Forum Settings
Forums

Why are so many people obsessed with anime openings and closing themes?

New
Jul 26, 2016 3:45 PM

Nov 2011
Like I've heard of people who only listen to anime music and I don't get it. Most of the openings and closings for anime at least nowadays are really generic and bland. It's usually the most forgettable j-pop or metalcore tracks that these people obsess over and I don't get it. Seems like people only like these songs because they were used in their favorite anime.

NB4 this thread is shit and pointless.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 26, 2016 3:46 PM

Feb 2013
i agree op, it's all about the insert songs...
it all comes tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down
Jul 26, 2016 3:47 PM
Dec 2015
I have to disagree with you on your thought that most OP's are generic and bland. I find them to be some of the catchiest songs ever. My playlist for anime music consists of OP's and ED's that I loved, both from anime I've seen and those I haven't. Also, while I think that just about everything LISA puts out is generic anime music, you have to admit that all of her music is extremely catchy.
Jul 26, 2016 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
This thread is definitely not pointless. I actually would like to understand why I obsess over anime OPs and EDs. These songs somehow become more memorable because they're part of something greater.

Like, I normally wouldn't listen to the Berserk OP, but picturing Guts while playing that song... just put your grasses on, nothing will be wong.
Jul 26, 2016 3:51 PM

May 2016
You talk like the music in those openings must be something "unique" and "fresh" when that's not even the point...generic and bland? You could say the same shit about the current western music, but people will love it anyway...Music is music, people will like it, people will hate it, it doesn't even matter...In other words...

THIS THREAD IS SHIT AND POINTLESS
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 26, 2016 3:51 PM

Jan 2016
We just like to listen to the openings we don't obsess over them I mean did u listen to that 91 Days and Tales of Zestiria opening song?Shit is lit but I don't think people only listen to anime songs that would make them weebs.
Jul 26, 2016 3:59 PM

Nov 2011
LeWeebJames said:
We just like to listen to the openings we don't obsess over them I mean did u listen to that 91 Days and Tales of Zestiria opening song?Shit is lit but I don't think people only listen to anime songs that would make them weebs.

I don't know what 91 days and tales of Zestria is but I have had people tell me they only listened to anime songs. Some just say that's what they mainly listen to.

GamerUnglued said:
I have to disagree with you on your thought that most OP's are generic and bland. I find them to be some of the catchiest songs ever. My playlist for anime music consists of OP's and ED's that I loved, both from anime I've seen and those I haven't. Also, while I think that just about everything LISA puts out is generic anime music, you have to admit that all of her music is extremely catchy.

If you wanna link me to some of your favorites I'll try them. Also I didn't mean to suggest all were like that but a lot of them are to me especially the more popular ones.
Jul 26, 2016 4:00 PM

Nov 2011
Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:
This thread is definitely not pointless. I actually would like to understand why I obsess over anime OPs and EDs. These songs somehow become more memorable because they're part of something greater.

Like, I normally wouldn't listen to the Berserk OP, but picturing Guts while playing that song... just put your grasses on, nothing will be wong.

I much preferred the music that played within the anime to the opening and closing themes.
Jul 26, 2016 4:01 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Complaining about music being generic is kind of silly. I mean... you have your genres of preference after all, not like you'd mind getting more of what you like. Anime OPs/EDs are often very catchy in their simplicity for example, that's enough for me
Jul 26, 2016 4:02 PM

Jun 2016
Man i always lisen openings and endings that i like , i also like a lot of OST , like look what person don't like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Opening 1 like wtf when i first start to watch anime and heard the openings i was like wtf is this shit but after you start an episode and lisen to the opening like 10 times you start to like it , exemple: HxH (2011) opening when i first heard that opening , i was like this is the worst opening ever and after 20-30 ep i start liked it.
The same go for OST.
So yea...
Jul 26, 2016 4:03 PM

Jul 2016
Look at the opening and closing themes for this season alone. Definitely not Generic or Bland

Myth&Roid Generic? Bland? Nope.
Flow popped out some of the best shit since forever.
TK nailed it also nowhere near generic or bland.
Binaria killing it - also not generic
batta making me watch that JoJo opening every time.

This is only from this season alone, there's many more, I don't feel like searching or thinking of more, I only said the ones out of the top of my head.

Guilty Crown is considered by a lot to be shit (from 2011) yet look at them openings. Pointless thread indeed.
Jul 26, 2016 4:05 PM

Sep 2009
Waifu_Strangler said:

I don't know what 91 days and tales of Zestria is but I have had people tell me they only listened to anime songs. Some just say that's what they mainly listen to.

I listen to Anime music per se but not exclusively from OP/ED and especially not the generic stuff. I'd say I'm spread pretty far and thin from the Space Dandy OST, Katanagatari's second ED Refulgence, to recently Teddyloid's Pipo Password from Space Luluco ED and it's subsequent remixes. There's actually tons of good music produced for Anime if you look in the right places.
LordLagannJul 26, 2016 4:11 PM
Jul 26, 2016 4:05 PM

Jul 2016
I only listen to an anime opening as if it's real music if I really, really like it. Needless to say, I haven't found one yet that has been up to my picky ass taste.

Was it the shyness in my soul that made me lonely just like you? No one noticed I was there, when I walked into the room.

-Freddie Mercury
Jul 26, 2016 4:11 PM
Dec 2015
GamerUnglued said:

If you wanna link me to some of your favorites I'll try them. Also I didn't mean to suggest all were like that but a lot of them are to me especially the more popular ones.[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bm8vZVFYyU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEGb4MPV6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTSvPyOuKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__KQRy-xSrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_t47BVtPuE

These are 5 that come to the top of my head as some of my favorites that are a bit more popular. There are plenty of others I like, such as both of Toradora's OP's, Clannad Afterstory, Higurashi's first OP, and both of Nagi no Asukara's OP's.
Jul 26, 2016 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
GamerUnglued said:
GamerUnglued said:

If you wanna link me to some of your favorites I'll try them. Also I didn't mean to suggest all were like that but a lot of them are to me especially the more popular ones.

These are 5 that come to the top of my head as some of my favorites that are a bit more popular. There are plenty of others I like, such as both of Toradora's OP's, Clannad Afterstory, Higurashi's first OP, and both of Nagi no Asukara's OP's.[/quote]

Maybe it's just me but while I found some of the musical elements interesting such as the intro to the Steins Gate theme I found them mostly bland and forgettable especially in terms of their choruses. It really seems like a lot of these shows recycle the same chorus :/
Jul 26, 2016 4:35 PM
Dec 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
GamerUnglued said:

Maybe it's just me but while I found some of the musical elements interesting such as the intro to the Steins Gate theme I found them mostly bland and forgettable especially in terms of their choruses. It really seems like a lot of these shows recycle the same chorus :/
Really? I feel like the theme for Steins Gate is extremely catchy and perfectly captures the time travel theme. These are the choruses that are always stuck in my head, especially the themes for Shigatsu and Air.
Jul 26, 2016 4:37 PM
Jan 2016
I like them. Their different from all the western music I grew up listening to,and now I only listen to Anime music. OST's and insert songs are good too, but I feel the opening and ED are a very important part of the Anime and can be quite catchy and nice to listen to. Now of course there are some songs I don't like, but that's besides the point.
Jul 26, 2016 4:38 PM

Jan 2009
@Waifu_Strangler

i thought you hate generalizations? but you yourself is generalizing on this thread

but personally i enjoy the beat or tempo of anime songs, im subscribed to a lot of anime english cover makers in youtube too

the beat/tempo are better than western music or local musics we have here
Jul 26, 2016 4:38 PM
Apr 2016
I don' t know anyone who only listens to anime music. And people like them so much because a lot of the time, they're better to listen to, at least, than the songs we have in cartoons and other shows in America or their country. Not to mention they're really catchy.
Jul 26, 2016 4:43 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:
@Waifu_Strangler

i thought you hate generalizations? but you yourself is generalizing on this thread

but personally i enjoy the beat or tempo of anime songs, im subscribed to a lot of anime english cover makers in youtube too

Isn't generalizing when you assume all or the same? I just meant most popular anime themes or anime themes in general I find bland but their are plenty I do like a lot.
Jul 26, 2016 4:48 PM

May 2015
Nagitoxhxc said:
Look at the opening and closing themes for this season alone. Definitely not Generic or Bland

This is only from this season alone, there's many more, I don't feel like searching or thinking of more, I only said the ones out of the top of my head.

Guilty Crown is considered by a lot to be shit (from 2011) yet look at them openings. Pointless thread indeed.

Myth & and Roid is a good band but the OP they did for Re:Zero was shit fam. Everything else they did was better from Bubuki Buranki ED to Styx Helix.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 26, 2016 4:54 PM

Jan 2016
Yea most anime OPs and EDs tend to be the generic j-pop stuff, but there are a few anime OPs and EDs i enjoy. As to why people enjoy them, I think it's because anime OPs and EDs are different from most Western Music. I think it's more accurate to say that these people are more interested in J-pop than if it is actually an OP or ED of an anime, but I guess the song being a part of the anime also increases their enjoyment of the song.
Jul 26, 2016 4:54 PM

Jan 2016
It all comes down to preferences. Or maybe you just have a shit taste on music? xD

But seriously, just the line up of OPs from Fairy Tail, alone(which has 22) is great. That's just an example among many others. So, I don't really know what you're talking about.
ethotJul 26, 2016 4:59 PM
Jul 26, 2016 4:57 PM

Jan 2009
Waifu_Strangler said:
j0x said:
@Waifu_Strangler

Isn't generalizing when you assume all or the same? I just meant most popular anime themes or anime themes in general I find bland but their are plenty I do like a lot.

err no, generalization is making broad statements from little sample size so it does not necessarily mean ALL are the same but whats the majority of characteristic you think about a group of people/things

i see that your definition of generalization is overgeneralization already
Jul 26, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2015
Because pretty-colors are nice and entertain.

-Mastergold
Jul 26, 2016 5:07 PM

Jul 2016
RainyRai said:
Nagitoxhxc said:

Myth & and Roid is a good band but the OP they did for Re:Zero was shit fam. Everything else they did was better from Bubuki Buranki ED to Styx Helix.

I personally think Bubuki Burankis ED is the worst one of Myth&Roid but Styx Helix and L.L.L is best.

I quite liked the OP from Re:Zero but I know it's not to everyones taste
Jul 26, 2016 5:14 PM

Apr 2011
The truth is, I do only listen to j-music and OSTs. If it comes from anime or not I won't even know most of the times since I always go for my favorite artists full albums. In a nutshell, I don't care from where it comes from, I'll maybe rather not know.
I believe that, for a significant ammount of listeners (teenagers), it's all about getting closer to their hobbie (weebo or not) even though they would probably be better off with western music in most part. Just like they find some sort of tradition in that and you knlw what I mean, wannabe etc.
In my position, I love j-music because of its overall compositions and I think that, mainly, the fact that I don't know what the music is about due to language barriers, it gives me the freedom to make my own interpretation in which I find great satisfaction and more importantly, inspiration. Instrumental is all that matters to me, and I am really selective about that.
Jul 26, 2016 5:31 PM

Jul 2015
Given the fact that I hate American music now and am not a j-pop/j-rock expert, I rely on anime for my music, hence why I make such a big deal over themes and closings.

To me, any J-pop/J-rock songs are better than American.
Jul 26, 2016 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
chingchongchingchong , hory shit best song ever .
Jul 26, 2016 5:37 PM

Nov 2011
A5IAN said:
Given the fact that I hate American music now and am not a j-pop/j-rock expert, I rely on anime for my music, hence why I make such a big deal over themes and closings.

There's plenty of good American music if you look past the garbage that's on the radio bro. Also Japan and America aren't the only countries.
Jul 26, 2016 5:40 PM

Jul 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
A5IAN said:

There's plenty of good American music if you look past the garbage that's on the radio bro. Also Japan and America aren't the only countries.

Thing is, when i did used to listen to American music, i only listened to the modern stuff, and hip-hop was my favorite. Disliked jazz, HATED country, hated the oldies and still do, etc. Now, though... I even hate the new stuff.

I do listen to K-pop here and there, but just prefer J-pop/J-rock a little more
Jul 26, 2016 5:51 PM

Nov 2011
A5IAN said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Thing is, when i did used to listen to American music, i only listened to the modern stuff, and hip-hop was my favorite. Disliked jazz, HATED country, hated the oldies and still do, etc. Now, though... I even hate the new stuff.

I'd rec you stuff but I don't know your taste well enough to know what to rec. Personally I never liked rap or hip hop, can't get into regular jazz, I like some older country but not much I'd listen to on a regular basis, not sure what you count as oldies (That can go from Frank Sinatra to Guns n Roses). I don't like any new mainstream music.
Jul 26, 2016 6:03 PM

Dec 2013
I could not agree more. While there are a few great opening and ending themes, most are annoying af, especially those attached to action shounen. If I were a classically trained anime (orchestral) composer I'd be weeping at this phenomenon/obsession...
Jul 26, 2016 6:04 PM

Jan 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Most of the openings and closings for anime at least nowadays are really generic and bland.
idk, nowadays-ness indeed feel generic and bland(eventho' we didn't heard all of it)

Waifu_Strangler said:
It's usually the most forgettable j-pop or metalcore tracks that these people obsess over and I don't get it.
lol, I have that thought all along, tho' I'm not questionin' them

Waifu_Strangler said:
Seems like people only like these songs because they were used in their favorite anime.
Idk that's the only reason, but op or ed of favorite anime usually get the big chances to be liken

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 26, 2016 6:09 PM

Feb 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:
Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:

I much preferred the music that played within the anime to the opening and closing themes.
so my first post wasn't that far off from the truth o0
Jul 26, 2016 6:09 PM

Nov 2011
Gymkata said:
I could not agree more. While there are a few great opening and ending themes, most are annoying af, especially those attached to action shounen. If I were a classically trained anime (orchestral) composer I'd be weeping at this phenomenon/obsession...

katiak_Ula said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Most of the openings and closings for anime at least nowadays are really generic and bland.
idk, nowadays-ness indeed feel generic and bland(eventho' we didn't heard all of it)

Waifu_Strangler said:
It's usually the most forgettable j-pop or metalcore tracks that these people obsess over and I don't get it.
lol, I have that thought all along, tho' I'm not questionin' them

Waifu_Strangler said:
Seems like people only like these songs because they were used in their favorite anime.
Idk that's the only reason, but op or ed of favorite anime usually get the big chances to be liken

Glad to see a bit more folks in agreement. I geuss it's all a matter of taste but to me a lot of popular anime openings are no better than most mainstream radio music.
Jul 26, 2016 7:21 PM

Jul 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
A5IAN said:

I'd rec you stuff but I don't know your taste well enough to know what to rec. Personally I never liked rap or hip hop, can't get into regular jazz, I like some older country but not much I'd listen to on a regular basis, not sure what you count as oldies (That can go from Frank Sinatra to Guns n Roses). I don't like any new mainstream music.

Appreciate the kind gesture, but no thanks. I'm rather happy with my songs i have.
Jul 26, 2016 7:24 PM

Sep 2012
People get sentimental attachment to the music because it's associated with a show they like.

It's more than just a song.

Who "only" listens to anime OP and ED songs? Do these people actually exist?
Jul 26, 2016 9:01 PM

May 2015
I'm one of those people! I hate American music because it all sounds the same to me. With anime openings and endings I end up listening to them multiple times, because, well, they're attached to each anime episode I watch. And as I listen to them more, I begin to really like them. And I don't really know what this "everything's generic J-pop" is all about. There's plenty of variety in my opinion.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 26, 2016 9:07 PM

Nov 2011
Eve778 said:
I'm one of those people! I hate American music because it all sounds the same to me. With anime openings and endings I end up listening to them multiple times, because, well, they're attached to each anime episode I watch. And as I listen to them more, I begin to really like them. And I don't really know what this "everything's generic J-pop" is all about. There's plenty of variety in my opinion.

All American music sounds the same? I fail to see how the Music of Frank Zappa sounds anything like the music of Taylor Swift or how The Residents sound like Michael Jackson.
Jul 26, 2016 9:14 PM

Jun 2014
Yet again, why do you care OP?

Jul 26, 2016 9:21 PM

Jun 2016
Are they? i never really noticed the obsession that much.

Jul 26, 2016 9:24 PM

May 2014
For me at least, the opening and ending themes in my favorite anime hit me with the nostalgia train...even when my memory's a little hazy years after watching something, I can hear the opening or ending and immediately be taken back, & that's always nice.

Also, there are some simply great anime songs nowadays that definitely aren't bland or generic- look at all the JoJo openings and endings!! Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan and most recently Mob Psycho 100, as well as 91 Days have wonderful music...although everyone's taste is different ofc.

Openings/endings can also be really important from a story standpoint as there's often foreshadowing in them & they can signify a tonal shift in the story...I like to appreciate the little extra effort from some anime studios for that!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2016 9:25 PM

Nov 2011
Kagami said:

Why shouldn't I care? Why should anybody care about anything? Maybe I don't really care I just felt like making a thread. Since everyone else is making shitty pointless threads it only makes sense that I'd do the same no?
Jul 26, 2016 9:27 PM

Feb 2014
I agree. There are only a couple of opening and ending songs that I like from each season (if at all), mostly the ones that are slow and mellow. I can't stand the annoying metalcore songs from shounen and action anime that more or less sound the same to me.

I'd actually like to see more shows with openings like in Shinsekai Yori, which doesn't waste your time by having a separate one and a half minute long opening, trying to peddle the solo career of the voice actress and their CDs. Instead it quickly gets to the point by simply playing the theme in the background after the opening scene.
Jul 26, 2016 9:28 PM

Jun 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Kagami said:

Why shouldn't I care? Why should anybody care about anything? Maybe I don't really care I just felt like making a thread. Since everyone else is making shitty pointless threads it only makes sense that I'd do the same no?

You'd have a point if your entire MAL career wasn't you saying you have a big dick and making bait threads (which you admitted to).
Jul 26, 2016 9:32 PM

Dec 2013
Vhailor said:

I'd actually like to see more shows with openings like in Shinsekai Yori...

Hell yeah. I'd sure spring for more Dvořák-tier Op music.
Jul 26, 2016 9:32 PM

Nov 2011
Strawberrycake48 said:
For me at least, the opening and ending themes in my favorite anime hit me with the nostalgia train...even when my memory's a little hazy years after watching something, I can hear the opening or ending and immediately be taken back, & that's always nice.

Also, there are some simply great anime songs nowadays that definitely aren't bland or generic- look at all the JoJo openings and endings!! Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan and most recently Mob Psycho 100, as well as 91 Days have wonderful music...although everyone's taste is different ofc.

Openings/endings can also be really important from a story standpoint as there's often foreshadowing in them & they can signify a tonal shift in the story...I like to appreciate the little extra effort from some anime studios for that!

I haven't watched the Jojo anime just read the manga but doesn't it use classic rock tracks like Roundabout by Yes?
Jul 26, 2016 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
Kagami said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

You'd have a point if your entire MAL career wasn't you saying you have a big dick and making bait threads (which you admitted to).

I spend more of my MAL time chatting on my profile or Hanging out in a few clubs than on the actual forums nowadays. There's little point in coming here now that all the good thread ideas have been used up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 6 minutes ago

4 by deg »»
10 seconds ago

» Which of your Character Favorites (profile) do you think are the least faithful/biggest potential cheaters?

IpreferEcchi - 25 seconds ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
25 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

19 by SnipeStrike »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

25 by Morphun »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 11 hours ago

40 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.