Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 28, 2016 5:23 PM

Apr 2016
Paramvir said:
sokawaiixd said:
Just watched a ~7.5ish anime, love it I'd rate it 9/10. Seems like I shouldn't judge on the rating, more on the animations :@ AHAHAH! Just kidding, I'll give any anime which looks interesting a try now.

Well that was fast.

But yeah if you're going to judge a book by it's cover, it's better to just watch the first episode and judge a show on that rather than ONLY the score or synopsis (because let's be real, a lot of synopses don't do justice).

The episodes were ~11 minutes long, basically a 90 minute movie. I had it in my list before, deleted it, because I thought that I won't like it. Glad that I created this topic and made my own opinion about the anime (the anime is called "REC" btw).

I have to admit that I'm a lil superficial, I really enjoyed the manga "Sundome", I wouldn't have touched it if someone didn't praised it for me, I wasn't disappointed at all even tho the cover looks kinda *ehem* perverted.

And you are right, as example if I'd have to sum up Clannad AS it would sound generic and boring, but how everything connects into each other can't be explained with a synopsis...
Jul 28, 2016 5:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Not really

However they are pretty much shit when its like under a score of 6 imo.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 28, 2016 5:28 PM
Nov 2010
Well, nowadays, I tend to really stay away from anime that are rated below 7. I think the only anime rated below 7 here that I watched are School Days (because of THAT ending) and Bikini Warriors (because, well, you know...).

Not that anime that are below 7 are bad or what, but that they are just meh/average such that I wouldn't want to waste time watching them.
Jul 28, 2016 5:31 PM
Nov 2015
In all honesty, they usually are. I can't find any animes below 7 on MAL that I've rated higher than a 5. Furthermore, MAL ratings are usually really inflated for lots of mediocre animes, so for an anime to be rated below 7 it means that it is probably average or forgettable at most.

Even so, maybe it's only me that I have a pretty average taste. I don't even care about scores before watching an anime (I watch what people recommend me or what I find appealing on the Internet), it is later on that I find out that there are really not animes below 7 that I actually have enjoyed.
Jul 28, 2016 5:33 PM

Sep 2011
Your rating system is clearly skewed. 5 is average with 6 being slightly above average. The only things that are THAT bad are things below 2 or 3 that really don't have any redeeming factors. One can argue that things 5 and below aren't worth watching since they are average or not special.
Jul 28, 2016 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
A rating is subjective. I like some anime with bad ratings. Two of my favorite anime have a bad rating, and I really enjoyed them.
Anime I've rated 6 aren't good, but at least they entertained me, so I can't say they're bad.
Jul 28, 2016 5:38 PM

Dec 2012
Anime I rated 5-6? Not really, I just won't be likely to rewatch them ever.

Anime I rated 1-4? Yeah, screw that stuff. Thanks for the bad memories that I can't unsee.

If you're talking about MAL collective mean scores on titles, then they don't mean jack.
KruszerJul 28, 2016 5:42 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 28, 2016 5:45 PM
May 2016
I found I enjoyed low rates anime before I really looked into MAL scores, however I haven't really watched anything really low rated (I plan to in the future) but so far the lowest rated show on MAL I've watched in the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya(which I didn't enjoy) but the two other shows ranked the lowest I've seen which I enjoy are Inou Battle Within Everyday Life and Trinity Seven
Jul 28, 2016 5:54 PM

Apr 2014
6's and 5's are anime that aren't great to me but could be amazing to someone else. 4's and belows are gargage
Jul 28, 2016 8:31 PM

Jul 2014
No. I guess it depends on personal taste. I've rated quite a bit of anime below 7 and I don't really hate them. It's mostly because of a lack in the story or a repetitive theme, which doesn't mean the anime is bad or something. For example, people seem to be rating Hataukoi Monster low this season, but I actually like it and I don't even watch squeaky romance.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jul 28, 2016 10:06 PM

Dec 2012
From my experience, anime scored below 7 on MAL tend to be more for niche, specific audiences. I just watched M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane (6.73) and really liked it despite but can easily see why it's not on the front page.
Jul 28, 2016 10:08 PM

Nov 2012
nah
houkago no pleiades was my AOTS of spring 2015 and yet it's only rated 6.82 ;_;
Jul 28, 2016 10:22 PM

Mar 2014
Not really, it just means the consensus among everyone who has watched it is that it's not that good.
Jul 29, 2016 2:24 AM

Jun 2016
There are some underrated gems out there but generally these anime are not very good.
Jul 29, 2016 2:28 AM

May 2015
sokawaiixd said:
There are plenty of anime with a really bad rating (like School days) that are really popular for diffrent reasons. Are anime that ain't as unique as School days just that "bad" or are they just overlooked by so many people?

I didn't enjoyed a few highly rated anime, but I guess there is the possibility that I could enjoy a bad rated one, feel free to suggest some of 'em in this thread.

#sokawaiixd

a 6 rating is only bad relatively, because MAL users generally like pretty much every anime ever so it must be bad for the rating to not be 9.89.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 29, 2016 2:37 AM

Aug 2015
It's all subjective OP, everybody has their own personal taste. Many people absolutely loved Attack on Titan for example, while I found it rather meh.

I never even look at the rating when choosing what to watch... I watch what seems interesting to me.
Jul 29, 2016 3:11 AM

Oct 2015
I would rather ask:
Are anime rated above 8 THAT good?

Because I've watched a lot of 8+ shows that I considered to be meh or flat out bad.

So basically, you're probably not going to fit in the mean for everything so there will probably be some shows rated below 7 that YOU will like, and that's fine.
Jul 29, 2016 3:26 AM

Jun 2015
Lobinde said:
I would rather ask:

Because I've watched a lot of 8+ shows that I considered to be meh or flat out bad.

So basically, you're probably not going to fit in the mean for everything so there will probably be some shows rated below 7 that YOU will like, and that's fine.

Most of the good stuff are in the 7 margin anyway. Their watchers score them at least a little objectively and they're not polluted by haters and bandwagon scorers.
Jul 29, 2016 4:05 AM

Mar 2016
I think anime that under 7 is still good (6.5 is average in my opinion)
but you must be difficult to find the series that called 'Hidden Gem'

And you will get a 'horrible watching' experience

Jul 29, 2016 4:05 AM

May 2012
I don't take MAL rating seriously. I have seen many boring anime rated above 8 (relife is a good example)

And many entertaining anime rated 6 and some few were rated even below 6.
Jul 29, 2016 6:24 AM

Dec 2014
A lot of shows with scores below a 7 tend to be very niche. For more recent shows below this margin, they generally are dropped by more casual viewers and only completed by the completionist types. These types either score very high or very low, with some in-between. Shorts/OVAs/ONAs are generally rated much lower compared to their full length brethren, though a few do exist above the 7/10 margin. (IE: Luluco, Galko-chan, Inferno Cop etc.) For older shows below a 7 its a bit of a doozy to talk about, but if you can blame anyone blame those who were on MAL before anime "boomed" again back in like 2011 or 2012. (I think it was around that time)

As for me, about 9 shows I rated 7+ (which is generally the range of series that I would recommend to others) EXCLUDING stuff airing this season, OVAs, shorts, ONAs etc. are rated below the 7/10 score range. (+2 more if you count 6 as a particularly good rating (I consider it to be an okay rating)) These shows are generally either very standard but in my opinion well executed works, or those that are extremely bizarre in a lot of ways. That being said even when watching one of these works I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like them much if at all.
Jul 29, 2016 10:54 AM

Jun 2015
The MAL rating for Akuma no Riddle saddens and confuses me. From that point on I no longer take ratings as seriously as before.
Jul 29, 2016 11:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
At least statistically speaking, shows below 7 do in fact tend to suck. That doesn't mean a few exceptions won't exist though

I think in general it's the more controversial shows like School Days, Yosuga no Sora etcetera which are worth checking out when it comes to low rated anime because they're so highly polarizing that you might still end up loving them. Shows which everyone just finds to be super average on the other hand you're probably better off avoiding
Jul 29, 2016 11:13 AM

Jan 2014
Some anime that are rated 7-8 are actually bad, yet people like them and rate them highly.
So, what can we learn from this? Mal community as a whole has shit taste and we can't rate Japanese cartoons properly.

It depends on what you see is bad, you can always just judge an anime by its rating here though..
Jul 29, 2016 2:25 PM

Jul 2015
Probably not, I usually rate the series I think are boring mostly below a 7 myself, I don't know about a combined rating of below 7 though, if a lot of users rate a series low, then it must be bad, or not very interesting though.
Jul 29, 2016 2:32 PM

Jul 2015
It is not like I've seen all the anime in the world, but from my experience, anything rated below 7 is not bad, but also not something remarkable. From 4 to 1, these are obviously my worst. 5 is anything that is barely watchable, just to kil your time. 6 is similar to 7, but either it's overall quality wasn't that great or i didn't enjoyed it as much as i wanted.
Jul 29, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2014
Maybe 4 or below is rated as bad.....7 is still a pretty good score meaning its a decent anime
Jul 29, 2016 6:17 PM

Dec 2015
@OP

You can actually find several anime rated below a seven that are decent. I don't know any of the top of my head.

Oh wait, the new Berserk 2016 adaptation. Its below a 7 just because people are salty about the CGI and the Lost Children Arc being cut out. I think its a decent anime, but far from a worthy adaptation.
Jul 29, 2016 7:39 PM

Apr 2016
Cejara said:
@OP

You can actually find several anime rated below a seven that are decent. I don't know any of the top of my head.

Oh wait, the new Berserk 2016 adaptation. Its below a 7 just because people are salty about the CGI and the Lost Children Arc being cut out. I think its a decent anime, but far from a worthy adaptation.

I guess it is true. My mean score is ~7 and most of the 7s are actually highly rated anime. There are also a few anime that are rated 7 from the community and a few unpopular anime that I enjoyed a lot, e.g. "REC" and "Gakkougurashi!" (rated both as 9).
Jul 29, 2016 7:40 PM

Dec 2015
sokawaiixd said:
Cejara said:
@OP

I guess it is true. My mean score is ~7 and most of the 7s are actually highly rated anime. There are also a few anime that are rated 7 from the community and a few unpopular anime that I enjoyed a lot, e.g. "REC" and "Gakkougurashi!" (rated both as 9).

I didn't even notice you were the thread starter xDDD.
Jul 29, 2016 8:12 PM

Apr 2016
Cejara said:
sokawaiixd said:

I didn't even notice you were the thread starter xDDD.

The MAL universe is small you know? Didn't realized that it is you too lol.
Jul 30, 2016 1:42 AM

May 2015
School Days was attention-grabbing and did something startling. It may not be as original as it wants, but such attention-grabbing anime are popular and hated at the same time. It's their nature that grabs you that makes people hate them.

But don't mind MAL's total ratings. It doesn't say anything. Rely on the premise and art instead.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 30, 2016 2:58 AM

Jun 2016
sometimes i have different taste than everyone else and i'll like a show that most rate below 7. just like some people really like shows that i rate below 7
Scream!
Jul 30, 2016 3:02 AM

Dec 2014
In MAL? Heck yeah, MAL rating system's broken anyway.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Jul 30, 2016 3:10 AM

Aug 2015
Below 7 on Mal is usually pretty bad, my limit is around 6.7. If it's below that, there has to be some kind of reason for me to pick that series.
Jul 30, 2016 3:17 AM

Jul 2009
Yeah, the Ace Attorney series is rated so lowly and I can't understand it. Absolutely loved every episode of it. Maybe it's because I played all the games and I am such a big fan and I don't care that much if the pacing is very fast, because I can follow it.
Jul 30, 2016 3:17 AM

Jun 2015
A good portion of anime rated below 7 are shorts. I've actually seen a lot of shorts and they can be very enjoyable, but they don't feel like complete stories so people rate them below 7 even when they were decent overall.

other times, they just really really suck, or it may be a bad adaptation of an otherwise decent or good manga and the manga readers stomp on it

I actually enjoyed Mayoiga which is rated below 6, but in a reality TV show type of way. It was slightly trippy, extremely overdramatic, tried to have a good moral but failed because most of the viewers aren't exactly into the 3deep5u stuff, had a controversial plot and horrible characters, but entertaining nonetheless.
Jul 30, 2016 4:21 AM

Dec 2015
Lobinde said:
I would rather ask:

Good point, I have find a lot of generic shit rated above 8 before, that sucked.
Jul 30, 2016 4:33 AM

Mar 2014
Hmmm, I have some animes with a 6 that I REALLY like ^^. You can think that all are opinions! :3
Jul 30, 2016 4:59 AM

Oct 2015
Personnaly i dont bother around with the MAL rating cuz you should watch anime based on your taste, i simply check the descirption and the tags and when ya got enough free time and nothin else to watch you simply give it a try for few episodes to sse how it is. There are plently of decent anime with low scores simply due ppls way of ranking anime....So yeh my suggestion is dont bother with the score and simply watch what ya want and like cuz for example for me JoJo that has 8~9 score is uttter shit and cant watch it even for 1min but for some its epic and idk what....
Jul 30, 2016 5:04 AM

Mar 2016
PoeticJustice said:
Not really. A lot of anime in the 8's are also very bad. Mal just isn't very consistent in how it views things.
i.e. Tokyo Ghoul

No seriously.
Jul 30, 2016 5:09 AM

Mar 2016
School Days is a great anime if you look under the surface, for one, so you are all incorrect if you wanna argue.
I consider all anime rated below 7 to be rather bad. Mostly because they're all boring. I rate a ton of anime 6/10 just because they bored me and I won't consider them "good". Anime below 6/10 are ones I would definitely never watch again and are ones I hate. A lot of anime MAL rates 6/10 are usually ones that I can expect to be boring. Then again, there are a lot of anime that MAL rates 7/10 and I find them 6/10 worthy, or 8/10 and I find them 7/10 worthy.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jul 30, 2016 5:19 AM

Aug 2015
Well, first of all, it all comes down to preference. You already said that you hated some in the 8 zone so there's no reason for you to not like those below 7

Well, the lowest rated anime that I actually liked would be mayoiga. It's at 5.something lol but you probably won't like this one

Try nobunaga the fool. I'm not a fan of mecha but this is one of the few that I actually like from the genre

Edit: I just checked but nobunaga the fool actually has quite a lot of positive reviews so there you go, it's below 7 but it seems like it managed to impress the people who actually decided to leave a review. Some people probably thought that the premise was too absurd and decided drop it and give it a 1
Jul 30, 2016 9:42 AM

Jun 2011
I think I have even liked anime rated with a 5 before... but that is mostly hentai/yaoi stuff...

Call me tonight : rated 5.50 and I ended up liking it because 80's cheese I think... I really like that sort of thing. I sometimes like stupid stuff... Could probably be considered so bad it is good but not in the same way as Cipher the Video. XD.
Energetic-NovaJul 30, 2016 9:50 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

25 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
16 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.