Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2010 11:52 AM

Feb 2008
I'm guessing they have somewhat of a DB/Z feel to them, so I hope they're good!
Oct 10, 2010 12:33 PM

Nov 2007
Been wanting to see Dragon Quest for so long.
Nov 16, 2010 5:53 AM

Apr 2008
I watched the first Maicching Machiko Sensei episode that was recently subbed by anime rg and ray=out.

As expected it turned out to be a pretty ecchi and leecherous orientated anime. But as it is an Old School ecchi anime, it's naturally more easy to watch for me. The characters while not great are pleasant, It's a story about a pretty new teacher and her lecherous students who like to play pranks on her. The teacher doesn't seem to mind most of these pranks and even retaliate in a good mood. As you may guess these pranks end up mostly on showing the teacher panties than any other thing and sometimes it feels a little exaggerated, they must have show the teacher panties some 10 times on the first episode or more.

But it is a funny old school anime, I hope the fansubs continues with it.
Nov 16, 2010 6:10 AM

May 2010
I'm now watching Kimagure Orange Road, I like the series so far, pretty fun to watch and by far Madoka is my favorite character of the series.
Dec 7, 2010 6:23 AM

Apr 2008
Anyone here watching Shokoujo Sarah? I'm in love with the series as of now.
Dec 28, 2010 5:16 PM

Jun 2009
just started watching space runaway ideon

20 eps in and it's not too bad. it took a LONG time for me to start liking this show. mainly because of how slow the pacing is and how unlikable most of the characters are (i've gotten used to them now, but god where they a pain). will continue watching only because of the ending. lol ;D
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jan 22, 2011 4:41 PM

Feb 2008
Over half way into Zambot and this show just isn't doing anything for me at all. I'm usually a little more easy going on Tomino than most viewers, but the pacing is just way too messed up for me, not to mention I think if the show had a different main character, that'd easily boost my interest by tenfold as well. I can't stand Kappei or his voice actor at all (first time I've complained about something like this too).

So I'm trying to take it at one episode a day just to finish it.

I've also been curious about the other non-Tomino SR shows of the 70's, and so with Deservesubs putting out some nice new releases of Mazinger Z, I figured what the heck and checked it out ... and wow, I'm liking it so much more than Zambot it's crazy.
Jan 22, 2011 4:54 PM

Apr 2007
Echelon said:
Over half way into Zambot and this show just isn't doing anything for me at all. I'm usually a little more easy going on Tomino than most viewers, but the pacing is just way too messed up for me, not to mention I think if the show had a different main character, that'd easily boost my interest by tenfold as well. I can't stand Kappei or his voice actor at all (first time I've complained about something like this too).

So I'm trying to take it at one episode a day just to finish it.

I've also been curious about the other non-Tomino SR shows of the 70's, and so with Deservesubs putting out some nice new releases of Mazinger Z, I figured what the heck and checked it out ... and wow, I'm liking it so much more than Zambot it's crazy.

Yeah my main issue with Zambot 3 was I spent most of the series wanting someone to slap Kappei.

I'll probably watch some bits of Mazinger Z (the shortlist of episodes) at some point to see how the bits the manga skipped over happened.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jan 23, 2011 4:43 PM

Apr 2008
I will get to the Mazinger manga eventually, I can't stop loving Nagai stuff. But every Mazinger episode is a lot of fun to watch so it deserves a nice viewing on my part even if it is full of fillers.
Jan 23, 2011 4:57 PM

Apr 2007
RobdeFR said:
I will get to the Mazinger manga eventually, I can't stop loving Nagai stuff. But every Mazinger episode is a lot of fun to watch so it deserves a nice viewing on my part even if it is full of fillers.

Only the first 2 manga volumes and the last volume are what I'd call really good, volume 3,4 and some of 5 work off the assumption you're watching the anime so important stuff like Boss Borot and the Scrander come out of nowhere in the manga.
Also the series ending is in the Great Mazinger manga (first half of the first volume of that is Mazinger Z's ending, it's a 2 volume manga), which I'm still slowly working on.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jan 23, 2011 5:36 PM

Apr 2008
Great to know about it. This reminds me that I have Devilman on my hdd since a good while ago too, waiting to be read.
Jan 24, 2011 8:56 AM

Aug 2007
Not an 'oldschool' anime, technically. But I'm watching the Tetsujin 28 remake that came out in 2004, it's definitely got that Giant Robo Spirit. Love it's over the top nature, contrasting with a rather dark situation.

Jan 24, 2011 10:58 AM

Apr 2008
Jan 26, 2011 1:03 AM

Feb 2008
The WMT fever hit me recently so I'm diving into Perrine right now. So far totally loving it, same author and same composer from Remi, heck yeah. The vibe is just so awesome and the pacing is great, so easy to watch these kinds of shows and I'm guessing that's gonna be the case with the whole genre for me, heh.
Jan 26, 2011 2:05 PM

Apr 2008
Nice to hear it. I'm in a re-watch mood right now. :D
Feb 6, 2011 1:00 AM

Feb 2008
Figured I'd keep up with nanto's releases of the original Casshern, I went in pretty excited about it and was not let down at all. Seems great so far and I just love how you can see all the idea and influences that would later appear in Mega Man (a long time fan of those games), hehe.

Braiking Boss looks like Sigma!
Feb 11, 2011 9:06 PM

Feb 2008
Absolutely loving Treasure Island so far, anyone else pick it up now that Takara finished subbing it?
Feb 12, 2011 3:05 AM

Apr 2008
Feb 14, 2011 10:32 AM

Dec 2009
"Over half way into Zambot and this show just isn't doing anything for me at all. I'm usually a little more easy going on Tomino than most viewers, but the pacing is just way too messed up for me, not to mention I think if the show had a different main character, that'd easily boost my interest by tenfold as well. I can't stand Kappei or his voice actor at all (first time I've complained about something like this too)."

If anything, Kappei is an example of Tomino doing too well at creating a loathsome brat of a character, he's up there with Quess Paraya, Hathaway Noa and Katz Kobayashi!

He pretty much is what would happen if you gave a precocious kid a weapon of mass destruction and then said "hey, you're the kid who can save the entire universe" - he has a major attitude problem!
Mar 4, 2011 4:37 PM

Jun 2009
Echelon said:
Absolutely loving Treasure Island so far, anyone else pick it up now that Takara finished subbing it?

RobdeFR said:
Me. :D

I started Takarajima today and I'm totally blown away - I just can't stop watching it! I've read the book 3-4 times, it was one of my favourites and probably still is. Even if I know what will happen further and the ending I still want to watch more. I also enjoy that the series tend towards more comical side compared to the book. Yo-ho-ho!
Mar 12, 2011 10:50 AM

Oct 2009
I bought the Hello! Sandybell box to support the very rare retro releases in here and I just finished the first disc. They had to cram 8 episodes into a single disc, so no wonder the picture quality suffers a bit, but other than that it's a good release. It's a very girly show, but it has its charm, not to mention Yuriko Yamamoto, Mami Koyama and Kaneto Shiozawa!
Mar 18, 2011 7:07 PM

Apr 2008
konnakude said:

I started Takarajima today and I'm totally blown away - I just can't stop watching it! I've read the book 3-4 times, it was one of my favourites and probably still is. Even if I know what will happen further and the ending I still want to watch more. I also enjoy that the series tend towards more comical side compared to the book. Yo-ho-ho!
Nice to know it. I'll be interested in eharing your words on the anime.

GoldenBoy55 said:
I bought the Hello! Sandybell box to support the very rare retro releases in here and I just finished the first disc. They had to cram 8 episodes into a single disc, so no wonder the picture quality suffers a bit, but other than that it's a good release. It's a very girly show, but it has its charm, not to mention Yuriko Yamamoto, Mami Koyama and Kaneto Shiozawa!
Sandybell looks interesting.

We have to support whatever we can. I do so too around here with our releases, sometimes we get a really crappy treatment, but it's better than nothing. There are alot of people that argue that we must not support those releases, but I do think that if we don't buy those we'll not have anything more on the same field so soon again.
RobdeFRMar 18, 2011 7:13 PM
Mar 19, 2011 4:02 PM

Feb 2008
It's on the border (1994-1996), but I'm finally in the mood to jump back into more Tylor and watching the OVA now. First episode (the movie long Tylor's War) was really awesome.

Tylor vs Yang Wenli would be an epic match. I think it'd end up with the two sitting at the same bar sharing some drinks and having fun.
Mar 19, 2011 6:10 PM
Feb 2011
i re working my Way thought the Back Catalogue of Go Nagai
Mar 20, 2011 7:06 AM

Apr 2008
Gokaired said:
i re working my Way thought the Back Catalogue of Go Nagai
It's quite vast. Which ones are you going through? Devilman? Mazinger? Cutey Honey?
Mar 20, 2011 11:26 AM

Oct 2009
RobdeFR said:
We have to support whatever we can. I do so too around here with our releases, sometimes we get a really crappy treatment, but it's better than nothing. There are alot of people that argue that we must not support those releases, but I do think that if we don't buy those we'll not have anything more on the same field so soon again.

After Cobra and Sandybell, we'll also get the Galaxy Express 999 TV series, though no date has been announced. The subtitles haven't been that great, but other than that, they've been quality releases. And they come with the original Japanese audio, which is a welcome but odd feature, because the Swedish releases seem to only have the dubbed version.
Mar 22, 2011 2:07 PM

Jun 2009
GoldenBoy55 said:
After Cobra and Sandybell, we'll also get the Galaxy Express 999 TV series, though no date has been announced. The subtitles haven't been that great, but other than that, they've been quality releases. And they come with the original Japanese audio, which is a welcome but odd feature, because the Swedish releases seem to only have the dubbed version.

Ha ha, I've got myself Leda and one Galaxy Express movie Swedish dubbed which I must say was quite odd and funny experience but if you take it to account that they cost approximately 1 Euro each I consider it's still a bargain. Thanks god that they don't dub anime anymore or at least you can choose subs option.

BTW where did you find Sandybell box? Cause I searched everywhere and I've found only separate dvds from 1 to 9.
Mar 25, 2011 11:55 AM

Oct 2009
konnakude said:

BTW where did you find Sandybell box? Cause I searched everywhere and I've found only separate dvds from 1 to 9.

I just bought it from a local market a little after it was released.
Mar 25, 2011 3:01 PM

Jun 2009
GoldenBoy55 said:
I just bought it from a local market a little after it was released.

You have a great market then! Thanks! I've never seen it in the shops here only on the net. I suspect that I've to buy dvd-s from 1 to 9. But it'll cost anyway for about 44 Euro or 40 £ in total and I consider it's a bargain.
Aug 9, 2011 11:19 AM

Oct 2009
So recently I've been watching Voltes V. Prior to starting to watch it, I read that it was one of the first mecha series to have these "Gundam-like" qualities such as a villain who has some character development and that it also has darker and more serious aspects to it. And it does.

In the first episode the five main characters are almost treated like they're supposed to familiar to the viewer somehow and the whole show appears very generic. That, however, starts to change later on, when we actually learn a little about the main villain, Prince Heinel, and his motives. Also, one of Heinel's underlings, Zuhl, conspires against him and Kenichi and rest of the Voltes team lose some of their loved ones. The speculation whether or not professor Go, the father of Kenichi, Daijirou and Hiyoshi, has betrayed the Earth adds mystery and drama to the series in a way I didn't know to expect when I began watching it.

Of course, Voltes V lacks the sort-of-realism of Gundam, LOGH and such, with its over the top weapons and the beast fighters (are those supposed to be machines or living things?), but I've really enjoyed the first half of it and I think Voltes V really had its share in shaping mecha the way it is now. Corny, yes, but a good watch!
Aug 14, 2011 11:16 AM

Feb 2008
Interesting to hear, Voltes V definitely sounds like one of the better SR shows from the 70's. Looking forward to it.
Sep 2, 2011 6:57 AM

Dec 2009
Echelon said:
Interesting to hear, Voltes V definitely sounds like one of the better SR shows from the 70's. Looking forward to it.

It sure is - it is by Nagahama and an interesting one all told. Daimos is even better - much more plot-focused.

I have been on a binge of sampling older shows - I eventually settled on Glass Mask, City Hunter and Captain Tylor. All seem excellent.

That and Sailor Moon - it is so 1970s in style.
Sep 2, 2011 7:25 AM

Feb 2010
Voltes V is one of the best mecha/giant robo anime of the 70's if not the best! An excellent choice!
Sep 2, 2011 12:22 PM

Jun 2009
Currently watching City Hunter. The most recent episode I finished was 15, the one where Ryo protects a young Heirass he may or may not have saved in the past, and I've got to say that this is a very fun series. I'm usually not a fan of episodic series, and that does admittedly hamper my enjoyment a little bit, but Ryo is such a genuinely likable guy that it is still an enjoyable experience.

The thing that bothers me is that episodes seem to be very much rushed, it's hard to get a feel for any characters that aren't Ryo or Kaori because of the fast pace. Which is yet another problem I have with episodic stuff in general.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 2, 2011 12:45 PM

Feb 2008
Is Daimos fully subbed? I know GP is working on it, but I think we got three episodes last year... so it could take awhile. The OP looks great and skimming through the first episode though, it looks like something I'd love for sure.
Sep 4, 2011 3:30 AM

Jan 2008
Currently watching Haikara-san ga Tooru(Mademoiselle Anne): a very nice old shoujo with romance, a lot of comedy and the right amount of drama.
Sep 4, 2011 6:14 AM

Dec 2009
Echelon said:
Is Daimos fully subbed? I know GP is working on it, but I think we got three episodes last year... so it could take awhile. The OP looks great and skimming through the first episode though, it looks like something I'd love for sure.

I saw some of it dubbed on youtube - It's quite heavy on character drama.
Sep 4, 2011 7:14 AM
Mar 2011
Sasuke
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 4, 2011 7:48 AM

Jun 2009
Hongo-Takeshi said:
Sasuke

Can you please evolve more?
Sep 4, 2011 7:50 AM

Nov 2007
chibix said:
Currently watching Haikara-san ga Tooru(Mademoiselle Anne): a very nice old shoujo with romance, a lot of comedy and the right amount of drama.

I'd love to finish Haikara-san ga Tooru some day! I watched a few episodes of it and really liked what I saw, but gave up since it didn't have subs then at least. How are you watching it? Not English subbed I suspect?

As for me, aside from a Glass Mask rewatch I just started Akage no Anne, my long overdue first WMT title. I'm only a few episodes in but I have the feeling I'm going to love it.
Sep 4, 2011 11:57 AM

Jan 2008
I'm watching it dubbed in Italian which I seem to understand surprisingly well. There are a lot of old anime with Italian dub out there.
Sep 4, 2011 1:11 PM

Aug 2010
bonadea said:
chibix said:

I'd love to finish Haikara-san ga Tooru some day! I watched a few episodes of it and really liked what I saw, but gave up since it didn't have subs then at least. How are you watching it? Not English subbed I suspect?

As for me, aside from a Glass Mask rewatch I just started Akage no Anne, my long overdue first WMT title. I'm only a few episodes in but I have the feeling I'm going to love it.

You'll love it. I can guarantee that. :)
- doll_licca
Founder and encoder of Licca Fansubs
Sep 4, 2011 3:16 PM

Feb 2008
MS06FZ said:
Echelon said:

I saw some of it dubbed on youtube - It's quite heavy on character drama.

Very cool to hear. I have a feeling Baldios will be pretty awesome and serious as well, the movie was great. Hope BlueFixer can finish it someday.
Oct 2, 2011 4:48 PM

Mar 2009
Decided I'm going on a gundam binge this month. I've watched 00 and Seed sometime last year, but never bothered to watch any of the other shows. Starting with Mobile Suit Gundam, and it's awesome. Also will be going through the Leijiverse sometime in Feb/Mar next year.
Oct 15, 2011 11:03 AM

Feb 2009
I'm currently in the middle of watching Rose of Versailles, and I must say the show holds up extremely well.

Oct 16, 2011 7:27 AM
Oct 2010
Just finished the first episode of Cutey Honey Flash and it didn't capture my interest. The only good thing about Cutey Honey Flash are the looks of Cutey Honey. But I seriously doubt that this alone will manage to carry the whole show. I guess I'll drop it.
Oct 16, 2011 8:03 AM

Jun 2009
tempo_plus said:
Just finished the first episode of Cutey Honey Flash and it didn't capture my interest. The only good thing about Cutey Honey Flash are the looks of Cutey Honey. But I seriously doubt that this alone will manage to carry the whole show. I guess I'll drop it.

If you can't watch it in Japanese then you wouldn't be able to finish it anyway, because there are only 9 episodes subbed.

And I agree with you that the remake of the original Nagai's creation was not so good - they basically slaughtered the original idea.
Dec 16, 2011 5:54 AM

Aug 2010
Just started watching Sohryuden: Legend of the Dragon Kings which is based on the novel written by Yoshiki Tanaka, so I'm expecting quite a lot from this series. After watching episode 1 I think it is quite interesting so far and I hope it'll turn out great.
Dec 17, 2011 11:35 AM

Aug 2011
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1660/Kurogane_Communication
Though it fails to meet thew criteria for being labeled Old School, I am still gonna recommend it to those of you who like animes over 10 years of age. I just watched the first episode. I have always liked robots with personality; one is going to be treated to many with this anime series...varied types, with varied body shapes, varied specialties. Haruka-chan is the sole survivor...human wise. I won't spoil it further...just hope some of you will consider watching it. I look forward to more. ^^
Dec 22, 2011 3:57 AM

Dec 2011
Dash Kappei.
Decided to start rewatch this since i never had the chance to finish it in the 80s.
Kappei is a very short kid that excel in any sport because of his skill to invent special moves for any kind of situation, he uses his height to watch girls underwear ,he loves white panties and he is very proud of this. Kappei is in love with Akane and live with her and a dog named Seiichiro wich is also in love with her and wich try to steal Akane's love.
The plot is amusing, also the characters of Kappei with his funny to look moves and the speaking dog Seiichiro with his evil plans.
ZaukerDec 22, 2011 4:00 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2253 by JohnnyChuck »»
Apr 21, 8:08 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.