Forum Settings
Forums

Can You Suggest a Bad Anime, and a Great Cartoon?

New
Jul 28, 2016 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Now before anyone says how overdone this topic is, I'll like to set some guidelines so this topic isn't locked. First of all, I'll like you to explain why it's bad/good or at the very least describe the premise to me, so I get a clear idea what the series is like before I watch it. Second, you don't need to suggest both, suggesting either a great cartoon or a bad anime would be greatly appreciated(you can do both if you'll like though). Third no listing, please!

MyCartoonList, so you know what I've watched( I also fixed my signature):
[url]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BqnKjwqrMgauzzE-wg37XfYw5z0joyFaIFlrrr4yPhk/edit?usp=sharing[/url]

removed-userJul 28, 2016 5:50 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 28, 2016 2:33 PM

Feb 2013
i'm sorry, i can't; this feat is absolutely impossible for me
Jul 28, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
kamisama751 said:
Sorry but this task is impossible unless you want some troll answers.
Haha, funny, but seriously can you suggest one? I didn't even say you'll have to suggest both, just a bad anime would be great. Besides, I hate when someone calls one medium above the other, there's no reason to be an Elit-...
removed-userJul 28, 2016 2:46 PM
Jul 28, 2016 2:50 PM

Feb 2013
>tfw almost identical post but no replies ;-;

was it the lower case?
Jul 28, 2016 2:53 PM

May 2016
Bad anime: The legend of Korra Re:zero
Good cartoon: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
RGNJul 28, 2016 4:21 PM
Jul 28, 2016 2:57 PM

Jul 2016
I don't know about bad anime, but a good cartoon imo would Gravity Falls. It's got decent humor and cryptic mysteries, although now that the series is over the mysteries probably aren't as fun.
Jul 28, 2016 3:00 PM

Jun 2016
Great cartoon:samurai jack (lots of action, great cinematography and references to some cinema classics )
Bad anime:no 6 (the adventures of two gays in dystopian post-apocalyptic world)
Jul 28, 2016 3:00 PM

Mar 2015
Bad Anime- Diatron-5

Good Cartoon- 12 oz mouse
Jul 28, 2016 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
romagia said:
>tfw almost identical post but no replies ;-;

was it the lower case?
No, because I thought the elitist bit was funny and coincidental. Plus, I can't reply with something with bad English, no offense. My grammar Nazi side will come out.
Jul 28, 2016 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
First of all, I'll like you to explain why it's bad/good or at the very least describe the premise to me, so I get a clear idea what the series is like before I watch it. Second, you don't need to suggest both, suggesting either a great cartoon or a bad anime would be greatly appreciated(you can do both if you'll like though). Third no listing, please!

F***, now this forum is going to be locked.Why doesn't anyone listen!
Jul 28, 2016 3:10 PM

Apr 2015
Bad anime; Cross Ange

Good Cartoon: The Regular Show or Gravity Falls.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2016 3:12 PM

Mar 2016
LOVE HINA SUCKS.

...Had to get it off my chest.

Sucks because the English dub is ABSOLUTE shit. I've never heard a dub like it and I have never despised one like I do that one. It also sucks because the main character is an idiot and all the girls in the harem are especially annoying to compliment his atrocious design.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2016 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
JkayW said:
Bad anime; Cross Ange

Screams
Why? Why? Why?! For pete's sake, WHY!
Jul 28, 2016 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
_Poochyena_ said:
LOVE HINA SUCKS.

...Had to get it off my chest.

Sucks because the English dub is ABSOLUTE shit. I've never heard a dub like it and I have never despised one like I do that one. It also sucks because the main character is an idiot and all the girls in the harem are especially annoying to compliment his atrocious design.
Oooo dubs, I'm on that one! Thank you for the suggestion!
Jul 28, 2016 3:17 PM

Mar 2015
Someone32 said:

Girl, it's just too much work to explain stuff... this thread's fate was sealed from the get go.

Bad anime: Kuma Miko (because Yoshio, the villagers, anyone who's not Machi really)
Good cartoon: Star Wars Clone Wars (2003 series)
Jul 28, 2016 3:18 PM

Oct 2014
Bad anime would be charlotte
Good cartoon would be avatar the last airbender
Also explaining the premise of the show is pretty pointless because that can be read in the shows cover
Jul 28, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
DoubleMangekyo said:
Someone32 said:

Girl, it's just too much work to explain stuff... this thread's fate was sealed from the get go.

Bad anime: Kuma Miko
Good cartoon: Star Wars Clone Wars (2003 series)
Welp, going on Fanpop now because barely anyone listens.

Apr 2015
Someone32 said:
JkayW said:
Bad anime; Cross Ange

Screams

Why for pete's sake? What happened?

Jul 2016
I'll keep the anime recent because memory and I haven't seen a recent cartoon so there's that.

-Bad anime: Mayoiga (About a few(lol) people wanting to start over at some village's name I already forgot which supposedly not even the police can find, some people go missing, secrets get revealed blah, you get the idea)

Why?

Because it has poor qualities in almost everything I account for. The theme is nearly non existent, the plot is terribly written and I'm not the kind of guy who goes "SO BAD ITS GOOD LOL" like some people I've seen on websites. The characters is beyond trash and I don't even remember a single characters name, the setting isn't exactly a bright idea either, Art&Animation is probably the only thing worth mentioning but even then it's average, the sound is forgettable and it's definitely not enjoyable. Also no brownie points for this show either.

-Good Cartoon: Avatar

Why?

I wont be able to go in depth with this as I haven't watched it in a long time but it's one of the few cartoons that's actually "decent" I should say, not that I am fond of cartoons, but if I had to name one, this comes to mind.
Jul 28, 2016 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
gabrielrroiz said:
Bad anime would be charlotte
Good cartoon would be avatar the last airbender
Also explaining the premise of the show is pretty pointless because that can be read in the shows cover
I don't buy the copy until I see it. Also please EXPLAIN!
Jul 28, 2016 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
JkayW said:
Someone32 said:
Screams

Why for pete's sake? What happened?
You didn't follow the guidelines!

First of all, I'll like you to explain why it's bad/good or at the very least describe the premise to me, so I get a clear idea what the series is like before I watch it. Second, you don't need to suggest both, suggesting either a great cartoon or a bad anime would be greatly appreciated(you can do both if you'll like though). Third no listing, please!

removed-userJul 28, 2016 3:26 PM
Jul 28, 2016 3:41 PM

Apr 2016
Come on guys, I know ATLA was a good cartoon but since everyone's already recommending that, here's some of my personal favorites.
Good cartoons:
Batman: The Animated Series - 20 minute episodes. Everything you want from Batman in 100+ episodes. It's visually dark but fun. Everything you loved about Batman as a kid but with slightly more adult themes. Heavily stylized visually, but written very realistically. Mark Hamill as the Joker. This cartoon is a masterpiece.
Gravity Falls - 20 minute episodes. A supernatural mystery show about a pair of twins trying to unlock the mystery of the town their parents sent them to to spend the summer with their great uncle Stan. They get more than they bargained for. Heavy on fan interaction/interpretation/participation, with many codes to crack, mysteries to solve and hints for plot twists in later episodes.
Steven Universe - 10 minute episodes. Very heavy on the anime references, very colorful and cute. Mostly low stakes fun, but the emotional episodes will hit you hard. Incredibly diverse characters in every single aspect of diversity.
Voltron: Legendary Defender - 1 hr opening episode, 20 minute episodes. Based on Voltron: Defender of the Universe/GoLion. Five "teenagers" find a giant lion robot/space ship that takes them into space where they help Princess Allura and Coran take down Zarkon's Galra empire. Animated and written by the same people who brought you Avatar: Legend of Aang and Avatar: Legend of Korra, produced by Dreamworks Animation, so technically it's just a great anime with good looking CG. Season 2 coming late 2016!

Bad anime:
I've yet to find an anime bad enough to list on topics like this because I actively try to avoid those.
hat-and-gogglesJul 28, 2016 3:45 PM
Jul 28, 2016 3:54 PM

Jun 2013
Bad anime : Aquarion Logos
- Design characters is weird
- Too much filler
- The main story actually is unique but the writer can't explorer the potential leaving the show with bad taste

Good Cartoon : Road Rovers
- The main characters is cano-sapiens (still dogs, but more human like)
- The show was hilarious to say at least. Simple and complex jokes that could appeal to all ages.
Jul 28, 2016 4:12 PM

May 2015
Erased was pretty subpar to say the least; it wasnt horrible but it didnt deliver anything the show was seting up

Rick and Morty on the other hand, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jul 28, 2016 4:18 PM

Oct 2009
I thought it's be two-in-one... Like a show that doesn't qualify as anime at all, but is a good cartoon nonetheless. But the way the thread actually is, meh...
Jul 28, 2016 4:26 PM

Jul 2015
Garzey's wings its about a guy that has his mind teleported to a different world. But its so bad its funny. Watch the english dub.

As for cartoon i'd recommend Rick and Morty. More or less an alcoholic scientist (rick) that abandoned his family many years ago suddenly shows up and goes on adventures through various dimensions and timelines with his grandson(morty)

It tackles a lot of topics like race, gender, puberty ect. Plus its funny.
Jul 28, 2016 4:28 PM
Jul 2016
I'm probably is going to be the only one to take this serious good cartoons are (avatar the last airbender) don't watch Korra (samurai Jack) its a about a samurai in a dystopian society (voltron) is kind of like power rangers but better also (Danny phantom) bout a boy who gets ghost powers last one (xioalin showdow) my favorite I can't even explain this one all of these I listed deserve a watch
Jul 28, 2016 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
Almost forgot to mention bob's burgers. Which a middle aged guy trying to keep his restaurant afloat. And the humor is very clever and each character feels unique and different
Jul 28, 2016 5:31 PM
Jul 2013
Bad Anime:

My easiest pick would be School Days but that's because it's the bane of my existence. I just have 0 clue as to how that got past production.

My other less obvious pick would probably be Aldnoah.Zero. It had quite a bit of potential. I could already see the super emotional rivalry and the love/hate relationships that could form. The epic battle's and the crazy plot twists. The people in charge somewhere down the line just said 'fuck that'. Make it generic boys. Make it bad. We're not here to make a good series we're here to fuck shit up and create plot holes, and this anime looks like swiss cheese already.

Also the main character from earth is just a bundle of plot armour. You really start to wonder how he can even move when he has to carry around what is probably 10 tons of dat PA.

Good Cartoon:

This is obviously Code Geass, the best japanese cartoon.

If we look at western cartoons I'd have to go "wooooweeee" and pick Rick and Morty. Superbly written and absolutely hilarious. It still manages to sucker punch the feels a couple of times an episode. They also put a lot of work into making well hidden but hard hittin' extended metaphors and such. Very Good show. 10/10. Nearly as good as code geass but at the end of the day, what is?
Jul 28, 2016 5:59 PM
Jan 2016
Ok I can't really suggest a bad anime but I can suggest a great cartoon and I'm shocked no one has mentioned it yet.

Archer
It airs on FX. It's been running for 7 sevens and signed up for 4 more. IMO it's what James Bond should have been. Sterling Archer is an international spy. It is a fantastic comedy but doesn't have any long plots (except season 5). But fair warning not for kids!
Jul 28, 2016 10:03 PM

Feb 2015
OP asking for good cartoons and no mention of Megas XLR? I am disappoint.
Jul 28, 2016 10:30 PM

Dec 2015
Bad anime: Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. The only thing that wasn't bad was the opening.
Good cartoon: Samurai Jack. Don't remember much of it but it was awesome.
Jul 28, 2016 10:38 PM

Oct 2014
Bad anime: Papillon Rose
Good cartoon: Futurama

Not too difficult, there are great and horrible anime and cartoons.
Jul 28, 2016 11:00 PM
Oct 2015
Nagitoxhxc said:
-Bad anime: Mayoiga (About a few(lol) people wanting to start over at some village's name I already forgot which supposedly not even the police can find, some people go missing, secrets get revealed blah, you get the idea)

Why?

Because it has poor qualities in almost everything I account for. The theme is nearly non existent, the plot is terribly written and I'm not the kind of guy who goes "SO BAD ITS GOOD LOL" like some people I've seen on websites. The characters is beyond trash and I don't even remember a single characters name, the setting isn't exactly a bright idea either, Art&Animation is probably the only thing worth mentioning but even then it's average, the sound is forgettable and it's definitely not enjoyable. Also no brownie points for this show either.

This show gets so much pointless hate and I don't know why. It's become one of those series where it's 'cool' to hate like the new Berserk adaptation. Yes, it doesn't have an amazing story and there are plot holes. Fucking Terra Formars Revenge scored higher than it. Are people trying to say that fighting alien cockroaches is a much deeper plot than exploring an urban legend?

It was an average show that did not receive an average rating. I'm completely baffled how shows like Heavy Object receive better scores despite that one being a piece of cliche shonen fan service trash.
Jul 28, 2016 11:02 PM

Apr 2014
Bad anime: Hitman Reborn
Great Cartoon: Young justice.
Jul 28, 2016 11:06 PM

Apr 2014
freakiepoh said:
Nagitoxhxc said:

Why?

This show gets so much pointless hate and I don't know why. It's become one of those series where it's 'cool' to hate like the new Berserk adaptation. Yes, it doesn't have an amazing story and there are plot holes. Fucking Terra Formars Revenge scored higher than it. Are people trying to say that fighting alien cockroaches is a much deeper plot than exploring an urban legend?

It was an average show that did not receive an average rating. I'm completely baffled how shows like Heavy Object receive better scores despite that one being a piece of cliche shonen fan service trash.
don't know about the other anime. but the new berserk gets hate for a good reason not because it's "cool to hate it" you have any idea how long berserk fans have been waiting for a at least above average adaptation?
Jul 28, 2016 11:07 PM

Aug 2015
Cory in the house is both a bad anime and a good Disney cartoon
Jul 28, 2016 11:09 PM

Aug 2015
JkayW said:
Bad anime; Cross Ange

wait, Not Re:Zero?
I'm disappointed.
Jul 28, 2016 11:10 PM

Jul 2015
Great Cartoon: Samurai Jack
Just finish it.
-
-

γ€Œ π˜›π˜©π˜¦ 𝘡𝘳𝘢𝘡𝘩 π˜ͺ𝘴, 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘀𝘩𝘒𝘯𝘨𝘦π˜₯. π˜‰π˜­π˜’π˜€π˜¬ 𝘡𝘰 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘡𝘦 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘴𝘡π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘺. 」
◐ - βœ‰

-
Jul 29, 2016 2:35 AM

Apr 2015
Nashila said:
JkayW said:
Bad anime; Cross Ange

wait, Not Re:Zero?
I'm disappointed.

Everyone knows it's bad now due to my crusade.
Jul 29, 2016 2:41 AM

Jul 2015
dont watch cartoons
for bad anime : there is a lot euh .... last bad one i watched was Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
a generic battle harem

Mar 2012
Bad anime? Have to say Mahouka. Really dull on the surface, even more awful if you try to analyse it.

As for a great cartoon, Rick and Morty. Really scratches the itch that The Simspons and Family Guy haven't been able to for years.
May 2009
Jul 29, 2016 2:54 AM

Oct 2015
Bad anime - Kantai Collection - I like Kancolle to an extent in terms of the characters but the anime adaptation was just terrible for me. It felt like a poor man's GuP with mediocre animation quality, and shoving in too many characters at the same time, meaning you don't get the time to appreciate any of them.

Great cartoon - Futurama, at least the first 4 seasons before it became Family Guy with future backgrounds. It's an alternate version of the Simpsons with better comedy and of course, Bender is great.

Also I'm gonna get shit for this one, but South Park. Yeah it can be immature at times and the animation quality is pretty garbo but there is genuine wit behind its satire, unlike stuff such as Family Guy. It's also one of the few pieces of media to get better over time instead of worse.
Jul 29, 2016 3:26 AM

Jul 2016
freakiepoh said:
Nagitoxhxc said:

Why?

The thing is, I only chose Mayoiga for the sake of it being recent, as I've dropped both Big Order and Terra Formars Second season, I don't have enough valid claim to choose those two and I don't think something else was worse than Mayoiga which I've continued watching.
Jul 29, 2016 6:12 AM

Feb 2016
Someone32 said:
JkayW said:
Bad anime; Cross Ange

Screams

Cross Ange is bad for a lot of reasons. In short, the first half is akin to a Skinemax "women in prison" movie. It's borderline hentai but not in the way that makes you want to take a moment to unzip, more in the way that makes you terrified someone's going to accidentally see you watching it and makes you question what you've done to reach this point in your life. Then the second half just decides that girls are dragons because "wheee!" and everyone is an idiot all the time.

Gravity Falls is good because it's hilarious and has an interesting premise and strong, unique characters. The episode "Fight Fighters" where Dipper summons a Ryu-expy from an arcade game to beat up his rival is one of my favorite episodes from any television show ever. If you have even a passing knowledge of classic fighting games and beat-em-ups, the jokes are on point throughout the entire episode.

For my own suggestions, bad anime I would say Endride, which is still currently airing (somehow). From the description, you might be lead to believe this could be a standard fantasy anime; MC is given the ability to summon a magic sword and gets transported to another hidden world filled with demihumans under the rule of an evil king whose son is fighting against him. Should be simple enough to make a passable anime out of that without even trying, right? Not in this case. Both the MC and the Prince share equal screen time and are equally insufferable. Both are completely selfish and oblivious, refuse to grow or even act civil to other people (including their own allies), and are both barely competent in fights, despite having their own magic weapons. The show has a large cast of supporting characters, especially when they meet up with the requisite band of rebel mercenaries that hate the evil king, but sadly there's not one saving grace among them. It would be generous to call the side characters one dimensional. Even the most promising ones (the ex-royal scientist that mentored the prince but then betrayed the king and is a little eccentric and has lots of cool gadgets, or the flamboyant resistance leader) never show any real personality and just accept the constant douchebaggery of the 2 MCs.

Good cartoon I'll suggest Freakazoid! A nerd gets super powers from the internet and becomes essentially a living cartoon. He acts like a zany goober but it's done in a way that's funny without being simplistic. The show mocked a lot of superhero/villain tropes. If you've ever enjoyed reading a comic book, you owe it to yourself to watch this series.

I'll also second Megas XLR as Milennin mentioned.
Jul 29, 2016 6:36 AM

Feb 2014
Great cartoon: Gargoyles. One of the most original cartoons, and probably the best out of Disney's lineup of saturday morning cartoons from the 90's. I'll let the opening give the summary.

The show also explores and gives its own take on several ancient and medieval European myths and legends during the second season.

Also, The Tick, which I would say is the original One Punch Man, as far as parodying the superhero genre is concerned. The best part about the show is the clever dialogue, especially Tick's monologues.
VhailorJul 29, 2016 6:52 AM
Jul 29, 2016 6:52 AM

Feb 2016
bad anime : cannot think any, all anime are good. *cough

good cartoon : Dora the Explorer
because adorable character design, colorful visual, and it's the best show to learn english because of simple dialogue. also they involve spectator into their show, which cannot found in anime nowadays
Jul 29, 2016 7:43 AM

Apr 2010
Thread locked

Thread locked for simple listing which is against the boar rules.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
51 seconds ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
13 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 20 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

61 by Zenhashi »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.