Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 18, 2016 1:51 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Check out this thread for an introduction to what FAL is and its history.

Rules

The rules for the Spring 2016 season are now void and shall be replaced by the following rules:
  1. Each player will make a team by choosing 5 active anime and 2 bench anime from the Fall 2016 season, listed in the next post. Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
  2. Sequels can be used freely in your team. The anime Ajin 2nd Season, Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season, and Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou are special exceptions and will not be eligible to be selected as part of your team.
  3. The Fall season will start on October 2, 2016.
  4. Points will only accumulate within the 14 weeks this FAL season is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count toward a team's score. In addition, episode discussion forum posts that were posted before the FAL season starts will not count.
  5. Only the active anime on a team will score points; the bench anime will not score any points.
  6. A player may swap up to 3 anime during the entire FAL season and can only swap every 3 weeks. Click here to learn more about bench swaps. The only exception to this is through the use of the extra swap wildcard.
  7. Players will not be required to be active for the duration of the FAL season. Nor will they be required to actually watch the anime on their team. They will simply need to set a bracket at the beginning, let their anime rack up points, and swap benches and/or use the wildcard/aces when they feel it is beneficial to their score.
  8. In the event that 2 or more teams wind up with the same score at the end of the FAL season, their bench anime will be used as a tiebreaker. The team with the bench anime that score the most points during the entire FAL season will win.
  9. In the event that an anime has not begun airing by week 5, the anime will be disqualified and points will no longer be tallied for it. It will not be replaced with another anime.
  10. In the event that an anime’s database entry is removed after the FAL season has started, the anime will be disqualified and points will no longer be tallied for it. It will not be replaced with another anime.

The top 3 will be awarded with a banner for extra bragging rights!

If a player decides/needs to change their username while FAL is running, the FAL Staff must be notified immediately via private message to FALbot. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the player's username has been changed without notifying the staff!

Points Criteria

Automatically counted points:
The following points are counted without any input from the player over the course of the FAL season:
  • Weekly points:
    • +1 point for each user on MAL who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week.
    • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" and "Completed" points for the week if 3% or fewer of the teams have it included in their active anime.
    • +25 points for each forum post in the anime's episode discussion threads in the previous two weeks (counted every two weeks using the replies column and the number of threads found on the anime's discussion board).

• Additional points:
    • +3000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 3.
    • +6000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 7.
    • +9000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 10.
    • +12000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • −4 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 4.
    • −6 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 8.
    • −8 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 11.
    • −10 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +25 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 5.
    • +50 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 8.
    • +75 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 11 and at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +4000 points for the team that gets the highest unique score that week. A team may receive this bonus only 1 time per FAL season.
    • +2000 points for each English-speaking region that simulcasts the anime in English in each of the following regions: USA, Canada, UK/Ireland, and Australia/New Zealand. The regions must be confirmed on MAL News' official Fall 2016 Simulcast List thread. The number of companies that simulcast an anime is irrelevant; only which region(s) it gets simulcast in matter. Simulcast points are counted in week 5.
    • +10000 points if licensed in USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand upon week 13. This is restricted to 1 license per anime. Licenses shall be defined by MAL News' official Q4 2016 Anime Licenses thread and their sources. A home video release must be announced or heavily implied. Companies that solely get simulcasting licenses will be excluded. In the event that the thread’s OP has not been updated recently enough to include all credible sources linked in the threads’ comments, FAL staff will verify those sources and award points accordingly.
Strategically counted points:
The following points are determined based on the player's discretion.
  • Wildcard
    All players are given the opportunity to choose 1 of the following options as a wildcard starting on week 9 of the FAL season:
    1. The booster. Add a one-time 3000 point bonus to the team's score for the week.
    2. An extra swap. At a cost of 1500 points, immediately swap a bench anime with an active anime. To use this wildcard, the player must 1) send a PM saying he or she wants to use the wildcard swap and 2) post in the Bench Swaps thread as if the player were making a normal swap.
    3. The nuke (up version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team above or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    4. The nuke (down version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team below or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    The team rankings of the previous week will be used for a nuke. X = 6750 in weeks 9–12, 5750 in week 13, and 4750 in week 14. If a player uses the nuke and the rank above/below is shared by more than 1 team, the nuke receiver will be determined randomly.
  • Ace
    In any week of the FAL season, 1 active anime on a team may be declared as the "Ace." The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are counted. The player's team will receive:
    • +3000 points if the Ace becomes the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    • −3000 points if the Ace does not become the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Aces are available as soon as the FAL season begins.
    • Each anime on a team may be declared as an Ace only 1 time per FAL season.
    • Once an anime passes 50000 members in "Currently Watching" and "Completed" combined, the anime is no longer eligible to be an Ace. The anime with the next highest total points on the team will then be awarded points if correctly declared as the Ace.
A player may use Wildcards and Aces by PMing FALbot. Once a PM declaring a valid Wildcard or Ace for the week has been sent, the Wildcard or Ace may not change.

Registration

After you have read the rules, made your team, and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format. Copy and paste the anime titles from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL; do not make up another username.
Team: Username
AnimeTitle1
AnimeTitle2
AnimeTitle3
AnimeTitle4
AnimeTitle5
AnimeTitle6
AnimeTitle7
AnimeTitle#: These are the titles of eligible anime in the next post.
AnimeTitle6 and AnimeTitle7 are your bench anime.

For example:

Registration will need to be done before October 2nd, 19:00 UTC for your team to qualify. If there is a problem with this deadline, please feel free to contact the FAL Staff to discuss it.

If you change your mind after registering, you may change your team only 1 time until registration ends. Please send the new team in the same format to FALbot and use the message subject Re-registration.
_Ghost_Mar 26, 2017 12:04 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2016 1:52 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
The following anime are eligible this season with no exceptions:

12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki 2nd Season
3-gatsu no Lion
All Out!!
Anitore! XX
Ao Oni The Animation
Bloodivores
Brave Witches
Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin
Cheating Craft
ClassicaLoid
Drifters
Flip Flappers
Fune wo Amu
Gakuen Handsome
Gi(a)rlish Number
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Idol Memories
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki
Long Riders!
Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
Luger Code 1951
Magic Kyun! Renaissance
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara. 2nd Season
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On
Nanbaka
Natsume Yuujinchou Go
Nazotokine
Occultic;Nine
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
Show By Rock!! #
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Soul Buster
Soushin Shoujo Matoi
Stella no Mahou
Teekyuu 8
Tiger Mask W
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori
Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari
Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Legend Star
ViVid Strike!
Watashi ga Motete Dousunda
WWW.Working!!
Yuri!!! on Ice

The following anime are ineligible and may not be chosen:

Again, make sure you check the post above to read how to correctly register for the FAL Fall 2016 season. It is important to copy and paste the titles so that they match with the titles listed in our database.

If we are missing any anime or any of the above information is incorrect as it pertains to the Fall 2016 season, please let us know ASAP!
Sep 18, 2016 2:31 PM

Sep 2011
here we goooo
Sep 18, 2016 7:38 PM

Oct 2012
My goal is to be in the top 15... I won't be 16-20 this time!!
Sep 18, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2014
Nukes seem pretty degenerate, as they are not very good but allow timmy to have a large impact on your team without you having anyway to interact with them. I would far rather see something as an alternative to points and the extra wild card swap. I would like to see a way to boost the ace. This allows players who want to be risky, another outlet as well as allows players that are behind to potentially gain more points than they would otherwise. We could see something like Ace is either a +4000/-4000 or even something along the lines of +5000/-6000 where you need to 60%+ with the ace to be in the green. This risk needs to be within reason as having someone comeback from nothing is degenerate in itself. I would like to see the ace buff as something to get you a few more places than you otherwise would instead of a win the game. This would allow players in the mid-low tiers a way to do better and get them to feel like they are still apart of the game instead of saying I'm losing, I'm miserable I'm going to nuke the player above me and try and ruin him. This will make the community more positive as this will also encourage these members with these high-value aces to be more active in the community to allow better picks to allow their aces to be viable.

Edit: My other gripe is how you have blacklist shows that didn't have a very popular first season/are geared towards children. This seems to lower the skill cap as well as hinder possible black horses from leading the charge. It seems like a dumbing down of picks which seems counter-intuitive to you banning snap picks, which makes teams more diverse, requires a larger knowledge of MALs database and user base tendencies which is an increase in skill cap. I wish you would push this towards a higher skill cap with a larger focus on community and less of I'm losing, I nuke you and now I stop caring about this FAL.
Pixywing7Sep 18, 2016 10:13 PM
Sep 18, 2016 10:54 PM

Dec 2011
@Darkconfidant7 - there is a thread for making suggestions for changes here. With regards to your proposal, remember that you only get 1 wildcard, so an extra thousand points to your ace would be less points than just using the score boost wildcard. Then again, it would be super-easy to take advantage of this so it shouldn't be giving much more. +/-5k would probably be about right.

Also -
I'm losing, I nuke you and now I stop caring about this FAL.

This basically doesn't happen. People who lose interest generally do so well before week 9, for one thing. Most people who are still paying attention would rather do the best they can than hurt themselves in order to spite one other random player in the mid-rankings.
Oh, and they don't blacklist shows for not having a very popular first season. It's all based on PTW. And even with that you get shows with noone who isn't actively trying to lose having them on the list. And "trying to lose" would be made way too easy if you can flood your team with series that will have single or double digit watch figures unless they unexpectedly get picked up by crunchyroll (in which case their low scores and relatively high drop tallies from people with no actual interest in the series will likely make them worth having anyway).

Anyway, I need to have a look into the new series at some point. Goodness knows when I'll do that.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 18, 2016 11:03 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Darkconfidant7 said:
Nukes seem pretty degenerate, as they are not very good but allow timmy to have a large impact on your team without you having anyway to interact with them. I would far rather see something as an alternative to points and the extra wild card swap. I would like to see a way to boost the ace. This allows players who want to be risky, another outlet as well as allows players that are behind to potentially gain more points than they would otherwise. We could see something like Ace is either a +4000/-4000 or even something along the lines of +5000/-6000 where you need to 60%+ with the ace to be in the green. This risk needs to be within reason as having someone comeback from nothing is degenerate in itself. I would like to see the ace buff as something to get you a few more places than you otherwise would instead of a win the game. This would allow players in the mid-low tiers a way to do better and get them to feel like they are still apart of the game instead of saying I'm losing, I'm miserable I'm going to nuke the player above me and try and ruin him. This will make the community more positive as this will also encourage these members with these high-value aces to be more active in the community to allow better picks to allow their aces to be viable.

Edit: My other gripe is how you have blacklist shows that didn't have a very popular first season/are geared towards children. This seems to lower the skill cap as well as hinder possible black horses from leading the charge. It seems like a dumbing down of picks which seems counter-intuitive to you banning snap picks, which makes teams more diverse, requires a larger knowledge of MALs database and user base tendencies which is an increase in skill cap. I wish you would push this towards a higher skill cap with a larger focus on community and less of I'm losing, I nuke you and now I stop caring about this FAL.

Hello! While we appreciate feedback on how to improve the FAL experience and are receptive to it, the rules thread for the upcoming season is not the appropriate place for that. We have a Comments and Suggestions thread for that very purpose. In the future please use that thread for it.
Sep 19, 2016 2:56 AM

Jul 2007
HHopefully I can stay in the top 100 again, but with this season I'm not so confident.
Sep 19, 2016 4:00 PM

Apr 2013
Oh wow, it's already time for Fall? Gonna try to get my third top 10 finish this season. Haven't had one since 2014 :c

Expected a popular sequel limitation, but I guess blacklisting all three of them works too lol
Sep 20, 2016 1:50 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I did fine without even doing anything last season for my first time.

This time i'm going to try harder.

EDIT: Well shit, the choices for spring 2016 was pretty easy but this time its a little bit more diffcult.
Gonna have to take chances i guess :|
DatRandomDudeSep 20, 2016 2:05 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 20, 2016 2:41 PM

Aug 2015
I guess there's always a first time for everything :3
Sep 20, 2016 2:45 PM

Nov 2011
There's some tricky shows to pick this season. Going to try at least top 30 this time. My best was top 10 awhile ago.
Sep 20, 2016 7:15 PM

May 2016
I will probably try it, but I don't have the sense for that kind of thing.

What does Low PTW means?
Sep 20, 2016 7:29 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
swordmasterman said:

What does Low PTW means?
just that not a lot of people added them on their plan to watch list so its useless to add them in this FAL
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 20, 2016 8:56 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
DatRandomDude said:
swordmasterman said:

What does Low PTW means?
just that not a lot of people added them on their plan to watch list so its useless to add them in this FAL

Yes, pretty much. The "Plan to Watch" figures on each title's stats page play a big part in determining which shows will and won't be eligible. A lot of the shows made ineligible due to low/significantly low PTW are titles highly likely to have only single, double, or triple digit watching numbers all season long, though not all.
Sep 21, 2016 8:08 AM
Sep 2016
Hi, I'm pretty new here and this event is interesting, I'd like to register if possible but I'm not seeing a link to register
Sep 21, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2012
Lolisenpai-chan said:
Hi, I'm pretty new here and this event is interesting, I'd like to register if possible but I'm not seeing a link to register

Welcome! Send your team in a message to FALbot, in the format seen in the rules.
Sep 21, 2016 7:27 PM
Jul 2016
What do I put in as the subject of the message? First time here, don't wanna mess up the registration haha
Sep 21, 2016 7:32 PM

Sep 2011
Pravsy said:
What do I put in as the subject of the message? First time here, don't wanna mess up the registration haha
"FAL FALL 2016 Registration"
Sep 22, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2014
Just to clarify, shows that premiere on the 1st of October will still be counted in week 1 right?
Sep 22, 2016 6:23 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Red_Tuesday said:
Just to clarify, shows that premiere on the 1st of October will still be counted in week 1 right?

Any show listed here in bold at the top of the linked comment will be counted, even those that started before the season opens. the only thing to keep in mind is that, as stated in rule #4, posts in episode discussion threads made before 19:00 UTC October 2nd will not earn anyone any points because they were posted before the season started.
Sep 22, 2016 6:29 AM

Sep 2011
So I've seen it before - is there a reason (besides the fun of it) for someone trying to get last place? Is there something special with it? I'd assume on the banner it'd just say ya rank as normal - so no one would really even know ya managed to get last place. Or am I missin' something? >.< lol
Sep 22, 2016 9:46 AM

Dec 2011
riho88riho said:
So I've seen it before - is there a reason (besides the fun of it) for someone trying to get last place? Is there something special with it? I'd assume on the banner it'd just say ya rank as normal - so no one would really even know ya managed to get last place. Or am I missin' something? >.< lol

The fun of it is exactly the reason.
There was also a small off-site community that competed amongst themselves for the bottom spot for a couple of years.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 22, 2016 11:22 PM

Apr 2016
This looks really interesting, so count me in! :)
Sep 24, 2016 4:03 AM

Aug 2013
I lose interest after read rule number two...

Numi said:
The following anime are ineligible and may not be chosen:

lol

Sep 24, 2016 7:29 AM

Dec 2010
Finally back!
Sep 24, 2016 9:23 AM

Jan 2011
This looked like a good chance to score big or go bust this season...
For me, I always go for the ultimate low scoring.
Too many shows, too many games to play...
Yet I got lesser time.

It's a crazy world of gamer/watcher.
Sep 24, 2016 3:38 PM

Sep 2016
I am gonna try my luck with this for the first time.

Let's see how it goes.
Sep 24, 2016 9:33 PM

Sep 2012
Oh cool! Hopefully I can go better then last time I tried this.
Sep 25, 2016 3:50 AM

Feb 2012
Last fal I was third. This year, gunning for first
Sep 25, 2016 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Go team Red. Net those points.
Sep 25, 2016 7:42 AM
Sep 2016
sorry but i understand the ruls i cant see to understand the (game) F.A.L. it self
I am new in this place some help would be thankful
Sep 25, 2016 8:07 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
captaincrazy01 said:
sorry but i understand the ruls i cant see to understand the (game) F.A.L. it self

It's essentially a challenge about predicting which anime for the given season will be the most popular among MAL users, using a variety of factors such as watching/completed numbers, favorites, simulcast regions, home video licenses, discussion posts, and drop numbers. If you have more specific questions still I can attempt to answer those.
Sep 25, 2016 8:48 AM
Sep 2016
Numi said:
captaincrazy01 said:

It's essentially a challenge about predicting which anime for the given season will be the most popular among MAL users, using a variety of factors such as watching/completed numbers, favorites, simulcast regions, home video licenses, discussion posts, and drop numbers. If you have more specific questions still I can attempt to answer those.
and how i can find a team (i dont have friends in mal) or in IRL and how meny members the team requires
Sep 25, 2016 8:50 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
captaincrazy01 said:
and how i can find a team (i dont have friends in mal) or in IRL and how meny members the team required to be

It's not that kind of team. Everyone plays solo. Your team name is the same as your MAL username. To select your team, pick seven anime titles from the list of eligible titles here.
Sep 25, 2016 8:56 AM
Sep 2016
Numi said:
captaincrazy01 said:
and how i can find a team (i dont have friends in mal) or in IRL and how meny members the team required to be

It's not that kind of team. Everyone plays solo. Your team name is the same as your MAL username. To select your team, pick seven anime titles from the list of eligible titles here.
and then how i register?
and how i keep record?
Sep 25, 2016 9:11 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
captaincrazy01 said:
and then how i register?
and how i keep record?

The registration process is explained here under the header Registration. As for keeping record, FAL staff handle this. We will post weekly results every Sunday shortly after 19:00 UTC. It will include a detailed breakdown of all the points each eligible anime earned that week, and each team's rankings. The easiest way to stay on top of things is to join the Fantasy Anime League club and keep an eye out for notifications made by FAL staff in the club's comments whenever weekly results have gone live.
Sep 25, 2016 9:29 AM
Sep 2016
Numi said:
captaincrazy01 said:
and then how i register?
and how i keep record?

The registration process is explained here under the header Registration. As for keeping record, FAL staff handle this. We will post weekly results every Sunday shortly after 19:00 UTC. It will include a detailed breakdown of all the points each eligible anime earned that week, and each team's rankings. The easiest way to stay on top of things is to join the Fantasy Anime League club and keep an eye out for notifications made by FAL staff in the club's comments whenever weekly results have gone live.
thnx i think i got it
Sep 26, 2016 7:10 AM
Jan 2016
Where's Elsword El Lady? :/
Sep 26, 2016 5:23 PM

Feb 2012
LunaLorinaitis said:
Where's Elsword El Lady? :/
It has no set release date. Plus it's an ONA
Sep 27, 2016 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
dang it. I just put FAL in the subject am I going to be disqualified?
Sep 27, 2016 10:57 PM

Dec 2011
Taiga_Tail said:

Shouldn't be. The layout of the message is more important than the title, and I've put all sorts of odd stuff in there before.

to the staff - Is there going to be a thread listing who has signed up pre-season start this time around?
Sep 28, 2016 12:19 AM

Apr 2014
Here we go againn!

Good luck all~ Here's to a great season!
Sep 28, 2016 12:21 PM

Jan 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
Taiga_Tail said:

Shouldn't be. The layout of the message is more important than the title, and I've put all sorts of odd stuff in there before.

to the staff - Is there going to be a thread listing who has signed up pre-season start this time around?

Here is a link to the headcount thread. Click Me
Sep 28, 2016 2:52 PM
May 2016
I sent a registration to falbot but my username is not on headcount thread. Should I resend it or something?
Sep 28, 2016 11:35 PM
Aug 2012
Stark700 said:
There's some tricky shows to pick this season.

I hear you. To pick the Xebec butt anime or not to pick the butt anime... hard decisions...
Sep 28, 2016 11:38 PM
Aug 2012
Fonsie said:
I sent a registration to falbot but my username is not on headcount thread. Should I resend it or something?

The thread only updates like once or twice a day. Wait until it's updated (edit time is at the bottom of the post), and if you still don't see your name, contact the FAL staff.
Sep 29, 2016 3:41 AM
May 2016
Ayanami22 said:
Fonsie said:

The thread only updates like once or twice a day. Wait until it's updated (edit time is at the bottom of the post), and if you still don't see your name, contact the FAL staff.

OK thanks
Sep 29, 2016 9:40 AM

Jan 2010
Sounds like fun count me in. Hopefully it doesn't compromise my fantasy football seasons....lol.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Sep 29, 2016 10:17 PM
Oct 2013
Trying for an ambitious goal this time around.... TOP 20 Standing.... *crossing fingers*
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Profile Design (January 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Feb 4

7 by batslimeman »»
7 hours ago

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

7 by Nate »»
Apr 15, 11:52 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

7 by _Ayase »»
Apr 15, 10:49 AM

» Best Profile Design (March 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by Dyianaros »»
Apr 4, 4:58 PM

» FAL ace rule clarification

okthxbb - Apr 1

0 by okthxbb »»
Apr 1, 5:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.