Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss: (insert anime) changed my life forever and this is how.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 28, 2016 7:28 AM

Dec 2015
Nashila said:
Cejara said:
Watching Higurashi changed my life, since it was the anime that got me really into anime. Before that I was a casual anime watcher, but after I watched Higurashi is when my interest in anime went up by alot. It made me the anime fan I am today.

Oh yeah, and now I like insanely torturing and murdering people because of it now as well.
^ this is why higurashi adaption is bad, it conveys different message from source.
the source does have torture and such but it isn't a big part/focus of series as anime made it out to be.
well, it's fine if we don't compare it to the source though.

Oh, I was just kidding about that last part, its the last reason why I like Higurashi. I like it because of the themes and universe ryukishi07 has created between Higurashi, Umineko, and Hotarubi and then of course the intricate plot self-contained within each separate series.

I have read the VN, and it doesn't quite convey all the themes of the actual story. I mean it would be hard to do that from such a huge franchise with a huge amount of content per a VN. I still think it portrays some of those themes well in the 2nd season though. Especially the themes of despair, hope, and paranoia.
Jul 28, 2016 7:39 AM

Aug 2015
Cejara said:
Nashila said:
^ this is why higurashi adaption is bad, it conveys different message from source.
the source does have torture and such but it isn't a big part/focus of series as anime made it out to be.
well, it's fine if we don't compare it to the source though.

Oh, I was just kidding about that last part, its the last reason why I like Higurashi. I like it because of the themes and universe ryukishi07 has created between Higurashi, Umineko, and Hotarubi and then of course the intricate plot self-contained within each separate series.

I have read the VN, and it doesn't quite convey all the themes of the actual story. I mean it would be hard to do that from such a huge franchise with a huge amount of content per a VN. I still think it portrays some of those themes well in the 2nd season though. Especially the themes of despair, hope, and paranoia.
Not really, it may has subtle feeling but still the majority of paranoia, despair, eerie atmosphere are lacking, a lot. instead of paranoia, we just get like, a guy got scare by psycho lolis. Instead of portraying inner conflict of Renne, she was turned into just a psycho loli. Sakoto despair and her reason to overcome it become "Blind friendship power". Shion, Rika and Tanaka character also lacking.
Well, again, it's fine as anime but if when comparing to the source I just can't help but to call it bad.
Jul 28, 2016 8:01 AM

Dec 2015
Nashila said:
Cejara said:

Not really, it may has subtle feeling but still the majority of paranoia, despair, eerie atmosphere are lacking, a lot. instead of paranoia, we just get like, a guy got scare by psycho lolis. Instead of portraying inner conflict of Renne, she was turned into just a psycho loli. Sakoto despair and her reason to overcome it become "Blind friendship power". Shion, Rika and Tanaka character also lacking.
Well, again, it's fine as anime but if when comparing to the source I just can't help but to call it bad.

Yeah you're right if you are definitely comparing it to the original source. As a standalone it is pretty good though, if you don't know there is a better source for it out there. We on the other hand do ^_^. Its kind of like the Umineko trainwreck lol, people probably judged Umineko on the anime when the VN is amazing.
Jul 28, 2016 1:27 PM

Jul 2016
for me it probably was inazuma eleven. i dont know why i even started watching it in the first place, but i did. i stumbled about it somehow and started watching the first episode, and the next one, and the one after that etc. i was hooked from the start. truth be told, i dont know if i would liked it if id watch it now. i mean, it was like 4-5 years ago and my taste in anime then was... well, different from my taste now. but anyways, i loved it.

i still remember watching most of inazuma eleven with german subs, but the subber just started subbing the anime (or moreover the person who started uploading the subs to yt). so i caught up rather quickly. in need for more inazuma eleven i actually tried myself at english subs. but to that time, my english sucked ass and it didnt really worked out. but i didnt gave up. i just wanted to watch more so badly, i was seriously crazy about inazuma eleven. it took me a few weeks and i started paying more attention in my english classes, so i could watch inazuma eleven. im pretty embarrassed about it now, tbh.

so i started watching the episodes with english subs, and then watched the episodes again with the german subs. when i found out that the inazuma eleven games were actually released here in germany, i ran to my mom and got her to buy me inazuma eleven and inazuma eleven: blizzard for my ds. i swear, i played the games already like 20 times. i watched inazuma eleven go, but when it came to chrono stone, i kind off never got the same feeling as with the first part and when i grew older, i kind off grew out of my inazuma eleven obsession. or so i thought.

3 years ago or so, which was shortly after i was dropped out of school, got diagnosed with several mental illnesses... basically a pretty dark time in my life, i started watching inazuma eleven (as i saw the announcement for galaxy) again and fell in love with it once more. the characters are just so amazing. yes, yes, its a kids anime, but somehow i just feel so connected to this series. i love everything about it. the absurd soccer, the penguins, the setting, the character interactions, their struggle... seriously, everything. in some kind of way, even though its not the first anime i watched, inazuma eleven is that anime i feel nostalgic for.

thanks to inazuma eleven im way more into anime than i was before, i started doing better in school. and it helped me a lot with my depression and suicidal thoughts, because i actually had something in my life i can look forward to. seriously this show changed my life so much.
Jul 28, 2016 1:57 PM
Anime Moderator
Jan 2014
In all honesty I think it's safe to say the only way anime has impacted me is my weight and social status. :^)

It's a void because I enjoy watching all the cuties hooking up and wishing I could get a h0t date while rapidly decreasing the chances that will actually happen to me.
Jul 29, 2016 1:38 AM

Oct 2011
I wouldn'r say 'changed my life' but they definitly influenced me: SO Oh yeah, Love Live!!, like I loved the series, but what 'changed' me was Rin's episode. It's funny because she isn't even my fave, but when my sister and I finished that episode we both were like: "Wth, that episode could've been about you." The funny thing is that I didn't realize I was like that until I watched Love Live!, so yeah. That episode influenced my behavior and thus changed my life.

Another one that influenced my mindset, were the Gundam series (in particular 00 because I got so attached to the characters), especially because there's little to no 'right' and 'wrong' in most of them, so you need to think for yourself and who has your support. It made me think about the point of conflict, the value of your own life, how fucked up humanity is, how we need to make choices we don't want to and mainly how we take peace for granted.
Jul 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Jul 2016
Lypse said:
I wouldn'r say 'changed my life' but they definitly influenced me: SO Oh yeah, Love Live!!, like I loved the series, but what 'changed' me was Rin's episode. It's funny because she isn't even my fave, but when my sister and I finished that episode we both were like: "Wth, that episode could've been about you." The funny thing is that I didn't realize I was like that until I watched Love Live!, so yeah. That episode influenced my behavior and thus changed my life.

Another one that influenced my mindset, were the Gundam series (in particular 00 because I got so attached to the characters), especially because there's little to no 'right' and 'wrong' in most of them, so you need to think for yourself and who has your support. It made me think about the point of conflict, the value of your own life, how fucked up humanity is, how we need to make choices we don't want to and mainly how we take peace for granted.

Man, I always loved Rin cause I thought she had something special, but never figured out why. When I saw that episode, I immedeately said "best girl, 10/10, all other girls are crap". Besides, her sieyuu has the sweetest voice. only tied to Nozomi's and Maki's. Anyway, Honoka comes in a close second place.
Jul 29, 2016 2:37 PM

Oct 2011
deathdjentcore said:
Lypse said:

Man, I always loved Rin cause I thought she had something special, but never figured out why. When I saw that episode, I immedeately said "best girl, 10/10, all other girls are crap". Besides, her sieyuu has the sweetest voice. only tied to Nozomi's and Maki's. Anyway, Honoka comes in a close second place.

Rin is such a sweetie. Singing-wise I like her and Umi's voice the best, which is why I love Lily White so much aaahhh// What I liked about that episode is that pretty much everyone's reaction on Rin was: "Ah. She's not special." and it's actually that fact that made her episode such a good one!
Aug 4, 2016 3:41 PM
Dec 2015
There are three big ones that changed me majorly.

Your Lie in April- I used to think that anime was all action shows with special effects to cover up a shitty plot. Your Lie in April was the first show to truly change my perspective on anime as a medium. It is thanks to this show that I am the anime fan I am today.

Gurren Lagann- This one was recommended to me by a friend so many times that it got annoying. I thought it would be another shitty action show with cool explosions to cover for a bad story. I was totally wrong. The story was amazing, with an epic scope and inspirational message carried by a great cast of characters. It is thanks to Gurren Lagann that I have decided to branch out to genres other than Slice of Life and Drama/Romance.

Clannad- This one changed me the most. It changed my whole perspective on life and not just my view on cartoons. I never had the best relationship with my family. We were distant and only talked during dinner and stuff like that. After watching both seasons of Clannad, I was broken on the inside. I didn't understand the ending so much, or the message it was trying to give, but damn was it emotional. After learning more about Kyoto Animation's style, and how to interpret the directing tricks and vague foreshadowing Clannad used, I watched both seasons again. This time, I wasn't just broken: I was crushed into tiny pieces. With my new knowledge of the studio, I was finally able to understand the full story, including the ending. I gained a new perspective on the importance of family. It is because of Clannad that I have reached out to my family and aimed for a better relationship. Clannad also convinced me that I want to start my own family. It is truly a story that has impacted my life more than any other.
Aug 4, 2016 3:45 PM
Mar 2016
"Boku Dake ga Inai Machi" for me actually. It just gave me a better appreciation for my life, and gave me a little hope for my future. I know this sounds super cliché but, idk its true.
Aug 4, 2016 4:05 PM
Jul 2016
I don't know if it changed me, but the show that had the most impact on me is probably Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne.

I say it didn't change me, because as a person it really didn't, but in terms of how I write and develop characters and stories, it definitely affected me. It was effectively the show that I had always wanted to write, a story focused around characters with dark themes that don't feel hyper edgy because the characters actually treat them with weight. In a way, I guess I could say it gave me something to aspire to, or at least a sort of lens to see my work through and compare it to. So it didn't really "change" me per se, but it did influence me as much as anything else that has ever influenced me.
Aug 4, 2016 4:16 PM

Dec 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion changed my way to see this medium and start watching anime more critically
Toradora made me almost fall in love with one character, and i felt depresssed like 3 days after finishing
But especially Clannad: After Story changed my entire life, being the only THING that made me cry and made me better person i think. I don't care if almost anyone undestood the ending, and while the anime is not perfect, is 10 for me.
Aug 4, 2016 4:26 PM

May 2016
Wow, such a grand story from the OP, I'm fascinated...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Aug 4, 2016 4:39 PM
Apr 2016
Soul eater and Ouran high school host club both changed my life. I used to be scared that being afraid wasn't a good thing and that I was weak because of it but the end of soul eater(anime not manga<tho soon I will read the manga>)when maka was scared of the kishin it made me think if she is scared and yet is still strong than if I am scared in a certain situation it's okay because it means I am strong. Ouran helped me embrace my quirky and crazy individuality. So many characters in that are open about their wacky personalities so why can't I. Both also helped me embrace who I am rather than wanting to change myself so I could be what is an unrealistic expectation. I still rewatch them all the time because of how it changed my life for the better. I'm glad I am who I am today because of ouran and soul eater helping me embrace my quirky personality which my friends love me for.
Aug 4, 2016 4:54 PM

Nov 2013
Angel Beats!, Clannad and Another

Imagine...you're 18 and you suck in life. In fact, school is the only thing that keeps you of suicide, cause you've been bullied for several years and still hope you make it through life. Yup, that's my life.

The reason i still live is because of the 3 anime and Angels Beats especially. They literally changed my life.

In the summer of 2013, i googled somewhat and found out about Another. Life sucked, so what could i lose? I decided to watch and became a little bit otaku. That anime gaved me tears and joy after long years.

Next one i watched was Angel Beats; the real reason of all. It changed me so good, that i've got a tattoo of its logo and the text 'Ichiban no takaramono.
It taught me that life isn't easy for anyone, but you must get through. In the end, everything can happen and who knows... life can be fun indeed.

The anime was the best mix of sadness, joy, drama, fun i've ever seen and still is. Grass isn't greener at the neighbours house, so keep that in mind. Every life is precious, but only yourself can give it a meaning!

And Clannad is a real tearjerker. It taught me to express my feeling and that it's not needed for a man to hold on to his feelings or to hide them. It showed me that miracles, sometimes, really exists!

I hope that i could inspire someone with my story and in the end, i may not complain anymore. Almost 22 and within 3 years i got some good friends, a steady life with work and the best GF i could ever wish or should deserve! :)
''Every life is valuable, but only yourself could give it a meaning''
Aug 4, 2016 4:56 PM
Oct 2015
now for me, i would definitely say love live was a big influence which turned me into a hardcode idol fan iM@S>LL , but thats definitely not enough to make me change. i actually hated the fanbase and the unnecessary nicomaki shipping, but the one anime that changed things for me was SAO. yeah, its hard to admit a piece of trash like that made me avidly watch anime.
Aug 4, 2016 6:05 PM
Aug 2016
Hello everyone, my name is Christina Ammel, I'm new to MAL, but I wanted to share my story on how the anime film Steamboy changed my life forever.
Growing up as a child, I was always treated differently, and not in the best way. I was shunned, left on the playground bench, teased, and mostly bullied because to everyone else I was strange. For so long, I didn't know whether being strange to them was a good or bad thing, and I never was given the chance to find out who I was individually. By the time I started junior high, things got worse with how other kids treated me, however, it wasn't going to be like that for long and I didn't even know it. When I was finishing up my homework after school, my father told me to come into the living room because he put on a new movie that he thought I would like. The movie was Steamboy, and it was created by Katsuhiro Otomo, who also created the anime masterpiece Akira back in 1988. l had made myself comfortable, at first I thought it was very interesting, but as I continued to watch it, my eyes wouldn't leave the screen. I was hooked! By the time the ending credits faded to black, I felt as if I had been woken up and my eyes had been opened to a whole new outlook on my own life. As for the main character and hero of the film, James Ray Steam, he was the person that I adored, looked up to, and admired. He had become my hero, whom he still is to this day, and always will be.
Ever since that day, my life had become better bit by bit, I had discovered my artistic gift, was inspired to become a character designer and hopefully create a character and a story that would be just as inspiring as Steamboy was to me. I devote the pursuit of my dreams and myself as a person to Steamboy (the movie and Ray himself), because without either, I probably wouldn't be here right now. There is one last thing I want to say, thank you Katsuhiro Otomo for bringing Steamboy to the works, because he saved my life.
Aug 4, 2016 6:37 PM

Mar 2014
Anohana, it made me start valuing my time, not just with friends, but also with family. Every second matters and every memory matters :)
Aug 4, 2016 9:26 PM

Jul 2014
No Game No Life changed my life forever. I used to have the mindset that no show, no matter how bad, would be able to be completely devoid of any likeable characters.

It proved me wrong! :o
Aug 4, 2016 10:08 PM

Nov 2013
For me, it was sora no otoshimono (also the first anime I've watched)

Before watching it, I never understood the appeal of a 2d character. Like they're basically drawing with someone voicing over it, so how can people be so attracted to it?

Then I watched it....there's no turning back.

here i am
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Aug 5, 2016 6:05 AM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
To Love-Ru, cause oppais and oshiris
Aug 5, 2016 11:33 AM

Jul 2014
Hentai ouji to warawanai-neko for me.....made me learn smth in life....which is to value and take care of what you have with you....whether is a thing or someone important. :|
Aug 5, 2016 11:53 AM

Feb 2016
I guess the only anime I could say that somewhat impacted my life considerably was Death Note. Not directly anyway. I didn't really care about anime until I was about 25. After working in Japan for a while, I decided to give anime a try and I picked Death Note. It was great and therefore sparked my further interest in anime. Now anime has become my main source of entertainment. There was a big chance that if I happened to pick something average or crap, I would just give up on anime after the first try.
Aug 5, 2016 4:54 PM

Jun 2015
I have plenty of life changing anime.
Naruto, Darker Than Black, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Shimoneta, Berserk, Fullmetal Alchemist. and they all did something different for me.

but Rock Lee From Naruto taught me that I can be a genius too even if I was not as talented as my peers. Pein taught me that good and evil are two sides of the same coin. Itachi taught me that the Bond between brother is the strongest thing in the world.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
Sep 2, 2016 7:52 AM

Jul 2016
suitangi said:
Anohana, it made me start valuing my time, not just with friends, but also with family. Every second matters and every memory matters :)

Oh dude, Love Live changed my life, but Anohana destroyed it, in a good way that is. It made the same impact it did on you. I still can't get myself to watch it again, it's too hard for me to ever watch Anohana again.
Sep 2, 2016 7:57 AM

Jul 2016
gait_man said:
Angel Beats!, Clannad and Another

Imagine...you're 18 and you suck in life. In fact, school is the only thing that keeps you of suicide, cause you've been bullied for several years and still hope you make it through life. Yup, that's my life.

The reason i still live is because of the 3 anime and Angels Beats especially. They literally changed my life.

In the summer of 2013, i googled somewhat and found out about Another. Life sucked, so what could i lose? I decided to watch and became a little bit otaku. That anime gaved me tears and joy after long years.

Next one i watched was Angel Beats; the real reason of all. It changed me so good, that i've got a tattoo of its logo and the text 'Ichiban no takaramono.
It taught me that life isn't easy for anyone, but you must get through. In the end, everything can happen and who knows... life can be fun indeed.

The anime was the best mix of sadness, joy, drama, fun i've ever seen and still is. Grass isn't greener at the neighbours house, so keep that in mind. Every life is precious, but only yourself can give it a meaning!

And Clannad is a real tearjerker. It taught me to express my feeling and that it's not needed for a man to hold on to his feelings or to hide them. It showed me that miracles, sometimes, really exists!

I hope that i could inspire someone with my story and in the end, i may not complain anymore. Almost 22 and within 3 years i got some good friends, a steady life with work and the best GF i could ever wish or should deserve! :)

Oh man, every time I listen to Ichiban no takaramono Yui Ver. waterfalls from my eyes. It really broke something inside me that still hasn't been fixed.
Sep 2, 2016 8:03 AM

Feb 2016
Clannad AS changed my life by making me more open minded about anime. I am not a fan of the romance genre in any media besides anime right now. When I first started watching anime, I avoided the genre completely (especially since my own love live was trash). I only wanted to watch action shows with good plots like Psycho-pass, Death Note, and Code Geass. I decided to give Clannad a try because I keep reading it's the greatest thing to hit the romance genre. After being utterly disappointed by the first season, I began the second season and it changed my mind about the romance genre completely. The challenges they went through, the character development, the feels, everything about it just seemed like the perfect romance story. If it wasn't for this show, I don't think I would've watched nearly as much of the stuff that I have on my list. And ironically, romance is my favorite genre now (though I still don't like it in media other than anime)
Nov 11, 2016 4:17 AM
Aug 2016
Death Note Change my life back them im emotion-Less Until Now but i still always watch Anime in my mind Anger Hate Rage Emotion Less and i met Anime its Change my Life im Studying,Eating,Sleep every Anime is Emotion
Venturajo1Nov 11, 2016 4:26 AM
Jan 6, 2018 6:26 AM

Sep 2017
ReLIFE. Rhe anime opened my eyes and many real life lessons xan be learn from this.
How?
1. Be confident in your self.
2. Live your life to the fullest.
3. Keep on going and never give up.
4. Cherish the moment because it will not happen again.
Jan 6, 2018 7:18 AM

Feb 2014
Gin no saji taught me to do my best in everything while being aware of my limits, and to not waste my chance to study (poor Komaba-kun)
Jan 6, 2018 7:30 AM

Feb 2015
Aria helped me having a somewhat more optimistic outlook on life.
Jan 6, 2018 7:35 AM

Jan 2016
Lol I made a thread exactly like this and someone on that thread said this thread existed already, haha...

Anyway, on my thread I talked about how Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) made me a lot more sociable and open as a person than I'd been before. Sure, a lot of anime have core messages, but this one was the one that spoke out to me the most.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

119 by Hoppy »»
5 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

27 by perseii »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
20 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.