes from the ~50 Lumione that he had actually borrowed from Latopeiron. He 'bought' 100 Lumione worth of armor hoping to sell it for much more, but it ended up being nearly worthless, resulting in a loss of close to 100 Lumione. About half of this was covered by his earnings from the pepper, and the remainder was the 47 3/4 Lumione debt he was saddled with.

This was the most useful thing I've found on the entire internet. Thank you -so- much for clearing it up. I -just- started watching Spice and Wolf yesterday and I could not possibly understand where the 47 3/4 Rumione debt came from. It makes a lot more sense now though.... but I can't believe Lawrence would do something so stupid as to buy 100 Rumione worth of armor. That amount of money is enough to support someone for at least 20 years of their life humbly, isn't that right? (I think one of those is worth like 35 ...Tohrani is it?)

Anyway... the plot thickens. x3
Sep 9, 2008 1:42 PM

Jun 2007
horo was really cute at the start of the episode, getting her way to the honey peaches xD
srsbsns shit going down this episode. poor lawrance, after reading the bankrupt notes from ayako, poor lawrance x 2
i do agree that i would not mind escaping the town in horo's mouth xD
poor lawrance again, it was kinda sad to see him breaking down even more after a couple of houses and walking faster... i also felt bad for horo
lawrance taking his frustration while pushing horo back was.... :(
pretty bad ending, i want to see how this gets resolved, and i want to see those two finally together..
Sep 9, 2008 2:55 PM

Aug 2008
A very complicated situation for them...
very complicated indeed.

Oct 9, 2008 3:02 AM

Feb 2008
Shit, that really does suck. Hopefully he can get out of this just fine.
Nov 23, 2008 6:11 PM

Jan 2008
I hope they get out of this mess, but I feel like the plan might backfire.
Jan 17, 2009 4:25 PM

Jul 2008
A very grave situation for Lawrence, the change in emotions displayed in this episode was great.
Jan 28, 2009 10:54 PM

May 2008
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but personally it is super amazingly refreshing to see someone having a conflict in anime that doesn't have to do with fights / girls. (Not including that Horo bit at the end.)
Feb 18, 2009 5:22 AM

Feb 2008
I know Lawrance is in a bad situation... but I disapprove how he treats Horo. >:
Apr 4, 2009 9:55 PM

Jan 2009
De-JaY said:
I know Lawrance is in a bad situation... but I disapprove how he treats Horo. >:
I couldn't say that better. Lawrence is really a nice person. And even sometimes naive against the jokes of Horo, that makes him very lovely. But damn, the way he treated Horo was unexcusable.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 8, 2009 3:36 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, I feel really bad for both of them... Specially after reading what will happen to Lawrence if he's bankrupt...

I hope they can solve this soon! They only have one day left.
FumikoApr 8, 2009 3:40 PM

May 18, 2009 8:09 PM

Sep 2008
De-JaY said:

Yeah me too, poor Horo :(

Jun 9, 2009 9:17 PM

Apr 2008
interesting episode ... kinda feel bad for Lawrence ... hope he can clear his debt

Jun 14, 2009 12:55 AM

May 2008
Seeing Lawrence snap at Horo was rather unsettling. I wonder how many honey coated pears he is going to have to buy her to make up for it.
Jul 6, 2009 2:53 AM

Nov 2007
Seems tensions are running high here, Lawrence snapping at Horo was to be expected but I still feel sorry for Horo =/ it will be interesting to see how he gets out of this mess though.
Jul 17, 2009 5:20 AM

Jan 2008
I didn't find Lawrence hitting Horo all that outrageous. ...it was rather a shove, hm? o.o

I mean o.O I don't approve of beating up women. xD Urgs. That's not what I meant at all!

It's just...he is in a grave situation (yup, partially his own fault) and even though Horo might have had good intentions, she was not really helping / in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Plus, Lawrence asked her beforehand to stay at the inn so she wouldn't have to endure his desperation after all...

Little Horo fanboys & -girls: remember that Horo can be quite nasty, too xD So let's all forgive poor Lawrence~

Oh, but he apologized and realized it was totally wrong. They'll probably make up, too.
SaorinJul 21, 2009 7:03 AM

Aug 11, 2009 10:30 AM

Aug 2009
Oh dear, Lawrence got real problems. So, I will watch next episode immidiately.
Sep 8, 2009 5:19 AM

Aug 2009
very cool episode ^^
Sep 8, 2009 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
very cool episode ^^
Oct 9, 2009 11:25 PM

Aug 2009
Aw you done gone and fucked it up now, Lawrence

XD

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Oct 16, 2009 9:36 PM

Aug 2009
Damn those greedy ass merchants. Why won't they give Lawrence a hand. He's in a pinch.

Poor Horo, got smacked by Lawrence. Although it wasn't his fault since he's currently in a bad situation. Wonder how Lawrence would settle this up with his debt and with Horo.

Very nice episode. We now learned that being a merchant is definately hard.
Nov 5, 2009 12:14 PM
Sep 2009
Deep s**t.

Lawrence is in it, with Horo at one end and debt at the other, even anime is affected by the recession.
Nov 6, 2009 4:34 AM

Apr 2009
ouch... a very good episode, gives you the feeling of also losing that much money and the desperation of having to pay debt xD
Nov 10, 2009 9:06 PM

Jun 2009
This show is great, a conflict that makes sense and is relatable. Reading the notes at the end of the episode really put things in perspective as far as Lawrence's actions and, honestly, I found the way he acts in this episode completely understandable.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 10, 2010 1:26 PM

Nov 2008
Oh gosh, Lawrence is really in a bad situation now, and this episode shows the negative opinion people have about women.
Excellent episode and excellent plot twist, indeed.
Jan 25, 2010 7:13 PM

Dec 2009
I really liked this episode, definately one of my favorites of this series. I truly care how Lawrence & Horo will overcome this obstacle. I didn't really feel that way in every episode. Naturally I'm watching the next episode in a moment :) ...
Such junk...
Jan 30, 2010 10:03 PM

Sep 2007
Saorin said:
I didn't find Lawrence hitting Horo all that outrageous. ...it was rather a shove, hm? o.o

I mean o.O I don't approve of beating up women. xD Urgs. That's not what I meant at all!

It's just...he is in a grave situation (yup, partially his own fault) and even though Horo might have had good intentions, she was not really helping / in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Plus, Lawrence asked her beforehand to stay at the inn so she wouldn't have to endure his desperation after all...

Little Horo fanboys & -girls: remember that Horo can be quite nasty, too xD So let's all forgive poor Lawrence~

Oh, but he apologized and realized it was totally wrong. They'll probably make up, too.

Exactly. Honestly, everyone is talking like he back slapped her to the ground and started beating the crap out of her when all he did was shove her aside. While he did overreact, one little shove is nothing compared to Horo constantly pinching/stomping on him. Not to mention he is freaking out royally right now. He barely seems like the type to hit a man, let along a woman in his right mind.

I actually thought he took everything rather well. I was honestly expecting him to go into a very loud, very dramatic rant about how everything was her fault, which he started to but stopped right away because he's that nice of a guy. It's not like he's wrong by saying it's Horo's fault (not entirely, but she hasn't helped), so that fact that he's not as angry at her as he could be is admirable.
Jan 31, 2010 8:51 PM

Aug 2009
Awww, Horo :'(

Lawrence needs to get his act together.
Jan 31, 2010 9:31 PM
Nov 2009
Winter said:
I actually thought he took everything rather well. I was honestly expecting him to go into a very loud, very dramatic rant about how everything was her fault, which he started to but stopped right away because he's that nice of a guy. It's not like he's wrong by saying it's Horo's fault (not entirely, but she hasn't helped), so that fact that he's not as angry at her as he could be is admirable.

He's obviously traumatized that he lashed out at her at all. Like you say, even a saint would have probably reacted more harshly. If I was a day or two away from being sold into slavery to cover my debts, I doubt not be anywhere near as collected as he is.

The way some people reacted to that "slap" you'd think they weren't paying attention to what they were watching at all. How much clearer could the anime possibly make it that he's in a LOT of trouble, and that Horo may have just single-handedly ruined his only legitimate way out of the problem?

Horo's not exactly deserving of sympathy, either. He told her that something like that would happen if she followed him, and she didn't trust him. And in the end, she just walked away from him when he's at his most vulnerable (what a great companion). I wouldn't be surprised to find him dead in the street the next morning, after doing something desperate.. he's got nothing to lose anymore and obviously isn't in the most rational state of mind.
Mar 10, 2010 9:13 PM

Nov 2008
Wow, great episode. I loved how it started and I enjoyed all the way to the end. I did not like how things turned out. Poor Holo, she did not deserve that. But I understand that Lawrance is feeling helpless and how everything is collapsing around.

Wonder how he is going to get out of this one. Perhaps that girl will come and do something for him.

I'm going to finish the last three episodes once I pass my final for the quarter.
Mar 12, 2010 9:06 AM

Aug 2008
Poor Lawrence. :(
I wonder why no one at the guild/city gates told him he's in deep shit.
Jun 24, 2010 1:30 PM

Dec 2009
The fact that everybody refused to help Lawrence only makes me love this show more . It has a fantasy feel but doesn't forget about the harsh reality either..
Jul 20, 2010 5:23 AM

Jul 2008
alwaysbored said:
The fact that everybody refused to help Lawrence only makes me love this show more . It has a fantasy feel but doesn't forget about the harsh reality either..

very true
Aug 12, 2010 11:10 AM

Mar 2008
Topspin said:
Winter said:

He's obviously traumatized that he lashed out at her at all. Like you say, even a saint would have probably reacted more harshly. If I was a day or two away from being sold into slavery to cover my debts, I doubt not be anywhere near as collected as he is.

The way some people reacted to that "slap" you'd think they weren't paying attention to what they were watching at all. How much clearer could the anime possibly make it that he's in a LOT of trouble, and that Horo may have just single-handedly ruined his only legitimate way out of the problem?

Horo's not exactly deserving of sympathy, either. He told her that something like that would happen if she followed him, and she didn't trust him. And in the end, she just walked away from him when he's at his most vulnerable (what a great companion). I wouldn't be surprised to find him dead in the street the next morning, after doing something desperate.. he's got nothing to lose anymore and obviously isn't in the most rational state of mind.

Couldn't have said it better than you guys.
Horo should have tried to help him already (meaning: she could have maybe tried to do some business, too.. while he's going around asking if someone could lend him some money). I can't sympathize with her much right now.. She act's kind of princess-like.. I mean, he gave her so much already and untill now she didn't even repay her own debt.. :/
Sep 29, 2010 6:37 PM

Sep 2008
... Someone save Lawrence!

Okay. Noora MUST be tied in with this somehow. It would be too weird if she was just introduced before this happened only to disappear.

Gah, feel terrible for Lawrence. Seems like he's got no way out... I'm sure he'll think of something, or Horo will. They'll get out of it safely, I'm positive. :D Still. Can't imagine the hardship and the horror...
Jan 22, 2011 4:35 PM

May 2010
I didn't really get it, but as long Holo is there everything will work out.
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Feb 21, 2011 9:48 AM
Nov 2009
poor lawrence :'( he got scammed D:
May 11, 2011 2:34 AM

Dec 2009
Those people are so mean. All of them refuse to help Lawrence when he was in trouble. Wondering how he get through of this~

Aug 3, 2011 9:57 AM

May 2011
Lawrence is sad, Horo is sad and now me is sad.

Needs more. >.>
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Oct 30, 2011 12:31 PM

Feb 2009
That was unexpected, The situation seems so desperate. Seriously this keeps getting bette and better.
Nov 17, 2011 9:23 PM

Dec 2010
What an episode... Lawrence sure felt like this for first time. It was sad thing to see how he snap out at Holo, but she really had to wait into the inn imo. I feel like Nora can help him - everyone's afraid of her, so I guess it's not that hard for her to scare his opponents... Anyway I don't doubt that Lawrence will get away with this situation, just because he's... Lawrence!
MeritasNov 18, 2011 4:35 AM
Jan 24, 2012 6:31 AM

Apr 2009
That was devastating. Poor Lawrence. In my opinion he was unnaturally calm under those circumstances so I really don't understand why people think the way he treated Holo was unreasonable especially when he immediately understood he was at fault.

It's a bit difficult to understand the thinking behind everyone's idea bringing Holo along shows he's not being sincere or something. Should he sell her expensive clothes and sell her to slavery or what? Or they thought he was fishing extra pity points by bringing a cute girl along?

The relationship between Holo and Lawrence is very interesting. If only I could stop thinking it makes Lawrence a borderline pedophile it would be perfect.

Oh, and now I feel silly about thinking Holo owned that guy. Well he got owned but he got lucky Lawrence wasn't up to date about the market. Though it's weird Lawrence wouldn't know about such big news.
VictimOfFateJan 24, 2012 8:37 AM
Jan 24, 2012 12:11 PM
Aug 2009
VictimOfFate said:
It's a bit difficult to understand the thinking behind everyone's idea bringing Holo along shows he's not being sincere or something.

He had the gall to flaunt her in front of them while begging for money. That's a bit distasteful, and sends mixed signals. Plus they're all pious people in this church town, so it's a bit suspicious for a traveling merchant to bring his out-of-wedlock girlfriend with him as if showing her off. Not to mention that it implies he was careless with his money, and probably got what he deserved (by paying attention to her rather than his livelihood).

VictimOfFate said:
It's weird Lawrence wouldn't know about such big news.

He travels between towns for days or weeks at a time, and rarely stays in an inn (they sleep on the cart for the most part, from what I can tell, not at inns/etc). So it's not likely he'd run into a lot of people who'd know the latest gossip. And it's likely the news was too new to have spread south, so it's probably just a matter of unfortunate timing.
Jan 25, 2012 1:15 AM

Apr 2009
BashZeStampeedo said:
they're all pious people in this church town, so it's a bit suspicious for a traveling merchant to bring his out-of-wedlock girlfriend with him as if showing her off. Not to mention that it implies he was careless with his money, and probably got what he deserved (by paying attention to her rather than his livelihood).

You are right. Outside this town attitude towards Holo was different so I was already getting used to it and thought it was universal but this town has particularly great influence from the views and values of the church.

BashZeStampeedo said:

it's not likely he'd run into a lot of people who'd know the latest gossip. And it's likely the news was too new to have spread south, so it's probably just a matter of unfortunate timing.

This is a bit more than minor gossip. The changing political situation involves traditions, heretics and military, it's something everyone would be interested in. And it had spread to the town where Lawrence got his armor at least to some extent since and I'd assume Lawrence makes most use of his visits in towns for information gathering since he's always on the move.

But it's possible the news hadn't spread to the town by the time Lawrence bought the armor on credit and the cheater also therefore only got to know Remerio's situation afterwards and it's all just very unfortunate timing rather than carelessness.
Jan 25, 2012 7:48 AM
Aug 2009
VictimOfFate said:
This is a bit more than minor gossip. The changing political situation involves traditions, heretics and military, it's something everyone would be interested in. And it had spread to the town where Lawrence got his armor at least to some extent since and I'd assume Lawrence makes most use of his visits in towns for information gathering since he's always on the move.

Yes, it is a bit of a puzzle, and seeing as how Remerio and others are hit pretty hard by the same news it's very likely that it was a last-minute decision that affected a LOT of people and not just Lawrence. But yes, Lawrence is probably also partly to blame for letting himself be distracted by Holo. But then maybe not.. if you don't mind a minor non-spoiler,
Feb 5, 2012 1:47 PM

Aug 2010
Being a merchant is suffering.
Feb 9, 2012 8:08 PM

Aug 2011
he was just frustrated he didn't mean to do it, but that doesn't mean i like that he did it either, holo(horo) will probably end up helping him like she usually does. go horo!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2012 4:46 PM

Sep 2011
Someone's stressed.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

146 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 17, 10:00 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

31 by Chronoes »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 25, 2008

319 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 16, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

153 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 18, 2008

133 by patkarunungan »»
Mar 30, 9:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.