Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2016 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yatori is such a badass on the battlefield, definitely not a woman to mess around with.

Good episode, I find it kinda funny at how Sarihasrag got humiliated. Thinks got rough this episode and I got a 'holy shit' moment when Yatori fought her way through those soldiers to save the princess.

Stark700Jul 29, 2016 10:56 AM
Jul 29, 2016 10:24 AM

Apr 2010
That certainly was a bloody ending.
It was nice to see Yatori in action tho.

And it seems Iktar won the match and saved the princess he certainly did a great job.
The question is how will others react to this news.
Jul 29, 2016 10:33 AM

Sep 2015
Well anyways Yatori as op as always, dual-weilding a short and a longer sword. lol at the amount of tomato sauce everywhere.
valvravetruthJul 29, 2016 10:41 AM
Jul 29, 2016 10:47 AM
Jan 2009
I'm surprised for where the episode ended: they cut out the 1st LN ending.
That's the defining moment for the story, so they are surely going to cover it in episode 5, but this way they killed the climax.

valvravetruth said:
Well anyways Yatori as op as always, dual-weilding a short and a longer sword.

A cavalry saber and a main gauche parrying dagger.
Jul 29, 2016 11:05 AM

Feb 2015
Man, we finally got to see how much of a monster Yatori is, yet how much she's damaging herself due to her family's honour bound duty to the crown. This is only going to get better, or I guess worse, depending on your perspective.
Jul 29, 2016 11:21 AM

Jan 2015
No Opening. Since I guess because the episode is about battle among 2 sins from "7 deadly sins", Pride vs Sloth.
Too bad Yatori got back early. I'd like to see that "sadistic hottie" get shot at that very moment. Oh well, have to wait for later.
Yatori in that fighting state totally reminds me of Shana but with dual sword. Even after I watched that Anime for just about 15 minutes. LOL
Guess I'll never get enough with Solork "playing" with Princess all the time.
MasceraJul 29, 2016 11:29 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 29, 2016 11:22 AM

Jan 2012
Hard not to like Ikta's lazy philosophy. :D Yatori's brutal slaughter of the kidnappers was badass and unsettling.
Jul 29, 2016 11:27 AM

Jun 2014
It was very satisfying to see Torway's asshole brother get destroyed on the battlefield by Ikta, who literally never looks like he's taking anything seriously.

Things got pretty bloody at the end with Yatori killing Ison Ho and his men. That escalated rather quickly, but it was pretty entertaining and badass.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 29, 2016 11:32 AM

Jan 2015
Episode was adapted pretty damn well, Yatori and her squad were complete badasses. Ikta once again proving he's a refreshing MC, however when I was reading his speech I didn't really expect it to flow that monotonously, still a great episode.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 29, 2016 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
The way how Yatori slaughtered the kidnappers was so brutal and badass!
Jul 29, 2016 11:38 AM

Feb 2014
very nice episode ... ikta say something about join the coup ^^ he really hates this kingdom
Jul 29, 2016 11:41 AM

Apr 2010
Dark_Kain said:
I'm surprised for where the episode ended: they cut out the 1st LN ending.
That's the defining moment for the story, so they are surely going to cover it in episode 5, but this way they killed the climax.

Having only read what's been translated of the manga adaptation, this is where ch13 of the manga ended too, so I wouldn't think of it to be that big of a deal. I'm more worried that the anime is going to cut a lot of the dialogue.
Jul 29, 2016 11:46 AM

Dec 2014
Ikta canbe a bad ass too.. without actually being one I guess
Jul 29, 2016 11:51 AM

Apr 2014
Yatori and her sword skills are really fucking cool

Ikuta proving once again that he's a geniusp[/size]

Jul 29, 2016 11:56 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode, So glad to see Ikta wrecking Torway's annoying brother. The vice captain guy was better than him.

Ikta's lazy speech was awesome, "Laziness is the mother of human progress". He's right in a way XD

Yatori was absolutely badass, The fight scenes were awesome and bloody, I love her dual wield fight style, Has a real fast paced and dynamic feel to it.
Though it seems Ikta had to calm her after the battle, I guess her slaughter comes at a cost of becoming way too tensed. Wonder if there's a reason behind that.

Ison Ho and his men seemed to have a simple motive of revenge against a political failure for their general, It's kinda sad how the Princess ends up as the damsel in distress for all this.
Jul 29, 2016 12:04 PM

Jul 2007
I will have to separate the episode into two parts since due to how the episode was pacing it is more like two episodes in one. I really wish it could have been two episodes as there's a lot of thins they could have done to expand it.

Episode 4, Part 1: Mock Battle...literally.

The episode does a nice job showcasing Ikta's tactics and planning. Its nice to actually be able to see how he set up the situation instead of it just happening too. Its also very nice to see that at least one of older brothers is actually smart and mature.

While its clear that majority of budget went to that fight in second part, the episode employed some nice use of aerial view to showcase the battle progress and seeing how Ikta's "not quite" a victory comes too.

The Mock battle ends up being a very nice mockery towards Bully brother, showcasing his insignificance and making the words Ikta said to him last episode ring true. I can only hope wherever he goes with his life, he will end up learning from this experience.

The segment ends with nice speech by Ikta, which outlines his rationalism. It was obvious to me before, but it is quite nice to see it outlined. Ikta is a realist, a rationalist. He HATES idealism and the unreasonable logic that follows it. So he presents an alternative and this is one of the first time he gets to openly declare his way of thinking, as opposed to being just viewed as Lazy.

Now obviously there's a lot of comparisons that can be drawn between Ikta in that scene and the legendary Yang Wenli from Legend of Galactic Heroes. Ikta's speech here resonates in similar way as Yang's "drink tea speech" and Ikta's confusion and behavior after everyone starts cheering for him is a very Yang-like thing to do.

At the same time the sequence ends with Ikta asking Torway if he won the war of attrition. Now it obviously refers the mock battle going on, but at the same time there's a deeper theme at play here too. We have seen implications that he older brother mistreated and bullied Torway before. Torway never got to stand up. He was suffering this treatment and in this mock battle he got a chance to stand up against his brother and show his worth. That is the hidden meaning Ikta has been refering to as "War of Attrition" in both this and previous episode. Torway finally got the chance to stand up for himself after suffering for quite long time.

Episode 4: Part 2 - Everything is Red

The second half episode focuses on the princess being kidnapped by her guards, but what's more it is a story of corruption and consequences.

The fight that follows is clearly where majority of budget was focused upon and it was very nice to the eye, but what is most important here is characterization.

If the first half of episode shows glory and success of military leadership, the second half shows the blood-drenched reality of both empire's corruption and military life itself

Yattori gets some nice characterization here showcasing that she is not infallible or perfect - not only her plan almost falls apart(and only succeeds because the rebel troops like their commander too much to follow his order), but she also gets pinned down and we also see the fragility hidden behind her knightly self, via one of the best directed shots near the end.

Red is the theme of this part of the episode. Yattori, a soldier with red hair, is drenched in red of people she killed. Chamille gets drenched in blood of people her family wronged.

As Ikta says to yattori, those weapons are REALLY heavey. In more ways than one. The outcome, the scene drenched in blood is not a victory like in the first half. Its not paint and there are no cheers. A bunch of good people who followed and loved the general they worked for laid down their lives. Nobody is a hero here and nobody is a villain. And its a counter-experience that is bound to shape and scar those people there for life.

Easily 5/5 Best episode so far.
Jul 29, 2016 12:06 PM

Nov 2014
Ikta Solork's philosophy: Laziness is the mother of progression.
I hold onto that.

This episode is full of thrills. Yatori was so cool with blades.
Sarihasrag got a shot to his head. Got embarrassed with the shot.

And also, what I love is, that scene between Ikta and Yatori.
Jul 29, 2016 12:18 PM
Jan 2009
Lelouch0202 said:
I guess her slaughter comes at a cost of becoming way too tensed. Wonder if there's a reason behind that.

Yeah, there is a reason.
Ikta is basically the only person that can snap her out of that state, they are probably going to explain it later maybe even in the next episode (It's pretty important, they can't just cut it off).
Jul 29, 2016 12:19 PM

May 2015
sleeper hit of the season... That was amazing.
Jul 29, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2007
Cornbread78 said:

Sadly with the amount of attention this gets(hint: none), this is bound to be another Rokka and sell like 10 copies...
Jul 29, 2016 12:25 PM

Sep 2015
"Laziness is the mother of progression"-which is definitely true. But I also believe that competition also lead to progression. I would say 3 things lead to human progression but I'll leave it as that.

Anyway I expected them to be line infantry and I was correct! Well sort of. They do have line formations. Kind of out-dated tactic considering the equipment they have. Well at least they don't seem to have machineguns...
Machineguns and line infantry don't mix very well. Err for the line infantry side at least.

The mock battle didn't seem too impressive to me tbh. The tactics shown were meh. Mainly because they didn't provide sufficient information on the battlefield's condition from the start.
Like the valley to the central base, the river. Trees etc. So when they did put these factors to use, it comes out as if pulled out of no where. if they had provided information on terrain and then proceeded to use these to their advantage it will come off better IMO.
Anyway, it isn't a major deal seeing how Torway's brother is pretty hot-headed, unsuited as a commander and seems to just play along with Ikta's plan every single step o the way.
So I can't even take any of the strategies seriously when an opponent is so incompetent.

The final scene was cool. The slaughter. My question is why they didn't just kill her off the bat. What did they plan to kidnap her for? if they want revenge just kill her and run.
Overall, I feel like we learned more about Yatori. While it was cool to see her lose control and it was done well. Though a bit cliche on how Ikta was the one to calm her down which isn't a bad thing but this been done quite a lot so it doesn't have as much of an impact otherwise. Still it was executed VERY well.

Overall decent episode. I enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to this episode so I guess it was worth the wait. I mainly was interested in their combat doctrine. Last episode kept me wondering if they really were going to do line infantry combat.
While it isn't really suited for what they are doing I would of looked forward to seeing it. I never seen anime do line battles before so it would of been interesting. Instead we saw quick bayonet charges and melee which isn't a bad thing mind you.
zcv45Jul 29, 2016 12:33 PM
Jul 29, 2016 12:28 PM

Aug 2010
I friggin love this series even more now. Dat Yatori scene was bloody brilliant. The atmosphere was so well depicted.
Ikta and Yatori are way too awesome. Dat dialogue from Ikta. I'd follow him 4ever
Jul 29, 2016 12:30 PM

May 2015
Fai said:
Cornbread78 said:

Sadly with the amount of attention this gets(hint: none), this is bound to be another Rokka and sell like 10 copies...

Good point.... Sad but true.... Hopefully, we can get two cours out of this, but I'm not sure how far along into the LN's they are. It's a shame it will be another incomplete adaptation to sell more LN, but, hopefully more people enjoy it while it airs.......

Great gif of THAT scene I saw online:

Cornbread78Jul 29, 2016 12:36 PM
Jul 29, 2016 12:31 PM
Jan 2009
Fai said:

Given that a second season is unlikely anyway take it as a good presentation of the Light Novels (it's probably conceived as a spot for the LNs anyway) and sate your hunger with the LNs or the manga adaptation.
Jul 29, 2016 12:41 PM

Nov 2014
Torway's brother is so irresponsible, childish and impulsive, that i can't believe how he even became a soldier in the first place. His character is terrible, but maybe he will come back later as a better person? It would be cool to see a character this bad turn into someone actually likeable.
I'm really liking this anime so far, let's hope that it'll get even better in the future. I would like to see Ikta fight against some stronger opponent and use some crazy strategies. Nejimaki will never be on Kingdom's level in terms of big scale battles but it's still really enjoyable.
Jul 29, 2016 1:05 PM

Jan 2016
Awesome episode. This show keeps getting better. Did I miss something because I don't really remember anything about the princess going North thinking that Ikta was injured. Is that just a minor thing or something that was detailed in the story because I don't really remember anything being said about that? I believe Bada senkri who was mentioned at the end was the guy who taught Ikta about Science or something along those lines.

Jul 29, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2012
Great episode!!
I thought Yatori was done for when the screen went blurry and she couldn't let go of her swords
Glad I was wrong she is a beast
Jul 29, 2016 1:16 PM

Sep 2014
Liking this show a lot more. Hopefully it continues to get better
Jul 29, 2016 1:16 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm finding that this is the show I look forward to the most every week right. Despite it's faults, it clicks many of my boxes. Like the setting and story. And the characters are growing on me. And that sequence where Yattori showed her badassery was beautifully animated and directed.

I'm not familiar with the source material, but I would not be surprised if at some point in the future, Yatori and Ikta find themselves on opposite sides. The former is all about tradition, duty, honour, obedience and loyalty to the established order. Ikta meanwhile is a modern man, pragmatic, innovative, critical and cynical.

Ikta gives off a bit of a Yang Wenli vibe. Same kind of laid back style.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 29, 2016 1:23 PM

Sep 2013
The green jerk got destroyed btu he was crying at the end so maybe this will lead to him maturing a bit :O
Laziness has helped humanity strive XD

The princess was crying after the bloodbath because Ikta said he would have tried to kill her too if they had asked him :(
Poor baby :'(

The Blood Queen

Ratchetdude231 said:
Awesome episode. This show keeps getting better. Did I miss something because I don't really remember anything about the princess going North thinking that Ikta was injured. Is that just a minor thing or something that was detailed in the story because I don't really remember anything being said about that?

It happened offcreen.
Jul 29, 2016 1:26 PM

May 2012
Well, damn, the outcome of the battle was expected, but what came afterwards was a pretty big surprise

Yatori really went at it there, and I wanna know more about Ikta and Yatori's past even more now.

Jul 29, 2016 1:28 PM
Jan 2009
Ratchetdude231 said:
Did I miss something because I don't really remember anything about the princess going North thinking that Ikta was injured. Is that just a minor thing or something that was detailed in the story because I don't really remember anything being said about that?

There was no such scene in the anime, the remark is to explain why the princess followed the traitors (like Ikta pointed in the previous scene the princess did know roughly that Ikta would not go north, so the traitors had to invent such an excuse to have her follow them).

I believe Bada senkri who was mentioned at the end was the guy who taught Ikta about Science or something along those lines.

They were talking about Ikta's father (like the princess pointed out in episode 2, "Sorlok" surname is a fake) that was the teacher of general Rikan (the man that was forced to defend the fort in episode 2 in a battle scripted to lose) that was the teacher of the traitors.
In the original LNs the relationship between Rikan and Ikta's father was explained in a more detailed way when Ikta met Rikan in the fort (Rikan was a regular at Bada Sankrei home and Ikta liked Rikan as a "good uncle" of sort when he was a child) , they added it back here in the anime adaptation.

The "Heretic genius" who teached Ikta science is called Anarai Khan.
Jul 29, 2016 1:33 PM
Jan 2009
ichii_1 said:
The princess was crying after the bloodbath because Ikta said he would have tried to kill her too if they had asked him :(
Poor baby :'(

Actually that's not true.
In the LN Ikta goes on explaining how their plan was way too rushed and that they should have followed a better objective, like putting the cabinet (the empire main government organ) into a crisis and force its dissolution or overthrow it if possible.

He wasn't advocating for Chamille's death.
Jul 29, 2016 1:39 PM

Jul 2015
I had to literally stand up and clap for this episode. That wad just incredible. Ikta proves once again he's amazing. I love the way he thinks and how he expresses his views. Also that bloody scene was very well done. Showing how hard it was for Yattori. Of course pulling off an action like that takes a toll on your psychological standing. Seeing the way Ikta calmer her down was basically the cherry on top. Ikta/10
Jul 29, 2016 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
Science, Bitches!
Tbh, this episode had the best pacing so far! I tought for sure that they are gonna rush and adapt Vol1 ending in the episode. Guess we are gonna get half the next ep about it as it is the most important thing in the Volume and very very very very very important

Fai said:
Cornbread78 said:

Oh no. Not again. Especially since the TL takes a while and then they license it 10 years after fantl started and we have to wait more years to continue ._.
Jul 29, 2016 1:52 PM
Jan 2016
Is it just me, or the anime has a bit more ship tease between Ikta and Yatori than the manga? How did it look like in the LN?
Jul 29, 2016 1:54 PM

Oct 2014
Askorti said:
Is it just me, or the anime has a bit more ship tease between Ikta and Yatori than the manga? How did it look like in the LN?

i get that feeling, too. Alot more then the manga
Jul 29, 2016 2:31 PM

Apr 2013
Askorti said:

I read the LN and thought the same, in anime they kind of tease a relationship between the two. I guess that's what the anime fandom likes.
ZefyrisJul 29, 2016 2:58 PM
Jul 29, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2016
boy! i have been waiting all week lets frickin go!! i am all ready with popcorn and stuff!! xD Epic battle! way impressive Ikta, and his moto , Ikta Solork's men fight easy,and win easy! xD
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jul 29, 2016 2:37 PM

Aug 2011
Yatori is cute when she in bloody mode.
Jul 29, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode, the first part was fun to watch, especially with that surprise shot in the nape, really an easy victory, while the second part was quite exciting, especially for see Yatori in action, she looked like a killing machine, but after all the blood and after the adrenalida lowered it showed that she is also very human, a great scene in my opinion, I am increasingly excited about the anime ..
Jul 29, 2016 2:48 PM

Feb 2012
I really loved this episode. Ikta making a bridge in the river was great. I'm really loving our MC. His speech about laziness made me lol. But damn the highlight of this episode for me was seeing Yatori in action. Also the scene where Ikta calming her down right after was amazing.
Jul 29, 2016 3:03 PM

Sep 2013
Really cool episode. Some development for our two main characters and also the end just showed again how princess is just a kid after all. I liked Ikta "being a jerk", it showed the princess what is this "military life" she forced him into (for political reasons as well... just like the reason why the kidnappers' superior had to die haha).

And I don't see that moment as a hint of "romance" per se. The first impression I had was "they REALLY are good friends" instead of "they make a cute couple" or something.
Jul 29, 2016 3:16 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I enjoyed it !
It really gets better each episodes so far.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 29, 2016 3:19 PM

Jun 2013
So we see Ikta's battle strategies here as he defeats his enemy. Best part was when that loser got shot straight in the head when the two forces met at the northern side. And then he was like "I ain't surrendering". Uh, you're dead, dude. You don't have a say in this battle anymore. And then we get Ikta's speech to his men. He does raise some pretty damn good points in favour of laziness. That's a true lazy ass for ya.

And then the princess gets kidnapped by Rikkan's students who are pissed at the government for letting Rikkan die to cover up for their mess ups. It was expected that there would be some backlash for that decision the government took. And here's that backlash. But Yatori makes it in time. All that blood spillage though. That looked pretty damn cool. Switching between extremely fast movements and then slow motion shots of blood looked cool. Ikta is also pissed at the government for letting a great army general die to cover up for themselves and he even told Ison Ho that they could have asked him to join. And Chamille probably didn't take that well. Yatori went on a rampage there and Ikta cools her down by taking her sword out of her hand. The two help out each other when needed. Yatori covers up for Ikta when he picks fights and pulls him back when he goes a bit too far, and Ikta pulls Yatori back when she goes too far with her sword. Cool stuff here.
Jul 29, 2016 3:26 PM
Dec 2014
OK this was a really great episode. I'm starting to fall in love with this anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2016 3:40 PM

Dec 2007
Srsly...what a FULLFILLING episode.....only half passed and i was like what a nice episode...lets wait for next week and then...what? its only first half? what a nice surprise...and then that RED thing come....very very nice 6/5
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
Jul 29, 2016 4:23 PM

Sep 2009
To bad, Madhouse did not get a good budget for the series to make the battles more graphic but I still like the series.
Jul 29, 2016 4:40 PM

Apr 2013
So wait did Ikta basically say he would have joined the rebels in killing the princess or did I misinterpret that?

Either way, good episode but I wish Torway's brother would have been a less cliche "evil brother" type of character as it would have made the battle more interesting.
My highlight of the episode was not Yatori's bloodbath (although pretty sweet), but actually Ikta' speech about how laziness is what causes progress and the resulting effect he had on his troops.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jul 29, 2016 4:57 PM
Jan 2009
geralt said:
So wait did Ikta basically say he would have joined the rebels in killing the princess or did I misinterpret that?

Not really, in the original LN the discussion between Ikta and the leader of the rebels is pretty long and Ikta goes on praising their devotion, wits and skills, but criticizing their objectives.

The meaning here is supposed to be that he would have joined them if they had come to him with some concrete objectives in reforming the empire.
Making an example out of the third princess would not hurt the corrupt government at all.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» YATORI

Bijou146 - Aug 31, 2023

13 by Ash_In_Space »»
Yesterday, 9:24 PM

» Aren't the spirits completely unnecessary?

Yeetyus - Feb 9

5 by Zefyris »»
Mar 18, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

70 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

136 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:34 AM

» Why is the princess obsessed with Ilkta?

Aithusa21 - Jul 30, 2022

5 by Zefyris »»
May 18, 2023 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.