Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Apr 2010
im watchin D.N.A² right now^^ really love it^^
Apr 12, 2010 4:20 PM

Dec 2007
G Gundam.

I'm still trying to figure out if the shock is due to horror or not.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 12, 2010 5:05 PM
Jun 2007
Galaxy Express 999 - 8 episodes in and still waiting for something to catch my interest.
A good thing it's of an episodic nature so that a change of pace would keep me going for maybe another 12 or so episodes before deciding to continue or drop it.

Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - a completely different atmosphere from the grim/dark Zeta Gundam. All the silliness going on just took me aback (not to mention the very first line of the OP theme).
Apr 12, 2010 5:12 PM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:
G Gundam.

I'm still trying to figure out if the shock is due to horror or not.

Ahhh. I'm curious as ever about G Gundam now. :D

Avarice said:
Galaxy Express 999 - 8 episodes in and still waiting for something to catch my interest.
A good thing it's of an episodic nature so that a change of pace would keep me going for maybe another 12 or so episodes before deciding to continue or drop it.

What you got is a sample of what you'll continue to get. It's one of those series that'll grab you if you continue watching it, and while at it, you need to watch it with the proper state of mind too if you weren't with one initially. I believe that if you bear with it, you'll be awarded. :)

Avarice said:
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - a completely different atmosphere from the grim/dark Zeta Gundam. All the silliness going on just took me aback (not to mention the very first line of the OP theme).
Tomino tried to drop the dark feel of Zeta and do something with high spirits, but along the way he got back on his shoes and the series improved substantially. But don't expect another Zeta Gundam.
Apr 13, 2010 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, the Earth/drop arc in ZZ is perhaps better than even the best arc's in Zeta, that part was really good. The rest... you end up having to stomach a lot. Also prepare for most random death's ever, not that it's "Kill Em' All" Tomino, but there were a few that just made no sense and no characters cared at all.

I have a hunch Xabungle and L-Gaim are the much better "Goofy but slightly serious at times" Tomino shows.
Apr 13, 2010 2:22 PM

Dec 2007
Well, I loved ZZ. It was really... Refreshing. My favs are Zeta, 0080 and ZZ, I wonder what this reveals about me...

Was only sad that some details were not clarified... Almost could say they were forgotten. Also, Haman rules and she's a long term project for when I gain talent. :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 13, 2010 2:59 PM

Apr 2008
Echelon said:

I have a hunch Xabungle and L-Gaim are the much better "Goofy but slightly serious at times" Tomino shows.
I stalled my viewing of Xabungle, but from what i've seen it doesn't seem so goofy as the first part of ZZ nor L-Gaim, yes, L-Gaim is in the same vein as ZZ if not a little for the worse. But you'll eventually see it for yourself sooner or later.
Apr 13, 2010 7:32 PM
Nov 2007
I started watching Future GPX Cyber Formula and I really enjoy it. It makes me wish it was a show from my childhood, because it would fit right in with some of my favorites from back then.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1391/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula

I was wondering if anyone here knows what this is:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1396/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula:_Early_Days_Renewal
Apr 16, 2010 1:16 PM
Jun 2007
Echelon said:
Yeah, the Earth/drop arc in ZZ is perhaps better than even the best arc's in Zeta, that part was really good. The rest... you end up having to stomach a lot. Also prepare for most random death's ever, not that it's "Kill Em' All" Tomino, but there were a few that just made no sense and no characters cared at all.

Currently on episode 29 and I agree with what you said, this Earth/drop arc is damn good. This series is really growing on me. At first, I thought that the silliness and goofiness at the beginning of the series was a major con, but right now, it's looking like it will counterbalance some of the more gruesome stuff later on.

Also, episode 28 made me FFFFFF-
Apr 20, 2010 2:12 AM

Mar 2009
Just started Armored Trooper Votoms and I am quite surprised I am actually enjoying it - but then I really liked Gasaraki

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Apr 20, 2010 3:04 AM

Dec 2009
RobdeFR said:
Echelon said:

I stalled my viewing of Xabungle, but from what i've seen it doesn't seem so goofy as the first part of ZZ nor L-Gaim, yes, L-Gaim is in the same vein as ZZ if not a little for the worse. But you'll eventually see it for yourself sooner or later.

I didn't realise L-Gaim was a goofy Tomino show, I thought it was a serious one in the vein of SPT Layzner.

On the subject of interesting mecha shows, I'm interested in watching Panzer World Galient now it's being subbed (albeit slowly.)

Has anyone seen the raws or the already subbed episodes?

As to the shows I'm currently watching, at some point I should finish watching Salamander, that was pretty interesting.
Apr 20, 2010 3:44 AM

Apr 2008
I'm also watching Galient. A somewhat different setting wit a kid piloting the mecha knight and so far it has managed to catch my attention. I don't think it's on a Votoms level but it can possibly compete with Layzner in the "Takahashi top."
May 6, 2010 10:38 AM

Oct 2009
Gundam '79 still ongoing, I'm at episode 22. The series just gets more interesting, though Char has disappeared somewhere.

I've also been rewatching the early episodes of Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, to kinda celebrate the release of the manga in Finnish.
May 6, 2010 1:39 PM

Apr 2008
I envy you Goldenboy. You're in for an unforgettable epic ride if you watch Zeta and ZZ after the original series.

I've had my eye on Silver Fang for some time, I don't know why but whenever I read that title, "Tezuka work" would pop in my mind, but it isn't a Tezuka work. But still definitely interesting to say the least.
May 7, 2010 9:42 AM

Oct 2009
RobdeFR said:
I envy you Goldenboy. You're in for an unforgettable epic ride if you watch Zeta and ZZ after the original series.

I've had my eye on Silver Fang for some time, I don't know why but whenever I read that title, "Tezuka work" would pop in my mind, but it isn't a Tezuka work. But still definitely interesting to say the least.

Yeah, I think I will watch Zeta and ZZ too, I've heard so much good about them.

And I really recommend GNG, both the manga and the anime, it's complete with good old-fashioned action and great characters. And the main characters being dogs makes the series kinda extraordinary and unique, though not too extraordinary to be entertaining.
May 7, 2010 10:53 AM

Apr 2008
Thanks for the reminder. I'll put it on my neverending "plan to watch list". :D
May 26, 2010 1:20 PM

May 2010
I'm watching L-Gaim, Dirty Pair, and SDF Macross(in its' original form).
May 26, 2010 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
kanon-chan said:
I'm watching L-Gaim, Dirty Pair, and SDF Macross(in its' original form).

Well done in watching Macross!!! One of my favourites of all time.

Currently I'm watching Ideon and Golion
Jun 2, 2010 11:08 AM

Dec 2009
6 episodes into Maison Ikkoku and I'll be damned if it isn't the sweetest and most heartwarming show I've seen. It manages to be cute and slice-of-life but also a bit racy and adult - and there isn't a moe-bait character in sight. It's really good to have a romantic comedy show about older people rather than high-schoolers and their problems.

Also, as a student I can see a lot of my friends in the characters - I think everyone has a Yotsuya and Akemi they know - and my neighbour is acting hilariously like Godai now finals are here.
Jun 2, 2010 11:34 AM

Nov 2007
The highlights so far would have to be Yotsuya busting down the wall and Godai's yatta dance outside of Kyoko's door. *laughs*
HisokaHajimeJun 2, 2010 12:08 PM
Jun 2, 2010 11:59 AM

Feb 2008
Hisoka knows all.

But man, that show escalates like LOGH. It just gets better and better.
Jun 2, 2010 5:12 PM

Apr 2008
MS06FZ said:
6 episodes into Maison Ikkoku and I'll be damned if it isn't the sweetest and most heartwarming show I've seen. It manages to be cute and slice-of-life but also a bit racy and adult - and there isn't a moe-bait character in sight. It's really good to have a romantic comedy show about older people rather than high-schoolers and their problems.

Also, as a student I can see a lot of my friends in the characters - I think everyone has a Yotsuya and Akemi they know - and my neighbour is acting hilariously like Godai now finals are here.

Indeed. I have seen people that have watched that show when they were younger and they keep saying how bad it was and then I say to them that they need to watch it now as adults. It portrays adult themes mainly for early twenties and it's hard not to relate with any of the scenes and hilarious situations no matter how over the top they might be in the anime.

It's usually called Shounen, but it's Seinen all the way for me.
Jun 4, 2010 3:43 PM

Dec 2009
Well, I'm 3 episodes into Rose of Versailles and to be honest it's not gripping me as much as I'd have thought.

It's really good, and I like Oskar as a character, but I had more fun watching LoGH and I was more hooked by it.

That said I can see why it's a classic.
Jun 4, 2010 8:49 PM

Apr 2008
If you're only 3 episodes into Oscar, you only have seen the seventies Shoujo aspect of it. So you have to have tolerance if not, liking, to the seventies Shoujo genre to be able to appreciate Lady Oscar when it begins to shine. ;)
Jun 5, 2010 2:01 AM

Feb 2008
Yep, trust us... heh. I think the real hook comes in around episode 10 or so (was for me), and it's definitely LOGH tier stuff for the last arc.
Jun 5, 2010 8:36 AM

Dec 2009
RobdeFR said:
If you're only 3 episodes into Oscar, you only have seen the seventies Shoujo aspect of it. So you have to have tolerance if not, liking, to the seventies Shoujo genre to be able to appreciate Lady Oscar when it begins to shine. ;)

As it is it's reminding me of the highschool drama parts of Utena, what with the bitchiness and glamour.

Hopefully in time it will become more like the courtly intrigue arcs of LoGH - I thought the assassination plot against Reinhard's sister was one of the best arcs.
Jun 5, 2010 10:05 AM

Oct 2009
MS06FZ said:
RobdeFR said:

As it is it's reminding me of the highschool drama parts of Utena, what with the bitchiness and glamour.

I, too, assure you that RoV gets better after the first episodes and turns out be one of the greatest anime classics of all time. Trust us.
Jun 5, 2010 10:19 AM

Apr 2008
Jun 5, 2010 3:42 PM

Apr 2007
Just started to watch Da Garn here due to one of the guys on IRC waxing lyrical about it every time a discussion on the Braves series came up. Apparently it's the most plot-driven of the Braves series, to the point the toy company sponsoring it got very wound up, eventually culminating in the imfamously meta ending of the next series, Might Gaine. 5 episodes in and it hasn't felt monster of the weeky or "I'm watching a 25 minute toy commercial yet", unlike Fighbird which managed that in episode 2.

It's interesting to see how it's between the first 2 Braves series (Exkaiser and Fighbird), which had alien energy beings controlling the mecha, and the sequel series Might Gaine and J-Decker which have human built AIs. In Da Garn the mecha are controlled by what could be described as spirits of the Earth.

Also for some reason I love the opening.

If you don't know what the Braves series is, it's a glorified toy commercial with wish fulfilment elements for it's target audience of 10 year old boys, with the exception of Dagwon which also tried to appeal to their teenage sisters and mothers as well.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jun 5, 2010 4:06 PM

Dec 2009
starseeker said:
Just started to watch Da Garn here due to one of the guys on IRC waxing lyrical about it every time a discussion on the Braves series came up. Apparently it's the most plot-driven of the Braves series, to the point the toy company sponsoring it got very wound up, eventually culminating in the imfamously meta ending of the next series, Might Gaine. 5 episodes in and it hasn't felt monster of the weeky or "I'm watching a 25 minute toy commercial yet", unlike Fighbird which managed that in episode 2.

It's interesting to see how it's between the first 2 Braves series (Exkaiser and Fighbird), which had alien energy beings controlling the mecha, and the sequel series Might Gaine and J-Decker which have human built AIs. In Da Garn the mecha are controlled by what could be described as spirits of the Earth.

Also for some reason I love the opening.

If you don't know what the Braves series is, it's a glorified toy commercial with wish fulfilment elements for it's target audience of 10 year old boys, with the exception of Dagwon which also tried to appeal to their teenage sisters and mothers as well.

Could you explain what you mean about Might Gaine's ending?

All I know is it's a show about a lot of train robots which has a bunch of weird villains including Grandis a gourmet jewel thief.
Jun 5, 2010 11:09 PM

Apr 2007
Might Gaine's ending

Relationships between the writers and the toy company got pretty bad.
starseekerJun 5, 2010 11:33 PM
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jun 6, 2010 1:45 AM

Feb 2008
I finally picked up the Dirty Pair OVA again. After replacing my downloaded set with like three other sets... finally settled for the Henshin set. Had some problems with the other sets. The quality of this one is absolutely ridiculous though! Insanely awesome.

And started Iczer... uh, wtf? That's all I can really say after the first episode.
Jun 6, 2010 2:57 AM

Dec 2009
starseeker said:
Might Gaine's ending

Relationships between the writers and the toy company got pretty bad.

That's amazing, I love it.
Jun 6, 2010 7:23 AM

Apr 2008
Echelon said:
I finally picked up the Dirty Pair OVA again. After replacing my downloaded set with like three other sets... finally settled for the Henshin set. Had some problems with the other sets. The quality of this one is absolutely ridiculous though! Insanely awesome.

And started Iczer... uh, wtf? That's all I can really say after the first episode.

Yeah, I can't really describe Iczer either, but I can say that I barely survived the first episode of the second OVA and don't have plans to pick it again so soon.
Jun 6, 2010 10:11 AM

Feb 2010
I can describe Iczer as something different since it's trying to "mix" some elements of Cthulu mythology with a mecha story and female protagonists. The term "wtf" is something that you can say watching this! Lol.... I haven't seen the other 2 OVAs after the first but I'm planning to do that in the near future.
Jul 17, 2010 4:31 PM

Dec 2009
I started watching Dunbine recently and it's certainly an odd show. The colour scheme is very vibrant and not at all subdued like something like Dougram. Plus the bug robots and the forest shenanigans are reminding me a lot of the much later V Gundam, while the characters are very Ideon-esque.

In other news, Rose of Versailles is still awesome.
Aug 3, 2010 10:29 AM

Apr 2008
I started watching Nobody's Boy Remi 1977 series by Dezaki and I was impressed with the quality of it as was already expected. The background art was very good, and the usual great character designs of Osamu Dezaki partner Akio Sugino were even more lovely in this series than on any other series I've seen of them.

I've been watching it streamed on ANN, the quality is quite good and I would enjoy it more to watch it non streamed on my computer because the stream on my computer freezes sometimes, but so far I only find software that downloads from Utube and not ANN, such a bother.

A good amount of Drama awaits me here.
Aug 3, 2010 2:18 PM

May 2010
Recently I have gotten into watching the Gall Force anime series and I've also watched Fight! Iczer-One. Truly amazing titles with strong and admirable female protagonists, not like the ones seen in today's anime that's being produced.

Also I have gotten to watching LOGH recently, pretty epic series from what I've seen so far and I like Reinhard and Wen Li, the both of them are pretty interesting characters.
Aug 3, 2010 4:53 PM

Apr 2008
Great titles there guys. LOGH and Versailles are godly series and have the approval of the Old School Anime Club.

Good to know that you kept up with Versailles MS06FZ, but what happened with your viewing of Maison Ikkoku? On Hold?
RobdeFRAug 3, 2010 5:09 PM
Aug 3, 2010 5:29 PM

Nov 2007
RobdeFR said:

A good amount of Drama awaits me here.

=)

Does it ever.
Aug 3, 2010 11:50 PM

Feb 2008
MS06FZ said:
I started watching Dunbine recently and it's certainly an odd show. The colour scheme is very vibrant and not at all subdued like something like Dougram. Plus the bug robots and the forest shenanigans are reminding me a lot of the much later V Gundam, while the characters are very Ideon-esque.

Dunbine has its ups and downs. I thought it was VERY sluggish in the 30's, but the last 10 or so episodes (in Tomino fashion) get pretty ridiculous and epic. To be honest I thought the final stretch was more intense than Zeta's (I like to compare them since they felt like they were trying to get the same idea across by the end).

I look back at Dunbine and can say it was worth it, like ZZ, but yeah. They really didn't dive into developing the world too much, which was disappointing since it had potential.

On a hilarious note, you'll probably love hearing Wakamoto voice about 20 background characters and such, haha.

Is Remi up for download anywhere? This quality looks incredible. I noticed that ANN only lists 40 episodes from what I'm seeing, though MAL says it's 51? I could use more awesome Dezaki.
EchelonAug 4, 2010 12:31 AM
Aug 4, 2010 1:40 AM

Jan 2008
Echelon said:
Is Remi up for download anywhere? This quality looks incredible. I noticed that ANN only lists 40 episodes from what I'm seeing, though MAL says it's 51? I could use more awesome Dezaki.

Someone (ImagAsian or something like that) put it out on the cheap a few years back along with Cats Eye and Orguss but they seemed to go out of print overnight. However I think they completed all three of the series, so you can probably find a torrent somewhere.

Also it is a 51 episode series, ANN only has the first 40 up for streaming, they've been putting them up every week or so in 5 episode batches, so if you're unable to find a torrent you can just wait a bit longer and watch it there.
Aug 4, 2010 2:48 AM

Apr 2008
Yeah, I'm watching it on ANN. The direction is so good. The scenes and angles and animation movements. I'm having that "Versailles vibe" in this direction, still we haven't the "dramatic stills" as in Versailles with the villainous characters but the rest has that Dezaki trademark direction. Every minute of it is like gold.

So far we have 40 episodes, but in more 2 weeks, the whole series will probably be completed online. Torrents may come some months after like happened with Galaxy Express.
I tried to use some program that usually rips Youtube but it didn't work on ANN.

Dremark said:

Someone (ImagAsian or something like that) put it out on the cheap a few years back along with Cats Eye and Orguss but they seemed to go out of print overnight. However I think they completed all three of the series, so you can probably find a torrent somewhere.
From what I gather, there were only 26 episodes released of Cats Eye, though I would prefer to see it completed.

But if anyone sees it completed anywhere, warn us immediately.
Aug 4, 2010 9:00 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah seriously, I got my ImagineAsian copies one day and they were literally GONE the next. I loved what that company was doing, but not enough people were buying from them. They also ran into a distributing problem they were never able to rebound from. A real shame. The excitement of seeing those three titles licensed was HIGH and I kept looking at the TMS library for all the other amazing possibilities. But it wasn't to be...

They released up to episode 36 of Cat's Eye which is the half way point. When I was watching it earlier this year, I couldn't find 37-72 anywhere. But the other day I found a few random sites selling the HK box set for around $40-50. I was hoping for a torrent of those files instead but I might eventually have to bite the bullet on that.

I find it so weird that Remi is getting attention. *laughs* Not from you guys, but from a site like ANN where now tons of people know what it is over night.
Aug 4, 2010 7:04 PM

Apr 2008
I don't usually check on ANN boards since it's mostly directed at american public. But it's nice that it's finally getting some attention over there.
I know that it had some attention and still has some love in some countries like Spain and France, but sadly unlike other old anime series in their time it never made it to my country, but I'm trying to fix that up now.
Aug 4, 2010 7:10 PM

Jan 2008
RobdeFR said:
From what I gather, there were only 26 episodes released of Cats Eye, though I would prefer to see it completed.

But if anyone sees it completed anywhere, warn us immediately.

My mistake, I didn't take into account how much longer Cat's Eye is than that other two. Too bad that no one else has bothered to sub the rest, I've only seen an episode or two, but it was a pretty fun show.

HisokaHajime said:
Yeah seriously, I got my ImagineAsian copies one day and they were literally GONE the next. I loved what that company was doing, but not enough people were buying from them. They also ran into a distributing problem they were never able to rebound from. A real shame. The excitement of seeing those three titles licensed was HIGH and I kept looking at the TMS library for all the other amazing possibilities. But it wasn't to be...

It really is a shame. I was waiting for the series to finish and when i actually realized that they were all out they were impossible to find at that point. It seemed like they were mainly using the license to air them on TV so the discs were dirt cheap too.

In retrospect it might have gone a bit better if they started with titles that were a bit more well known outside of Japan, but I really can't fault them as they were one of the very few companies that actually tried to bring over a bunch of classic shows.
Aug 4, 2010 7:52 PM

Aug 2007
MS06FZ said:

Dunbine had an interesting premise, but it was not executed very well at all. It really fell apart for me during the last half, and there were several plot holes that were sloppily ignored or forgotten about by the writers.

I'm not saying it's not worth a watch, I just think it was a pretty disappointing series, not Tomino's best work.

Aug 4, 2010 11:09 PM

Aug 2008
As for Cat's Eye - there is the whole series - http://www.fapis.com/entry.html?id=14978. You can read in comments about the quality of translation. To me this torrent is kind of crappy. English translation of the second season blow my brain . Even my poor knowing of japanese makes me think that something wrong. So I stalled watching the series untill I buy dvd.

P.S: I know the torrent to the raw of second season if anyone is interested.
Aug 22, 2010 10:44 PM

Feb 2008
I'm loving the heck out of Orguss now. Finally clicked I guess, heh.
Aug 24, 2010 11:28 AM

Aug 2007
Some might not consider it 'old school'(even though I do at this point), but after Monster I'll be starting on Marmalade Boy and Zambot 3

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2253 by JohnnyChuck »»
Apr 21, 8:08 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.