Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 30, 2016 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
Lately, I've kinda felt like my artwork has been ranging from really excellent quality that I can be proud of, to something that's so incredibly bad that I can't believe the two drawings both came from me. Things like proportions, facial features, and all number of techniques are going in and out of my brain on what seems like a daily basis, and I'm getting frustrated.

Do any artists on MAL have any ideas or suggestions to creating a more consistent portfolio? I hate knowing that I can do better and being unable to figure out why.

If it helps to know, I just wanted the throw out the fact that I've been drawing since I was relatively little, but I've never really been taught or gone through any technical exercises. I'd kinda like to, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

I also avoid references for the most part, and try to go straight from memory, since I want to feel like I'm not reliant on them.

(Also, I apologize in advance but I can't really upload anything where I am. It's just not something I can feasibly do without a stable net connection, a scanner, decent camera, etc. Currently living out in the boonies.)
Jul 30, 2016 10:39 PM

Jun 2015
First of all, it is totally okay to use references! Honestly if you are having trouble sometimes with proportions, certain features, etc., references should be your best friends! I understand that you want to stay away from them to try and draw by memory, which is totally understandable, however something that can be really helpful is just drawing from reference -- seeing if you can get the details correct and exploring how to draw anatomy. Even professional level artists sometimes use references! :)

More topics from this board

» People who don't believe that there is anything wrong with western entertainment and influence.

kratos960203 - Apr 19

28 by Ex-Aid »»
8 hours ago

» Made An Anime Youtube Video thoughts?

panque - Yesterday

1 by TheMechaManiac »»
Yesterday, 11:43 AM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

361 by panque »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Anime hoodies - New brand

abambata - Apr 13

3 by abambata »»
Yesterday, 7:47 AM

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

3 by abambata »»
Yesterday, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.