Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2016 8:40 PM

Dec 2007
I said I was going to do this, didn't I? It actually took several days for me to determine this was how I wanted to provide the relevant information, but I think this format is best suited for the wide variety of things you might want to know.

Now please note, I only have modest training and experience as a diver. But that's probably more than most viewers of the show. And this will provide you not only fun and interesting information that the show might pass over or cover inadequately, but also help you determine if maybe you want to dive to. So, without further ado:

What is SCUBA?

Do I Need a Certification or Something to Dive?

Then, How Do I Get a Certification?

There Are Tests, Aren't There?

How Long Does a Certification Last?

Are There Age Restrictions?

Are There Any Conditions That Can Stop Me From Diving?

How Long Do Dives Last?

How Deep Can I go?

How Often Should I Equalize?

More will be coming, but this should be a good start.
ErwinJAJul 29, 2016 9:26 PM
Jul 30, 2016 3:37 PM

Dec 2015
Well this certainly was a comprehensive guide to SCUBA diving.
The only question I have left is, does diving require a lot of mouth breathing?

Sep 1, 2016 5:28 PM

Dec 2013
EW PADI.... NAUI all the way

Decent Post btw
Sep 2, 2016 4:22 AM

Dec 2007
ScapaFlow47 said:

Decent Post btw
Blame my mother. I was a minor at the time and she's the one who set it up. I've been dealing with the fallout from that decision for nearly 20 years. :P

But seriously, there's not much wrong with PADI's instruction that I see. What bad rep it has is mainly due to contempt for its higher commercialization compared to many other similar organizations. But as a result of that, it also has many benefits the other groups wish they could get. And many of those help its customers too. In fact, my certification came through a program run by a non-profit that had partnered with PADI.

Bobby2Hands said:
The only question I have left is, does diving require a lot of mouth breathing?
I would have assumed that to be fairly self-evident, but it's my policy to assume any post that doesn't explicitly indicate being unserious is serious. So:

So, what's this "mask clearing?"

What is neutral buoyancy? And why is it important?

So, how do I control my buoyancy?

How do I know when it's time to surface?

How do I communicate underwater?
ErwinJASep 3, 2016 1:22 AM
Sep 2, 2016 4:31 AM

Dec 2013
Honestly it was a joke, I know some Divers really get into it but it honestly dose't matter. Its all about who you get as an instructor because unfortunately some dive masters are as incompetent as the students they teach.
Sep 3, 2016 1:24 AM

Dec 2007
ScapaFlow47 said:
Honestly it was a joke, I know some Divers really get into it but it honestly dose't matter. Its all about who you get as an instructor because unfortunately some dive masters are as incompetent as the students they teach.
No worries. I've never taken the flak seriously, despite having gotten quite a bit of it. The first part of my response should have indicated I fully understood the intent. It was just that this is a thread for people who don't know diving, so I want to be careful about giving wrong impressions.
Sep 20, 2016 7:23 PM

Mar 2012
Very interesting. Thanks for putting that post together, Erwin.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 13, 2021 7:23 AM
Nov 2020
ScapaFlow47 said:

Decent Post btw

Ewww PADI, NAUI... SSI all the way!

Loved the FAQ though. Only thing that I think its missing is a segment about DCS, but since the show hasn't touched that subject, it's just a nitpick (even though the fin dude on episode 12 may have had issues with that).

Now to the outsiders, there's this kind of informal joke where we diss the certification agency where our fellow divers take their certification. But its mostly done as a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. Most agencies are compatible with each other since most of them follow the WRSTC (World Recreational Scuba Training Council) guidelines. Most differences tend to relate with internal protocols. For example, PADI instructors must instruct exactly the content of a certain course, and are forbidden from 'overteaching', even if it may benefit the trainee diver. SSI on the other hand allows that flexibility to their instructors, as long as the base line for the course is taught. (I don't know how the other agencies handle that)

The only practical difference I remember is the protocol for air sharing. PADI instructors teach that the diver who's out of air should reach for his partners alternative air source (after signalling of course). SSI instructors teach that the partner with air should give his primary source to his buddy, and after that, calmly grab his own alternate. They're both valid methods with their own valid reasoning, even though I prefer SSIs method.

Remember that 'overteaching' part? My instructor actually taught how to share air using both methods. A PADI instructor is contractually forbidden of doing that.

But as any future diver should be noticing, those diferences are mostly nitpicks, and all agencies are capable of forming competent divers, and then experience when diving does the rest =)
jpb18Oct 13, 2021 7:28 AM
Aug 29, 2023 10:38 AM

Mar 2010
jpb18 said:
ScapaFlow47 said:

Decent Post btw

Ewww PADI, NAUI... SSI all the way!

Loved the FAQ though. Only thing that I think its missing is a segment about DCS, but since the show hasn't touched that subject, it's just a nitpick (even though the fin dude on episode 12 may have had issues with that).

Now to the outsiders, there's this kind of informal joke where we diss the certification agency where our fellow divers take their certification. But its mostly done as a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. Most agencies are compatible with each other since most of them follow the WRSTC (World Recreational Scuba Training Council) guidelines. Most differences tend to relate with internal protocols. For example, PADI instructors must instruct exactly the content of a certain course, and are forbidden from 'overteaching', even if it may benefit the trainee diver. SSI on the other hand allows that flexibility to their instructors, as long as the base line for the course is taught. (I don't know how the other agencies handle that)

The only practical difference I remember is the protocol for air sharing. PADI instructors teach that the diver who's out of air should reach for his partners alternative air source (after signalling of course). SSI instructors teach that the partner with air should give his primary source to his buddy, and after that, calmly grab his own alternate. They're both valid methods with their own valid reasoning, even though I prefer SSIs method.

Remember that 'overteaching' part? My instructor actually taught how to share air using both methods. A PADI instructor is contractually forbidden of doing that.

But as any future diver should be noticing, those diferences are mostly nitpicks, and all agencies are capable of forming competent divers, and then experience when diving does the rest =)

OH learned something new there. Always wondered what the differences are. Here there's mainly padi but there's also ssi. Never heard of naui here tho.
And it's true about the method they teach when out of breath. I learned 5 ways but each was for a different situation. If buddy is nearby however yeah you use their secondary breather/air provider. Unless you still have some of your own left, but not much, and are at 9m or less

------
I tried diving myself with padi but well I gave up after joining 2 groups I didn't feel like I was competent enough. Did pass the written test tho. Did a medical check but that wasn't the issue either, even if I had a hard time clearing my ears. Had 3 instructors so yeah...

Maybe it's their teaching style and I could give ssi a chance. My bf has ssi certification. Or maybe it's my anxiety and fear of failure, I could totally relate to teto imho.

An intro dive ive done several times now and I was totally OK there ^^ was fun too and at least I can use my mask and fins for that plus snorkeling. ^^
Just feel I put in a lot of money and now miss out on diving on my own tho :( but can recommend to everyone to at least try it out :) even if it seems scary, at the very least you can always do intro dives :D where they pretty much babysit you XD but you see so much beauty even if you don't go below 6m
GyarutsundereAug 29, 2023 10:44 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2016

69 by Karva1 »»
Feb 15, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

186 by Karva1 »»
Feb 12, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

113 by Gyarutsundere »»
Sep 10, 2023 1:12 AM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

59 by Gyarutsundere »»
Sep 1, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Amanchu! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2016

63 by Gyarutsundere »»
Sep 1, 2023 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.