Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2016 2:28 PM

Mar 2014
So, awhile ago, Digibro released that cute little video where he explains how people seem like they put certain shows in their favorites to project an image of good taste, specifically shows that don't get criticized by anyone, calling this the most boring taste.

Now I ask you, noble citizens of MAL, what do you consider the most boring taste in anime. You may list examples, construct a specific top ten, or talk about the types of shows you find boring as favorites, but please explain why.

For me it looks a bit like this:

Some combination of Urobuchi shows, probably Fate/Zero, maybe Madoka, Psycho-Pass works as well, but I see it less often. His shows explain their characters ideologies in an easily digestible way which is actually a good thing in my opinion, ideas don't need to be inaccessible, but such a wide array characters with attached ideologies combined with dark stories mean his shows end up on a ton of lists.

FMA is another big one. I would almost call it the perfect anime, so it's hardly a surprise it ends up in so many favorites but it's the top favorited and #2 top rated (for the moment). It's like saying Pink Floyd is one of your favorite bands, it's everyone's favorite band. Yawn. HunterxHunter and Steins;Gate for the same reasons, though these shows may not be quite as boring depending what else is on that list.

Attack on Titan, Code Geass, and Death Note to a lesser extent even though it's the #2 favorited show. AoT for fairly obvious reasons, massively popular, everywhere at conventions, everywher you look AoT. It's pretty much the same situation as above but it applies outside of MAL as well. Was Code Geass the same way when it was released? I don't know, but it tends to make it's way onto all the lists with F/Z, AoT, and others listed.

You can probably tell that what this really comes down to is seeing the same shows over and over and over again. Fate/Zero, Code Geass, Death Note, Madoka, Steins;Gate, just to give an example top 5. I'm definitely not saying the shows themselves are boring, I like most of these, and I'm not accusing anyone of trying to project an image, I just find these lists boring. Don't care? Good, you shouldn't, but people like to judge each other based on stupid things, let's not pretend otherwise. Now have fun, post your answers, or just insult me and call my thread shit, the world is your burrito.

EDIT: This is not the most boring shows in your favorites list, I'm asking for your opinion on what is the most boring taste in anime.

I realize that it's totally unfair to label people's taste as boring on such superficial grounds, but as you can see by the number of replies, people love this shit, and if other people judging legitimately doesn't bother you then you shouldn't have any negative reaction to this thread unless you are categorically against superficial judgements which is silly since everybody makes them.
merryfistmasJul 28, 2016 5:35 PM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 27, 2016 2:31 PM

Oct 2014
People who just add the most popular seasonals to their favourites list. They're too influenced by other people's opinions and don't seem to have much respect for older anime.
Jul 27, 2016 2:31 PM

Jul 2015
I thought people with good taste hate the Urobutcher though?
Sup...
Jul 27, 2016 2:36 PM

May 2012
LOGH. A boring show that tells you what to think and people think they have some insight into politics because they watched the show. It is like the poster show that makes people think they are an intellectual.

FMAB. Probably the safest show in existence, although it is a good show. It just tells me you don't like anything that goes beyond your comfort zone.

Code Geass. I could understand if you liked Code Geass when it just came out, but now it is too passe. Like it has so many issues that really cripples the show.

Attack on Titan. Same as code geass.

Those are some anime that really kill my interest in the person.
Jul 27, 2016 2:41 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Probably either
a) Super generic elitist list consisting of some combination of LoGH, Evangelion, GitS, Monster, Texhnolyze, Mushishi, Serial Experiments Lain, Ping Pong, The Tatami Galaxy etcetera
b) List of literally nothing but the most mainstream battle shounens

Though everyone likes different things so I don't really think there's any point in caring in the first place. Just mind your own business
Jul 27, 2016 2:42 PM
Jan 2013
Mushishi, Lain, Texhnolyze stuff like that

It feels like they don't know how to be happy and shits and it's pretty a opposite from my stuff

And then it comes the popular stuffs
gone bai bai
Jul 27, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2016
SenpaiJay98 said:

Serious repply: Urobuchi is a pretty good writer, but there is definetly some unwarranted praise to his works, for example, Fate/Zero's first season lacks a lot of dramatic conflict, has loads of exposition dumps of "Most of the people watching this have never read Fate/Stay Night", Saber's character and her honour feel like they were flanderized compared to the original VN, and just like in said VN, the Light Novel has it's fair share of cringe-worthy lines (Kiritsugu literally enjoys eating burgers because he likes "The taste of slaughter", im not joking).

And while Fate/Zero is the only of his works i've watched, im sure his other works are good, but also not the perfect "tenouttaten" masterpieces people hype the up them.
DeadAccount79Jul 27, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 27, 2016 2:43 PM

Feb 2016
@merryfistmas @PoeticJustice looking at your profile pictuers made me laugh hard
Seriously dude ..
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jul 27, 2016 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
SenpaiJay98 said:

Erm not so sure abt that. I always see biploarized reactions of his shows.
For me, it's those fgts who add all the overhyped seasonal stuffs.
Jul 27, 2016 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
Mkim said:

It feels like they don't know how to be happy and shits and it's pretty a opposite from my stuff

Hey man, Mushishi can be happy too.

I agree though. If I told people I really liked Psycho Pass, Berserk and Mushishi (which I do); I'd probably get a '3mature5u' tag or something.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 27, 2016 2:44 PM

Jun 2015
Obligatory LotGH/Mushishi/Tex answer.
Jul 27, 2016 2:46 PM

May 2012
hisokathebutcher said:
@merryfistmas @PoeticJustice looking at your profile pictuers made me laugh hard
Seriously dude ..

wat is so funny about spawn bruh? WE REALLY OUT HERE
Jul 27, 2016 2:46 PM

Jun 2015
PoeticJustice said:
FMAB. Probably the safest show in existence, although it is a good show. It just tells me you don't like anything that goes beyond your comfort zone.

I have FMA:B and Evangelion in my faves, though :c

Besides I could say the same thing about Mushishi.
Jul 27, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 2015
Whatever their list is if they are not able to explain other people why they think those shows are good. If someone can give me a proper explanation of, for example, why he likes AoT, I can with that. If someone start saying they like Evangelion because it's deep or something as shallow as this, I hung myself.

Jul 27, 2016 2:48 PM

Feb 2016
Ragix said:
Mkim said:

I agree though. If I told people I really liked Psycho Pass, Berserk and Mushishi; I'd probably get a '3mature5u' tag or something.

Your signature say it all mate , it say it all
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jul 27, 2016 2:48 PM

May 2012
AltoRoark said:
PoeticJustice said:

I have FMA:B and Evangelion in my faves, though :c

Besides I could say the same thing about Mushishi.

only real niggas like mushishi. i havent met someone who isn't an artistic genius who doesn't like mushishi. real shit.
Jul 27, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
1- The shounen listing ones, specially when including FMAB and HunterxHunter as the best two.

2- LoTGH, Texhnolize, Aria, Mushishi, The Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, Haibane Renmei, Lain, Evangelion, Kara no Kyoukai, etc.

This comes from the casual with shit taste that finished like 2 or 3 of the ones I mentioned, and basically has a list of 2010+ anime as favourites because it's pretty much all I watched.
Jul 27, 2016 2:52 PM
Jan 2013
Ragix said:
I mentioned Mushishis cause it was the first thing that came to mind after I saw the word boring .^.
gone bai bai
Jul 27, 2016 2:54 PM

Nov 2011
hisokathebutcher said:
Ragix said:

I agree though. If I told people I really liked Psycho Pass, Berserk and Mushishi; I'd probably get a '3mature5u' tag or something.

Your signature say it all mate , it say it all

Dang, didn't even take me out to dinner before doing me like that.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 27, 2016 2:55 PM

Feb 2016
The most boring taste would include crap like DBZ, Naruto, Clannad etc.
Jul 27, 2016 2:56 PM

Mar 2015
PoeticJustice said:
LOGH. A boring show that tells you what to think and people think they have some insight into politics because they watched the show. It is like the poster show that makes people think they are an intellectual.

How could you say that if you've never seen it? Unless you just didn't add it to your list.
Jul 27, 2016 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
If it's all stuff like Death Note, Attack on Titan, SAO, Naruto, One Piece... basically everything that's insanely popular. I find those lists really boring.
Jul 27, 2016 2:57 PM

Dec 2014
Any favourites list that consists of the same genre. For example all of the 10 are action/adventure..not saying this is bad, just bland.
Jul 27, 2016 2:59 PM

May 2012
MechaGuy said:
PoeticJustice said:

How could you say that if you've never seen it? Unless you just didn't add it to your list.

By LOGH I mean legend of the galactic heroes. my apologies for the confusion. it is on my list and I wrote a review on it if you are interested in my actual views.
Jul 27, 2016 2:59 PM

Feb 2016
okay that's it for crying out load the whole 3deep5u animus shit , how many of them do we have ? 20 ? 25 ?
It's always the same shit LoGH, Evangelion, GitS, Monster, Texhnolyze, Mushishi, Serial Experiments Lain, Ping Pong , PP , Code Geass , and some say school days , and nowdays fate/zero . YOU CAN wach them all in a damn week and after finishing them you can read spolier blogs that explain ( its nonesense by the way ) then add them and act like an elitist . That is it , that all you have to do . And if someone ask just say " i like them because there are deep animus not for filthy casuals "
Jul 27, 2016 3:00 PM

May 2015
-obvious try-hard lists of people changing their taste to look smarter
-lists of the people who only watch the popular seasonal shows
-lists of people who watch all the popular anime that also have high scores cause they are mature adults that can tell "good writing".(FMA:B, HxH 2011, Steins;Gate, Code Geass, Hellsing Ultimate) and just have mostly really safe choices in their top 10.

Best taste:
-RainyRai taste
that's it.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 27, 2016 3:00 PM

May 2012
hisokathebutcher said:
okay that's it for crying out load the whole 3deep5u animus shit , how many of them do we have ? 20 ? 25 ?
It's always the same shit LoGH, Evangelion, GitS, Monster, Texhnolyze, Mushishi, Serial Experiments Lain, Ping Pong , PP , Code Geass , and some say school days , and nowdays fate/zero . YOU CAN wach them all in a damn week and after finishing them you can read spolier blogs that explain ( its nonesense by the way ) then add them and act like an elitist . That is it , that all you have to do . And if someone ask just say " i like them because there are deep animus not for filthy casuals "

I can attest to this, because it is all i do. MUWHAhaHAHA
Jul 27, 2016 3:01 PM

Mar 2015
PoeticJustice said:
MechaGuy said:

By LOGH I mean legend of the galactic heroes. my apologies for the confusion. it is on my list and I wrote a review on it if you are interested in my actual views.

Whoopsies, I clicked on the wrong person. I haven't seen the show and it's pretty lengthy, so I'll probably check out your review sometime.
Jul 27, 2016 3:02 PM
Jul 2016
Watch these shows and the shows only:

2. Use all buzzwords possible.

3. Believe in the concept "Objectively Good Opinions".
DeadAccount79Jul 27, 2016 3:06 PM
Jul 27, 2016 3:06 PM

Sep 2014
I once saw someone put rewrite on their list 5 times pre-release but we'll call that an exception.

I get bored when people put several sequels in their top 10, like 5x gintama or something.

Jul 27, 2016 3:08 PM

Sep 2014

I don't recognise most, do I get a fail at life? :D

Jul 27, 2016 3:10 PM

Jul 2010
I admit, even though I don't believe in having a "boring" taste in anime, Cowboy Bebop is one of those shows that even though I loved it as much as the next guy, whenever I see it in someone's top 5 or even their no. 1 favorite anime, I kinda roll my eyes and go "Of course."

I like Space Dandy better.

But as I mentioned, I don't like the idea of "boring" taste. It insinuates that I'm making these lists or picking my favorites just to entertain you, and that I, in some way, worry about what people think of me and the shows that I watch.
KillerTune12Jul 27, 2016 3:18 PM
Jul 27, 2016 3:14 PM

Jan 2016
From the anime listed boring = elitist.

I guess having The Tatamy Galaxy and Gits in my favorites makes me a boring wannabe elitist.
Jul 27, 2016 3:15 PM
Jul 2016
ScarletSentry said:

Clock-wise from the upper left: Tatami Galaxy, Haibane Renmei, Berserk (Manga, not Anime in this case), Texhnolyze, Mushishi, Kaiba, Ergo Proxy, Monster, Welcome to the NHK, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Aria: The Animation (It's not like all other Moeshit shows, this one is like, mature and stuff), Kino's Journey (The only LN adaptation that is not complete pandering garbage) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (This one should be your favorite, if it's not your favorite, then you're dumb.)
Jul 27, 2016 3:17 PM

Sep 2012
Their favorite characters are filled with interchangeable waifus and they like harem trash.
Jul 27, 2016 3:19 PM
Aug 2014
Murozaki said:

That's 80% of my favorites right there.
Jul 27, 2016 3:22 PM

Apr 2014
i liked mayoiya, most ppl here find it boring i guess.
Jul 27, 2016 3:25 PM

Jun 2012
Kona_Kana said:
Murozaki said:

That's 80% of my favorites right there.

That makes you 80% hipster. COngrats fam.
Jul 27, 2016 3:27 PM
Mar 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
People who just add the most popular seasonals to their favourites list. They're too influenced by other people's opinions and don't seem to have much respect for older anime.

could not agree more friend .........
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 27, 2016 3:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
as someone who doesn't like digibros videos, im afraid to say i have to agree 200% with that one

anyone whos lists are mostly critically acclaimed shows that no one will question.... basically anyone who only watches shows that people tell them are amazing or people who care so much about watching the top 100

its just that theres no personality or character in a list like that and looks very elitist or fake

Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:
If it's all stuff like Death Note, Attack on Titan, SAO, Naruto, One Piece... basically everything that's insanely popular. I find those lists really boring.

oh and this too... wow.. i actually agree with something you said

as far as ecchi fans go....

anyone on the DxD (especially), No game no life, Prison school, Monogatari etc train....

and monogatari is one of my top 5 favorite anime series.... but still i feel much of this is just people trying to fit in

HaXXspetten said:
Probably either
a) Super generic elitist list consisting of some combination of LoGH, Evangelion, GitS, Monster, Texhnolyze, Mushishi, Serial Experiments Lain, Ping Pong, The Tatami Galaxy etcetera

says the guy with nothing but 8.0's on his list ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EcchiGodMamsterJul 27, 2016 3:42 PM
Jul 27, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2016
Murozaki said:
ScarletSentry said:

Clock-wise from the upper left: Tatami Galaxy, Haibane Renmei, Berserk (Manga, not Anime in this case), Texhnolyze, Mushishi, Kaiba, Ergo Proxy, Monster, Welcome to the NHK, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Aria: The Animation (It's not like all other Moeshit shows, this one is like, mature and stuff), Kino's Journey (The only LN adaptation that is not complete pandering garbage) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (This one should be your favorite, if it's not your favorite, then you're dumb.)
i can't belive welcome to the nhk is "2deep" i mean the show is just romcom . Did this people even watch the suicide arc ? Or the scam arc ? Just because the first 8 episodes are great and the fact that sato is delusional doesn't make psycological shit ( did i even write that word right ?)
Jul 27, 2016 3:45 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Mamster-P said:
HaXXspetten said:
Probably either

says the guy with nothing but 8.0's on his list ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
uhm... what? not entirely sure what you're referring to here..
Jul 27, 2016 3:46 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Mamster-P said:

i was joking that your favorites list is nothing but highly rated anime with some acclaimed shows
Jul 27, 2016 3:51 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Mamster-P said:
HaXXspetten said:

i was joking that your favorites list is nothing but highly rated anime with some acclaimed shows
Uhm... yeah... that doesn't have anything to do with what I said though :s
Point was that most elitists have literally those exact same shows plus maybe 2-3 more as their favorites, has nothing to do with their MAL score
Jul 27, 2016 3:52 PM

Mar 2014
hisokathebutcher said:
These lists are the best because they tell me what to watch next. I'm only 5 episodes into LoGH and it's already counteracted the IQ loss I experienced from last nights butt chug and Strike Witches binge.

Mamster-P said:

as far as ecchi fans go....

anyone on the DxD (especially), No game no life, Prison school, Monogatari etc train....

and monogatari is one of my top 5 favorite anime series.... but still i feel much of this is just people trying to fit in
Monogatari series is definitely easy to like while still allowing you to hate on ecchi as much as possible. You can pull the 'muh symbolism' card and talk about how the fan service contributes to the deep characterization of all the waifus.

I totally forgot Bebop and Evanjellyon, thanks for reminding me guys.
KiraMustDie said:
I admit, even though I don't believe in having a "boring" taste in anime, Cowboy Bebop is one of those shows that even though I loved it as much as the next guy, whenever I see it in someone's top 5 or even their no. 1 favorite anime, I kinda roll my eyes and go "Of course."

I like Space Dandy better.

But as I mentioned, I don't like the idea of "boring" taste. It insinuates that I'm making these lists or picking my favorites just to entertain you, and that I, in some way, worry about what people think of me and the shows that I watch.
I was under the impression this forum's sole purpose was to entertain me. Agree on Space Dandy.
Jul 27, 2016 3:54 PM

Jan 2015
All slice of life. Except a few comedies

Serial experiments lain, stein gates, boy bebop. Black cat, oh god the list just goes on its making me sleep, my dropped list should do the trick, after all it's longer than some peoples dick

ur opinion = shit
Jul 27, 2016 3:56 PM

Mar 2014
ezlord said:
All slice of life. Except a few comedies

Serial experiments lain, stein gates, boy bebop. Black cat, oh god the list just goes on its making me sleep, my dropped list should do the trick, after all it's longer than some peoples dick
I measured your dropped list, and can confirm it is longer than my dick.
Jul 27, 2016 3:57 PM

Oct 2014
Looking at the Comments, all I see is ppl just Judging others based on their favourites.

If you love Popular stuff more then they get Criticized for being a sheep
and if they like the ubscure stuff more then they are Called "ouch Elitists" or "Hipsters"

so in other words, ppl will no matter what Always criticize others no matter what!
Jul 27, 2016 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
merryfistmas said:
Now I ask you, noble citizens of MAL[...]

Sorry, I recently just immigrated to MAL, so I don't have my citizenship yet.
Jul 27, 2016 4:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Uhm... yeah... that doesn't have anything to do with what I said though :s
Point was that most elitists have literally those exact same shows plus maybe 2-3 more as their favorites, has nothing to do with their MAL score

i know, i was just fucking with you... although lists of nothing but mid to high 8.0s are GENERALLY boring to me

merryfistmas said:
Monogatari series is definitely easy to like while still allowing you to hate on ecchi as much as possible. You can pull the 'muh symbolism' card and talk about how the fan service contributes to the deep characterization of all the waifus.

yea but im more talking about the people who claim to like ecchi then point to it as an example.... liking the monogatari series does not make you an ecchi fan lol

like i said with DxD... DxD is NOT popular because its ecchi, its popular because it "has a plot that incorporates ecchi" to me that is boring and does not make you an ecchi fan

to me a real ecchi fan (not boring) is watching 5.0s to low 7s or just shows that show ass n titties for the sake of showing ass n titties

OH... HOW COULD I FORGET?

people who won't watch a show without a plot

people who only like really actiony shows

people who thinks everything generic is bad

people who only like mature shows

people who dont think certain genres can mix
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 9 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

92 by JaniSIr »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

49 by fae »»
6 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.